Wednesday 11 November 1959, Veteran's Day
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio (see planets position on November 11, 1959). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Vincent Irizarry in Queens and Mackenzie Phillips.
In that special week of November people in US were listening to Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin.
In UK Travellin' Light by Cliff Richard & The Shadows was in the top 5 hits.
Le Bossu, directed by André Hunebelle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Thirteenth Apostle by Eugene Vale was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Shotgun Slade.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 11 November 1959
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1959!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1959 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Mackenzie Phillips: Actress.
- Vincent Irizarry in Queens: New York, USA; actor (Guiding Light, Santa Barbara).
- Lee Haney: American bodybuilder.
- Richard Rowe: English jockey and trainer.
- Christian Schwarzenegger: Swiss criminologist and academic.
- 1st episode of Rocky & His Friends airs
- Seals Stadium in San Francisco is demolished.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- The Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue
- Paul Anka - Put Your Head On My Shoulder
- Della Reese - Don't You Know
- Andy Williams - Lonely Street
- Sandy Nelson - Teen Beat
- Wink Martindale - Deck Of Cards
- Jerry Wallace - Primrose Lane
- Paul Evans - Seven Little Girls Sitting In The Back Seat
- Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number
Top #10 R&B songs
- The Coasters - Poison Ivy
- Brook Benton - So Many Ways
- Della Reese - Don't You Know
- Jackie Wilson - You Better Know It
- <P6>(If You Cry) <P255>True Love, True Love - The Drifters
- Nina Simone - I Loves You, Porgy
- The Drifters - Dance With Me
- Dee Clark - Hey Little Girl
- Bo Diddley - Say Man
- Ruth Brown - I Don't Know
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?