Wednesday 29 December 1937
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Dieter Heck and Wayne Huizenga.
Sex Madness, directed by Dwain Esper, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1937
while The Years by Virginia Woolf was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Craftsmen at Work.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 December 1937!
Which were the important events of 29 December 1937 ?
- The fourth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Thomas Becket (optional memorial)
- Dieter Heck: German television presenter, singer and actor.
- Wayne Huizenga: American entrepreneur and CEO/partial owner of Blockbuster Entertainment, a nationwide chain of video media rentals.
- Barbara Steele: English actress and producer.
- Don Marquis: American writer and journalist, famed for his "archy and mehitabel," an autobiography written by a cockroach (archy) and his friend, an alley cat (mehitiabel), the entire book was written in lower case, inasmuch as the cockroach could not use the shift key.
- Pan Am starts San Francisco-to-Auckland, New Zealand service
- Lou Thesz beats E Marshall in Saint Louis, Missouri, USA to become wrestling champion.
- The Irish Free State is replaced by a new state called Ireland with the adoption of a new constitution.
- Switzerland begins construction of its Border Line defences.
- The Vibora Luviminda trades union's sugar plantation strike on Maui island, Hawaii.
- Jimmie Angel lands his plane on top of Devil's Mountain however, the plane gets damaged and he has to trek through the rainforest for help.
- Italian psychiatrist Amarro Fiamberti is the first to document a transorbital approach to the brain, which becomes the basis for the controversial medical procedure of transorbital lobotomy.
- ''Of Mice and Men'' by John Steinbeck is published.
- Soviet industry produces about four times as much as it had in 1928.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1937 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Thanks for the Memory - Shep Fields & His Rippling Rhythm Orchestra
- There's a Gold Mine in the Sky - Horace Heidt & His Orchestra
- Sweet Someone - Horace Heidt & His Orchestra
- In the Still of the Night - Leo Reisman & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?