Wednesday 11 August 1971
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Aaron Miller and Julie Anne Clark.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to How Can You Mend A Broken Heart by Bee Gees.
In UK I'm Still Waiting by Diana Ross was in the top 5 hits.
Deep End, directed by Jerzy Skolimowski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Galaxy Game or Star Trek.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 August 1971!
Which were the important events of 11 August 1971 ?
- Brazil - Student�s Day, Lawyer�s Day, Foundation of the Law Studies in Brazil
- Zimbabwe - Heroes Day
- Taiwan - Valentine's Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Tiburtius
- St. Chromatius
- St. Equitius
- St. Gery/Gaugericus
- St. Susanna
- Aaron Miller: Buffalo, New York -- NHL defenseman (Colorado Avalanche).
- Julie Anne Clark: Tucson, Arizona -- Playmate (Mar, 1991).
- Djamel Bouras: French judo champion, nicknamed "La Bourrasque" (the squall) for his sudden fits of temper.
- Alejandra Barros: Mexican actress and screenwriter.
- Julie Clarke: American model and actress.
- Tommy Mooney: English football player
- Construction begins on Louisiana Superdome
- Harmon Killebrew hits home runs #500 and 501.
- Three thousand people from Belfast and Derry flee to the Republic of Ireland because of the violence.
- Syria severs diplomatic relations with Jordan because of border clashes.
- British troops are stationed on the Ireland border to stop arms smuggling.
- Bahrain declares independence as the State of Bahrain (Kingdom of Bahrain as of February 2002).
- The number of British troops in Northern Ireland is raised to 12,500.
- President Richard Nixon announces that the United States will no longer convert dollars to gold at a fixed value, effectively ending the Bretton Woods system. He also imposes a 90-day freeze on wages, prices and rents.
- Vietnam War: Australia and New Zealand decide to withdraw their troops from Vietnam.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
- Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
- John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads
- Tommy James - Draggin' The Line
- James Taylor - You've Got A Friend
- The Raiders - Indian Reservation (The Lament Of The Cherokee Reservation Indian)
- Chicago - Beginnings
- What The World Needs Now Is Love/Abraham Martin And John (Medley) - Tom Clay
- Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
- Five Man Electrical Band - Signs
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?