Saturday 7 January 1961, Orthodox Christmas
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Arnaud Nourry and Emmanuel Pinda.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Are You Lonesome To-Night? by Elvis Presley.
In UK What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For? by Emile Ford & The Checkmates was in the top 5 hits.
Where the Boys Are, directed by Henry Levin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Kleine Stadt - ganz groß.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 7 January 1961!
Which were the important events of 7 January 1961 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of St. Raymond of Pe�afort.
- Christmas Day in the Julian calendar. This is the day on which Christmas is celebrated in most Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches.
- European traditional - Distaff day: women's traditional work begins again after Epiphany.
- Arnaud Nourry: French business leader, current CEO of Hachette Livre and Lagardère publishing houses.
- Emmanuel Pinda: French karateka who won multiple medals at the European Karate Championships and the World Karate Championships.
- Nils Økland: Norwegian fiddler and composer.
- Supriya Pathak: Indian actress.
- Andrew Thomson: Australian lawyer and politician.
- John Thune: American politician, junior senator of South Dakota
- Clarice Baright: 1st woman admitted to American Bar Association, dies at 74.
- 1st NFL Playoff Bowl (runner-up bowl) - Detroit beats Cleveland 17-16
- Trucial States (later United Arab Emirates) issue their first postage stamps.
- Following a 4-day conference in Casablanca, 5 African chiefs of state announce plans for a NATO-type African organization to ensure common defense. The Charter of Casablanca involves the Casablanca Group: Morocco, the United Arab Republic, Ghana, Guinea, and Mali.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 7 January 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome To-Night?
- Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra - Wonderland By Night
- Floyd Cramer - Last Date
- Ferrante and Teicher - Exodus
- Kathy Young - A Thousand Stars
- Johnny Horton - North To Alaska
- Connie Francis - Many Tears Ago
- Johnny Burnette - You're Sixteen
- Rosie - Angel Baby
- Ray Peterson - Corinna, Corinna
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Emile Ford & The Checkmates - What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For?
- Johnny Tillotson - Poetry In Motion
- Cliff Richard - I Love You
- Adam Faith - What Do You Want?
- Matt Monro - Portrait Of My Love
- Neil Sedaka - Oh Carol
- Elmer Bernstein - Staccato's Theme
- The Ventures - Perfidia
- The Drifters - Save The Last Dance For Me
- Michael Holliday - Starry Eyed
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?