Wednesday 28 March 1979
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Juli Keech and Park Chae-rim.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Tragedy by Bee Gees.
In UK I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor was in the top 5 hits.
Phantasm, directed by Don Coscarelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while War And Remembrance by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching J.J. de Bom voorheen: 'De kindervriend'.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Armor Battle or NASL Soccer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 March 1979!
Which were the important events of 28 March 1979 ?
- Saint Sixtus III
- Slovakia, Czech Republic - Teachers' Day.
- Saint Castor
- Saint Gontram (died 592)
- Saint Malchus
- Saint Priscus
- Juli Keech: Miss South Dakota Teen-USA (1997).
- Park Chae-rim: South Korean actress.
- Crystal Cox: American reality television contestant.
- Benjamin Percy: American novelist and short story writer.
- Chae Rim: South Korean actress.
- Emmett Kelly: circus clown (Weary Willy), dies at age 80.
- Major nuclear accident at 3 Mile Island, Middletown, Pa (no deaths)
- British government of Callaghan falls.
- In Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA, a nuclear energy reactor at Three Mile Island overheats to 4000 degrees, due to a failed drainage valve. Cooling water contaminated with radiation drains into adjoining buildings, releasing radioactive gases throughout the plant and into the atmosphere. By the end of the day, cooling water is restarted, reducing temperature and averting a meltdown.
- The British House of Commons passes a vote of no confidence against James Callaghan's government, precipitating a general election.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 28 March 1979
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bee Gees - Tragedy
- Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
- The Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes
- Donna Summer - Heaven Knows
- Peaches and Herb - Shake Your Groove Thing
- Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing
- Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?
- Amii Stewart - Knock On Wood
- Bobby Caldwell - What You Won't Do For Love
- Melissa Manchester - Don't Cry Out Loud
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?