1960 was the year known as the year of Africa.
Seventeen countries gained their independence from their colonial masters, through armed struggle. A charismatic John F. Kennedy presented to the American people an ambitious domestic agenda, where he sought to oust inequality and injustice. In this year, Elvis Presley released his tenth studio album named Elvis Is Back!
By 1960, the United States of America was at the height of civil rights freedom marches. Coincidentally the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the first artificially produced birth control pill in the world. The pill took six years undergoing clinical tests and approved on May 9.
Twelve days later on May 21, the first tremor of an earthquake hit the Valdivia city in Chile. The series of earthquakes started with a 7.6 magnitude and followed by an 8.5 magnitude quake. The cause of the earthquakes was the Nazca oceanic plate plunged 50 feet below the South American plate. The effects were massive landslides down the nearby mountains. At twenty minutes past four, a 26-foot wave hit the coast taking with it buildings and other structures as it receded. A few moments later, a 35-foot wave rolled into the shore, and it killed more people than a thousand people. An estimated 5000 died and 2 million people left homeless.
In a rather bizarre incident, two planes collided over New York City on the snowy morning of December 16. The incident left 134 people dead, both in the airplanes as well as on the ground. When the debris landed, it took 72 hours to put out the multiple fires.
Unbeknownst to many people, the establishment of the American Football League (AFL) was in 1960 and meant to rival the National Football League (NFL). Finally, the American toy inventor, Randi Altschul was born in 1960.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 33rd edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1960?
Which were the most popular books released in 1960 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1960
- Albert Lutuli
- Saint-John Perse
- Donald A. Glaser
- Willard Libby
Physiology or Medicine
- Frank Macfarlane Burnet
- Peter Medawar
Which were the top hits of 1960?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Percy Faith - The Theme From A Summer Place
- Jim Reeves - He'll Have To Go
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Mark Dinning - Teen Angel
- Johnny Preston - Running Bear
- Elvis Presley - Stuck On You
- Connie Francis - My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own
- Jimmy Jones - Handy Man
Top #1 songs in the UK
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1960
- Total population: 3.0 billion (3,034,949,748 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.0 billion, that is 34.0% of the total population of 1960 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +55.4 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.86%
- Average density: 20.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1960?
- 01 Jan 1960 US census at 179,245,000
- 02 Jan 1960 John F Kennedy announces run for US Presidency
- 04 Jan 1960 European Free Trade Association forms in Stockholm, Sweden.
- 05 Jan 1960 Continental League, a proposed third major baseball league, gets an assurance of congressional support from New York Senator Kenneth Keating.
- 06 Jan 1960 National Airlines Flight 2511 is destroyed in mid-air by a bomb, while en route from New York City to Miami.
- 07 Jan 1960 The Polaris missile is test launched.
- 09 Jan 1960 Building of Aswan dam in Egypt begins.
- 10 Jan 1960 Bollingen Prize for poetry awarded to Delmore Schwartz.
- 11 Jan 1960 Lamar Clark sets pro boxing record of 44 consecutive knockouts.
- 12 Jan 1960 Sobers and Worrell complete 399 stand for fourth wicket versus England.
- 14 Jan 1960 US Army promoted Elvis Presley to Sergeant
- 17 Jan 1960 NFL Pro Bowl: West beats East 38-21.
- 18 Jan 1960 US and Japan sign joint defense treaty
- 19 Jan 1960 Eisenhower and Premier Kishi sign US-Japanese Security pact
- 20 Jan 1960 Patrice Lumumba sentenced to 6 months in Belgian Congo
- 21 Jan 1960 Little Joe 1B, a Mercury spacecraft, lifts off from Wallops Island, Virginia with Miss Sam, a female rhesus monkey on board.
- 22 Jan 1960 Coal mine of Johnburg caves-in, 417 die
- 23 Jan 1960 Bathosphere Trieste reach bottom of Pacific (10,900 m)
- 24 Jan 1960 Algerian War: Some units of European volunteers in Algiers stage an insurrection known as the ''barricades week'', during which they seize government buildings and clash with local police.
- 25 Jan 1960 In Washington, D.C., the National Association of Broadcasters reacts to the payola scandal by threatening fines for any disc jockeys who accepted money for playing particular records.
- 26 Jan 1960 High-school basketball sensation Danny Heater scores 135 points
- 28 Jan 1960 NFL announces Dallas Cowboys (1960) and Minnesota Vikings (1961) franchises.
- 30 Jan 1960 CIA OKs Lockheed to produce a new U-2 aircraft (Oxcart)
- 31 Jan 1960 Songwriter Adolph Green marries actress / singer Phyllis Newman in New York City
- 01 Feb 1960 4 students stage 1st civil rights sit-in, at Greensboro NC Woolworth
- 02 Feb 1960 Michale Eufemia sinks 625 balls in pool match without a miss.
- 03 Feb 1960 British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan speaks of the ''a wind of change'' of increasing national consciousness blowing through colonial Africa, signalling that his Government is likely to support decolonisation.
- 04 Feb 1960 BBWAA voters fail to elect a new Hall of Fame member
- 05 Feb 1960 The first CERN particle accelerator becomes operational in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 07 Feb 1960 Old handwriting found at Qumran, near the Dead Sea.
- 08 Feb 1960 US Congress opens hearings looking into payola.
- 09 Feb 1960 AFL and NFL agree verbally to a no-tampering pact.
- 10 Feb 1960 Unsinkable Molly Brown closes at Winter Garden NYC after 532 performances
- 11 Feb 1960 Jack Paar walks off his TV show.
- 12 Feb 1960 Chinese army kills 12 Indian soldiers.
- 13 Feb 1960 Beg, Borrow or Steal opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 5 performances
- 14 Feb 1960 Beverly Hanson wins LPGA Saint Petersburg Golf Open.
- 16 Feb 1960 US nuclear submarine USS Triton sets off on underwater round-world trip.
- 18 Feb 1960 8th Winter Olympic games open in Squaw Valley, Colorado
- 19 Feb 1960 Protest strike in Poznan, Poland.
- 21 Feb 1960 Fay Crocker wins LPGA Lake Worth Golf Open.
- 24 Feb 1960 US beats Germany in Olympics hockey finals round, 9-1.
- 26 Feb 1960 Soviet premier Khrushchev voices support for Indonesia.
- 27 Feb 1960 US Olympics Ice Hockey Team beats USSR 3-2 en route to gold medal.
- 28 Feb 1960 8th winter Olympic games close at Squaw Valley, Colorado
- 29 Feb 1960 KRET TV channel 23 in Richardson, TX (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 03 Mar 1960 9th largest snowfall in NYC history (14.5)
- 04 Mar 1960 Lucille Ball files for divorce from Desi Arnaz.
- 05 Mar 1960 Elvis Presley ends 2-year hitch in US Army
- 07 Mar 1960 Dutch Builders strike for CLA
- 08 Mar 1960 Greenwillow opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 95 performances
- 09 Mar 1960 Dr. Belding Hibbard Scribner implants for the first time a shunt he invented into a patient, which allows the patient to receive hemodialysis on a regular basis.
- 10 Mar 1960 USSR agrees to stop nuclear testing.
- 11 Mar 1960 Pioneer 5 launched into solar orbit between Earth and Venus.
- 13 Mar 1960 Fay Crocker wins LPGA Titleholders Golf Championship.
- 14 Mar 1960 Fourteen die in a train crash in Bakersfield, California, USA.
- 15 Mar 1960 National Observatory at Kitt Peak, Arizona dedicated.
- 17 Mar 1960 Eisenhower forms anti-Castro-exile army under the CIA
- 19 Mar 1960 Redhead closes at 46th St. Theater NYC after 455 performances
- 21 Mar 1960 Apartheid: Massacre in Sharpeville, South Africa: Police open fire on a group of unarmed black South African demonstrators, killing 69 and wounding 180.
- 22 Mar 1960 AL Schawlow and C H Townes obtain patent for the laser
- 23 Mar 1960 Explorer (8) fails to reach Earth orbit
- 24 Mar 1960 US appeals court rules D.H. Lawrence's novel Lady Chatterly's Lover not obscene.
- 25 Mar 1960 Ford Frick voids Cleveland Indians-Boston Red Sox deal as Sam White retires.
- 26 Mar 1960 Orioles-Reds series for Havana, is moved to Miami
- 27 Mar 1960 Wiffi Smith wins LPGA Royal Crown Golf Open.
- 28 Mar 1960 Pope John raises the first Japanese, first African, and first Filipino cardinals.
- 29 Mar 1960 ''Tom Pillibi'' by Jacqueline Boyer (music by André Popp, text by Pierre Cour) wins the Eurovision Song Contest 1960 for France.
- 01 Apr 1960 2nd French atom bomb explodes (Sahara)
- 02 Apr 1960 Cuba buys oil from USSR
- 04 Apr 1960 32nd Academy Awards - Ben-Hur, Charlton Heston, and Simone Signoret win.
- 08 Apr 1960 Netherlands and Germany sign accord concerning war casualties.
- 09 Apr 1960 South African premier Verwoerd wounded in battle.
- 10 Apr 1960 US Senate passes landmark Civil Rights Bill.
- 11 Apr 1960 First weather satellite launched (Tiros 1).
- 12 Apr 1960 Bert Haanstra wins Oscar for Glass
- 13 Apr 1960 Transit 1B, first navigational satellite, placed in Earth orbit.
- 14 Apr 1960 Bye Bye Birdie opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 607 performances
- 15 Apr 1960 Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), organizes at Shaw University.
- 16 Apr 1960 The gunman David Pratt shoots South African Prime Minister Henrik Verwoerd in Johannesburg, wounding him seriously.
- 17 Apr 1960 American Samoa sets up a constitutional government.
- 19 Apr 1960 64th Boston Marathon won by Paavo Kotila of Finland in 2:20:54.
- 20 Apr 1960 From A to Z opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 21 performances
- 21 Apr 1960 Founding of the Orthodox Baha'i Faith in Washington, D.C.
- 24 Apr 1960 14th Tony Awards: Miracle Worker and Fiorello! win.
- 25 Apr 1960 1st submerged circumnavigation of Earth completed (Triton)
- 26 Apr 1960 Forced out by the April Revolution, President of South Korea Syngman Rhee resigns after twelve years of dictatorial rule.
- 27 Apr 1960 Togo (formerly French Togo) declares independence from French adm
- 28 Apr 1960 Christine opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 01 May 1960 Russia shoots down American pilot Francis Gary Powers' U-2 spy plane over Sverdlovsk.
- 02 May 1960 Harry Belafonte 2nd Carnegie Hall performance
- 03 May 1960 The Off-Broadway musical comedy, The Fantasticks, opens in New York City's Greenwich Village, eventually becoming the longest-running musical of all time.
- 04 May 1960 1st great Delta dam closes, North-South Beveland
- 06 May 1960 English Prince Margaret marries Antony Armstrong-Jones (Lord Snowdon)
- 07 May 1960 Christine closes at 46th St. Theater NYC after 12 performances
- 08 May 1960 Wiffi Smith wins LPGA Betsy Rawls Peach Blossom Golf Open.
- 09 May 1960 US send U-2 over USSR
- 10 May 1960 John F Kennedy wins primary in West Virginia
- 11 May 1960 French liner France launched
- 12 May 1960 Elvis Presley appears on a Frank Sinatra special
- 13 May 1960 WOLE TV channel 12 in Aguadillo, PR
- 14 May 1960 At the Drop of a Hat closes at John Golden NYC after 216 performances
- 15 May 1960 KHVO TV channel 13 in Hilo, HI (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 16 May 1960 Big four summit in Paris, France collapses as USSR levels spy charges against USA.
- 17 May 1960 First atomic reactor system to be patented, JW Flora, Canoga Park, California, USA.
- 18 May 1960 Eillen Fulton begins playing Lisa on As the World Turn (for over 30 yrs)
- 19 May 1960 DJ Alan Freed is accused of bribery in radio payola scandal
- 20 May 1960 Baseball game in Milwaukee postponed due to dense fog
- 21 May 1960 86th Preakness: Bobby Ussery aboard Bally Ache wins in 1:57.6.
- 22 May 1960 Virtually all coastal towns between 37th and 44th parallels severly damaged by tsunami that strikes Hilo, Hawaii at 01:04 AM
- 23 May 1960 Got A Girl by The Four Preps hits #24
- 24 May 1960 1 millionth Dutch telephone installed
- 27 May 1960 1st use of oversized catching mitt (Baltimore Oriole Clint Courtney)
- 28 May 1960 Greenwillow closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 95 performances
- 30 May 1960 Cemal Gürsel forms the new government of Turkey (its 24th government, composed mostly of so-called quottechnocratsquot)
- 01 Jun 1960 WDTV TV channel 5 in Clarksburg-Weston, WV (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 02 Jun 1960 Broadway theaters close (labor dispute between owners & Actors Equity)
- 05 Jun 1960 George Gobel Show, last airs on CBS-TV
- 06 Jun 1960 Steve Allen Show, last airs on NBC-TV
- 07 Jun 1960 U.S. Senator John F. Kennedy wins the California Democratic primary.
- 08 Jun 1960 Argentine government demands release of Adolf Eichmann
- 09 Jun 1960 ABC and AFL sign a 5 year contract
- 11 Jun 1960 92nd Belmont: Bill Hartack aboard Celtic Ash wins in 2:29.2
- 12 Jun 1960 KORN (now KDLT) TV channel 5 in Mitchell-Sioux Falls, SD (ABC) begins
- 13 Jun 1960 Alley-Oop by Dyna-Sores peaks at #59
- 15 Jun 1960 Angel Cordero wins his 1st of over 7000 horse races
- 16 Jun 1960 Psycho, opens in New York
- 17 Jun 1960 Fire consumes the El Rancho Vegas casino resort, on the Las Vegas Strip.
- 18 Jun 1960 Destry Rides Again closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 472 performances
- 19 Jun 1960 Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Cosmopolitan Golf Open
- 20 Jun 1960 12nd Emmy Awards: Playhouse 90, Robert Stack and Jane Wyatt
- 21 Jun 1960 Armin Hary runs world record 100m (10.0)
- 23 Jun 1960 Pat Boone Show, last airs on ABC-TV
- 24 Jun 1960 Joseph Kasavubu is elected as the first President of the independent Congo.
- 25 Jun 1960 Earthquake in NE Belgium
- 26 Jun 1960 Hall of Fame allows veteran committee to vote annually
- 27 Jun 1960 British Somaliland becomes part of Somalia
- 28 Jun 1960 10.40 (26.42 cm) of rainfall, Dunmor, Kentucky (state 24-hour record)
- 29 Jun 1960 Joyce Ziske wins LPGA Western Golf Open
- 30 Jun 1960 US stops sugar import from Cuba
- 01 Jul 1960 British Somaliland becomes Somalia
- 02 Jul 1960 Once Upon a Mattress closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 460 performances
- 03 Jul 1960 Vernon Presley (father of Elvis) weds Dee Alliot
- 04 Jul 1960 6th LPGA Championship won by Mickey Wright
- 05 Jul 1960 Mongolia adopts constitution
- 06 Jul 1960 Dr Barbara Moore completes a 3,207-mile walk from Los Angeles to New York City.
- 07 Jul 1960 Neth-US cemetery Margraten official opens
- 08 Jul 1960 Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage resulting from his flight over the Soviet Union.
- 10 Jul 1960 Belgium sends troops to Congo
- 11 Jul 1960 28th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 5-3 at Municipal Stadium, Kansas City
- 12 Jul 1960 Congo, Chad and Central African Republic declare independence
- 13 Jul 1960 29th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 6-0 at Yankee Stadium, New York
- 14 Jul 1960 Barbara Romack wins LPGA Leesburg Pro-Am Golf Tournament
- 16 Jul 1960 George Crowe sets record of 12 pinch-hit home runs with a runner on.
- 18 Jul 1960 1st UN troops reach Congo
- 19 Jul 1960 San Francisco Giants' Juan Marichal debuts, with a one hitter against Philadelphia Phillies.
- 20 Jul 1960 Sirima Bandaranaike becomes 1st female Premier of Ceylon
- 21 Jul 1960 Francis Chichester arrive in New York aboard Gypsy Moth II, setting record of 40 days for a solo Atlantic crossing
- 22 Jul 1960 Cuba nationalizes all US owned sugar factories
- 24 Jul 1960 42nd PGA Championship: Jay Hebert shoots a 281 at Firestone Country Club - Akron
- 25 Jul 1960 US Republican Convention nominates Nixon as presidential candidate
- 26 Jul 1960 Italian government of Fanfani forms
- 27 Jul 1960 VP Nixon nominated for President at Republican Convention in Chicago
- 28 Jul 1960 Republican National convention selects Richard Nixon as candidate
- 31 Jul 1960 KSOO (now KSFY) TV channel 13 in Sioux Falls, SD (NBC) 1st broadcast
- 01 Aug 1960 Aretha Franklins 1st recording session
- 03 Aug 1960 Niger gains independence from France.
- 04 Aug 1960 Rocket propelled US Air Force research aircraft sets record at 2,150 MPH.
- 05 Aug 1960 Burkina (formerly Upper Volta) declares independence from France
- 06 Aug 1960 Pitt Steelers (NFL) beat Toronto Argonauts (CFL) 43-16 in Toronto
- 07 Aug 1960 Wiffi Smith wins LPGA Waterloo Golf Open
- 08 Aug 1960 Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini hits #1
- 09 Aug 1960 Race riot in Jacksonville, Florida, USA.
- 10 Aug 1960 Discoverer 13 launched into orbit; returned first object from space.
- 11 Aug 1960 French colony of Chad became independent
- 12 Aug 1960 27th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Baltimore 32, All-Stars 7 (70,000)
- 13 Aug 1960 Central African Republic and Chad proclaim independence from France
- 15 Aug 1960 Congo (formerly Congo / Brazzaville) declares Independence from France
- 16 Aug 1960 Republic of Congo (Zaire, Dem Republic of Congo) forms
- 17 Aug 1960 Francis Gary Powers U-2 spy trial opens in Moscow
- 18 Aug 1960 1st commercial oral contraceptive, Enovid 10 debuts in Skokie, Illinois
- 19 Aug 1960 Francis Gary Powers convicted of spying by USSR (U-2 incident)
- 20 Aug 1960 USSR recovers 2 dogs, 1st living organisms to return from space
- 22 Aug 1960 Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Asheville Golf Open
- 24 Aug 1960 60 people die when bus plunges off bridge into Turvo River, Brazil.
- 25 Aug 1960 17th summer olympics opens in Rome
- 27 Aug 1960 Anita Lonsbrough swims world / olympic record 200m (2:49.5)
- 29 Aug 1960 Jordan Premier Hazza-el-Madjali deadly injured at bomb attack
- 30 Aug 1960 Boston 2nd baseman Pete Runnels goes 6-for-7
- 31 Aug 1960 Agricultural Hall of Fame established.
- 01 Sep 1960 Mickey Wright wins LPGA Eastern Golf Open
- 02 Sep 1960 Tamara and Irina Press (USSR) become 1st sisters to win olympic gold
- 05 Sep 1960 President Kasavubu fires Premier Lumumba of Congo
- 06 Sep 1960 William Hamilton Martin and Bernon F. Mitchell, two American cryptologists, announce their defection to the Soviet Union at a press conference in Moscow.
- 07 Sep 1960 Ljudmila Shevcova runs female olympic record 800m (2:04.3)
- 08 Sep 1960 German DR limits access to East-Berlin for West Berliners
- 09 Sep 1960 4th American Football League plays first game (Denver 13, Boston 10).
- 10 Sep 1960 Abebe Bikila runs Olympic / World record marathon (2:15:16.2)
- 11 Sep 1960 17th Olympic games close in Rome Italy
- 13 Sep 1960 Dutch 1st Chamber condemns soccer-law
- 14 Sep 1960 Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi-Arabia and Venezuela form OPEC
- 15 Sep 1960 France spends 9 billion guilders on atomic experiments
- 16 Sep 1960 Amos Alonzo Stagg retires as a football coach at age 98.
- 17 Sep 1960 Cuba nationalizes American-owned banks.
- 18 Sep 1960 Mickey Wright wins LPGA Memphis Golf Open
- 20 Sep 1960 WFSU TV channel 11 in Tallahassee, Florida (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 22 Sep 1960 Mali (formerly French Sudan) declares independence from France
- 24 Sep 1960 1st nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, launches (USS Enterprise)
- 25 Sep 1960 1st Atomic powered aircraft carrier (Enterprise) launched (US)
- 26 Sep 1960 1st of 4 TV debates Nixon and Kennedy took place (Chicago)
- 28 Sep 1960 Millionaire, last airs on CBS-TV
- 29 Sep 1960 Johnny Ringo, TV Western Drama
- 30 Sep 1960 West Germany signs trade agreement with East Germany
- 01 Oct 1960 14th NHL All-Star Game: All-Stars beat Montreal 2-1 at Montreal
- 02 Oct 1960 Louise Suggs wins LPGA San Antonio Civitan Golf Tournament
- 03 Oct 1960 Janio Quadros elected President of Brazil
- 04 Oct 1960 Courier 1B launched; first active repeater satellite in orbit.
- 05 Oct 1960 British Labour party demands unilateral nuclear disarmament
- 07 Oct 1960 Route 66 premieres
- 08 Oct 1960 Bobby Richarson hits a world series grand slammer (World Series #57).
- 09 Oct 1960 Cowboy QB Eddie LeBaron throws shortest touchdown pass (2)
- 10 Oct 1960 Laughs & Other Events opens at Barrymore Theater NYC for 8 performances
- 11 Oct 1960 Hurricane ravages East-Pakistan (6,000 die)
- 12 Oct 1960 Nikita Khrushchev pounds his shoe at United Nations General Assembly session.
- 13 Oct 1960 Nikita Khrushchev (PM USSR) bangs his shoe on table at UN
- 14 Oct 1960 Belgian sen Victor Leemans reveals huge gas field in Groningen
- 15 Oct 1960 Laughs & Other Events closes at Barrymore Theater NYC after 8 performances
- 16 Oct 1960 NL votes to admit Houston and New York to league
- 17 Oct 1960 Tenderloin opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 216 performances
- 18 Oct 1960 In Britain, News Chronicle and Daily Mail merge, and London Evening Star merges with Evening News
- 19 Oct 1960 KWCS (now KOOG) TV channel 30 in Ogden, UT (IND) begins broadcasting
- 20 Oct 1960 Ralph Houk replaces Casey Stengel as New York Yankees manager.
- 21 Oct 1960 1st British nuclear sub Dreadnought launched
- 22 Oct 1960 Cassius Clay wins 1st battle as professional boxer
- 24 Oct 1960 Disaster on USSR (Baikonoer) launch pad, kills missile expert Nedelin & team (165 die-unconfirmed); USSR claims killed in plane crash
- 25 Oct 1960 Cuba nationalizes all remaining US businesses
- 26 Oct 1960 AL approves Washington Senators move to become Minnesota Twins and announces franchises in LA and Washington DC for 1961
- 27 Oct 1960 AL admits LA and Washington to the league
- 29 Oct 1960 Chartered C46 carrying California State's football team crashes, kills 16.
- 30 Oct 1960 Michael Woodruff performs the first successful kidney transplant in the United Kingdom at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
- 01 Nov 1960 Balitmore Oriole shortstop Ron Hansen voted AL Rookie of Year
- 02 Nov 1960 George Weiss, at 66, resigns as GM of New York Yankees
- 03 Nov 1960 Unsinkable Molly Brown opens at Winter Garden NYC for 532 performances
- 04 Nov 1960 Misfits premieres, final movie for Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe
- 07 Nov 1960 KNRR TV channel 12 in Pembina, ND (IND) begins broadcsting
- 08 Nov 1960 JFK (Sen-D-Mass) beats VP Richard Nixon (R) for 35th US President
- 11 Nov 1960 Largest New York Knicks' 49th Steet Madison Square Gardens crowd-18,499.
- 12 Nov 1960 Coup against South Vietnam President Ngo Dinh Diem fails
- 13 Nov 1960 Fire in movie theater kills 152 children (Amude, Spain).
- 14 Nov 1960 OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries), forms
- 15 Nov 1960 USS G Washington, 1st sub with nuclear ballistic missiles, launched
- 16 Nov 1960 NL batting champion Dick Groat wins MVP
- 17 Nov 1960 New Washington franchise is awarded to Elwood Quesada
- 18 Nov 1960 Charlie Finley, makes a bid to purchase expansion LA Angels
- 19 Nov 1960 Mickey Vernon is hired as 1st manager of new Washington team
- 21 Nov 1960 Bob Scheffing signs to manage Tigers after Casey Stengel turns it down
- 22 Nov 1960 French National Meeting decide to build own nuclear weapons
- 23 Nov 1960 Dodgers outfielder Frank Howard is voted NL Rookie of Year
- 24 Nov 1960 Wilt Chamberlain pulls down 55 rebounds in a game (NBA record).
- 25 Nov 1960 CBS ends last 4 radio soap operas (Ma Perkins, Right to Happiness, Young Dr Malone and 2nd Mrs Burton) and cancels 4 other series
- 26 Nov 1960 48th CFL Grey Cup: Ottawa Rough Riders defeats Edmonton Eskimos, 16-6
- 27 Nov 1960 CBS radio cancels Have Gun Will Travel
- 28 Nov 1960 CBS radio expands hourly news coverage from 5 to 10 minutes
- 29 Nov 1960 26th Heisman Trophy Award: Joe Bellino, Navy (HB)
- 30 Nov 1960 French Senate condemns building own nuclear weapons
- 01 Dec 1960 Patrice Lumumba caught in the Congo
- 03 Dec 1960 Camelot opens at Majestic Theater NYC for 873 performances
- 04 Dec 1960 The admission of Mauritania to the United Nations vetoed by the Soviet Union for inscrutable reasons.
- 05 Dec 1960 Ghana drops diplomatic relations with Belgium.
- 06 Dec 1960 AL grants Gene Autry a franchise, LA Angels
- 07 Dec 1960 Ivory Coast claims independence from France
- 08 Dec 1960 Expansion Los Angeles Angels sign a four-year lease to use Dodger Stadium.
- 09 Dec 1960 1st broadcast of Coronation Street on British ITV
- 11 Dec 1960 Black Sunday - Riot in Algiers, 114 die.
- 12 Dec 1960 The Supreme Court of the United States upholds a lower Federal Court ruling that the State of Louisiana's laws on racial segregation laws are unconstitutional, and overturns them.
- 13 Dec 1960 Laos General Fumi Nosavang occupies Vientiane.
- 14 Dec 1960 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) forms.
- 15 Dec 1960 Richard Paul Pavlick is arrested for attempting to blow up and assassinate the U.S. President-Elect, John F. Kennedy only four days earlier.
- 16 Dec 1960 Wildcat opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 172 performances
- 17 Dec 1960 La Plume de Ma Tante closes at Royale Theater NYC after 835 performances
- 18 Dec 1960 General Meeting of United Nations condemns apartheid.
- 19 Dec 1960 Fire aboard USS Constellation, under construction in Brooklyn, New York (50 die).
- 20 Dec 1960 National Front for the Liberation of Vietnam is formed.
- 23 Dec 1960 King Saudi of Saudi-Arabia takes power.
- 24 Dec 1960 Dutch bishops question papacy values.
- 26 Dec 1960 Do Re Mi opens at St. James Theater NYC for 400 performances
- 27 Dec 1960 France sets off its third A-bomb test at its nuclear weapons testing range near Reggane, Algeria.
- 31 Dec 1960 The farthing coin ceases to be legal tender in the United Kingdom.