January 2012 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 2012.
The US president was Barack Obama (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was David Cameron (Conservative), Pope Benedict XVI was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 2012: find out below
Which were the important events of January 2012?
- 01 Jan 2012 Arab Spring
- 02 Jan 2012 Arab Spring
- 03 Jan 2012 Followingmath of the 2011 Libyan civil War: Elements of ex-anti-Gaddafi forces of Tripoli and Misrata clashed in the middle of Tripoli with five people reported to have been killed.
- 04 Jan 2012 Two bombs exploded in Maiduguri, northern Nigeria. The Boko Haram movement is believed to be behind them.
- 05 Jan 2012 2011-2012 Syrian uprising
- 06 Jan 2012 2011-2012 Syrian uprising. According to Syrian state media 26 people were killed and 63 injured when a suicide bomber attacked a Damascus police station. The Syrian opposition claims that the Syrian government orchestrated the attack and that security forces have given them information that Aleppo will be next.
- 07 Jan 2012 After Boko Haram, a radical Islamic group, issues an ultimatum to all Christians for them to flee the north, at least 37 people were killed in attacks on northeastern Nigeria in just two days.
- 08 Jan 2012 Georgia declares that 15 Georgian sailors who were held hostage for more than a year by pirates in Somalia are now free thanks to the government's efforts.
- 09 Jan 2012 Insurgency in North Caucasus: There are clashes between Russian forces and Islamist militants at the Vedensky district, Chechnya. According to reports, 8 people were killed and 16 others were injured.
- 10 Jan 2012 At least 29 people are killed and more than 50 injured in a bombing at Khyber Agency in Pakistan.
- 11 Jan 2012 The United States denies any involvement with a bomb explosion that claimed the life of an Iranian scientist.
- 12 Jan 2012 Shia insurgency in Yemen: At least 20 people are killed in Sunni Shia fighting in north Yemen.
- 13 Jan 2012 2011-2012 Syrian uprising. Security forces kill at most 13 protesters, including three kids, during ongoing demonstrations in Syria.
- 14 Jan 2012 In Basra, an Iraqi city, a suicide bomber injures over 130 people and kills at most 53.
- 15 Jan 2012 A bomb explodes near a Shia Muslim procession, killing at least 18 and injuring 30 others in Khanpur, Pakistan.
- 16 Jan 2012 Romanian protests continue for fifth consecutive day: Protests continue against President Traian Basescu and Emil Boc in over 60 cities throughout the country.
- 17 Jan 2012 2012 Afar Region Tourist Attack: Unknown assailants attack 2 Hungarians in northeastern Ethiopia, 2 Germans, and 1 Austrian.
- 18 Jan 2012 Francesco Schettino, an Italian captain of a cruise ship, admits to making navigational mistakes that resulted in the capsize of the Costa Concordia in Italian waters on January 13th, killing at least 11 people.
- 19 Jan 2012 2011-2012 Syrian uprising. The Arab League observer mission has ended. Its report will be reviewed at the weekend.
- 20 Jan 2012 2011-2012 Syrian uprising. At least 10 people are murdered in violence following Friday prayers.
- 21 Jan 2012 A series of coordinated bombing attacks on Kano, Nigeria, has resulted in more than 140 deaths. Boko Haram, an Islamist group, is responsible for the attacks that targeted police stations in Kano.
- 22 Jan 2012 2011-2012 Syrian uprising. Arab League ministers met in Cairo, Egypt to discuss the extension its monitoring mission in Syria.
- 23 Jan 2012 Relations Iran-European Union: In protest at Iran's efforts to enrich uranium, the European Union adopts an embargo.
- 24 Jan 2012 2011-2012 Syrian uprising: 52 civilians were killed by security forces in Syria, of which 39 were killed in Hama.
- 25 Jan 2012 Syrian uprising of 2011-12: 18 protesters were killed by security forces.
- 26 Jan 2012 Tuareg Rebellion (2011-present: Tuareg rebels seize the fourth Malian city in less than a week.
- 27 Jan 2012 A young Tibetan man was shot to death by Chinese security forces in Sichuan province. This is at least the third such shooting this week.
- 28 Jan 2012 2011-2012 Syrian uprising. The Arab League suspends their observer mission, citing an increase in violence.
- 29 Jan 2012 Oakland, California: More than 100 arrests made after police confront protesters using stun grenades and tear gas.
- 30 Jan 2012 Two people were shot and killed by police in Podor as a result of protests against a Constitutional Council decision that President of Senegal Abdoulaye Wade could run for reelection.
- 31 Jan 2012 According to the People's Republic of China, 29 Chinese citizens who were abducted while working in a Sudan construction project are still missing.
Danish princess, styled Countess of Monpezat.
American child of noted family, the first child of Beyonce and Jay-Z.
American child of noted parents, he is the second son of singer Jo Dee Messina and her husband Chris Deffenbaugh.
- See more