1966 was a hugely significant year in terms of scientific and cultural developments.
In the midst of the Space Race between the Soviet Union and the United States, some significant “firsts” were accomplished this year. The Soviet’s Luna 9 gave the world the first unmanned, controlled, rocket-assisted Moon landing. The United States responded with NASA’s Gemini 8 accomplishing the first docking in space. The Soviets came back with Luna 10, which was the first space probe to enter orbit around the Moon.
In television history, the first episode of Star Trek aired on NBC this year. The first episode was titled “The Man Trap.” In Britain, the careers of three prominent entertainers were introduced to television with The Frost Report. John Cleese, Ronnie Barker, and Ronnie Corbett all launched their careers with this show. 1966 was also the year that the animated classic, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, narrated by Boris Karloff, made its debut on CBS.
In addition to the great careers and franchises that were being built, other cultural icons were coming up as well. This was the year that the It’s a Small World attraction opened at Disneyland, Caesar’s Palace opened in Las Vegas, and construction began on the World Trade Center in New York City.
In a notable development in literature, Hunter S. Thompson’s Hell’s Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs was published this year. The success of this book launched the career of one of the most prominent writer’s of the 20th Century. Thompson would become most well known for his invention of an entirely new genre of literature: Gonzo Journalism.
Just as some icons were coming up in the world, others were on the way down. At Candlestick Park in San Francisco, California, the Beatles ended their US tour. This would be their last performance as a live, touring band. 1966 was also the year that Walt Disney passed away. He was still helping with Disney productions and The Jungle Book happened to be in production at the time. The Jungle Book, then, is the last animated film that Walt Disney himself had a hand in creating.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 39th edition of the Oscar ceremony
A Man for All Seasons
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1966?
Which were the most popular books released in 1966 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1966
- Shmuel Yosef Agnon
- Nelly Sachs
- Alfred Kastler
- Robert S. Mulliken
Physiology or Medicine
- Francis Peyton Rous
- Charles Brenton Huggins
Which were the top hits of 1966?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Monkees - Last Train To Clarksville
- ? (Question Mark) and the Mysterians - 96 Tears
- Barry Sadler - The Ballad Of The Green Berets
- The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love
- The Troggs - Wild Thing
- The Righteous Brothers - (You're My) Soul And Inspiration
- The Mamas & The Papas - Monday, Monday
- The New Vaudeville Band - Winchester Cathedral
- Donovan - Sunshine Superman
- The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
Top #1 songs in the UK
- The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
- Jim Reeves - Distant Drums
- The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black
- The Walker Brothers - The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
- Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
- The Beatles - Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby
- The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
- The Four Tops - Reach Out I'll Be There
- The Beatles - Paperback Writer
- Chris Farlowe - Out Of Time
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1966
- Total population: 3.4 billion (3,407,922,630 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.2 billion, that is 36.0% of the total population of 1966 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +68.5 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +2.05%
- Average density: 23.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1966?
- 01 Jan 1966 12 day transit worker strike shuts down NYC subway
- 02 Jan 1966 Green Bay Packers beat Cleveland Browns 23-12 in NFL championship game.
- 03 Jan 1966 Floyd B McKissick, named National Director of CORE
- 04 Jan 1966 WFLD TV channel 32 in Chicago, IL (IND) begins broadcasting
- 07 Jan 1966 Dance Theatre of Harlem debuts
- 08 Jan 1966 Who and the Kinks perform on the last Shindig TV show on ABC
- 09 Jan 1966 Polish government denies exit visa to Cardinal Wyszynski revisionism.
- 10 Jan 1966 India and Pakistan sign peace accord.
- 11 Jan 1966 Daktari African adventure series premieres on CBS TV
- 12 Jan 1966 Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward premieres on ABC TV
- 13 Jan 1966 1st black selected for Presidential Ccabinet (LBJ selects Robert C Weaver-HUD)
- 15 Jan 1966 AFL Pro Bowl: All-Stars beats Buffalo 30-19.
- 16 Jan 1966 Harold R Perry becomes 2nd black Roman Catholic Bishop in US
- 17 Jan 1966 B-52 / KC-135 tankers crash near Spanish coast at Palomares, 7 die
- 18 Jan 1966 Robert C Weaver, confirmed as 1st black cabinet member (HUD)
- 19 Jan 1966 Tippetts cantate Vision of St. Augustine, premieres in London
- 20 Jan 1966 Demonstrations occur against high food prices in Hungary.
- 21 Jan 1966 Italian Prime Minister Aldo Moro resigns due to a power struggle in his party.
- 24 Jan 1966 WDIO TV channel 10 in Duluth, MN (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 25 Jan 1966 WCMC (now WMGM) TV channel 40 in Wildwood, New Jersey (NBC) 1st broadcast
- 26 Jan 1966 Ard Schenk skates world record 1500m (2:06.2).
- 27 Jan 1966 The British government promises the U.S. that British troops in Malaysia will stay until more peaceful conditions occur in the region.
- 29 Jan 1966 Sweet Charity opens at Palace Theater NYC for 608 performances
- 30 Jan 1966 Dmitri Sjostakovitsj completes his 11th string quartet
- 31 Jan 1966 USSR launches Luna 9 towards Moon
- 01 Feb 1966 West Germany procures some 2,600 political prisoners from East Germany.
- 03 Feb 1966 1st soft landing on Moon (Soviet Luna 9)
- 04 Feb 1966 All-Nippon Airways 727 crashes off Haneda Airport, Japan; kills 133.
- 05 Feb 1966 BBC opens a relay radio station on Ascension Island.
- 07 Feb 1966 KWCM TV channel 10 in Appleton, MN (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 08 Feb 1966 The National Hockey League expands to twelve teams.
- 09 Feb 1966 Dow-Jones Index hits record 995 points
- 10 Feb 1966 Harmel government in Belgium resigns.
- 11 Feb 1966 The Belgian government resigns.
- 12 Feb 1966 Tay Vinh massacre: Vietnam War.
- 14 Feb 1966 Australia introduces 1st decimal currency postage stamps
- 15 Feb 1966 Kees Verkerk becomes world champion all-round skater.
- 16 Feb 1966 Bob Cowper makes 307 versus England at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, 727 minute s, 20 fours.
- 17 Feb 1966 French satellite Diapason D-1A launch into Earth orbit
- 19 Feb 1966 The naval minister of the United Kingdom, Christopher Mayhew, resigns.
- 20 Feb 1966 Author Valery Tarsis banished in the USSR
- 22 Feb 1966 Soviets launch Kosmos 110 with Veterok and Ugolek, 1st 2-dog crew
- 23 Feb 1966 Premier Obote grabs power in Uganda.
- 24 Feb 1966 Coup ousts President Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana.
- 25 Feb 1966 Syrian military coup under Hafiz al-Assad
- 26 Feb 1966 KBIM TV channel 10 in Roswell, NM (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 27 Feb 1966 Ice Dance Championship at Davos won by Diane Towler/Bernard Ford (Great Britain).
- 28 Feb 1966 Cavern Club (Beatles hangout) in Liverpool closes
- 01 Mar 1966 Venera 3 becomes 1st man-made object to impact on a planet (Venus)
- 02 Mar 1966 215,000 US soldiers in Vietnam
- 03 Mar 1966 WRFT (now WVFT) TV channel 27 in Roanoke, VA (IND) begins broadcasting
- 04 Mar 1966 North Sea Gas is first pumped ashore by British Petroleum.
- 05 Mar 1966 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 07 Mar 1966 Wait A Minim! opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 457 performances
- 08 Mar 1966 Golden Boy closes at Majestic Theater NYC after 569 performances
- 09 Mar 1966 Andrew Brimmer becomes 1st black Governor of Federal Reserve Board
- 10 Mar 1966 North Vietnamese capture US Green Beret Camp at Ashau Valley.
- 11 Mar 1966 Military coup led by Indonesian General Suharto breaks out.
- 12 Mar 1966 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 13 Mar 1966 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Lagunita Golf Invitational.
- 15 Mar 1966 8th Grammy Awards: "Taste of Honey", Tom Jones, Frank Sintra, and Barbra Streisand.
- 16 Mar 1966 Gemini 8 launched with Armstrong and Scott; aborted after 6.5 orbits.
- 17 Mar 1966 South Africa government bans Defense and Aid Fund.
- 18 Mar 1966 Pousse Cafe opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 3 performances
- 19 Mar 1966 Pousse Cafe closes at 46th St. Theater NYC after 3 performances
- 20 Mar 1966 The World Cup Trophy (the quotJules Rimetquot) is stolen at an exhibition it is later found by a dog named quotPicklesquot and his owner David Corbett.
- 21 Mar 1966 US Supreme Court reverses Massachusetts' ruling that film Fanny Hill is obscene.
- 22 Mar 1966 In Washington, D.C., General Motors President James M. Roche appears before a Senate subcommittee, and apologizes to consumer advocate Ralph Nader for the company's intimidation and harassment campaign against him.
- 23 Mar 1966 Pope Paul VI and Arthur Michael Ramsey, the Archbishop of Canterbury, meet in Rome.
- 24 Mar 1966 US Selective Service announces college deferments based on performance.
- 25 Mar 1966 Beatles pose with mutilated dolls and butchered meat for the cover of the Yesterday and Today album, It is later pulled
- 26 Mar 1966 Demonstrations are held across the United States against the Vietnam War.
- 27 Mar 1966 Marilynn Smith wins LPGA Louise Suggs Delray Beach Golf Invitational.
- 29 Mar 1966 The 23rd Communist Party Conference is held in the Soviet Union Leonid Brezhnev demands that U.S. troops leave Vietnam, and announces that Chinese-Soviet relations are not satisfying.
- 30 Mar 1966 Barbra Streisand stars on Color Me Barbra special on CBS
- 31 Mar 1966 USSR launches Luna 10, 1st lunar orbiter
- 01 Apr 1966 China premier Tsjoe en-Lai starts "Cultural revolution".
- 02 Apr 1966 WJET TV channel 24 in Erie, PA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 03 Apr 1966 Luna 10 orbits Moon
- 04 Apr 1966 Pirate Radio Scotland changes name to Radio Ireland
- 05 Apr 1966 WTVX TV channel 34 in Ft Pierce-Vero Beach, Florida (IND) 1st broadcast
- 06 Apr 1966 Mihir Sen swims the Palk Strait between Sri Lanka and India.
- 07 Apr 1966 US recovers lost H-bomb from Mediterranean floor (whoops!)
- 08 Apr 1966 OAO 1, 1st orbiting astronomical observatory, launched
- 09 Apr 1966 Sophia Loren marries married Carlo Ponti in Paris
- 11 Apr 1966 Emmett Ashford becomes 1st black major league umpire
- 12 Apr 1966 Rocker Jan Berry crashes his corvette into a parked truck
- 13 Apr 1966 Pan Am places US$525 million order for 25 Boeing 747s.
- 14 Apr 1966 The South Vietnamese government promises free elections in 3–5 months.
- 15 Apr 1966 KHET TV channel 11 in Honolulu, HI (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 16 Apr 1966 Rhodesian Prime Minister Ian Smith breaks diplomatic relations with Britain.
- 17 Apr 1966 Carol Mann wins LPGA Raleigh Ladies Golf Invitational.
- 18 Apr 1966 Bill Russell became 1st black coach in NBA history (Boston Celtics)
- 19 Apr 1966 Roberta Bignay becomes 1st woman to run in the Boston Marathon
- 20 Apr 1966 WDCA TV channel 20 in Washington, DC (IND) begins broadcasting
- 21 Apr 1966 Rastafari movement: Haile Selassie of Ethiopia visits Jamaica, an event now celebrated as Grounation Day.
- 22 Apr 1966 Atlanta Braves win their first game, beating New York Mets 8-4.
- 24 Apr 1966 Carol Mann wins LPGA Peach Blossom Golf Invitational.
- 25 Apr 1966 Drunk driver kills ten children in Asse, Belgium.
- 26 Apr 1966 An earthquake of magnitude 7.5 destroys Tashkent.
- 27 Apr 1966 Dmitri Shostakovitch completes his 2nd cello concert
- 28 Apr 1966 38th Academy Awards - The Sound of Music, Julie Christie and Lee Marvin win.
- 29 Apr 1966 U.S. troops in Vietnam total 250,000.
- 30 Apr 1966 The Church of Satan is established at the Black House in San Francisco, California.
- 01 May 1966 US troops shooting targets in Cambodia.
- 02 May 1966 Pulitzer prize awarded Arthur M Schlesinger Jr (Thousand Days)
- 03 May 1966 WDHO (now WNWO) TV channel 24 in Toledo, OH (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 04 May 1966 Soviet government signs accord about building Fiat factory in the USSR
- 05 May 1966 Borussia Dortmund wins 6th Europe Cup II.
- 06 May 1966 Canadian Minister of Finance announces a $20 Centennial gold coin
- 07 May 1966 92nd Kentucky Derby: Donald Brumfield aboard Kauai King wins in 2:02.
- 08 May 1966 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Tall City Golf Open.
- 09 May 1966 1st black member of Federal Reserve Board (A F Brimmer)
- 11 May 1966 Real Madrid wins 11th Europe Cup I.
- 13 May 1966 US Federal education funding is denied to 12 school districts in the South because of violations of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
- 14 May 1966 1st reported monitoring of pirate radio station WBBH (NJ)
- 15 May 1966 Clifford Ann Creed wins LPGA Dallas Civitan Golf Invitational.
- 16 May 1966 Stokely Carmichael named Chairman of Student Nonviolent Coordinating
- 17 May 1966 KFDO (now KVIJ) TV channel 8 in Sayre, OK (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 19 May 1966 Gertrude Baniszewski is found guilty of murdering and torturing Sylvia Likens and is sentenced to life in prison. (she is released on parole in December 1985).
- 21 May 1966 Downtown by Mrs Miller hits #82
- 22 May 1966 18th Emmy Awards: Fugitive, Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore
- 23 May 1966 Beatles release Paperback Writer
- 24 May 1966 Mame opens at Winter Garden Theater in New York City for 1508 performances.
- 25 May 1966 Peru and Argentina soccer fans fight in Lima, Peru; 248 die.
- 26 May 1966 Buddhist sets self on fire at US consulate in HuT South-Vietnam.
- 27 May 1966 55th German F-16 Starfighter crashes.
- 28 May 1966 Ballad Of Irving by Frank Gallop hits #34
- 29 May 1966 Carol Mann wins LPGA Baton Rouge Ladies Golf Invitational.
- 30 May 1966 US launches Surveyor 1 to the Moon.
- 31 May 1966 The Philippines reestablishes diplomatic relations with Malaysia.
- 01 Jun 1966 Joaquin Balaguer elected President of Dominican Republic
- 02 Jun 1966 US Surveyor 1 lands in Oceanus Procellarum; 1st lunar soft-landing
- 03 Jun 1966 European DX Council forms in Copenhagen (shortwave listeners)
- 04 Jun 1966 Batman & His Grandmother by Dickie Goodman hits #70
- 05 Jun 1966 Cin Red Leo Cardenas hits 4 HRs in a doubleheader
- 06 Jun 1966 Activist James Meredith wounded by white sniper in Mississippi
- 07 Jun 1966 New York Mets pass up Reggie Jackson to draft Steve Chilcott #1
- 08 Jun 1966 NFL and AFL announce plans to become NFC and AFC in 1970.
- 10 Jun 1966 Beatles record Rain, 1st to use reverse tapes
- 11 Jun 1966 I Am A Rock by Simon and Garfunkel peaks at #3
- 12 Jun 1966 Dave Clark 5 set record as they appear for 12th time on Ed Sullivan
- 13 Jun 1966 The US Supreme Court hands down its decision in Miranda v. Arizona, establishing the principle that all criminal suspects must be advised of their rights before interrogation. The adopted text: "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can, and will, be used against you in court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to you."
- 14 Jun 1966 Dutch police beat construction workers, 60 injured
- 16 Jun 1966 Rowan & Martin Show, debuts on NBC-TV
- 17 Jun 1966 An Air France personnel strike begins.
- 18 Jun 1966 CIA chief William Raborn resigns Richard Helms becomes his successor.
- 19 Jun 1966 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Milwaukee Jaycee Golf Open
- 20 Jun 1966 66th US Golf Open: Billy Casper shoots a 278 at Olympic Country Club - San Francisco
- 21 Jun 1966 Queen Juliana opens Coen tunnel in Amsterdam
- 24 Jun 1966 Period of relative peace following WWII exceeds that following WWI
- 25 Jun 1966 Kosmos 122, 1st Soviet weather satellite, launched
- 26 Jun 1966 Time for Singing closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 41 performances
- 27 Jun 1966 1st sci-fi soap opera, Dark Shadows, premieres on ABC-TV
- 28 Jun 1966 Ernie Terrel beats Doug Jones in 15 wba for heavyweight boxing title
- 29 Jun 1966 In the Vietnam War, US planes bombed Hanoi and Haiphong for 1st time
- 30 Jun 1966 Beatles land in Tokyo for a concert tour
- 01 Jul 1966 80th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: M Santana beats D Ralston (64 11-9 64)
- 02 Jul 1966 1st France nuclear explosion on Mururoa atoll
- 03 Jul 1966 Brave pitcher Tony Cloninger, is 1st NL to hit 2 grand slams in a game
- 04 Jul 1966 Beatles attacked in Philippines after insulting Imelda Marcos
- 05 Jul 1966 New York City transit fare rises from 15 cents to 20 cents
- 06 Jul 1966 Malawi becomes a republic, with Hastings Banda as its first President.
- 07 Jul 1966 A Warsaw Pact conference ends with a promise to support North Vietnam.
- 08 Jul 1966 US airline strike (until August 19th)
- 09 Jul 1966 95th British Golf Open: Jack Nicklaus shoots 282 at Muirfield Gullane
- 10 Jul 1966 Sandra Haynie wins LPGA Buckeye Savings Golf Invitational
- 11 Jul 1966 The 1966 FIFA World Cup begins in England.
- 12 Jul 1966 10.51 (26.70 cm) of rainfall, Sandusky Ohio (state record)
- 13 Jul 1966 Richard Speck, murders 8 nurses in Chicago
- 14 Jul 1966 Richard Speck rapes and kills 8 nurses in a Chicago dormitory
- 16 Jul 1966 Half a Sixpence closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 512 performances
- 17 Jul 1966 Clifford Ann Creed wins LPGA Lady Carling Golf Open
- 18 Jul 1966 Carl Sagan turns 1 billion seconds old
- 19 Jul 1966 50 year old Frank Sinatra marries 21 year old Mia Farrow in Las Vegas
- 21 Jul 1966 Gemini X returns to Earth.
- 23 Jul 1966 Cavern Club in Liverpool reopens
- 24 Jul 1966 48th PGA Championship: Al Geiberger shoots a 280 at Firestone Country Club - Akron
- 25 Jul 1966 Brian Jones final perfomance as a Rolling Stone
- 26 Jul 1966 WRLH TV channel 31 in Lebanon, NH (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 28 Jul 1966 The U.S. announces that a Lockheed U-2 reconnaissance plane has disappeared over Cuba.
- 29 Jul 1966 Bob Dylan hurt in motorcycle accident near Woodstock, New York
- 30 Jul 1966 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Supertest Ladies Golf Open
- 31 Jul 1966 Charles Whitman wounds 46 and kills 5 at University of Texas
- 01 Aug 1966 Former marine Charles Whitman kills 13 andwounds 31 at University of Texas
- 02 Aug 1966 Radio Vila (New Hebrides) begins transmitting
- 03 Aug 1966 S African government bans Beatle records
- 05 Aug 1966 33rd NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Green Bay 38, All-Stars 0 (72,000)
- 06 Aug 1966 Heavyweight Cassius Clay KOs Brian London
- 07 Aug 1966 Race riots occur in Lansing, Michigan.
- 10 Aug 1966 First lunar orbiter launched by US.
- 11 Aug 1966 Last Beatle concert tour of US begins
- 12 Aug 1966 The General Services Administration turns the New Orleans Mint over to the state of Louisiana.
- 14 Aug 1966 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Lady Carling Golf Open
- 15 Aug 1966 Radio Free Asia (South Korea) begins radio transmission.
- 16 Aug 1966 Vietnam War: The House Un-American Activities Committee begins investigations of Americans who have aided the Viet Cong. The committee intends to introduce legislation making these activities illegal. Anti-war demonstrators disrupt the meeting and 50 people are arrested.
- 17 Aug 1966 Pioneer 7 launched into solar orbit.
- 18 Aug 1966 Vietnam War: the Battle of Long Tan occurs, when a patrol of 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment encounter the Viet Cong.
- 19 Aug 1966 Earthquake strikes Varko Turkey: 2,400 killed
- 20 Aug 1966 Beatles pelted with rotten fruit during Memphis concert
- 21 Aug 1966 Seven men are sentenced to death in Egypt, for anti-Nasser agitation.
- 22 Aug 1966 Beatles arrive in New York City
- 23 Aug 1966 Lunar Orbiter 1 takes the first photograph of Earth from orbit around the Moon.
- 24 Aug 1966 USSR launches Luna 11 for orbit around Moon
- 26 Aug 1966 Baltimore Orioles Roznovsky and B Powell are 4th to hit consecutive pinch HRs
- 27 Aug 1966 Oakland Pitcher Paul Lindblad begins a 385 cons errorless streak
- 28 Aug 1966 Sandra Haynie wins LPGA Glass City Golf Classic
- 29 Aug 1966 Beatles last public concert (Candlestick Park, San Francisco)
- 30 Aug 1966 France offers independence to French Somaliland.
- 31 Aug 1966 Referee Leo Horn whistles his last soccer match (Ajax-Bulgaria)
- 01 Sep 1966 KIFW (now KTNL) TV channel 13 in Sitka, AK (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 03 Sep 1966 24th World SF Convention honors Gene Roddenberry
- 04 Sep 1966 Jim Hogan wins Europe marathon (2:20:04.6)
- 05 Sep 1966 WRLK TV channel 35 in Columbia, SC (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 06 Sep 1966 Race riot in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 07 Sep 1966 KTNE TV channel 13 in Alliance, NB (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 08 Sep 1966 That Girl starring Marlo Thomas premieres on ABC-TV
- 09 Sep 1966 The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act is signed into law by U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson.
- 10 Sep 1966 Muhammad Ali TKOs Karl Mildenberger in 12 for heavyweight boxing title
- 11 Sep 1966 80th US Womens Tennis: M Esther Bueno-Fraiser beats N Richey (63 61)
- 12 Sep 1966 Monkees premieres on NBC-TV
- 13 Sep 1966 Johannes Balthazar Vorster sworn in as Premier of South Africa
- 15 Sep 1966 1st British nuclear sub HMS Resolution launched
- 16 Sep 1966 Metropolitan Opera opens at New York's Lincoln Center.
- 17 Sep 1966 Cleveland pitchers set AL record striking out 19 batters in 1st 9 innings
- 18 Sep 1966 Mickey Wright wins LPGA Shirley Englehorn Golf Invitational
- 19 Sep 1966 Mike Burke is named New York Yankees president.
- 20 Sep 1966 Passenger ship Queen Elizabeth II launched
- 21 Sep 1966 5 of rain falls on New York City
- 22 Sep 1966 KMEB TV channel 10 in Wailuku, HI (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 25 Sep 1966 12th LPGA Championship won by Gloria Ehret
- 26 Sep 1966 Staten Island, 1st icebreaker to enter SF bay
- 29 Sep 1966 Bechuanaland gains independence from England, becomes Botswana
- 30 Sep 1966 Botswana (Bechuanaland) gains independence from Britain (National Day)
- 01 Oct 1966 Newspaper magnate Thomson purchases The Times
- 02 Oct 1966 LA Dodgers Sandy Koufax clinches 3rd LA pennant in 4 years
- 03 Oct 1966 Marshal Arturo da Costa e Silva elected President
- 04 Oct 1966 Dutch Cardinal Alfrink presents New Catechism
- 05 Oct 1966 Near Detroit, Michigan, there is a partial core meltdown at the Enrico Fermi demonstration nuclear breeder reactor.
- 06 Oct 1966 Oriole Jim Palmer, 20, is youngest to pitch a World Series shutout
- 07 Oct 1966 The Soviet Union declares that all Chinese students must leave the country before the end of October.
- 09 Oct 1966 John Lennon meets Yoko Ono at a London art gallery
- 11 Oct 1966 France and the Soviet Union sign a treaty for cooperation in nuclear research.
- 12 Oct 1966 Jimi Henrix Experience fors with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell
- 13 Oct 1966 Vice Admiral Rufus L Taylor, USN, becomes Deputy Director of CIA
- 14 Oct 1966 Dutch government of Cals falls by motion of Schmelzer
- 15 Oct 1966 LBJ signs a bill creating Department of Transportation (DOT)
- 16 Oct 1966 Joean Baez and 123 other ani-draft protestors arrested in Oakland
- 17 Oct 1966 A fire at a building in New York, New York kills 12 firefighters, the New York City Fire Department's deadliest day until the September 11, 2001 attacks.
- 18 Oct 1966 Apple Tree opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 463 performances
- 19 Oct 1966 Yardbird 1st US tour (NYC)
- 21 Oct 1966 144 die as a coal waste landslide engulfed a school in Aberfan S Wales
- 22 Oct 1966 USSR launches Luna 12 for orbit around Moon
- 23 Oct 1966 Sandra Spuzich / Jack Rule wins Haig and Haig Scotch Mixed Foursome Golf
- 24 Oct 1966 Negotiations about the Vietnam War begin in Manila, Philippines.
- 25 Oct 1966 6 youths sentenced in Johnson murderer! in Amsterdam
- 26 Oct 1966 US aircraft carrier Oriskany catches fire at Gulf on Tonken, 43 die
- 27 Oct 1966 UN deprives South Africa of Namibia
- 29 Oct 1966 National Organization For Women is founded.
- 30 Oct 1966 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Las Cruces Ladies Golf Open
- 01 Nov 1966 Sandy Koufax becomes 1st 3-time Cy Young Award winner
- 02 Nov 1966 KHSD TV channel 11 in Lead, SD (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 04 Nov 1966 Flooding of Arno River (Italy) destroys countless art works, kills 113
- 05 Nov 1966 Brigham Young QB Virgil Carter sets NCAA record of 599 yards gained
- 06 Nov 1966 First entire lineup televised in color (NBC).
- 07 Nov 1966 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Titleholders Golf Championship
- 08 Nov 1966 Edward W Brooke (Rep-R-Mass) becomes 1st black elected to Senate
- 09 Nov 1966 Oakland Coliseum Arena opens
- 10 Nov 1966 Jack Lynch becomes Irish Premier
- 11 Nov 1966 Gemini 12 (Lovell & Aldrin) launched on 4-day flight
- 12 Nov 1966 Dick The Bruiser beats Mad Dog Vachon in Omaha, to become NWA champ
- 14 Nov 1966 Muhammad Ali TKOs Cleveland Williams in 3 for heavyweight title
- 15 Nov 1966 Gemini XII (Lovell / Aldrin) returns to Earth
- 16 Nov 1966 Dr Sam Sheppard freed after 9 years in jail, by a jury
- 17 Nov 1966 Leonids meteor shower peaks (150,000+ per hour).
- 18 Nov 1966 Sandy Koufax announces his retirement, due to arthritic left elbow
- 19 Nov 1966 Mad Dog Vachon beats Dick The Bruiser in Omaha, to become NWA champ
- 20 Nov 1966 Cabaret opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 1166 performances
- 21 Nov 1966 Dutch government of Zijlstra forms
- 22 Nov 1966 32nd Heisman Trophy Award: Steve Spurrier, Florida (QB)
- 23 Nov 1966 Chicago outfielder Tommie Agee is voted AL Rookie of Year
- 24 Nov 1966 The Beatles began recording sessions for Sgt Pepper
- 25 Nov 1966 Cincinnati infielder Tommy Helms is voted NL Rookie of Year
- 26 Nov 1966 Walking Happy opens at Lunt Fontanne Theater NYC for 161 performances
- 27 Nov 1966 Uruguay adopts constitution
- 28 Nov 1966 Dominican Republic adopts constitution
- 29 Nov 1966 1st NBA game at Oakland Coliseum Arena - Warriors beat Bulls 108-101
- 30 Nov 1966 Barbados gains independence from Britain (National Day)
- 01 Dec 1966 Radio time signal WWV moves from Greenbelt, Maryland to Boulder, Colorado
- 02 Dec 1966 Love, Moby Grape and Lee Michaels perform at Fillmore East
- 03 Dec 1966 Anti-Portuguese demonstrations occur in Macau a curfew is declared the next day.
- 04 Dec 1966 KETS TV channel 2 in Little Rock, AR (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 05 Dec 1966 I Do! I Do! opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 561 performances
- 06 Dec 1966 Polio vaccination becomes obligatory in Belgium.
- 08 Dec 1966 US and the USSR sign treaty to prohibit nuclear weapons in outer space
- 09 Dec 1966 Barbados joins the United Nations.
- 10 Dec 1966 Israeli Shmuel Yosef Agnon wins Nobel Prize for literature.
- 11 Dec 1966 Al Nelson sets NFL record returning missed field goal, 100 yards.
- 12 Dec 1966 US Supreme Court votes 4-3 allowing Braves baseball team to move to Atlanta.
- 13 Dec 1966 1st battle for Bijlmer flats Amsterdam
- 15 Dec 1966 Joyful Noise opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 16 Dec 1966 Beatles release Everywhere its Christmas in the UK
- 17 Dec 1966 South Africa does not join the trade embargo against Rhodesia.
- 18 Dec 1966 Saturn's moon Epimetheus is discovered by Richard L. Walker.
- 19 Dec 1966 ADB operations begin.
- 20 Dec 1966 Nuclear Planning Group forms in Brussels
- 21 Dec 1966 USSR launches Luna 13; soft-landed in Oceanus Procellarum
- 22 Dec 1966 WCVW TV channel 57 in Richmond, VA (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 23 Dec 1966 Britains rock TV show, Ready Steady Go, last program
- 24 Dec 1966 Joyful Noise closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 12 performances
- 26 Dec 1966 The first Kwanzaa is celebrated by Maulana Karenga, the chair of Black Studies at California State University, Long Beach.
- 27 Dec 1966 At the Drop of Another Hat opens at Booth Theater NYC for 105 performances
- 28 Dec 1966 Thirteen die in a train crash in Everett, Massachusetts, USA.
- 29 Dec 1966 Pirate Radio Phoenix, 1st transmission (Worcester, Massachusetts)
- 31 Dec 1966 Pirate Radio 390 (Radio Invicata) off England, resumes transmitting