Thursday 24 August 1972
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Chris Right and Christian Ruud.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Brandy (You're A Fine Girl) by Looking Glass.
In UK School's Out by Alice Cooper was in the top 5 hits.
The Last House on the Left, directed by Wes Craven, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Midnight Special.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Pong or Hunt the Wumpus.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 1972!
Which were the important events of 24 August 1972 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
- Chris Right: CFL receiver (Montreal Alouettes).
- Christian Ruud: Oslo, Norway -- Tennis star (1989 Norwegian).
- Ian Moran: Cleveland, Ohio -- US hockey defenseman (1994 Olympics).
- Kurt Miller: Tucson, Arizona -- Pitcher (Florida Marlins).
- Lee DeRamus: (NO Saints).
- Mike Grzanich: American baseball pitcher, right-handed. He played one game with the Houston Astros on 14 May 1998.
- Jean-Luc Brassard: Canadian skier and radio host
- Carlos Wesley "Don" Byas: US jazz saxophonist, dies at 59.
- Dennis Amiss scores 1st one-day int century, 103 vs. Australia
- Gordie Howe and Jean Beliveau inducted in Hockey Hall of Fame.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 August 1972
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Looking Glass - Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)
- The Hollies - Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
- Al Green - I'm Still In Love With You
- Argent - Hold Your Head Up
- Luther Ingram - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right
- Carpenters - Goodbye To Love
- Nilsson - Coconut
- Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim
- Mac Davis - Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?