Sunday 14 September 1980
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ayo and Ayọ .
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Upside Down by Diana Ross.
In UK Feels Like I'm In Love by Kelly Marie was in the top 5 hits.
Ordinary People, directed by Robert Redford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while The Origin by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Yes You Can.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Computer Bismarck or Musician.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 14 September 1980 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Ayo: German singer.
- Ayọ : German singer-songwriter and actress.
- Gareth Maybin: Northern Irish professional golfer.
- Charlie & Algernon opens at Helen Hayes Theater NYC for 17 performances
- Donna Caponi Young wins LPGA United Virginia Bank Golf Classic
- Dwight Clark begins NFL streak of 105 consecutive game receptions
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Diana Ross - Upside Down
- Air Supply - All Out Of Love
- The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue
- Irene Cara - Fame
- Christopher Cross - Sailing
- George Benson - Give Me The Night
- Paul Simon - Late In The Evening
- Johnny Lee - Lookin' For Love
- Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
- Eddie Rabbitt - Drivin' My Life Away
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 14 September 1980
- Atlanta Falcons - New England Patriots : 37 - 21
- Cincinnati Bengals - Miami Dolphins : 16 - 17
- Dallas Cowboys - Denver Broncos : 20 - 41
- Detroit Lions - Green Bay Packers : 29 - 7
Celebrate 14 September 1980 with a precious gift
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?