Wednesday 20 July 1960
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Guy Poggioli and Christian Poggioli.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to I'm Sorry by Brenda Lee.
In UK Good Timin' by Jimmy Jones was in the top 5 hits.
Inherit the Wind, directed by Stanley Kramer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 July 1960!
Which were the important events of 20 July 1960 ?
- St. Jerome Aemiliani
- St. Rufina
- St. Flavian
- St. Justa
- St. Margaret of Antioch
- St. Sabinus
- St. Joseph of Barsabas
- Brazil - Friendship Day
- St. Ceslas
- Argentina - Dfa del Amigo (Friendship Day)
- Japan - Marine Day (Umi-no-hi, currently it falls on the third Monday in July.)
- Northern Cyprus - Peace and Freedom Day
- Colombia - Independence Day
- Feast day for at least seventeen saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Aurelius
- St. Wulmar/Ulmar
- St. Severa1
- St. Barhadbesciabas
- St. Severa2
- St. Wilgefortis
- International chess day
- Guy Poggioli: French dancer, twin of dancer Christian Poggioli.
- Christian Poggioli: French dancer, twin of dancer Guy Poggioli.
- Claudio Langes: Italian race car driver.
- Prvoslav Vujčić: Serbian-Canadian poet and philosopher.
- 1st submerged submarine to fire Polaris missile (George Washington)
- Sirima Bandaranaike becomes 1st female Premier of Ceylon
- USSR recovered 2 dogs; 1st living organisms to return from space
- The Polaris missile is successfully launched from a submarine, the USS George Washington, for the first time.
- Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) elects Sirimavo Bandaranaike Prime Minister, the world's first elected female head of government.
- The head of the Physics Department at the Israel Institute of Technology, Kurt Sitte, is arrested for espionage.
- Belgium defends its intervention in the Congo to the United Nations Security Council while the government of the Congo appeals to the Soviet Union to send troops to push back the Belgians. The governments of the United States and France and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization warn the Soviets to stay out of the dispute.
- First submerged submarine to fire Polaris missile (George Washington).
- Ceylon elects Mrs Sirimavo Bandaranaike as its Prime Minister, the world's first elected female head of government. She takes office the following day.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 20 July 1960
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Hollywood Argyles - Alley-Oop
- Connie Francis - Everybody's Somebody's Fool
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Duane Eddy - Because They're Young
- Brenda Lee - That's All You Gotta Do
- The Fendermen - Mule Skinner Blues
- The Everly Brothers - When Will I Be Loved
- Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?