Saturday 16 July 1960
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Eus van Someren and Gisela Beyer.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Alley-Oop by Hollywood Argyles.
In UK Good Timin' by Jimmy Jones was in the top 5 hits.
Inherit the Wind, directed by Stanley Kramer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Comedy Spot.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 July 1960!
Which were the important events of 16 July 1960 ?
- Botswana - President's Day (2nd day)
- Catholic - Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
- Eus van Someren: Pop guitarist (Scene, Blaauw).
- Gisela Beyer: in German Democratic Republic; discus thrower (Olympics-4th place-1980).
- Terry Pendleton: Los Angeles, California -- Infielder (Florida Marlins).
- Albrecht von Kesselring: German Field Marshal (Italy), dies at 74.
- John Phillips Marquand: Novelist, dies at 66.
- John P Marquand: American novelist (Born 1893).
- Albert Kesselring: German pilot and military Commander in Chief of German troops in Italy, one of the most prominent German air and field commanders in World War II.
- George Crowe sets record of 12 pinch-hit home runs with a runner on.
- 205,000 (record sports attendance) see Brazil-Uruguay World Cup soccer.
- USS George Washington a modified Skipjack class submarine successfully test fires the first ballistic missile while submerged.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 July 1960
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Hollywood Argyles - Alley-Oop
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Connie Francis - Everybody's Somebody's Fool
- Duane Eddy - Because They're Young
- The Fendermen - Mule Skinner Blues
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Brenda Lee - That's All You Gotta Do
- Paul Anka - My Home Town
- Dinah Washington - A Rockin' Good Way (To Mess Around And Fall In Love)
- The Everly Brothers - When Will I Be Loved
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?