Sunday 25 March 1979
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Lee Pace and Muriel Hurtis-Houairi.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Tragedy by Bee Gees.
In UK I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor was in the top 5 hits.
Phantasm, directed by Don Coscarelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Hanta Yo by Ruth Beebe Hill was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Pinwheel.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Auto Racing or Galaxian.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 March 1979!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 25 March 1979 ?
- Maryland Day.
- Saint Pelagius
- International Waffle Day in Sweden.
- Freedom Day in Belarus
- Greek Independence Day.
- As the day falls close to the vernal equinox, similar to the way Christmas falls near the winter solstice, both days are regarded as one of the Quarter Days to Christians in the British Isles. (see below)
- Traditional date of the start of the new year in England and Wales, until the Calendar Act of 1752 (called Lady Day - see below).
- Traditional date of the death (circa 33), of Jesus, central figure in Christianity (b. circa 1 BC in traditional dating)
- In Christianity, March 25 is typically celebrated as the day of the Annunciation so long as it does not coincide with a Sunday or during Holy Week. (see below)
- The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) - this date is nine months before Christmas Day, and is based on the traditional date in Catholicism of a 1 BC - Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and conception of Jesus.
- One of the four Irish Quarter days in the Irish calendar.
- Saint Dysmas, the 'Good Murderer'
- Saint Harold
- Saint Humbert
- The date of the passing of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Many fans celebrate this day by throwing parties.
- Saint Izaak
- Lee Pace: American actor.
- Muriel Hurtis-Houairi: French Guadeloupe athlete running the 200 and the 499m.
- François Delamontagne
- Lauren Newton: Australian TV presenter and entertainment reporter.
- Winter Ramos: Reality Star.
- Nancy Lopez wins LPGA Sahara National Pro-Am Golf Tournament.
- The first fully functional space shuttle orbiter, Columbia, is delivered to the John F. Kennedy Space Center to be prepared for its first launch.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bee Gees - Tragedy
- Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
- The Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes
- Donna Summer - Heaven Knows
- Peaches and Herb - Shake Your Groove Thing
- Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?
- Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing
- Pointer Sisters - Fire
- Bobby Caldwell - What You Won't Do For Love
- Olivia Newton-John - A Little More Love
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?