Monday September 14, 1998
US date format: 9/14/1998, UK date format: 14/9/1998
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 14, 1998). The US president was Bill Clinton (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Tony Blair (Labour), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Grayson Goss and Maddie Welborn.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to I Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith.
In UK No Matter What by Boyzone was in the top 5 hits.
What Dreams May Come, directed by Vincent Ward, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1998
while The Day Diana Died by Christopher Andersen was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching HeliCops - Einsatz über Berlin.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Godzilla Trading Battle or Grandia: Digital Museum.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 14, 1998?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- At the end of the day's stock market trading Microsoft stands as America's most valuable company, at US$261.1 billion. Microsoft and General Electric were both valued at over US$300 billion in July, but Microsoft survived a stock market plunge better, putting it on top.
- Telecommunications companies MCI Communications and WorldCom complete their $37 billion merger to form MCI WorldCom.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 14, 1998?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Monica - The First Night
- Gerald Levert - Thinkin' Bout It
- Kelly Price - Friend Of Mine
- Montell Jordan - I Can Do That
- Next - I Still Love You
- Tatyana Ali - Daydreamin'
- Mya Featuring Silkk The Shocker - Movin' On
- Tamia - So Into You
- Nicole Featuring Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott & Mocha - Make It Hot
- Mase Featuring Puff Daddy - Lookin' At Me
Sport Games on September 14, 1998
- San Francisco 49ers - Washington Redskins : 45 - 10
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- FC Koln - St Pauli : 1 - 4
La Liga Segunda DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Mallorca B - Toledo : 0 - 1
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next September 14If September 14, 1998 is your birthday you're 22 years, 9 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 11 months, 22 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
- ExxonMobil XOM: opens at $70.81
- Apple AAPL: opens at $38.25
- Microsoft MSFT: opens at $104.94
- General Electric GE: opens at $79.94
- International Business Machines IBM: opens at $128.00