Sunday 13 December 1970
It was Sunday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Elizabeth Patricia Reilly in North Providence and Tonja Yevette Buford-Bailey in Dayton.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Tears Of A Clown by Smokey Robinson.
In UK I Hear You Knocking by Dave Edmunds was in the top 5 hits.
Rio Lobo, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while Islands In The Stream by Ernest Hemingway was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Levaci.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 1970!
Which were the important events of 13 December 1970 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
- Elizabeth Patricia Reilly in North Providence: Rhode Island, USA; Miss America-Rhode Island (1996).
- Tonja Yevette Buford-Bailey in Dayton: Ohio, USA; 400 metre hurdler (Olympics-bronze-1996).
- George Van Os Jr in Houston: Texas, USA; team handball left back (Olympics-1996).
- Bart Johnson: TV Actor.
- Tonja Buford-Bailey: American hurdler and coach.
- Greg Chappell scores 108 on Test debut versus England at the WACA.
- The government of Poland announces food price increases. Riots and looting lead to a bloody confrontation between the rioters and the government on December 15, and martial law December 17–22.
- The USSR's ''Venera 7'' becomes the first spacecraft to land successfully on Venus and transmit data back to Earth.
- The South Korean ferry ''Namyong Ho'' capsizes off Korean Strait 308 people are killed.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 13 December 1970
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Smokey Robinson - The Tears Of A Clown
- The Partridge Family - I Think I Love You
- Brian Hyland - Gypsy Woman
- The 5th Dimension - One Less Bell To Answer
- Jackson 5 - I'll Be There
- George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
- Santana - Black Magic Woman
- Badfinger - No Matter What
- Chicago - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
- The Guess Who - Share The Land
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?