Tuesday 26 January 1960
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jeanette Bolden and Gary Plummer NFL linebacker (San Diego Chargers.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Running Bear by Johnny Preston.
In UK What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For? by Emile Ford & The Checkmates was in the top 5 hits.
Our Man in Havana, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Die Firma Hesselbach.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 January 1960!
Which were the important events of 26 January 1960 ?
- Roman Empire - third day of the Sementivae in honor of Ceres and Terra.
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Timothy and Titus
- Saint Paula
- Saint Alberic
- Margaret of Hungary
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Uganda - Liberation Day.
- India - Republic Day - One of only three state holidays in India, celebrated with pomp and a military parade in New Delhi.
- International Customs Day.
- Australia - Australia Day.
- Jeanette Bolden: Los Angeles, California -- 4x100m runner (1984 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Gary Plummer NFL linebacker (San Diego Chargers: San Francisco 49ers).
- Road Warrior Animal: American professional wrestler.
- Pascal Dolique: French industrialist; a pork butcher.
- Charlie Gillingham: American pianist and accordion player (Counting Crows).
- High-school basketball sensation Danny Heater scores 135 points
- Pete Rozelle elected NFL commissioner on the 23rd ballot.
- Oakland enters the AFL.
- Danny Heater sets a worldwide high school basketball scoring record when he records 135 points for Burnsville High School (West Virginia)
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Preston - Running Bear
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Mark Dinning - Teen Angel
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Andy Williams - The Village Of St. Bernadette
- Jimmy Clanton - Go, Jimmy, Go
- Steve Lawrence - Pretty Blue Eyes
- Dion and the Belmonts - Where Or When
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?