Major political events in 1907 would set up major events for the coming years. In a continuation of the civil unrest in the Russian Empire, there was a massive protest of over 40,000 people in front of the State Duma (a legislative body in the latter days of the Russian Empire) that had to be disbursed.
The unrest would culminate in a total revolution in Russian politics and society, with the Empire coming to an end with the abdication of Czar Nicholas II ten years later, in 1917.
In another major political event, Britain, France, and Russia formed the Triple Entente in 1907. This agreement between these powers formed the basis for what would eventually be called the Allied Powers of World War I. In the meantime, the Entente balanced out their rivals in the Triple Alliance, which consisted of Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Italy (although Italy would eventually join the Allies in 1915).
There were some notable developments in film and theatre in 1907 as well. In film, Louis B. Mayer opened his first movie theatre, and would go on to open a large chain of theatres. Mayer would become so successful that he eventually went into the production side of the movie business, developing the production company that would become known as Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Also, the film titled, “L’ Enfant prodigue,” Europe’s first feature-length film, premiered in Paris this year.
In the field of theatre, George Cohan’s Talk of the Town opened in New York City, and George Bernard Shaw’s Don Juan in Hell premiered in London.
In addition to these events, there were some significant cultural events that occurred this year. In Seattle, Washington, the famous Pike Place Market was dedicated. It would become a tremendous seafood market and the home of the immensely popular coffee company, Starbucks. 1907 would be significant for Western culture and the development of the science of psychology, as Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud metfor the first time this year in Vienna.
All Nobel Prize winners of 1907
- Ernesto Teodoro Moneta
- Louis Renault
- Rudyard Kipling
- Albert Abraham Michelson
- Eduard Buchner
Physiology or Medicine
- Charles Louis Alphonse Laveran
Which were the top hits of 1907?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1907?
- 01 Jan 1907 President Theodore Roosevelt shakes a record 8,513 hands in one day.
- 06 Jan 1907 Maria Montessori opens her first school and daycare center for working class children in Rome.
- 12 Jan 1907 Britain grants responsible government to former colony of Transvaal.
- 14 Jan 1907 An earthquake in Kingston, Jamaica kills more than 1,000.
- 15 Jan 1907 3-element vacuum tube patented by Dr Lee de Forest.
- 21 Jan 1907 Kenora Thistles sweep Montana Wanderers in two for the Stanley Cup.
- 25 Jan 1907 Julia Ward Howe is 1st woman elected to National Institute of Arts & Letters
- 26 Jan 1907 The Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk III is officially introduced into British Military Service, and remains the second oldest military rifle still in official use.
- 07 Feb 1907 The Mud March is the first large procession organized by the National Union of Women's Suffrage Societies (NUWSS).
- 11 Feb 1907 Passenger ship Larchmont sinks by Block Island, 322 die
- 13 Feb 1907 English suffragettes storm British Parliament and 60 women are arrested.
- 21 Feb 1907 SS Berlin sinks off Hoek van Holland Netherlands (142 dead).
- 25 Feb 1907 US proclaims protectorate over Dominican Republic.
- 26 Feb 1907 Royal Oil and Shell merge to form British Petroleum (BP).
- 02 Mar 1907 General Louis Botha named premier of Transvaal.
- 15 Mar 1907 Finland is first European country to give women the right to vote.
- 19 Mar 1907 18.8 cm precipitation at Lewer's Ranch Nevada (state record).
- 21 Mar 1907 US invades Honduras.
- 22 Mar 1907 The first taxicabs with taxi meters begin operating in London.
- 24 Mar 1907 The first issue of the Georgian Bolshevik newspaper Dro is published.
- 25 Mar 1907 Stanley Cup: Montreal Wanderers lose to Kenora Thistles but outscore them in 2 game set but outscore them 12-8 and win cup
- 11 Apr 1907 New York Giants Roger Bresnahan becomes first catcher to wear shin guards.
- 12 Apr 1907 Belgium government of De Stain de Naeyer, resigns.
- 17 Apr 1907 Ellis Island, New York - 11,745 immigrants arrive
- 18 Apr 1907 Fairmont Hotel opens.
- 19 Apr 1907 11th Boston Marathon won by Tom Longboat of Canada in 2:24:24.
- 24 Apr 1907 Hersheypark, founded by Milton S. Hershey for the exclusive use of his employees, is opened.
- 30 Apr 1907 Honolulu, Hawaii becomes an independent city.
- 01 May 1907 Indian Mine Laws passes (concessions from Netherlands-Indies).
- 02 May 1907 Belgium Jules baron de Trooz forms Belgian Government.
- 06 May 1907 33rd Kentucky Derby: Andy Minder aboard Pink Star wins in 2:12.6.
- 07 May 1907 Charles Collier wins first Isle of Man TT Race (38.22 mph).
- 11 May 1907 Bank of SF incorporated
- 21 May 1907 32nd Preakness: G Mountain aboard Don Enrique wins in 1:45.4.
- 22 May 1907 Albert Trott takes two hat-tricks in an innings, Middlesex versus Somerset.
- 23 May 1907 The unicameral Parliament of Finland gathers for its first plenary session.
- 26 May 1907 Chicago White Sox Ed Walsh no-hits New York Highlanders, 8-1 in five inning game.
- 28 May 1907 Auto-Cycle Union Tourist Trophy, 1st held
- 30 May 1907 41st Belmont Stakes: G Mountain aboard Peter Pan wins.
- 04 Jun 1907 Automatic washer and dryer introduced
- 05 Jun 1907 Automatic washer and dryer are introduced
- 11 Jun 1907 Northants all out for 12 vs. Gloucestershire
- 12 Jun 1907 Yanks commit 11 errors and lose 14-6 to Tigers
- 14 Jun 1907 Government of Transvaal sends home 50,000 Chinese day workers
- 15 Jun 1907 44 nations meet in second Hague Peace Conference.
- 21 Jun 1907 E W Scripps founded United Press
- 22 Jun 1907 The London Underground's Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway opens.
- 26 Jun 1907 Bolsheviks overthrows transport in Tiflis
- 28 Jun 1907 Nationals steal a record 13 bases off catcher Branch Rickey
- 03 Jul 1907 Pope decree forbids modernization of theology
- 04 Jul 1907 Tommy Burns KOs Bill Squires in 1 for heavyweight boxing title
- 08 Jul 1907 Florenz Ziegfeld staged his first Follies on the roof of the New York Theater in New York City.
- 18 Jul 1907 French troops occupy Casablanca
- 21 Jul 1907 The SS ''Columbia'' sinks after colliding with the lumber schooner ''San Pedro'' off Shelter Cove, California, U.S.A., resulting in 88 deaths.
- 23 Jul 1907 7th Davis Cup: Australasia beats British Isles in Wimbledon (3-2)
- 25 Jul 1907 Korea becomes a protectorate of Japan.
- 29 Jul 1907 1st helicopter ascent in Douai, France
- 01 Aug 1907 Signal Corps of US army starts aircraft division
- 02 Aug 1907 Walter Johnson, 19, debuts with Washington and loses 3-2 to Detroit
- 07 Aug 1907 Walter Johnson wins 1st of his 416 wins, 7-2 over Cleveland
- 09 Aug 1907 The first Boy Scout encampment concludes at Brownsea Island in southern England.
- 10 Aug 1907 Prince Scipone Borchesi wins Peking to Paris, 7,500 mile auto rally.
- 13 Aug 1907 1st taxicab (NYC)
- 14 Aug 1907 Ha-Tikva adopted as official Zionist hymn
- 15 Aug 1907 Ordination in Constantinople of Fr. Raphael Morgan, first African-American Orthodox priest, ''Priest-Apostolic'' to America and the West Indies.
- 16 Aug 1907 Abd al-Hafid proclaims himself Sultan of Morocco
- 17 Aug 1907 Bishop forbids Christian membership in Dutch Textile Union
- 22 Aug 1907 Colin Buchanan, town planner
- 26 Aug 1907 Houdini escapes from chains underwater at Aquatic Park in 57 seconds
- 28 Aug 1907 United Parcel Service (UPS) is founded by James E. Casey in Seattle, Washington.
- 29 Aug 1907 The Quebec Bridge collapses during construction, killing 75 workers.
- 31 Aug 1907 Britain and Russia sign treaty with Afghanistan, Persia and Tibet
- 07 Sep 1907 Cunard Line's RMS Lusitania sets sail on her maiden voyage from Liverpool, England to New York City.
- 08 Sep 1907 Pius X publishes encyclical Pasceni dominici gregis (anti-modernism)
- 12 Sep 1907 Lusitania arrives in NYC after 5 day crossing of Atlantic (record)
- 13 Sep 1907 Interprovincial Rugby Football union (Big Four) forms with Hamilton Tigers, Toronto Argonauts, Ottawa Rough Riders and Montreal Foot Ball
- 19 Sep 1907 Frank A. Leach becomes US Mint director.
- 23 Sep 1907 Proclamation sets fineness and weight of silver and bronze coins of Canada
- 26 Sep 1907 New Zealand and Newfoundland each become dominions within the British Empire.
- 29 Sep 1907 Construction begins on Washington National Cathedral.
- 30 Sep 1907 Cards Ed Konetchy steals home twice and Joe Delahanty also steals home for record 3 steals of home (vs. Boston)
- 01 Oct 1907 Plaza Hotel (5th Av & 59th Str, NY) opens
- 05 Oct 1907 Interprovincial Rugby Football Union plays first game (Montreal 17 Toronto 8).
- 09 Oct 1907 Las Cruces, New Mexico is incorporated.
- 12 Oct 1907 Cubs beat Tigers 4 games to 0 with 1 tie in 4th World Series
- 16 Oct 1907 Belasco Theater opens at 111 W 44th St, New York City
- 17 Oct 1907 Guglielmo Marconi's company begins the first commercial transatlantic wireless service between Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada and Clifden, Ireland.
- 18 Oct 1907 Hague Convention revised by (second) Hague Peace Conference (effective 26 January 1910).
- 19 Oct 1907 1st printing of Dutch Tribune (Wijnkoop / Van Ravesteyn / Ceton)
- 22 Oct 1907 Ringling Brothers Greatest Show on Earth buys Barnum and Bailey circus
- 25 Oct 1907 Frederik of Oaths disbands mental home colony Walden
- 27 Oct 1907 Černová tragedy: Fifteen people are shot during the consecration of a Catholic church in Hungary.
- 02 Nov 1907 Ottawa Mint Proclamation is published
- 07 Nov 1907 Test tokens are struck in 1st production of Canadian coins
- 09 Nov 1907 Edmonton Rugby Foot-ball Club 1st game, loses to Calgary City Rugby Foot-ball Club 26-5 at Edmonton Exhibition Grounds
- 13 Nov 1907 French cyclist Paul Cornu flies 1st helicopter (twin rotor)
- 16 Nov 1907 Oklahoma becomes 46th US state.
- 28 Nov 1907 In Haverhill, Massachusetts, scrap-metal dealer Louis B. Mayer opens his first movie theater.
- 30 Nov 1907 Pike Place Market dedicated in Seattle.
- 02 Dec 1907 Tommy Burns knocks out Gunner Moir in 10 to retain the heavyweight boxing title.
- 03 Dec 1907 George Cohan's musical "Talk of the Town" premieres in New York City, New York.
- 06 Dec 1907 A coal mine explosion at Monongah, West Virginia kills 362 workers.
- 07 Dec 1907 In Bellefontaine, Ohio, USA, a falling meteorite starts a fire, destroying a house.
- 08 Dec 1907 King Gustaf V of Sweden accedes to the Swedish throne.
- 09 Dec 1907 Gustav Mahler departs Vienna.
- 10 Dec 1907 Ruyard Kipling receives Nobel Prize for literature.
- 11 Dec 1907 The New Zealand Parliament Buildings are almost completely destroyed by fire.
- 13 Dec 1907 George Gunn scores 119 on Test debut versus Australia Sydney Cricket Ground.
- 14 Dec 1907 The schooner Thomas W. Lawson runs aground and founders near the Hellweather's Reef within the Scilly Isles in a gale. The pilot and 15 seamen die.
- 16 Dec 1907 The U.S. Navy's Atlantic Fleet is launched from Hampton Roads, Virginia, on an around-the-world voyage.
- 17 Dec 1907 Ugyen Wangchuck became first hereditary king of Bhutan.
- 19 Dec 1907 Gas explosion at Jacobs Creek Pa, coal mine kills 239
- 20 Dec 1907 Explosion at Yolande Alabama, coal mine kills 91.
- 21 Dec 1907 Dutch government of De Master falls due to war budget.
- 31 Dec 1907 G Mahler conducts the Metropolitan Opera