1957 was a year to remember in a number of fields. In literature, for example, Jack Kerouac’s On the Road was published. This work was a major piece in the Beat genre and sketches out the beginning of the Counterculture movement in the United States.
This was also the year that Ayn Rand’s most famous work, Atlas Shrugged, was published. A famously divisive work, this was undeniably Rand’s greatest and most influential piece.
This was an important year for theatre, film, and television as well. In theatre, Leonard Bernstein’s West Side Story opened on Broadway. In film, Loving You and Jailhouse Rock were released in the US, starring Elvis Presley. The former of the two was his first starring role. This year was also when The Bridge on the River Kwaipremiered in the United Kingdom. The film would go on to win Best Picture at the 30th Academy Awards in 1958.
In television, Rogers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella was telecast live on CBS. This year, CBS’s The Seven Lively Arts presented Tchaikovsky’s ballet, The Nutcracker, for the first time on American television. 1957 was also the year that Leave It to Beaver premiered. The show would attain cultural icon status, with its idealized portrayal of suburban life in America.
There were some major cultural events that occurred this year, too. This was the year that Elvis Presley bought Graceland, his famous estate in Memphis, Tennessee. The Brooklyn Dodgers moved to Los Angeles this year, bringing the legendary franchise to California. 1957 was also the year that Paul McCartney and John Lennon met for the first time in Liverpool, England. The meeting occurred three years before The Beatles were formed. In space exploration, this was the year that the Soviets launched Sputnik 2. This mission launched the first animal to orbit the Earth, a dog, called Laika.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 30th edition of the Oscar ceremony
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1957?
Which were the most popular books released in 1957 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1957
- Lester B. Pearson
- Albert Camus
- Chen Ning Yang
- Tsung-Dao Lee
- The Lord Todd
Physiology or Medicine
- Daniel Bovet
Which were the top hits of 1957?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #1 songs in the UK
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1957
- Total population: 2.9 billion (2,873,306,090 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 919.5 million, that is 32.0% of the total population of 1957 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +50.8 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.8%
- Average density: 19.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1957?
- 01 Jan 1957 France returns Saar to become the 10th state of German Federal Republic.
- 02 Jan 1957 The San Francisco and Los Angeles stock exchanges merge to form the Pacific Coast Stock Exchange.
- 03 Jan 1957 First electric watch introduced, in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA.
- 04 Jan 1957 Blondie situation comedy premieres on NBC TV (later on CBS)
- 05 Jan 1957 US President Dwight Eisenhower asks Congress to send troops to the Middle East.
- 06 Jan 1957 Elvis Presley makes his 7th and final appearance on Ed Sullivan Show
- 09 Jan 1957 Dutch Newspaper Society expels communist daily paper Truth
- 10 Jan 1957 Anthony Eden resigns and Harold Macmillan becomes Prime Minister of Great Britain.
- 11 Jan 1957 The African Convention is founded in Dakar.
- 12 Jan 1957 Southern Christian Leadership Council (SCLC) founded.
- 13 Jan 1957 Bollingen Prize for poetry awarded to Allen Tate.
- 14 Jan 1957 Jagadguru Kripalu Maharaj was named fifth Jagadguru (world teacher) after giving seven days of speeches before 500 Hindu scholars.
- 15 Jan 1957 Brooklyn Dodgers sign a new three-year lease for Ebbets Field.
- 16 Jan 1957 3 B-52s leave California for 1st non-stop round world flights
- 17 Jan 1957 9-county commission recommends creation of BART
- 20 Jan 1957 Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Tampa Golf Open.
- 21 Jan 1957 KSAT TV channel 12 in San Antonio, TX (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 22 Jan 1957 Israeli forces withdraw from the Sinai Penisula.
- 23 Jan 1957 Ku Klux Klan members force truck driver Willie Edwards to jump off a bridge into the Alabama River he drowns as a result.
- 25 Jan 1957 FBI arrests Jack and Myra Sobel, charged with spying for the USSR.
- 26 Jan 1957 India annexes Kashmir.
- 27 Jan 1957 Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Lake Worth Golf Open.
- 28 Jan 1957 Tonight! America After Dark premieres, with Jack Lescoulie and Al (Jazzbo) Collins on NBC (between Steve Allen and Jack Paar)
- 30 Jan 1957 US Congress accepts "Eisenhower-doctrine".
- 31 Jan 1957 Trans-Iranian oil pipe line finished.
- 01 Feb 1957 1st black pilot (PH Young) on a US scheduled passenger airline
- 02 Feb 1957 Candide closes at Martin Beck Theater NYC after 73 performances
- 03 Feb 1957 Patty Berg wins LPGA Havana Golf Open.
- 04 Feb 1957 First electric portable typewriter placed on sale (Syracuse, New York, USA).
- 05 Feb 1957 Dmitri Shostakovitch completes his 2nd Piano Concert
- 10 Feb 1957 Southern Christian Leadership Conference forms
- 11 Feb 1957 KUMV TV channel 8 in Williston, ND (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 12 Feb 1957 Researchers announce Borazan (harder than diamonds) has been developed.
- 13 Feb 1957 Southern Christian Leadership Conference organizes in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 14 Feb 1957 Georgia Senate unanimously approves Senator Leon Butts' bill barring blacks from playing baseball with whites.
- 15 Feb 1957 Andrei A Gromyko succeeds Dmitri Shepilov as Soviet foreign minister.
- 16 Feb 1957 The ''Toddlers' Truce'', a controversial television close down between 6.00pm and 7.00pm is abolished in the United Kingdom.
- 17 Feb 1957 Suez Canal reopens
- 18 Feb 1957 Kenyan rebel leader Dedan Kimathi is executed by the British colonial government.
- 20 Feb 1957 Hughie Tayfield takes 9-113 versus England, 13 wickets for match.
- 21 Feb 1957 Dodgers (Ft Worth) and Cubs (LA) trade minor league franchises
- 22 Feb 1957 Jockey Ted Atkinson records his 3,500th win.
- 23 Feb 1957 Mr Wonderful closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 383 performances
- 25 Feb 1957 US Supreme Court decides 6-3, baseball is only antitrust-exempt professional sport.
- 27 Feb 1957 Premiere of only prime-time network TV show beginning with an X: Xavier Cugat Show on NBC (until X-Files)
- 01 Mar 1957 Ziegfeld Follies of 1957 opens at Winter Garden NYC for 123 performances
- 03 Mar 1957 Ice Dance Championship at Colorado Spr won by Markham and Jones (GRB)
- 04 Mar 1957 The S&P 500 stock market index is introduced, replacing the S&P 90.
- 05 Mar 1957 Sgt Bilko satirizes Elvis Presley (Elvis Pelvin)
- 06 Mar 1957 Ghana (formerly Gold Coast) declares independence from United Kingdom.
- 07 Mar 1957 The United States Congress approves the Eisenhower Doctrine.
- 08 Mar 1957 Israeli troops leave Egypt; Suez Canal re-opened for minor ships.
- 09 Mar 1957 A magnitude 8.3 earthquake in the Andreanof Islands, Alaska triggers a Pacific-wide tsunami causing extensive damage to Hawaii and Oahu.
- 10 Mar 1957 Thousands of soccer fans riot in Italy.
- 13 Mar 1957 Bloody battles after anti-Batista demonstration in Havana, Cuba.
- 14 Mar 1957 Indonesian government of Sastroamidjojo resigns.
- 15 Mar 1957 3rd nation to explode a nuclear bomb (Britain)
- 16 Mar 1957 9th Emmy Awards: Phil Silvers Show, Robert Young and Loretta Young
- 17 Mar 1957 Dutch ban on Sunday driving lifted
- 18 Mar 1957 WTWV (now WTVA) TV channel 9 in Tupelo-Columbus, MS (NBC) begins
- 20 Mar 1957 Britain accepts NATO offer to mediate in Cyprus, but Greece rejects it.
- 22 Mar 1957 Earthquake gives San Francisco, California the shakes.
- 23 Mar 1957 US army sells last homing pigeons.
- 25 Mar 1957 NBA modifies the free-throw rule.
- 26 Mar 1957 22-year-old Elvis Presley buys Graceland on 3734 Bellevue Boulevard (Highway 51 South) for $US100,000. He and his family move from the house on 1034 Audubon Drive.
- 27 Mar 1957 29th Academy Awards: Around World in 80 Days, Yul Brynner, and Ingrid Bergman win.
- 29 Mar 1957 The New York, Ontario and Western Railway makes its final run, the first major U.S. railroad to be abandoned in its entirety.
- 31 Mar 1957 Elections to the Territorial Assembly of the French colony Upper Volta are held. After the elections PDU and MDV form a government.
- 01 Apr 1957 WYES TV channel 12 in New Orleans, LA (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 05 Apr 1957 In India, Communists win the first elections in united Kerala and E.M.S. Namboodiripad is sworn in as the first chief minister.
- 06 Apr 1957 New York City ends trolley car service
- 07 Apr 1957 Last of New York's electric trolleys completes its final run.
- 09 Apr 1957 Suez Canal cleared for all shipping.
- 10 Apr 1957 Jordanian government of Naboelsi resigns.
- 11 Apr 1957 Pablo Neruda arrested in Buenos Aires
- 12 Apr 1957 Jim Spalding sets a 2088-pin nine-game bowling record.
- 13 Apr 1957 Shinbone Alley opens at Broadway Theater NYC for 49 performances
- 14 Apr 1957 Wiffi Smith wins LPGA Dallas Golf Open.
- 15 Apr 1957 Congress gives Post Office $41M; restoring Saturday mail delivery
- 17 Apr 1957 Suspected serial killer John Bodkin Adams is found not guilty of murder at the Old Bailey.
- 20 Apr 1957 61st Boston Marathon won by John J Kelley of Connecticut in 2:20:05.
- 21 Apr 1957 Pope Pius XII publishes encyclical Fidei Donum
- 22 Apr 1957 All NL teams intergates, John Irwin Kennedy is 1st black on Phillies
- 24 Apr 1957 Chicago Cubs' pitchers walk National League record nine Cincinnati Reds in 5th inning.
- 25 Apr 1957 WUHY TV channel 35 in Philadelphia, PA (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 26 Apr 1957 Jamestown, Va 350th Anniversary Festival opens
- 28 Apr 1957 WSOC TV channel 9 in Charlotte, NC (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 29 Apr 1957 First military nuclear power plant dedicated, Fort Belvoir, Virginia, USA.
- 01 May 1957 Flevo Boys soccer team forms in Emmeloord
- 02 May 1957 Vincent Gigante fails to assassinate mafioso Frank Costello in Manhattan.
- 03 May 1957 Walter O'Malley, the owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, agrees to move the team from Brooklyn, New York, to Los Angeles, California.
- 04 May 1957 83rd Kentucky Derby: Bill Hartack aboard Iron Liege wins in 2:02.2.
- 05 May 1957 Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Peach Blossom Golf Open.
- 06 May 1957 Last broadcast of I Love Lucy on CBS-TV
- 07 May 1957 Maj Johnson, USAAF flies a Lockheed Starfight to 17.28 miles (27.8 K)
- 10 May 1957 Dmitri Sjostakovitsch 2nd Piano concert, premieres in Moscow
- 11 May 1957 Gabriel Paris forms Government of Colombia.
- 12 May 1957 Erich von Stroheim, Austrian/US actor (Grand Illusion), dies at age 71.
- 14 May 1957 New Girt in Town opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 432 performances
- 15 May 1957 18,000 people at Madison Square Garden - Billy Graham launched a crusade
- 16 May 1957 Pope Pius XII publishes encyclical Invicti Athletae
- 17 May 1957 School desegregation law, Brown vs. Board of education
- 18 May 1957 83rd Preakness: Eddie Arcaro aboard Bold Ruler wins in 1:56.2.
- 19 May 1957 Adone Zoli forms Italian Government.
- 21 May 1957 French Government of Mollet resigns.
- 22 May 1957 KBTX TV channel 3 in Bryan, TX (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 24 May 1957 Anti-American riots breakout in Taipei, Taiwan.
- 25 May 1957 Shinbone Alley closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 49 performances
- 26 May 1957 Beverly Hanson wins LPGA Land of Sky Golf Open.
- 27 May 1957 Toronto's CHUM-AM, (1050 kHz) becomes Canada's first radio station to broadcast only top 40 Rock n' Roll music format.
- 28 May 1957 WPSD TV channel 6 in Paducah, KY (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 29 May 1957 New York City Mayor Robert Wagner says he plans to confer with the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers about the proposed move to the west coast.
- 30 May 1957 Real Madrid wins second Europe Cup 1 in Madrid, Spain.
- 31 May 1957 Great Britain performs nuclear test at Christmas Island (atmospheric)
- 01 Jun 1957 1st US runner breaks 4 minute mile (Don Bowden)
- 02 Jun 1957 Fay Crocker wins LPGA Triangle Round Robin Golf Tournament
- 04 Jun 1957 May and Cowdrey make 411 stand vs. WI Ramadhin bowls 98 overs
- 05 Jun 1957 New York narcotics investigator, Dr Herbert Berger, urges AMA to investigate use of stimulating drugs by athletes.
- 06 Jun 1957 The decision of the Automobile Manufacturers Association (in the USA) to ban race involvement is announced. The ban on racing involvement includes not helping others, not supply pace cars, not publicize any results, not advertise any features of passenger cars that suggest speed.
- 09 Jun 1957 Anthony Eden resigns as British Prime Minister.
- 10 Jun 1957 3rd LPGA Championship won by Louise Suggs
- 12 Jun 1957 Stan Musial plays in 823rd game (new NL consecutive-game streak)
- 13 Jun 1957 Mayflower II from Plymouth, England, reaches Plymouth, Massachusetts
- 14 Jun 1957 42.0 cm rain falls on East St. Louis, Illinois (state record)
- 15 Jun 1957 Ziegfeld Follies of 1957 closes at Winter Garden NYC after 123 performances
- 16 Jun 1957 French offensive in Algeria
- 17 Jun 1957 So Rare by Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra peaks at #2
- 18 Jun 1957 John Diefenbacker (Conservative) takes office as Prime Minister of Canada.
- 21 Jun 1957 Ellen Louks Fairclough is sworn in as Canada's first woman Cabinet Minister.
- 22 Jun 1957 The Soviet Union launches an R-12 missile for the first time (in the Kapustin Yar).
- 24 Jun 1957 I Love Lucy, last airs on CBS-TV
- 25 Jun 1957 Jonathan Winters Show, last airs on NBC-TV
- 27 Jun 1957 390 die by Hurricane Audrey in coastal Louisiana and Texas, USA.
- 28 Jun 1957 Frick overrules and names Stan Musial, Willie Mays, and Hank Aaron to team
- 29 Jun 1957 Malenkov, Molotov, Kaganowitsj and Sjepilov leave USSR communist party
- 01 Jul 1957 WRLP TV channel 32 in Greenfield / Keene / Brat, MA (IND) 1st broadcast
- 02 Jul 1957 1st submarine designed to fire guided missiles launched, Grayback
- 04 Jul 1957 Dutch 2nd Chamber accepts temporary tax increase
- 05 Jul 1957 71st Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Lew Hoad beats Ashley J Cooper (62 61 62)
- 06 Jul 1957 64th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Althea Gibson beats Darlene Hard (63 62)
- 07 Jul 1957 Heavy storm ravages Belgian coast
- 08 Jul 1957 Baeball Owners re-elect Commissioner Ford Frick
- 09 Jul 1957 Discovery of element 102 (Nobelium) announced.
- 12 Jul 1957 US Surgeon General Leroy Burney connects smoking with lung cancer
- 14 Jul 1957 Soviet steamer Eshghbad sinks in Caspian Sea, drowning 270
- 15 Jul 1957 Dutch Super Constellation crashes near New Guinea, 56 die
- 16 Jul 1957 Marine Major John Glenn sets transcontinental speed record (3:28:08).
- 19 Jul 1957 First rocket with nuclear warhead fired, Yucca Flat, Nevada, USA.
- 21 Jul 1957 1st black to win a major US tennis tournament (Althea Gibson)
- 24 Jul 1957 KTVC TV channel 6 in Ensign, KS (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 25 Jul 1957 Monarchy in Tunisa abolished in favor of a republic.
- 26 Jul 1957 Mickey Mantle hits career home run number 200.
- 28 Jul 1957 Jerry Lee Lewis makes his 1st TV appearance (Steve Allen Show)
- 29 Jul 1957 Floyd Patterson TKOs Tommy Jackson in 10 for heavyweight boxing title
- 01 Aug 1957 Gil Hodges hits his NL record 13th career grand slam (Last by Brooklyn)
- 03 Aug 1957 British offensive against imam Galeb Ben Ali of Oman
- 04 Aug 1957 Juan Manuel Fangio, driving for Maserati, wins the Formula One German Grand Prix, clinching (with 4 wins that season) his record 5th world drivers championship, including his 4th consecutive championship (also a record) these 2 records endure for nearly half a century.
- 05 Aug 1957 American Bandstand, a show dedicated to the teenage ''baby-boomers'' by playing the songs and showing popular dances of the time, debuts on the ABC television network.
- 08 Aug 1957 USSR offers Syria economic / military aid
- 09 Aug 1957 24th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: New York Giants 22, All-Stars 12 (75,000)
- 11 Aug 1957 Patty Berg wins LPGA All-American Golf Open
- 15 Aug 1957 David Simons reaches 30,942 m in Man High 2 balloon
- 17 Aug 1957 Richie Ashburn, fouls hit fan Alice Roth twice in same at bat 1st one breaks her nose, 2nd one hits her while she is on the stretcher
- 18 Aug 1957 Betty Dodd wins LPGA Colonial Golf Open
- 19 Aug 1957 US Major David Simons reaches 30,933m in a balloon
- 20 Aug 1957 Simply Heavenly opens at Playhouse Theater NYC for 62 performances
- 21 Aug 1957 1st launching in Baikonur, Kazachstan (R7 Semiorka-rocket)
- 22 Aug 1957 Floyd Patterson KOs Pete Rademacher in 6 for heavyweight boxing title
- 25 Aug 1957 Prince Suvanna Phuma forms government in LAOS, with Pathet Lao
- 26 Aug 1957 USSR announces successful test of intercontinental ballistic missile.
- 27 Aug 1957 Hickory Smoke wins Hambletonian Stakes
- 28 Aug 1957 US Senator Strom Thurmond begins 24-hour filibuster against civil rights bill.
- 29 Aug 1957 US Congress passes Civil Rights Act of 1957.
- 30 Aug 1957 US senator Strom Thurmond speaks 24hrs 27m against civil rights
- 31 Aug 1957 Malayasia (formerly Malaya) gains independence from Britain
- 01 Sep 1957 Excursion train crashed into a ravine killing 175, injuring 400
- 02 Sep 1957 1st edition newspaper the Ware Time (in Suriname), 1,700 die
- 03 Sep 1957 Dodgers play last game in Jersey City (11-4 in NJ)
- 04 Sep 1957 Governor of Arkansas, Orval Faubus, calls out National Guard to stop 9 black students from entering a Little Rock high school
- 05 Sep 1957 Cuban Dictator Batista bombs Cienfuegos uprising
- 06 Sep 1957 Elvis records White Xmas, Silent Night andHere Comes Santa Claus
- 07 Sep 1957 71st US Womens Tennis: Althea Gibson beats A Louise Brough (63 62)
- 08 Sep 1957 77th US Mens Tennis: M J Anderson beats Ashley J Cooper (108 75 64)
- 09 Sep 1957 Diana by Paul Anka reaches #1
- 10 Sep 1957 Mask & Gown opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 39 performances
- 12 Sep 1957 Archbishop Makarios of Cyprus visits US
- 14 Sep 1957 ''Have Gun, Will Travel'' premieres on CBS.
- 15 Sep 1957 Bachelor Father with John Forsythe premieres
- 16 Sep 1957 Coup in Thailand (Premier Songgram deposed)
- 17 Sep 1957 2 male attorneys stand in as actress Sophia Loren and producer Carlo Ponti wed by proxy in Juarez, Mexico
- 18 Sep 1957 Wagon Train premieres
- 19 Sep 1957 First underground nuclear explosion (Las Vegas, Nevada).
- 21 Sep 1957 Perry Mason with Raymond Burr premieres on CBS-TV
- 22 Sep 1957 Maverick premieres
- 23 Sep 1957 Milwaukee Braves clinch NL pennant by beating Cards 4-2
- 24 Sep 1957 Eisenhower orders US troops to desegregate Little Rock schools
- 25 Sep 1957 300 US Army troops guard nine black kids' return to Central High School in Arkansas.
- 26 Sep 1957 West Side Story opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 734 performances
- 27 Sep 1957 Giants rent Seals Stadium until Candlestick is built
- 28 Sep 1957 Dollar A Second, last airs on NBC-TV
- 29 Sep 1957 DuPont Show of the Month, debuts on CBS-TV
- 30 Sep 1957 French government of Mauroy, resigns due to Algeria
- 01 Oct 1957 B-52 bombers begin full-time flying alert in case of the USSR attack
- 02 Oct 1957 New volcanic island appears off Fayal Island Azores
- 03 Oct 1957 Willy Brandt elected Mayor of West Berlin
- 04 Oct 1957 Leave It to Beaver, debuts on CBS
- 05 Oct 1957 11th NHL All-Star Game: All-Stars beat Montreal 5-3 at Montreal
- 06 Oct 1957 Wiffi Smith wins LPGA United Voluntary Services Golf Open
- 07 Oct 1957 American Bandstand premieres
- 08 Oct 1957 Procter and Gamble-director N McElroy becomes US Minister of Defense
- 09 Oct 1957 U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower apologizes to the finance minister of Ghana, Komla Agbeli Gbdemah, after he is refused service in a Dover, Delaware restaurant.
- 10 Oct 1957 Accident at British nuclear reactor in Windsdale
- 11 Oct 1957 US Air Force Colonel Paul Irving "Pappy" Gunn is killed in the crash of a Twin Beech plane in the Philippines.
- 12 Oct 1957 Mask & Gown closes at John Golden Theater NYC after 39 performances
- 13 Oct 1957 German Democratic Republic recalls the East Mark and issues new currency.
- 14 Oct 1957 Queen Elizabeth II becomes the first Canadian Monarch to open up an annual session of the Canadian Parliament, presenting her Speech from the Throne in Ottawa, Canada.
- 15 Oct 1957 Giants trade Minneapolis franchise to Red Sox for SF Seals-franchises only, not the players
- 16 Oct 1957 Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip visits Williamsburg Virginia
- 17 Oct 1957 Copper & Brass opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 36 performances
- 19 Oct 1957 Damn Yankees closes at 46th St. Theater NYC after 1,022 performances
- 20 Oct 1957 Karachi A (277-0d) beat Sind A by an innings w / o losing a wkt
- 21 Oct 1957 Giants purchase Class-A Phoenix team
- 22 Oct 1957 Conrad Adenauer re-elected chancellor of West-Germany
- 23 Oct 1957 First test firing of Vanguard satellite launch vehicle, TV-3.
- 24 Oct 1957 Cin Redlegs decline to move to Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City
- 25 Oct 1957 Russian Minister of Defense Zjoekov deposed
- 26 Oct 1957 Vatican Radio begins broadcasting.
- 27 Oct 1957 Celal Bayar re-elected President of Turkey
- 28 Oct 1957 WMVS TV channel 10 in Milwaukee, WI (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 29 Oct 1957 Israel's prime minister David Ben Gurion and five of his ministers are injured when a hand grenade is tossed into Israel's parliament, the Knesset.
- 30 Oct 1957 Soviet Union launches, Sputnik II, carrying a dog named Laika
- 31 Oct 1957 Jamaica opens at Imperial Theater NYC for 558 performances
- 01 Nov 1957 KVII TV channel 7 in Amarillo, TX (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 02 Nov 1957 First titanium mill opened, Toronto, Ohio, USA.
- 03 Nov 1957 USSR launches Sputnik 2 with a dog (Laika), 1st animal in orbit
- 04 Nov 1957 2nd Soviet Earth-satellite launched
- 06 Nov 1957 Rumple opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 45 performances
- 07 Nov 1957 Phillies pitcher Jack Sanford wins NL Rookie of Year
- 08 Nov 1957 Great Britain performs atmospheric nuclear test at Christmas Island
- 11 Nov 1957 Demolition begins on cable car barn at California and Hyde (San Francisco)
- 14 Nov 1957 Dick Hutton beats Lou Thesz in Toronto, to become NWA wrestling champ
- 15 Nov 1957 US sentences Soviet spy Rudolf Ivanovich Abel to 30 years and US$3,000 fine.
- 16 Nov 1957 Copper & Brass closes at Martin Beck Theater NYC after 36 performances
- 17 Nov 1957 WBOY TV channel 12 in Clarksburg, WV (NBC / ABC) begins broadcasting
- 18 Nov 1957 Tunisia refuses Russian weapons
- 19 Nov 1957 Antonin Novotny appointed President of Czechoslovakia
- 22 Nov 1957 Miles Davis Quintet debuts a jazz concert at Carnegie Hall in New York
- 25 Nov 1957 US President Dwight Eisenhower suffers a mild stroke, impairing his speech.
- 26 Nov 1957 WCVB TV channel 5 in Boston, MA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 27 Nov 1957 Army withdraws for Little Rock Ark, after Central HS integration
- 28 Nov 1957 Look Homeward, Angel with Anthony Perkins premieres in New York City
- 29 Nov 1957 New York Mayor Robert Wagner forms a committee to replace Dodgers and Giants
- 30 Nov 1957 Happy Hunting closes at Majestic Theater NYC after 413 performances
- 01 Dec 1957 In Indonesia, Sukarno announces the nationalization of 246 Dutch businesses.
- 02 Dec 1957 1st US large scale nuclear power plant opens (Shippingport Penn)
- 03 Dec 1957 23rd Heisman Trophy Award: John Crow, Texas A&M (HB).
- 04 Dec 1957 The Lewisham train disaster in the UK leaves 92 dead.
- 05 Dec 1957 New York City becomes first city to legislate against racial or religious discrimination in housing market (Fair Housing Practices Law).
- 06 Dec 1957 AFL-CIO votes to expel Teamsters (readmitted in October 1987).
- 07 Dec 1957 Tony Kubek of the New York Yankees selected as American League Rookie of the Year.
- 10 Dec 1957 Canadian diplomat Lester B. Pearson receives the Nobel Peace Prize for his peackeeping efforts in the United Nations.
- 11 Dec 1957 Jerry Lee Lewis weds Myra
- 12 Dec 1957 US announces manufacture of Borazon (harder than diamond).
- 14 Dec 1957 Most Happy Fella closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 678 performances
- 16 Dec 1957 Sir Feroz Khan Noon replaces Ibrahim Ismail Chundrigar as Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- 17 Dec 1957 US successfully test-fires Atlas intercontinental ballistic missile.
- 18 Dec 1957 Shippingport Atomic Power Stn, 1st nuke plant to generate electricity
- 19 Dec 1957 Music Man opens at Majestic Theater NYC for 1375 performances
- 20 Dec 1957 Elvis Presley given draft notice to join US Army for National Service
- 21 Dec 1957 Indonesia proclaims end to state of war.
- 22 Dec 1957 KWRB (now KFNE) TV channel 10 in Lander-Riverton, WY (ABC) begins
- 25 Dec 1957 Ed Gein found insane of murder
- 29 Dec 1957 Singers Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme wed in Las Vegas
- 30 Dec 1957 Israeli government of Ben-Gurion resigns.
- 31 Dec 1957 Disneyland in Anaheim, California, welcomes its 10-millionth guest.