Sunday 6 August 1972
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mike Frederick and Geri Halliwell.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Alone Again (Naturally) by Gilbert O'Sullivan.
In UK School's Out by Alice Cooper was in the top 5 hits.
Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Tegtmeiers Reisen.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hunt the Wumpus or Pong.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1972!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1972 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Mike Frederick: NFL defensive end (Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens).
- Geri Halliwell: British singer, a former member of the all-girl group, "The Spice Girls," the biggest pop phenomenon of the late 1990s.
- Paolo Bacigalupi: American author.
- Darren Eales: English footballer and lawyer.
- Ray Lucas: American football player and sportscaster.
- Garry Player wins PGA golf tournament
- Hank Aaron hits 660th and 661st HRs for Braves (record for 1 team)
- Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Knoxville Ladies Golf Classic
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 August 1972
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)
- Looking Glass - Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)
- Luther Ingram - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right
- Wayne Newton - Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast
- Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose - Too Late To Turn Back Now
- Roberta Flack - Where Is The Love
- Alice Cooper - School's Out
- Mouth and MacNeal - How Do You Do?
- The Hollies - Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
- Derek and the Dominos - Layla
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?