Saturday 24 June 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jim Laver Carter and Natalya Shaposhnikova.
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Moody River by Pat Boone.
In UK Surrender by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Rocco and His Brothers, directed by Luchino Visconti, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Ring Of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Kraft Mystery Theater.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 June 1961!
Which were the important events of 24 June 1961 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John the Baptist, patron saint of QuTbec
- Discovery Day in Newfoundland and Labrador (celebrating the 1497 discovery by John Cabot)
- Bannockburn Day in Scotland (see 1314 above)
- Quarter days in England
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Rahmat (Mercy) - First day of the sixth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Battle of Carabobo Day in Venezuela (1821)
- FOte nationale du QuTbec, also called St-Jean-Baptiste Day
- Day of Indian in Peru
- Original Midsummer's Eve in Finland and Sweden, although the official holiday is now moved to the nearest Friday
- St. John's Day in Estonia and Sao Joao in Porto
- Festival of San Juan observed in Bolivia and Peru
- American Radio Relay League - Field Day 2006
- Jim Laver Carter: Spring Lake, North Carolina -- PGA golfer (1995 Anheuser-Busch).
- Natalya Shaposhnikova: USSR -- Sidehorse vaulter (1980 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Iain Glen: Scottish actor who won the Silver Bear Award in 1990 at the Berlin International Film Festival for his portrayal of the murderer Larry Winters in the film, "Silent Scream.
- Dennis Danell: American singer and guitarist (Social Distortion) (d. 2000).
- Bernie Nicholls: Haliburton -- NHL center (Chicago Blackhawks).
- Ralph Reed: American political figure and religious leader
- Curt Smith: English singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (Tears for Fears and Graduate)
- Happiest Girl in the World closes at Martin Beck NYC after 97 performances
- Beatles record If You Love Me Baby
- Iraq demands dominion over Kuwait
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1961 ?
Top #9 songs in the USA
- Pat Boone - Moody River
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
- Ben E. King - Stand By Me
- Dee Clark - Raindrops
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Pips - Every Beat Of My Heart
- Brook Benton - The Boll Weevil Song
- Little Caesar and the Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies (Remind Me Of You)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?