Monday 16 March 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Flavor Flav and Jens Stoltenberg.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Venus by Frankie Avalon.
In UK As I Love You by Shirley Bassey was in the top 5 hits.
The Diary of Anne Frank, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Elizabeth The Great by Elizabeth Jenkins was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Garry Halliday.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 March 1959!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 16 March 1959 ?
- St. Urho's Day - the fictional patron saint of Finnish immigrants to the US, created by Richard Mattson in 1956
- Latvia - The controversial Latvia Legions are celebrated in Latvia, where about 140,000 men joined the Waffen SS National Legions during World War II, trying to defend Latvia. Since February 23, 2000, this day is no longer an official celebration day.
- Saint Heribert of Cologne (died 1021)
- Saint Eusebia (+680)
- Saint Benedicta (+1260)
- Saint Agapitus
- The first day of the Bacchanalia in ancient Rome
- Flavor Flav: American rapper, and reality TV star.
- Jens Stoltenberg: Prime Minister of Norway.
- Gary Basaraba
- Steve Marker
- Ludger Pistor
- Michael J Bloomfield in Flint: Michigan, USA; Major US Air Force/astronaut (STS 86).
- Stan Thorn in Kenosha: Wisconsin, USA; singer (Shenandoah - "Sunday in the South").
- Sebastian Currier: American composer and educator.
- John Sailling: last documented US Civil War veteran, dies at age 111.
- Iraq and the USSR sign economic / technical treaty
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?