Friday 24 August 2012
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Whistle by Flo Rida.
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Big City.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing DJMax Ray or Dyad.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 24 August 2012 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 August
- Syrian civil war:
- Three people, including a 28-year-old anti-Assad sheikh, are killed in combat between pro-Assad and anti-Assad groups in the Lebanese city of Tripoli. (AFP via Yahoo! News)
- Syriaonline.sy reminds of the fate of captured Syrian TV journalist Mohammed al-Saeed. (Syria Online)
- War on terror:
- Afghanistan: Insurgents kill four men including three soldiers in the Afghan Army in Paktia Province. (AP via ABC News)
- Pakistan: A drone attack conducted by the United States kills 18 alleged Taliban militants in North Waziristan. (''USA Today'')
- Tropical Storm Isaac hits the island of Hispaniola containing Haiti and the Dominican Republic. A hurricane watch threat level is set for Haiti. (NHC)
- Heavy monsoon rain and floods kill 26 people in Pakistan. (''Daily Times'')
- The newly-built Yangmingtan Bridge in Harbin City in China collapses, killing three and injuring five people. (BBC)
- The House of Representatives of Japan passes a resolution criticising the President of South Korea Lee Myung-bak's recent visit to the disputed Liancourt Rocks. (Kyodo News)
- Two U.S. government employees are ambushed and wounded by gunshots near Huitzilac, Morelos, by Mexican Federal Police officers. Details are still unclear. (BBC News)
- A court in Oslo, Norway, deems Anders Behring Breivik sane and sentences him to 21 years' imprisonment for intentionally killing 77 people in two terror attacks in July 2011. (BBC)
- A South Korean court rules that Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics infringed each other's patents on mobile computing technology. (''The Wall Street Journal'')
- The High Court of Australia quashes the conviction of former Bundaberg, Queensland surgeon Jayant Patel on manslaughter charges due to a miscarriage of justice with a fresh trial to be held. (''The Australian'')
- A gunman shoots and kills a former coworker near the Empire State Building in New York City. Following the initial shooting, police kill the gunman, and nine other people are wounded. (CNN)
- A U.S. court maintains that Joel Tenenbaum, who shared 30 MP3 files through the defunct Kazaa network, has to pay a fine of US$675,000. (Decrypted Tech)
- A court in Romania, at the request of the Romanian Intelligence Service, expels 8 Palestinians suspected of being involved with Hamas and Hezbollah. (Antena 3)
- Mir-Hossein Mousavi, leader of the Iranian opposition and former Prime Minister, returns home from a hospital after a heart attack. (Tabnak)
- The United States Anti-Doping Agency says it will ban former professional road racing cyclist Lance Armstrong for life and recommend he be stripped of his record seven Tour de France titles. (''The Washington Post'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 August 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?