Saturday June 24, 1961
US date format: 6/24/1961, UK date format: 24/6/1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on June 24, 1961). The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Macmillan (Conservative), Pope John XXIII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Iain Glen and Curt Smith.
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Moody River by Pat Boone.
In UK Surrender by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
A Woman Is a Woman, directed by Jean-Luc Godard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Sixth Man by Jess Stearn was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Whispering Smith.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of June 24, 1961?
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John the Baptist, patron saint of QuTbec
- Discovery Day in Newfoundland and Labrador (celebrating the 1497 discovery by John Cabot)
- Bannockburn Day in Scotland (see 1314 above)
- Quarter days in England
- See more
- Happiest Girl in the World closes at Martin Beck NYC after 97 performances
- Beatles record If You Love Me Baby
- Iraq demands dominion over Kuwait
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 24, 1961?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #9 songs in the USA
- Pat Boone - Moody River
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
- Ben E. King - Stand By Me
- Dee Clark - Raindrops
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Pips - Every Beat Of My Heart
- Brook Benton - The Boll Weevil Song
- Little Caesar and the Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies (Remind Me Of You)
Top #5 songs in the UK
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free