Monday 11 March 1968
It was Monday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Barrowman and Stéphane Bédard.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding.
In UK Cinderella Rockefella by Esther & Abi Ofarim was in the top 5 hits.
Stay Away, Joe, directed by Peter Tewksbury, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while Gipsy Moth Circles The World by Francis Chichester was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Starparade.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi or Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 March 1968!
Which were the important events of 11 March 1968 ?
- Zambia - Youth Day.
- Saint Rosina
- Saint Alberta
- Saint Vindician
- Blessed Auria
- Lesotho - Moshoeshoe Day.
- Lithuania - Reestablishment of Lithuania's Independence.
- United States - Johnny Appleseed Day, 311 Day
- Blessed John Righi
- John Barrowman: Actor (Peter Fairchild-Central Park West).
- Stéphane Bédard: Canadian lawyer and politician.
- Lisa Loeb: American singer-songwriter guitarist and actress (Liz and Lisa).
- Takao Osawa: Japanese actor.
- Anti-Zionist Clandestine Radio Voice of El Assifa starts transmitting
- Otis Redding posthumously receives gold record for "(Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay".
- Dmitri Shostakovich completes his 12th string quartet.
- U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson mandates that all computers purchased by the federal government support the ASCII character encoding.Lyndon B. Johnson (March 11, 1968). Memorandum Approving the Adoption by the Federal Government of a Standard Code for Information Interchange. ''The American Presidency Project''. Accessed 2008-04-14.
- Mauritius achieves independence from British rule.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
- Dionne Warwick - (Theme From) Valley Of The Dolls
- Paul Mauriat and His Orchestra - Love Is Blue (L'Amour Est Bleu)
- 1910 Fruitgum Company - Simon Says
- First Edition - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)
- The Temptations - I Wish It Would Rain
- The Delfonics - La - La Means I Love You
- The Monkees - Valleri
- Aretha Franklin - (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
- Sam & Dave - I Thank You
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?