Sunday 1 March 1959
It was Sunday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bambou (singer) and Erick Benzi.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Stagger Lee by Lloyd Price.
In UK As I Love You by Shirley Bassey was in the top 5 hits.
The Journey, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while From The Terrace by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Garry Halliday.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1959!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 March 1959 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Bambou (singer)
- Erick Benzi
- Diamanto Manolakou: Greek politician.
- Bambou : French actress, singer and Eurasian fashion model.
- Nick Griffin: English politician.
- Archbishop Makarios returns to Cyprus after three years.
- Beverly Hanson wins LPGA Golden Triangle Festival Golf Tournament.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
- Ritchie Valens - Donna
- The Crests - 16 Candles
- Bill Parsons - The All American Boy
- The Coasters - Charlie Brown
- LaVern Baker - I Cried A Tear
- Annette - Tall Paul
- Petite Fleur (Little Flower) - Chris Barber's Jazz Band
- Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops
- Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?