Thursday 1 June 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Johnny Ray Huston and Mark Rodenhauser.
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
The Last Sunset, directed by Robert Aldrich, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while A Burnt-Out Case by Graham Greene was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Inspektor Hornleigh greift ein....
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1961!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1961 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- Johnny Ray Huston: Mount Vernon, Illinois -- PGA golfer (1990 Honda Classic).
- Mark Rodenhauser: NFL center (Green Bay Packers, Carolina Panthers).
- Peter Machajdik: Slovakian composer.
- Jennifer Coolidge: American actress and comedian, known for playing "Stifler's mom", a role prominent in the American Pie films; Paulette, the manicurist in Legally Blonde (2001) and its sequel (2003); Hilary Duff's evil stepmother in A Cinderella Story (2004); and as the voice of Aunt Fanny in the animated feature Robots (2005).
- Paul Coffey: Weston, Ontario -- NHL forward (Oilers, Penguins, Red Wings).
- Werner Günthör: Swiss shot putter and bobsledder
- Peter Machajdík: Slovakian-German pianist and composer
- FM multiplex stereo broadcasting 1st heard
- Ethiopia experiences its most devastating earthquake of the 20th century, with a magnitude of 6.7. The town of Majete is destroyed, 45% of the houses in Karakore collapse, of the main road north of Karakore are damaged by landslides and fissures, and 5,000 inhabitants in the area are left homeless.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- Shep and the Limelites - Daddy's Home
- Roy Orbison - Running Scared
- The Shirelles - Mama Said
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Connie Francis - Breakin' In A Brand New Broken Heart
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Elvis Presley - I Feel So Bad
- The Fleetwoods - Tragedy
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?