In addition to marking the passage between the 1960s and 1970s, the year 1969 also saw the presidential torch pass from President Lyndon Johnson to Richard Nixon.
The newly-minted President, along with other world leaders, claimed jurisdiction over a world population estimated at 3.6 billion people. The most popular names that year were Michael, for boys, and Lisa, for girls. Included amongst all these newborns were rappers, R. Kelly and Puff Daddy; drummer, Dave Crohl; and actresses, Jennifer Anniston and Renee Zelleger. Sadly, as we all know, life finds its balance in death. In these 12 short months, the world lost Dwight Eisenhower, Judy Garland, Rocky Marciano, and Ho Chi Minh.
Those sitting down for a moving picture had a chance to see True Grit, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and The Wild Bunch. For the more academically-inclined, popular novel choices included Slaughterhouse-Five, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and The Andromeda Strain. Keep skimming to find out how this year changed computers and helped open the world’s eyes to a new frontier.
Some notable firsts in 1969, aside from the July 20th lunar landing, included the first test flight of a supersonic jetliner, the first successful eye transplant, the first Woodstock festival, and the opening of the first Wendy’s Hamburgers.
Science helped open the way to the lunar module, laser printer, Taser, and mousepad. In addition to seeing the first man on the moon, this year also witnessed hard-pressed US forces capture Hamburger Hill. Shortly after that, those same troops began to withdraw from Vietnam.
The year 1969 also saw the US withdraw the 500, 1000, 5000, and 10,000 dollar bills from circulation and ended the Supreme Court ban on “obscene materials”. Lastly, for all the children of the world, this year gave two two notable gifts: Sesame Street and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Regardless of whether you scrutinize the moon landing for hoaxes, or recently travelled across the country in a Boeing 747, the year 1969 helped make it all possible.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 42nd edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1969?
Which were the most popular books released in 1969 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1969
- International Labour Organization
- Samuel Beckett
- Murray Gell-Mann
- Ragnar Frisch
- Jan Tinbergen
- Derek Barton
- Odd Hassel
Physiology or Medicine
- Max Delbrück
- Alfred Hershey
- Salvador Luria
Which were the top hits of 1969?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Archies - Sugar, Sugar
- The Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women
- The 5th Dimension - Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures)
- The Temptations - I Can't Get Next To You
- Tommy James and the Shondells - Crimson And Clover
- Zager & Evans - In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus)
- Tommy Roe - Dizzy
- The Beatles - Come Together
- Sly & the Family Stone - Everyday People
- The Beatles - Get Back
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Archies - Sugar Sugar
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
- Peter Sarstedt - Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)
- Fleetwood Mac - Albatross
- Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- Dean Martin - Gentle On My Mind
- Mary Hopkin - Goodbye
- Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg - Je T'Aime... Moi Non Plus
- Beatles With Billy Preston - Get Back
- Plastic Ono Band - Give Peace A Chance
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1969
- Total population: 3.6 billion (3,625,680,627 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.3 billion, that is 36.0% of the total population of 1969 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +74.2 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +2.09%
- Average density: 24.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1969?
- 02 Jan 1969 Fig Leaves Are Falling opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 4 performances
- 03 Jan 1969 Rep Adam Clayton Powell Jr seated by Congress
- 04 Jan 1969 Fig Leaves Are Falling closes at Broadhurst NYC after 4 performances
- 05 Jan 1969 Maggie Flynn closes at ANTA Theater NYC after 82 performances
- 06 Jan 1969 WLIW TV channel 21 in Garden City, New York (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 07 Jan 1969 US Congress doubles Presidential salary.
- 09 Jan 1969 1st trial flight of Concorde
- 10 Jan 1969 Pirate Radio Station Free Derby begins operation by Northern Ireland
- 11 Jan 1969 Hooked on a Feeling by BJ Thomas peaks at #5
- 12 Jan 1969 Golden Rainbow closes at Shubert Theater NYC after 355 performances
- 13 Jan 1969 Beatles release Yellow Submarine album
- 14 Jan 1969 25 members of US aircraft carrier Enterprise die during maneuvers.
- 15 Jan 1969 Soyuz 5 launched by Soviet Union
- 16 Jan 1969 Soviet Soyuz 4 and Soyuz 5 perform 1st transfer of crew in space
- 17 Jan 1969 Beatles release Yellow Submarine album in the UK
- 18 Jan 1969 Expanded four-party Vietnam peace talks begin in Paris, France.
- 19 Jan 1969 AFL Pro Bowl: West beats East 38-25.
- 20 Jan 1969 University of Arizona reports first optical identification of pulsar (in Crab Nebula).
- 21 Jan 1969 22nd NHL All-Star Game: West beat East 3-3 at MontrTal, Quebec, Canada.
- 22 Jan 1969 Celebration opens at Ambassador Theater NYC for 110 performances
- 23 Jan 1969 Cream releases their last album Goodbye
- 24 Jan 1969 Queen Juliana is appointed honorary citizen of Addis Ababa.
- 25 Jan 1969 US-North Vietnamese peace talks begin in Paris, France.
- 26 Jan 1969 Red, White, and Maddox opens at Cort Theater NYC for 41 performances
- 27 Jan 1969 14 spies hung in Baghdad
- 28 Jan 1969 Barbara Jo Rubin becomes 1st woman jockey to win in North America
- 29 Jan 1969 Sheahan and Connolly hang on for exciting draw Australia versus West Indies.
- 30 Jan 1969 Beatles perform their last gig together, a free concert
- 31 Jan 1969 Beatles perform last live gig (42-min concert on roof of Apple HQs)
- 01 Feb 1969 Jim Morrison arrested for exposing himself in concert
- 02 Feb 1969 KMST TV channel 46 in Monterey-Salinas, CA (CBS) begins broadcasting
- 03 Feb 1969 The Palestine National Congress appoints Yasser Arafat head of Palestinian Liberation Organization.
- 04 Feb 1969 41,163, then largest NBA crowd, watches doubleheader Cin-Det, SD-Bost
- 05 Feb 1969 Turn-On, debuts and cancelled by ABC after flopping so badly
- 06 Feb 1969 Dear World opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 132 performances
- 07 Feb 1969 This Is Tom Jones, debuts on ABC TV
- 08 Feb 1969 Last edition of Saturday Evening Post.
- 09 Feb 1969 Boeing 747 made its 1st commercial flight
- 10 Feb 1969 LSU Pete Maravich scores 66, despite losing to Tulane 101-94.
- 11 Feb 1969 Diana Crump becomes first US woman jockey to ride against men, Hialelah.
- 13 Feb 1969 Suriname government of Pengel resigns.
- 14 Feb 1969 Vito Genovese, US mafia chief, dies at age 71.
- 17 Feb 1969 Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash record an album (never released).
- 18 Feb 1969 PLO-attack El-Al plane in Zurich Switzerland
- 19 Feb 1969 1st Test flight of Boeing 747 jumbo jet
- 21 Feb 1969 Ted Williams signs five-year contract to manage Washington Senators.
- 22 Feb 1969 Barbara Jo Rubin wins a United States thoroughbred horse race making history as the first woman to do so.
- 23 Feb 1969 WWVU (now WNPB) TV channel 24 in Morgantown, WV (PBS) 1st broadcast
- 24 Feb 1969 Mariner 6 launched for Mars flyby
- 25 Feb 1969 Beatles begin recording Abbey Road album
- 27 Feb 1969 US President Richard Nixon visits West Berlin.
- 28 Feb 1969 Ladies Figure Skating Champion in Colorado Springs won by Gabriele Seyfert, German Democratic Republic.
- 01 Mar 1969 Red, White, and Maddox closes at Cort Theater NYC after 41 performances
- 02 Mar 1969 Chinese-Russian borders fight (approximately 70 die).
- 03 Mar 1969 Apollo program: NASA launches Apollo 9 to test the lunar module.
- 05 Mar 1969 Gustav Heinemann elected President of West Germany.
- 08 Mar 1969 Marriage of 12 year old Marcella Rosciglione in Palermo
- 10 Mar 1969 James Earl Ray pleads guilty in murder of Martin Luther King Jr.
- 12 Mar 1969 11th Grammy Awards: "Mrs Robinson", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" win.
- 13 Mar 1969 Apollo 9 returns to Earth.
- 14 Mar 1969 Barbara Jo Rubin becomes 1st woman jockey to win at Aqueduct
- 15 Mar 1969 US Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas resigns.
- 16 Mar 1969 1776 opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 1217 performances
- 17 Mar 1969 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Orange Blossom Golf Open.
- 18 Mar 1969 Come Summer opens at Lunt Fontanne Theater NYC for 7 performances
- 19 Mar 1969 Chicago 8 indicted in aftermath of Chicago Democratic convention.
- 20 Mar 1969 US President Richard Nixon proclaims he will end Vietnam war in 1970.
- 21 Mar 1969 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 22 Mar 1969 Billy opens and closes at Billy Rose Theater NYC after 1 performance
- 23 Mar 1969 Rally for Decency held in Miami, Florida.
- 25 Mar 1969 Andes Pact signed in Peru.
- 26 Mar 1969 Marcus Welby MD, a TV movie is shown on ABC-TV
- 27 Mar 1969 Launch of Mariner 7, flies 2,190-mi above southern Mars
- 28 Mar 1969 Pope Paul VI names JGM Willebrands Cardinal
- 29 Mar 1969 The Eurovision Song Contest 1969 is held in Madrid, and results in four co-winners, with 18 votes each, from Spain, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and France.
- 30 Mar 1969 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Port Malabar Golf Invitational.
- 01 Apr 1969 Seattle Pilots trade minor league outfielder Lou Piniella to Kansas City Royals.
- 02 Apr 1969 Milwaukee Bucks sign Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Lew Alcindor).
- 04 Apr 1969 Dr. Denton Cooley implants the first temporary artificial heart.
- 07 Apr 1969 Ted Williams begins managing Washington Senators, they lose to New York Yankees 8-4.
- 08 Apr 1969 Expansion teams Royals, Expos, Padres and Pilots win their 1st games
- 09 Apr 1969 Chicago Cubs' Billy Williams hits four consecutive doubles, beat Philadelphis Phillies 11-3.
- 11 Apr 1969 South African President Frederik de Klerk marries Marike Willemse.
- 12 Apr 1969 Simon and Garfunkel releases Boxer
- 13 Apr 1969 33rd Golf Masters Championship: George Archer wins, shooting a 281.
- 14 Apr 1969 41st Academy Awards - Oliver, Cliff Robertson, and Katharine Hepburn/ Barbra Streisand win.
- 15 Apr 1969 North Korea shoots at US airplane above Japanese sea.
- 17 Apr 1969 Bernadette Devlin elected to British House of Commons.
- 18 Apr 1969 Melina Mercouri establishes Greek Aid Fund
- 20 Apr 1969 23rd Tony Awards: Great White Hope and 1776 win.
- 21 Apr 1969 73rd Boston Marathon won by Yoshiaki Unetani of Japan in 2:13:49.
- 22 Apr 1969 Robin Knox-Johnston ends 312-day non-stop sailing.
- 23 Apr 1969 ABC Masters Bowling Tournament won by Jim Chestney.
- 24 Apr 1969 Gen Lin Piao succeeds Mao, is seriously wounded
- 25 Apr 1969 BBC Radio serial Dales 5,400th and last episode
- 26 Apr 1969 Celebration closes at Ambassador Theater NYC after 110 performances
- 27 Apr 1969 Carol Mann wins LPGA Raleigh Ladies Golf Invitational.
- 28 Apr 1969 Charles de Gaulle resigns as President of France.
- 29 Apr 1969 Trumpets of the Lord opens at Brooks Atkinson NYC for 7 performances
- 30 Apr 1969 WEDB TV channel 40 in Berlin, NH (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 01 May 1969 43 Unification church couples wed in New York City
- 02 May 1969 The British ocean liner Queen Elizabeth 2 departs on her maiden voyage to New York City.
- 03 May 1969 Trumpets of the Lord closes at Brooks Atkinson NYC after 7 performances
- 04 May 1969 Sandra Haynie wins LPGA Shreveport Kiwanis Club Golf Invitational.
- 05 May 1969 Pulitzer prize awarded to Norman Mailer (Armies of the Night)
- 07 May 1969 Lieutenant General Robert E Cushman, Jr, US Marine Corp, becomes deputy director of US Central Intelligence Agency.
- 08 May 1969 Pope Paul VI publishes constitution Sacra Ritum Congregation
- 09 May 1969 BPAA All-Star Bowling Tournament is won by Billy Hardwick.
- 10 May 1969 Turtles play White House, Mark Volman falls off stage 5 times
- 11 May 1969 Carol Mann wins LPGA Dallas Civitan Golf Open.
- 12 May 1969 Kenneth H Wallis achieves record speed for an autogiro-179 KPH.
- 13 May 1969 Race riots, later known as the May 13 Incident, take place in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 14 May 1969 Last Chevrolet Corvair car built.
- 15 May 1969 Associate Justice Abe Fortas resigns from US Supreme Court.
- 16 May 1969 Barbra Streisand appears at a Friars Club Tribute
- 17 May 1969 My Wife, My Dog, My Cat, by Maskman and The Agents hits #92
- 18 May 1969 Apollo 10 (Stafford / Cernan / Young) launched toward lunar orbit
- 19 May 1969 Coleman Hawkins, American jazz saxophonist (Born 1901)
- 20 May 1969 US troops capture Hill 937/Hamburger Hill Vietnam.
- 21 May 1969 After 9,015 at bats Hank Aaron is lifted for a pinch hitter, Mike Lum, who doubled in a 15-3 victory over the New York Mets.
- 22 May 1969 Stafford and Cernan pilot Apollo 10 LEM 9.4 miles (15km) above lunar surface.
- 23 May 1969 Lauwerszee Dike in Holland closes.
- 25 May 1969 Midnight Cowboy released with an X rating
- 26 May 1969 Apollo 10 astronauts returned to Earth.
- 27 May 1969 Jerry Lewis Show second run, last airs on NBC-TV
- 28 May 1969 AC Milan wins 14th Europe Cup 1 in Madrid, Spain.
- 30 May 1969 Derek Clayton runs world record marathon (2:08:33.6) at Antwerp, Belgium.
- 31 May 1969 Dear World closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 132 performances
- 01 Jun 1969 Tobacco advertising is banned on Canadian radio and TV.
- 02 Jun 1969 Australian aircraft carrier Melbourne slices US destroyer Frank E Evans in half, killing 74 (South Vietnam)
- 03 Jun 1969 Last episode of Star Trek airs on NBC (Turnabout Intruder)
- 04 Jun 1969 22-year-old man sneaks into wheel pod of a jet parked in Havana and survives 9-hr flight to Spain despite thin oxygen levels at 29,000 ft
- 05 Jun 1969 Dutch Antilles government of Kroon resigns
- 06 Jun 1969 Joe Namath resigns from NFL after Pete Rozelle, football commissioner, said he must sell his stake in a bar
- 07 Jun 1969 Johnny Cash Show, debuts on ABC-TV
- 08 Jun 1969 Smothers Brothers comedy Hour, last airs on CBS-TV
- 09 Jun 1969 Brian Jones quits (sic) Rolling Stones because of his drug problems
- 11 Jun 1969 The Ballad Of John andYoko by The Beatles hit #1 in the UK
- 13 Jun 1969 Mick Taylor leaves John Mayall Band and joins the Rolling Stones.
- 14 Jun 1969 Oakland Athletics Reggie Jackson gets 10 RBIs to beat Red Sox 21-7
- 15 Jun 1969 Hee Haw with Roy Clark and Buck Owens premieres on CBS TV
- 16 Jun 1969 US Supreme Court rules suspension of Adam Clayton Powell Jr from House had been unconstitutional.
- 17 Jun 1969 Oh! Calcutta! opens in NYC (almost entirely in the nude)
- 18 Jun 1969 June 22 ampndash The National Convention of the Students for a Democratic Society, held in Chicago, collapses, and the Weatherman faction seizes control of the SDS National Office. Thereafter, any activity run from the National Office or bearing the name of SDS is Weatherman-controlled.
- 19 Jun 1969 State troopers ordered to Cairo, Illinois, to quell racial disturbances.
- 20 Jun 1969 Georges Pompidou sworn in as President of France
- 21 Jun 1969 John Pennel pole vaults world record (5.45 m)
- 22 Jun 1969 Aretha Franklin arrested in Detroit for creating a disturbance
- 23 Jun 1969 French government of Couve de Murville resigns
- 24 Jun 1969 The United Kingdom and Rhodesia sever diplomatic ties.
- 25 Jun 1969 Longest tennis match in Wimbeldon history, Pancho Gonzalez beats Charles Pasarell in 112 game marathon (5 hours 12 minues).
- 27 Jun 1969 Honduras / El Salvador breaks diplomatic relations due to soccer match
- 28 Jun 1969 Stonewall Riots begin in New York City marking the start of the Gay Rights Movement.
- 29 Jun 1969 1st Jewish worship service at White House
- 30 Jun 1969 Derek Clayton of Australia sets marathon record at 2:08:34.
- 01 Jul 1969 John andYoko are hospitalized after a car crash
- 02 Jul 1969 Ireland bowl out WI for 25 at Londonderry, win by 9 wkts
- 03 Jul 1969 78,000 attend Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, Rhode Island.
- 04 Jul 1969 Give Peace a Chance by Plastic Ono Band is released in the UK
- 05 Jul 1969 83rd Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Rod Laver beats J Newcombe (64 57 64 64)
- 06 Jul 1969 Filming begins on Ned Kelly starring Mick Jagger
- 07 Jul 1969 In Canada, the Official Languages Act is adopted making the French language equal to the English language throughout the Federal government.
- 08 Jul 1969 Thor Heyerdahl and reed raft Ra II land in Barbados 57 days from Morocco
- 09 Jul 1969 The United States Postal Service announces a stamp to commemorate the first landing on the Moon. A record 8,743,070 requests are received for first day covers.
- 10 Jul 1969 Chilean Association of Librarians created
- 11 Jul 1969 Rolling Stones release Honky Tonk Woman
- 12 Jul 1969 98th British Golf Open: Tony Jacklin shoots a 280 at Royal Lytham
- 13 Jul 1969 Russia launches unmanned Luna 15 to Moon
- 14 Jul 1969 Soccer war - Salvador-Honduras (1000 dead)
- 15 Jul 1969 Cincinnati Reds' Lee May hits four home runs in a doubleheader.
- 16 Jul 1969 Apollo 11, carrying 1st men to land on Moon, launched
- 17 Jul 1969 The New York Times publicly takes back the ridicule of the rocket scientist Robert H. Goddard published in 13 Jan 1920 that spaceflight is impossible.ref name=quotastronauticsnow_com-indexquotRobert H. Goddard. ''The New York Times''. astronauticsnow.com/history/goddard/index.html 090118 astronauticsnow.com
- 18 Jul 1969 Joe Namath agrees to sell interest in Bachelors 3, to stay in NFL
- 19 Jul 1969 Apollo 11 goes into Moon orbit
- 20 Jul 1969 1st men on Moon, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, Apollo 11
- 21 Jul 1969 Neil Armstrong and Edwin ''Buzz'' Aldrin become the first men to walk on the Moon, during the Apollo 11 mission.
- 22 Jul 1969 Aretha Franklin arrested for disturbing peace in Detroit
- 23 Jul 1969 40th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 9-3 at RFK Memorial, Washington DC
- 24 Jul 1969 Muhammad Ali is convicted for refusing induction in US Army on appeal
- 25 Jul 1969 1st performance of Crosby, Stills, Nash andYoung (Fillmore East, NY)
- 26 Jul 1969 Sharon Sites Adams, 39, becomes 1st lady to solo sail the Pacific
- 27 Jul 1969 15th LPGA Championship won by Betsy Rawls
- 29 Jul 1969 Mariner 6 begins transmitting far-encounter photos of Mars.
- 30 Jul 1969 Astros Denis Menke and Jim Wynn hit grandslams in 9th inn vs. Mets
- 31 Jul 1969 KWIH TV channel 44 in Winona, MN (IND) begins broadcasting
- 01 Aug 1969 36th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: New York Jets 26, All-Stars 24 (74,208)
- 02 Aug 1969 Bob Dylan makes surprise appearance at Hibbing HS Minn 10th reunion
- 03 Aug 1969 Reds beats Phillies 19-17
- 04 Aug 1969 Willie Stargell is first to hit a home run outside of Dodger Stadium.
- 05 Aug 1969 Mariner 7 flies past Mars
- 06 Aug 1969 Baltimore Orioles pull their third triple play (5-4-3 versus Kansas City Royals).
- 09 Aug 1969 Zorba closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 305 performances
- 10 Aug 1969 Don Sutton breaks his 13-game losing streak to Cubs with a 4-2 win
- 11 Aug 1969 Don Drysdale retires because of damage to his right shoulder
- 12 Aug 1969 Boston Celtics team sold for an NBA record $6 million.
- 13 Aug 1969 Temp Commissioner Bowie Kuhn elected for 7-year term by unanimous vote
- 14 Aug 1969 British troops intervene militarily in Northern Ireland.
- 15 Aug 1969 Woodstock Music and Art Fair opens in New York State (Max Yasgur's Dairy Farm).
- 16 Aug 1969 WATL TV channel 36 in Atlanta, Georgia begins broadcasting
- 17 Aug 1969 51st PGA Championship: Ray Floyd shoots a 276 at NCR Golf Club - Dayton, Ohio
- 18 Aug 1969 Mick Jagger accidentally shot while filming Ned Kelly
- 19 Aug 1969 Chicago Cubs' Ken Holtzman no-hits Atlanta Braves, 3-0.
- 20 Aug 1969 69 cm rainfall in Nelson Co., Virginia (state record)
- 21 Aug 1969 Fire in Al-Aksa-mosque in Jerusalem
- 22 Aug 1969 Beatles record a video for Long & Winding Road
- 23 Aug 1969 Audrey McElmory (US) wins World Cycling Championships, Brno, Czechoslovakia (first American to win cycling race title since 1912).
- 24 Aug 1969 Carol Mann wins LPGA Tournament of Champs Golf Tournament
- 27 Aug 1969 Mike Procter hits six consecutive sixes (across two overs)
- 29 Aug 1969 Joe Pepitone quits Yanks after being fined $500 for leaving the bench
- 30 Aug 1969 69th US Golf Amateur Championship won by Steve Melnyk
- 31 Aug 1969 25,000 attend New Orleans Pop Festival.
- 01 Sep 1969 Libyan revolution, Colonel Moammar Gadhafi deposes King Idris.
- 02 Sep 1969 New York Yankee Joe Pepitone is reinstated
- 05 Sep 1969 Frente Obrero wins Dutch Antilles national elections
- 06 Sep 1969 Cabaret closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 1166 performances
- 07 Sep 1969 83rd US Womens Tennis: Margaret Smith Court beats Nancy Richey (62 62)
- 08 Sep 1969 89th US Mens Tennis: Rodney G Laver beats Tony Roche (79 61 62 62)
- 09 Sep 1969 Seaplane crashes at Indianapolis, kills 83
- 10 Sep 1969 US performs nuclear test at Grand Valley, Colorado
- 13 Sep 1969 Baltimore Orioles, win earliest AL Eastern division title
- 14 Sep 1969 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Wendell-West Golf Open
- 18 Sep 1969 Tiny Tim and Miss Vicky get engaged
- 20 Sep 1969 18th Ryder Cup: Draw, 16-16 at Royal Birkdale, England
- 21 Sep 1969 58th Davis Cup: USA beats Romania in Cleveland (5-0)
- 22 Sep 1969 Music Scene debuts on ABC-TV
- 23 Sep 1969 1st broadcast of Marcus Welby MD on ABC-TV
- 24 Sep 1969 1st Elvis convention, 2500 fans attend in Cincinnati
- 25 Sep 1969 Organisation of the Islamic Conference founded.
- 26 Sep 1969 Beatles release Abbey Road album
- 28 Sep 1969 Minnesota vs. Baltimore, gains 530 yards passing!
- 29 Sep 1969 Bright Promise, TV Daytime Soap
- 01 Oct 1969 Concorde 001 test flight breaks sound barrier
- 02 Oct 1969 Seattle Pilots play last game in Seattle, Washington, defeated by the Oakland Athletics' 3-1 for their 98th loss of year. The American League's newest franchise attracts only 677, 944 fans for the season and will play in Milwaukee as the Brewers next season.
- 04 Oct 1969 Last wooden passenger subway cars retired at Brooklyn Myrtle Beach el
- 05 Oct 1969 Carol Mann wins LPGA Mickey Wright Golf Invitational
- 06 Oct 1969 WMPB TV channel 67 in Baltimore, Maryland (PBS) begins broadcasting
- 07 Oct 1969 WJMN TV channel 3 in Escanaba, MI (ABC / NBC) begins broadcasting
- 08 Oct 1969 The opening rally of the Days of Rage occurs, organized by the Weather Underground in Chicago, Illinois.
- 11 Oct 1969 Blues artist Muddy Waters involved in a car crash that kills 3
- 12 Oct 1969 1st time 5 people in space
- 13 Oct 1969 Billy Martin (97-65) is fired as manager of AL West-winning Twins
- 14 Oct 1969 Palme government forms in Sweden
- 15 Oct 1969 Bank of America World Headquarters (555 California) dedicated
- 16 Oct 1969 100-1 shot New York Mets beat Orioles 5-3 and win 66th World Series in 5
- 17 Oct 1969 Soyuz 7 returns to Earth.
- 18 Oct 1969 Rod Stewart joins Small Faces
- 19 Oct 1969 J Bock and S Harnicks musical Rothschilds, premieres in New York City
- 20 Oct 1969 WKYH (now WYMT) TV channel 57 in Hazard, KY (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 21 Oct 1969 Bloodless coup in Somalia (National Day)
- 22 Oct 1969 KAPN-AM in Santa Barbara CA changes call letters to KDB-AM
- 23 Oct 1969 Jimmy opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 84 performances
- 26 Oct 1969 Carol Mann wins LPGA Corpus Christi Civitan Golf Open
- 27 Oct 1969 Nobel prize for economy awarded to John Tinbergen
- 29 Oct 1969 Supreme Court orders end to all school desegregation at once
- 30 Oct 1969 WXPO (now WNDS) TV channel 50 in Manchester, NH (IND) 1st broadcast
- 31 Oct 1969 Race riot in Jacksonville, Florida.
- 02 Nov 1969 NFL record of 12 passing touchdowns, New Orleans Saints' Billy Kramer and Saint Louis Rams' Charlie Johnson pass for six touchdowns each.
- 03 Nov 1969 Congo President Mobutu visits Belgium
- 06 Nov 1969 1st Cy Young Award tie (Mike Cuellar, Baltimore & Denny McLain, Det)
- 07 Nov 1969 John andYoko release their 2nd album Wedding Album in the UK
- 09 Nov 1969 A group of Amerindians, led by Richard Oakes, seizes Alcatraz Island for 19 months, inspiring a wave of renewed Indian pride and government reform.
- 10 Nov 1969 Sesame Street premieres on PBS TV
- 11 Nov 1969 Beatles with Billy Preston release Get Back in the UK
- 12 Nov 1969 Author Alexander Solzhenitsyn expelled from Soviet Writers Union
- 13 Nov 1969 US Vice President Spiro T Agnew accuses network TV news depths of bias and distortion.
- 14 Nov 1969 2nd Vietnam Moratorium Day in US
- 15 Nov 1969 1st commercial ad on English TV: Birds-Eye Peas on ATV (Midland)
- 16 Nov 1969 1968 massacre of civilians at Mylai South Vietnam, by US is 1st reported
- 17 Nov 1969 SALT-discussions open in Helsinki Finland
- 19 Nov 1969 WENY TV channel 36 in Elmira, New York (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 20 Nov 1969 Alcatraz Island off SF, is seized by militant Native Americans
- 21 Nov 1969 KXIX (now KVCT) TV channel 19 in Victoria, TX (ABC) 1st broadcast
- 22 Nov 1969 Isolation of single gene announced by scientists at Harvard University
- 24 Nov 1969 Lt William L Calley, charged with massacre of over 100 civilians in My Lai Vietnam in March 1968, ordered to stand trial by court martial
- 25 Nov 1969 Kansas City outfielder Lou Piniella is voted AL Rookie of Year
- 26 Nov 1969 35th Heisman Trophy Award: Steve Owens, Oklahoma (RB)
- 28 Nov 1969 Ted Sizemore becomes 7th Dodger to win NL Rookie of Year
- 30 Nov 1969 57th CFL Grey Cup: Ottawa Rough Riders defeats Saskatchewan, 29-11
- 01 Dec 1969 US government holds its first draft lottery since WWII.
- 02 Dec 1969 Buck White opens at George Abbott Theater NYC for 7 performances
- 03 Dec 1969 John Lennon is offered role of Jesus Christ in Jesus Christ Superstar
- 04 Dec 1969 Black Panther Party members Fred Hampton and Mark Clark are shot and killed in their sleep during a raid by 14 Chicago police officers.
- 05 Dec 1969 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 06 Dec 1969 Buck White closes at George Abbott Theater NYC after 7 performances
- 08 Dec 1969 Police surprise attack on Black-Panthers in LA
- 11 Dec 1969 Libya adopts constitution.
- 12 Dec 1969 Hello Dolly with Barbra Striesand premieres
- 14 Dec 1969 La Strada opens / closes at Lunt Fontanne NYC for 1 performance
- 15 Dec 1969 San Francisco Fire Department replaces leather helmets with plastic ones
- 16 Dec 1969 War is Over! If You Want It, Happy Christmas from John andYoko posters begin appearing
- 17 Dec 1969 50m TV viewers saw singer Tiny Tim marry Miss Vicky, on Tonight Show
- 18 Dec 1969 Coco opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 333 performances
- 21 Dec 1969 Diana Ross final TV appearance as a Supreme (Ed Sullivan Show)
- 22 Dec 1969 Pete Marovich sets NCAA record of hitting 30 of 31 foul shots.
- 25 Dec 1969 India all out for 163 at Madras versus Australia, Ashley Mallett 5-91.
- 28 Dec 1969 Dallas Cowboys' kicker Mike Clark, attempting an on-side kick against Cleveland Browns, misses the ball.
- 29 Dec 1969 New York Times reports Curt Flood will sue baseball and challenge the reserve clause
- 30 Dec 1969 The Linwood bank robbery leaves two police officers dead.
- 31 Dec 1969 The date you are commonly given when a computer's time is set to 0 in seconds. Start of the Unix Epoch.