Twelve days after Easter Sunday, Paul McCartney broke up with the Beatles, later in the year, Elvis Presley the all-American rock and roll star met with President Richard M. Nixon, not only for a social call but to help the president with his war on drugs.
The first celebration of the earth day was in 1970.
Launching of Apollo 13 to the moon was on April 11. This was the third lunar landing mission to the moon. Three astronauts were on the mission to the Fra Mauro highlands of the moon were Fred Wallace Haise, John Leonard Swigert, and James Arthur Lovell. The mission was to explore and conduct geological experiments of the Imbrium Basin. Two days later on April 13, 1970, an oxygen tank aboard the Apollo 13 exploded. Landing on the moon was out of the questions and getting the astronauts home safe became the new mission. On April 17, 1970, the Apollo 13 returned to Earth.
At the start of the 70s decade, the consumption of oil in the United States of America was at an all-time high. The American public was undeterred by the imminent energy crisis characterized by fuel shortage and a spike in the price of gasoline. The lawmakers in Washington encouraged the American public saying the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC) could not afford to lose the American market. OAPEC retaliated by imposing an oil embargo for the better part of 1970 and subsequent years.
Friday 13 is a day of bad luck. This was evident to residents of East Pakistan when a tidal wave caused by a cyclone killed over 200,000 people on November 13. This was the third storm to kill over 200,000 people in the region.
These and many more events that took place in 1970 set the stage for changing times in the new decade. It also paved the way for the fashion centered 1980s.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 43rd edition of the Oscar ceremony
George C. Scott
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1970?
Which were the most popular books released in 1970 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1970
- Norman Borlaug
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- Hannes Alfvén
- Louis Néel
- Paul Samuelson
- Luis Federico Leloir
Physiology or Medicine
- Julius Axelrod
- Ulf von Euler
- Bernard Katz
Which were the top hits of 1970?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Beatles - Let It Be
- Jackson 5 - I'll Be There
- Carpenters - (They Long To Be) Close To You
- B.J. Thomas - Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head
- Bread - Make It With You
- Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
- Three Dog Night - Mama Told Me (Not To Come)
- The Partridge Family - I Think I Love You
- Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- The Jackson 5 - The Love You Save
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Elvis Presley - The Wonder Of You
- Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
- England World Cup Squad - Back Home
- Lee Marvin - Wand'rin' Star
- Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Chile
- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Tears Of A Clown
- Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
- The Jackson Five - I Want You Back
- Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky
- Freda Payne - Band Of Gold
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1970
- Total population: 3.7 billion (3,700,437,046 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.4 billion, that is 37.0% of the total population of 1970 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +74.7 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +2.06%
- Average density: 25.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1970?
- 01 Jan 1970 The Epoch (Time 0 for UNIX systems, Midnight GMT)
- 02 Jan 1970 Dutch premiere of musical Hair in Amsterdam
- 03 Jan 1970 Jimmy closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 84 performances
- 04 Jan 1970 New York City transit fare rises from 20 cents to 30 cents, new larger tokens used
- 05 Jan 1970 KPTS TV channel 8 in Hutchinson-Wichita, KS (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 07 Jan 1970 Farmers sue Max Yasgur for US$35,000 in damages caused by "Woodstock".
- 09 Jan 1970 Constitution of Singapore enacted.
- 10 Jan 1970 Preview Center Opens
- 11 Jan 1970 Super Bowl IV: Kansas City Chiefs beat Minnesota Vikings, 23-7 in New Orleans; Most Valuable Player: Len Dawson, Quarterback.
- 12 Jan 1970 Boeing 747 makes its maiden voyage.
- 14 Jan 1970 Diana Ross amp The Supremes perform their farewell live concert together at the Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas. Ross's replacement, Jean Terrell, is introduced onstage at the end of the last show.
- 15 Jan 1970 Republic Biafra disbands, joins Nigeria.
- 16 Jan 1970 Colonel Kadhaffi becomes premier of Libya.
- 17 Jan 1970 Sporting News names Willie Mays as Player of the Decade for the 1960s
- 18 Jan 1970 NFL Pro Bowl: West beats East 16-13.
- 19 Jan 1970 UCLA fires Angela Davis for being a communist
- 20 Jan 1970 Super Fight, computer mock championship between Muhammed Ali and Marciano.
- 21 Jan 1970 Panama Boeing 747 1st flight NY-London
- 22 Jan 1970 Test debut of Barry Richards, South Africa versus Australia, Cape Town.
- 23 Jan 1970 US launches second generation weather satellite, ITOS 1.
- 24 Jan 1970 Valeri Muratov skates world record 500m (38.99 seconds).
- 26 Jan 1970 Mick Jagger is fined £200 for possession of cannabis.
- 27 Jan 1970 American movie rating system modifies "M" rating to "PG".
- 31 Jan 1970 Grateful Dead members busted on LSD charges
- 01 Feb 1970 Ford Frick, Earle Combs and Jesse Haines elected to Hall of Fame
- 02 Feb 1970 Pete Maravich becomes first to score 3,000 college basketball points.
- 04 Feb 1970 Charles Aznavour opens at Music Box Theater NYC for 23 performances
- 05 Feb 1970 WSCV TV channel 51 in Ft Lauderdale, Florida (IND) suspends broadcasting
- 06 Feb 1970 Graeme Pollock completes 274 versus Australia at Durban.
- 07 Feb 1970 Hollywood Palace, last airs on ABC TV
- 10 Feb 1970 26.4 cm precipitation falls on Mount Washington NH (state record)
- 11 Feb 1970 26.37 cm (10.38 inches) of rainfall, Mount Washington, New Hampshire (state 24-hour record).
- 12 Feb 1970 Anthony Shaffers Sleuth, premieres in New York City
- 13 Feb 1970 NL offices begins move from Cin to SF (completed February 23)
- 14 Feb 1970 Gantry closes at George Abbott Theater NYC after 1 performance
- 15 Feb 1970 KAMU TV channel 15 in College Station, TX (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 16 Feb 1970 Joe Frazier knocks out Jimmy Ellis in five rounds for undisputed heavyweight boxing crown.
- 17 Feb 1970 Jeffrey McDonald slices up his wife and daughter
- 18 Feb 1970 Chicago 7 defendants found innocent of inciting to riot
- 19 Feb 1970 AL Cy Young winner Denny McLain suspended for bookmaking
- 21 Feb 1970 Pathet Lao conquers Xieng Khuang and Muong Suy in Laos.
- 22 Feb 1970 Charles Aznavour closes at Music Box Theater NYC after 23 performances
- 23 Feb 1970 Holy Eucharist given by women for first time in Roman Catholic service.
- 24 Feb 1970 KVDO TV channel 3 in Salem, OR (IND) begins broadcasting
- 26 Feb 1970 Georgy opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 4 performances
- 27 Feb 1970 New York Times (falsely) reports US army has ended domestic surveillance.
- 28 Feb 1970 Georgy closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 4 performances
- 01 Mar 1970 End of US commercial whale hunting.
- 02 Mar 1970 Rhodesia becomes independent Republic
- 04 Mar 1970 New York Rangers set then NHL record of 126 games without being shut-out
- 05 Mar 1970 Edison Theater opens at 240 W 47th St, New York City
- 06 Mar 1970 Beatles release "Let it Be" in United Kingdom.
- 07 Mar 1970 Ice Dance Championship at Ljubljana won by Pakhomova and Gorshkov (URS)
- 08 Mar 1970 WTCI TV channel 45 in Chattanooga, TN (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 10 Mar 1970 Barbra Streisand records The Singer andI Can Do It
- 11 Mar 1970 12th Grammy Awards: "Aquarius", Crosby Stills and Nash, Peggy Lee win.
- 12 Mar 1970 US lowers voting age from 21 to 18
- 13 Mar 1970 100 year Beehive anniversary ends in brawl in Amsterdam
- 15 Mar 1970 Purlie opens at Broadway Theater NYC for 689 performances
- 16 Mar 1970 New English Bible published
- 17 Mar 1970 US casts their first United Nations Security Council veto (Support England).
- 18 Mar 1970 KAEC TV channel 19 in Lufkin, TX (ABC) suspends broadcasting
- 19 Mar 1970 W German chancellor and E German Premier Willy Brandt meet
- 20 Mar 1970 Agency for Cultural and Technical Co-operation (ACCT) (Agence de Coopération Culturelle et Technique).
- 21 Mar 1970 The first Earth Day proclamation is issued by Mayor of San Francisco Joseph Alioto.
- 22 Mar 1970 Blood Red Roses opens and closes at John Golden Theater, New York City
- 23 Mar 1970 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 25 Mar 1970 Concorde makes its first supersonic flight (700 MPH/1,127 KPH).
- 26 Mar 1970 Golden Gate Park Conservatory made city landmark
- 27 Mar 1970 Ringo releases his 1st solo album Sentimental Journey
- 28 Mar 1970 1,086 die when 7.4 quake destroys 254 villages (Gediz Turkey)
- 29 Mar 1970 Look to the Lilies opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 25 performances
- 30 Mar 1970 Applause opens at Palace Theater NYC for 900 performances
- 31 Mar 1970 Federal bankruptcy court allows Seattle Pilots to be sold to Milwaukee.
- 01 Apr 1970 Bud Selig becomes CEO of Milwaukee Brewers
- 02 Apr 1970 Qatar gains independence from Britain.
- 03 Apr 1970 Miriam Hargrave of England passes her drivers test on 40th try
- 04 Apr 1970 Firestone World Tournament of Champions won by Don Johnson.
- 05 Apr 1970 WSNS TV channel 44 in Chicago, IL (IND) begins broadcasting
- 06 Apr 1970 BBC Radio 4 broadcasts the first edition of ''PM''.
- 07 Apr 1970 Effects of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-moon Marigolds, premieres in New York City
- 08 Apr 1970 Cry for Us All opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 8 performances
- 09 Apr 1970 Paul McCartney announces official split of The Beatles.
- 10 Apr 1970 An avalanche at a tuberculosis sanatorium in the French Alps kills 74, mostly young boys.
- 11 Apr 1970 Apollo 13 launched to Moon; unable to land, returns in 6 days
- 13 Apr 1970 Greek composer Mikis Theordorakis is freed.
- 14 Apr 1970 Boy Friend opens at Ambassador Theater NYC for 119 performances
- 15 Apr 1970 Cry for Us All closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 8 performances
- 16 Apr 1970 Richard Josef Neutra, Austrian/American architect (Who Bought America?), dies at age 78.
- 17 Apr 1970 Apollo 13 limps back safely, Beech-built oxygen tank no help
- 19 Apr 1970 Look to the Lilies closes at Lunt-Fontanne NYC after 25 performances
- 20 Apr 1970 74th Boston Marathon won by Ron Hill of Great Britain in 2:10:30 (new US marathon record).
- 21 Apr 1970 Reds clout 7 HRs by 6 batters, Braves counter with 3 HRs, 6 for one team and 9 different batters for two teams, all tie or set records
- 22 Apr 1970 Park opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 5 performances
- 24 Apr 1970 China PR launches its 1st satellite transmitting song East is Red
- 25 Apr 1970 Park closes at John Golden Theater NYC after 5 performances
- 26 Apr 1970 Company opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 690 performances
- 28 Apr 1970 Vietnam War: U.S. President Richard M. Nixon formally authorizes American combat troops to fight communist sanctuaries in Cambodia.
- 29 Apr 1970 Vietnam War: United States and South Vietnamese forces invade Cambodia to hunt Viet Cong.
- 30 Apr 1970 US troops invade Cambodia
- 01 May 1970 Protests erupt in Seattle, Washington, following the announcement by U.S. President Richard Nixon that U.S. Forces in Vietnam would pursue enemy troops into Cambodia, a neutral country.
- 02 May 1970 1st woman jockey at Kentucky Derby (Diane Crump)
- 03 May 1970 24th NBA Championship: New York Knicks beat Los Angeles Lakers, 4 games to 3.
- 04 May 1970 National Guard kills 4 at Kent State in Ohio
- 05 May 1970 US performs nuclear test at Nevada test Site.
- 06 May 1970 Yuchiro Miura of Japan skis down Mount Everest.
- 08 May 1970 Beatles release Let it Be album
- 09 May 1970 100,000s in the USA demonstrate against Vietnam War.
- 10 May 1970 Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Dallas Civitan Golf Open.
- 11 May 1970 Sammy Davis Jr weds Altovise.
- 12 May 1970 KTVM TV channel 6 in Butte, MT (NBC / ABC) begins broadcasting
- 13 May 1970 Beatles movie Let it Be premieres
- 14 May 1970 New York City local newspaper Our Town begins publishing
- 15 May 1970 Mississippi Highway Patrol kills 2 at Jackson State College
- 16 May 1970 Grover Henson Feels Forgotten by Bill Cosby hits #70
- 17 May 1970 Shirley Englehorn wins LPGA Johnny Londoff Chevrolet Golf Tournament.
- 20 May 1970 100,000 march in New York supporting US policies in Vietnam.
- 21 May 1970 US National Guard mobilized to quell disturbances at Ohio State University.
- 22 May 1970 Arab terrorists kill nine children and three adults on a school bus.
- 24 May 1970 Peter Queen quits rock music group Fleetwood Mac to join a religious cult.
- 26 May 1970 The Soviet Tupolev Tu-144 becomes the first commercial transport to exceed Mach 2.
- 27 May 1970 British expedition climbs south face of Annapurna I.
- 28 May 1970 The formerly united Free University of Brussels officially splits into two separate entities, the French-speaking Universite Libre de Bruxelles and the Dutch-speaking Vrije Universiteit Brussel.
- 30 May 1970 Baseball All-Star voting is returned to fans.
- 31 May 1970 At 03:23pm, Yungay Peru levelled by 7.75 earthquake (50-70,000 die)
- 01 Jun 1970 Everything Is Beautiful by Ray Stevens hits #1
- 02 Jun 1970 Norway announces that it has rich oil deposits off its North Sea coast.
- 03 Jun 1970 1st artificial gene synthesized
- 04 Jun 1970 43rd National Spelling Bee: Libby Childress wins spelling croissant
- 05 Jun 1970 KPAX TV channel 8 in Missoula, MT (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 06 Jun 1970 102nd Belmont: John Rotz aboard High Echelon wins in 2:34
- 07 Jun 1970 22nd Emmy Awards: Marcus Welby, Robert Young and Susan Hampshire
- 08 Jun 1970 Players and management end labor dispute up min salary to $12,000
- 09 Jun 1970 Bob Dylan given honorary Doctorate of Music at Princeton University
- 11 Jun 1970 US leaves Wheelus Air Force Base Libya.
- 12 Jun 1970 Pittsburgh Pirates' player Dock Ellis no-hits San Diego Padres, 2-0.
- 13 Jun 1970 In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry hit #1 in the UK
- 14 Jun 1970 Cincinnati Red Stockings loses first game after winning 130 straight.
- 15 Jun 1970 16th LPGA Championship won by Shirley Englehorn
- 16 Jun 1970 Kenneth A Gibson elected 1st black Mayor of Newark, New Jersey
- 17 Jun 1970 Edwin Land patents Polaroid camera
- 18 Jun 1970 United Kingdom general election, 1970: the Conservative Party wins and Edward Heath becomes Prime Minister, ousting the Labour government of Harold Wilson after nearly six years in power. The election result was something of a surprise, as most of the opinion polls had predicted a third successive Labour win.
- 19 Jun 1970 Conservatives win British parliamentary election
- 20 Jun 1970 Ray Stevens Show, debuts on NBC-TV
- 21 Jun 1970 70th US Golf Open: Tony Jacklin shoots a 281 at Hazeltine National, Minnesota
- 22 Jun 1970 Supreme Court ruled juries of less than 12 are constitutional
- 23 Jun 1970 Red Skelton Show, last airs on CBS-TV, moved to NBC-TV
- 24 Jun 1970 Catch 22 opens in movie theaters
- 26 Jun 1970 Frank Robinson hits two grand slams as Baltimore Orioles beat Washington Senators 12-2.
- 28 Jun 1970 Mary Mills wins LPGA Len Immke Buick Golf Open
- 29 Jun 1970 US ends two month military offensive into Cambodia.
- 30 Jun 1970 Colorado State College changes its name to University of Northern Colorado.
- 01 Jul 1970 Denny McLain returns, (leaves trailiing) Tigers beat Yankees in 11
- 02 Jul 1970 1st Boeing 747 to land in Amsterdam and Brussels
- 03 Jul 1970 77th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Margaret Smith beats King (14-12 11-9)
- 04 Jul 1970 84th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Newcombe beats K Rosewall (57 63 62 36 61)
- 05 Jul 1970 Air Canada Flight 621 crashes near Toronto International Airport killing 109 people.
- 06 Jul 1970 California passes 1st no fault divorce law
- 08 Jul 1970 Richard Nixon delivers a special congressional message enunciating Native American Self-Determination as official US Indian policy, leading to the Indian Self-Determination Act.
- 09 Jul 1970 In Atlanta, Chief-No-ka-homa is joined by cousin Chief Round-the-Horn
- 11 Jul 1970 The first tunnel under the Pyrenees links the towns of Aragnouet (France) and Bielsa (Spain).
- 12 Jul 1970 99th British Golf Open: Jack Nicklaus shoots a 283 at St. Andrews
- 13 Jul 1970 Building begins of Amsterdam metro
- 14 Jul 1970 41st All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 5-4 at Riverfront Stadium, Cin
- 15 Jul 1970 Denmark beats Italy 2-0 in first world female soccer championship.
- 16 Jul 1970 Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh opens.
- 17 Jul 1970 Ralph Baer demonstrates his television video game system to Magnavox. Despite a lack of interest from most Magnavox engineers, Bill Enders negotiates an exclusive license to manufacture and distribute the system, and sublicense Sanders Associates' patents on the technology.
- 18 Jul 1970 Boy Friend closes at Ambassador Theater NYC after 119 performances
- 19 Jul 1970 Judy Rankin wins LPGA Springfield Jaycee Golf Open
- 20 Jul 1970 Dodgers Bill Singer no-hits the Phillies 5-0, giving up no walks
- 21 Jul 1970 Clay Kirby has a no-hitter going for 8 inn, but is lifted for a pinch hitter, Reliever Jack Baldschun gives up 3 hits and Padres lose, 3-0
- 23 Jul 1970 Qaboos ibn Sa'id becomes Sultan of Oman after overthrowing his father, Sa'id ibn Taimur initiating massive reforms ;modernisation programs and end to a decade long civil war.
- 24 Jul 1970 International Law Tennis Association institutes 9 point tie break rule
- 25 Jul 1970 (They Long to Be) Close to You reaches #1
- 26 Jul 1970 Reds Johnny Bench hits 3 consecutive HRs of Phillies Steve Carlton
- 27 Jul 1970 Expos beat White Sox 10-6 in the annual Hall of Fame game
- 29 Jul 1970 Six days of race rioting in Hartford, Connecticut.
- 30 Jul 1970 30,000 attend Powder Ridge Rock Festival, Middlefield, Connecticut, USA.
- 31 Jul 1970 37th NFL Chicago All Star Game: Kansas City 24, All Stars 3 (69,940)
- 01 Aug 1970 EAA Convention moves from Rockford Ill to Oshkosh, Wisconsin
- 02 Aug 1970 Baltimore defeats Kansas City 10-8, Orioles 23rd straight win over the Royals
- 03 Aug 1970 Mairiam Hargrave of Yorkshire, passes her driving test on 40th try
- 04 Aug 1970 Jim Morrison arrested for drunkenness
- 05 Aug 1970 US Black Panther leader Huey Newton let out of jail
- 07 Aug 1970 Christine Perfect (McVie) joins Fleetwood Mac
- 08 Aug 1970 New York Yankees honor Casey Stengel, retiring his number 37 (BTG was there)
- 09 Aug 1970 Jane Blalock wins LPGA Lady Carling Golf Open
- 10 Aug 1970 Jim Morrison is tried in Miami on lewd & lascivious behavior
- 11 Aug 1970 Tony Perez becomes the first to hit a home run in the red seats at Riverfront.
- 12 Aug 1970 Curt Flood loses his $41 million antitrust suit against baseball
- 14 Aug 1970 Steven Stills arrested for drug possession
- 15 Aug 1970 Patricia Palinkas becomes 1st woman pro football player (Orlando)
- 16 Aug 1970 52nd PGA Championship: Dave Stockton shoots 279 at Southern Hills, Oklahoma
- 17 Aug 1970 Venera 7 (US), 1st softlanding on Venus, launched
- 23 Aug 1970 Kathy Ahern wins LPGA Southgate Ladies Golf Open
- 24 Aug 1970 Bomb kills one at University of Wisconsin's Army Math Research Center in Madison.
- 26 Aug 1970 The then new feminist movement, led by Betty Friedan, leads a nation-wide Women's Strike for Equality.
- 29 Aug 1970 Black Panthers confront police in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (one policeman killed).
- 31 Aug 1970 59th Davis Cup: USA beats Germany in Cleveland (5-0)
- 01 Sep 1970 Failed assassination attempt on Jordanian King Hussain
- 02 Sep 1970 1st tennis tie break at a Grand Slam (US Open) (9 pt sudden death)
- 03 Sep 1970 After NL record 1,117 consecutive games, Billy Williams asks to sit out
- 04 Sep 1970 Russian ballerina Natalia Makarova gets political asylum
- 05 Sep 1970 Estimated 15 cm (6 inches) of rainfall, Bug Point, Utah (state record).
- 06 Sep 1970 New York Met Tommy Agee hits for the cycle
- 07 Sep 1970 PLO hijacks 4 planes
- 08 Sep 1970 Hijacking (and subsequent destruction) of three airliners to Jordan by Palestinians; the events to follow would later become known as Black September
- 09 Sep 1970 Bowie Kuhn suspends Denny McLain for carrying a gun
- 11 Sep 1970 The Ford Pinto automobile is introduced.
- 12 Sep 1970 1st Concorde lands at Heathrow airport
- 13 Sep 1970 1st NYC Marathon won by Gary Muhrcke in 2:31:38
- 14 Sep 1970 Stevie Miracle marries Rita Wright, [Syreeta]
- 15 Sep 1970 PLO leader Arafat threatens to make a cemetery of Jordan
- 16 Sep 1970 Jordan King Hussein forms military government
- 17 Sep 1970 Jordan launches offensive against guerrilla army
- 18 Sep 1970 Jimi Hendrix dies in London of drug related complications.
- 19 Sep 1970 Mary Tyler Moore show premieres
- 20 Sep 1970 Jim Morrison found not guilty of lewd behavior
- 21 Sep 1970 Monday Night Football premieres on ABC - Browns 31, Jets 21
- 22 Sep 1970 US President Richard Nixon requests 1,000 new FBI agents for college campuses.
- 23 Sep 1970 Abdul Razak bin Hussain becomes Premier of Malaysia
- 24 Sep 1970 Soviet Luna 16 lands on earth after 1st unmanned round trip to moon
- 25 Sep 1970 Ringo releases his Beaucoups of Blues album
- 26 Sep 1970 Judy Rankin wins LPGA Lincoln-Mercury Golf Open
- 27 Sep 1970 Ken Boswell sets second baseman record of 85 games without an error.
- 28 Sep 1970 Words & Music, debuts on NBC-TV
- 29 Sep 1970 NET Festival, last aired
- 30 Sep 1970 New American Bible published
- 01 Oct 1970 63 arrest in riot to buy Rolling Stone tickets in Milano Italy
- 02 Oct 1970 Plane carrying Wichita State University football team crashes killing 30.
- 03 Oct 1970 Coco closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 333 performances
- 04 Oct 1970 Kansas City Chiefs Jan Stenerud kicks 55-yard field goal
- 05 Oct 1970 John Creach, joins Jefferson Airplane
- 07 Oct 1970 General Juan José Torres becomes the new President of Bolivia.
- 08 Oct 1970 Soviet author Alexander I Solzhenitsyn awarded Nobel Prize for Literature.
- 09 Oct 1970 Khmer Republic (Cambodia) declares independence.
- 10 Oct 1970 Fiji gains independence from Britain (National Day).
- 11 Oct 1970 Eleven French soldiers are killed in a shootout with rebels in Chad.
- 12 Oct 1970 Rock Memorabilia Auction at Filmore East
- 13 Oct 1970 Angela Davis arrested in New York City
- 14 Oct 1970 4th Country Music Association Award: Merle Haggard wins
- 15 Oct 1970 Bridge over Yarra River in Melbourne crashes; killing 35
- 16 Oct 1970 In response to the October Crisis terrorist kidnapping, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau of Canada invokes the War Measures Act.
- 17 Oct 1970 Anwar Sadat sworn in as President of Egypt
- 18 Oct 1970 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Quality Chekd Golf Classic
- 19 Oct 1970 Rothschilds opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 505 performances
- 20 Oct 1970 American Norman Borlaug awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
- 21 Oct 1970 Nobel prize of peace awarded to Norman E Borlaugh
- 22 Oct 1970 Chilean army commander René Schneider is shot in Santiago the government declares a state of emergency. Schneider dies October 25.
- 23 Oct 1970 Gary Gabelich sets a land speed record in a rocket-powered automobile called the Blue Flame, fueled with natural gas.
- 24 Oct 1970 Nancy Walker creates Ida Morgenstein role on Mary Tyler Moore Show
- 25 Oct 1970 The wreck of the Confederate submarine ''Hunley'' is found off Charleston, South Carolina, by pioneer underwater archaeologist, Dr. E. Lee Spence, Cover Story: Time Capsule From The Sea ampndash ''U.S. News amp World Report'', July 2–9, 2007 then just 22 years old. ''Hunley'' was the first submarine in history to sink a ship in warfare.
- 26 Oct 1970 Doonesbury comic strip debuts in 28 newspapers.
- 27 Oct 1970 Light, Lively & Yiddish opens at Belasco Theater NYC for 87 performances
- 28 Oct 1970 US / USSR sign an agreement to discuss joint space efforts
- 29 Oct 1970 WYEA (now WLTZ) TV channel 38 in Columbus, Georgia (NBC) 1st broadcast
- 30 Oct 1970 KVEW TV channel 42 in Kennewick, WA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 01 Nov 1970 1st regular season Giants-Jets game, Giants win 22-10 at Shea
- 02 Nov 1970 Cleveland Cavaliers lose by biggest margin-54 points (Philadelphia 76ers 141-87).
- 03 Nov 1970 Bob Gibson wins NL Cy Young Award
- 04 Nov 1970 Russian nuclear physicist Sacharov forms Human Rights Comittee
- 05 Nov 1970 Vietnam War: The United States Military Assistance Command in Vietnam reports the lowest weekly American soldier death toll in five years (24).
- 06 Nov 1970 Boog Powell wins AL MVP
- 07 Nov 1970 Purlie closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 689 performances
- 08 Nov 1970 Tom Dempsey of New Orleans Saints kicks NFL record 63-yard field goal.
- 09 Nov 1970 Trial of Seattle 8 anti-war protesters begins
- 10 Nov 1970 2 by 2 opens at Imperial Theater NYC for 343 performances
- 11 Nov 1970 Baltimore Oriole Boog Powell wins AL MVP
- 12 Nov 1970 240 km/h cyclone hits East Pakistan (Bangladesh); 3-500,000 die
- 13 Nov 1970 Flooding ravages Ganges delta, 200,000-1 million killed
- 14 Nov 1970 DC-9 crashes in West Virginia, 75 killed
- 16 Nov 1970 The Lockheed L-1011 Tristar flies for the first time.
- 17 Nov 1970 British newspaper Sun puts 1st pinup girl on pg 3 (Stephanie Rahn)
- 18 Nov 1970 Joe Frazier KOs Bob Foster in 2 for heavyweight boxing title
- 19 Nov 1970 Golden Gate Park Conservatory becomes a California state historical landmark.
- 20 Nov 1970 UN General Assembly accepts membership of China PR
- 21 Nov 1970 New York Knicks' first game against Cleveland Cavaliers, Knicks win 102-94 at Madison Square Gardens, New York.
- 22 Nov 1970 Guinean president Sekou Toure accuses Portugal of an attack when hundreds of mercenaries land near the capital Conakry.
- 23 Nov 1970 KNCT TV channel 46 in Belton / Killeen, TX (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 24 Nov 1970 36th Heisman Trophy Award: Jim Plunkett, Stanford (QB)
- 25 Nov 1970 Yankees catcher Thurman Munson wins AL Rookie of Year
- 26 Nov 1970 B O Davis Sr, first American black general, dies at age 93 in Chicago, Illinois.
- 27 Nov 1970 Carl Morton (18-11 for last-place Expos), receives NL Rookie of Year
- 28 Nov 1970 58th CFL Grey Cup: Montreal Alouettes defeat Calgary Stampeders, 23-10
- 30 Nov 1970 George Harrison releases his triple album set All Things Must Pass
- 01 Dec 1970 Luis Echeverria Alvarez sworn in as President of MTxico.
- 02 Dec 1970 Tippetts Opera Knot Garden, premieres in London
- 03 Dec 1970 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 04 Dec 1970 Unemployment in US increases to 5.8 percent.
- 05 Dec 1970 Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe Trophy, and Bill Masterson trophy stolen from NHL hall of fame.
- 06 Dec 1970 Cleveland Cavaliers' first NBA home victory, beating Buffalo Braves 108-106.
- 07 Dec 1970 Taizan Maezumi Roshi, head of LA Zen Center, receives dharma
- 09 Dec 1970 Dutch Antilles: Government of Petronia falls.
- 10 Dec 1970 North American Soccer League awards New York and Toronto franchises.
- 11 Dec 1970 John Lennon releases an album that contains songs with word fuck
- 12 Dec 1970 Small Astronomy Satellite Explorer 42 launched to study X-rays.
- 13 Dec 1970 Greg Chappell scores 108 on Test debut versus England at the WACA.
- 15 Dec 1970 Ferryboat capsized in Korean Strait drowning 261
- 16 Dec 1970 1st successful landing on Venus (USSR)
- 17 Dec 1970 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 18 Dec 1970 Me Nobody Knows opens at Helen Hayes Theater NYC for 587 performances
- 21 Dec 1970 WUTV TV channel 29 in Buffalo, New York (IND) begins broadcasting
- 22 Dec 1970 Treblinka SS commander Franz Stangl sentenced to life imprisonment
- 23 Dec 1970 New York World Trade Center reaches highest point (411 m).
- 24 Dec 1970 Buena Vista releases the animated feature film The Aristocats to theatres. It cost US$4 million to make. It is Disney's first animated feature film completed without Walt Disney.
- 25 Dec 1970 The ETA releases Eugen Beihl.
- 27 Dec 1970 Hello, Dolly! closes at Saint James Theater in New York City after 2,844 performances.
- 28 Dec 1970 Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentlemen opens at Majestic NYC for 19 performances
- 29 Dec 1970 U.S. President Richard Nixon signs into law the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- 30 Dec 1970 Paul McCartney sues his bandmates to dissolve the Beatles
- 31 Dec 1970 Congress authorizes Eisenhower dollar coin