Wednesday 10 April 1968
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Orlando Jones and Metin Göktepe.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Honey by Bobby Goldsboro.
In UK What A Wonderful World / Cabaret by Louis Armstrong was in the top 5 hits.
The Young Girls of Rochefort, directed by Jacques Demy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Confessions Of Nat Turner by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Drei Frauen im Haus.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi or Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 10 April 1968!
Which were the important events of 10 April 1968 ?
- Orlando Jones: American actor and comedian.
- Metin Göktepe: Turkish photographer and journalist (d. 1996).
- Gustavs Celmins: Latvian politician (Born 1899).
- George M! opens at Palace Theater NYC for 435 performances
- 40th Academy Awards - Heat of the Night, Rod Steiger and Katharine Hepburn win.
- US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- Shipwreck of the New Zealand inter-island ferry TEV Wahine outside Wellington harbour.
- President Mobutu releases captured mercenaries in the Congo.
- Josef Bachmann tries to assassinate Rudi Dutschke, leader of the left-wing movement (APO) in Germany, and tries to commit suicide afterwards, failing in both, although Dutschke dies of his brain injuries 11 years later.
- German left-wing students blockade the Springer Press HQ in Berlin and many are arrested (one of them Ulrike Meinhof).
- U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1968.
- Pierre Trudeau becomes Canada's 15th Prime Minister.
- English politician Enoch Powell makes his controversial Rivers of Blood Speech.
- MGM's classic film ''The Wizard of Oz'' makes its NBC debut after being telecast on CBS since 1956. It will remain on NBC for the next eight years.
- Surgeons at the Hôpital de la Pitié, Paris, perform Europe's first heart transplant, on Clovis Roblain.
- The United Methodist Church is created by the union of the former Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren churches.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 10 April 1968
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Goldsboro - Honey
- Union Gap - Young Girl
- Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
- The Box Tops - Cry Like A Baby
- Aretha Franklin - (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
- The Beatles - Lady Madonna
- Georgie Fame - The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde
- The Delfonics - La - La Means I Love You
- The Monkees - Valleri
- Manfred Mann - Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?