Thursday 26 January 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Wayne Gretzky and Tom Keifer.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Wonderland By Night by Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra.
In UK Poetry In Motion by Johnny Tillotson was in the top 5 hits.
The Misfits, directed by John Huston, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Shadows On The Grass by Isak Dinesen was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Adieu, Prinzessin.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 January 1961!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 26 January 1961 ?
- Roman Empire - third day of the Sementivae in honor of Ceres and Terra.
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Timothy and Titus
- Saint Paula
- Saint Alberic
- Margaret of Hungary
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Uganda - Liberation Day.
- India - Republic Day - One of only three state holidays in India, celebrated with pomp and a military parade in New Delhi.
- International Customs Day.
- Australia - Australia Day.
- Wayne Gretzky: Canadian-American hockey star named athlete of the year on 01/09/1982 and nicknamed "the great Gretzky.
- Tom Keifer: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Cinderella).
- Daniele Luttazzi: Italian comedian, often controversial for his satire.
- Li Cunxin: Chinese-Australian ballet dancer.
- Mark Urban: English journalist and author.
- Stan Nichols: English cricketer (Born 1900).
- Are You Lonesome Tonight? by Elvis Presley peaks to #1
- 1st woman personal Physician to President-JG Travell
- John F. Kennedy appoints Janet G. Travell to be his physician. This is the first time a woman holds this appointment.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra - Wonderland By Night
- Ferrante and Teicher - Exodus
- Lawrence Welk - Calcutta
- The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
- Rosie - Angel Baby
- Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome To-Night?
- The Miracles - Shop Around
- Neil Sedaka - Calendar Girl
- Brenda Lee - Emotions
- Bobby Vee - Rubber Ball
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?