1928 was a year filled with extraordinary achievements for mankind. In January, in a momentous scientific development, Frederick Griffith of England published a report that proved the existence of DNA. This discovery continues to yield abundant discoveries in science year after year.
In communication technology, John Baird of Scotland broadcast a transatlantic television signal from London to New York City on February 8, making the world a much more interconnected place. This paved the way for journalists to broadcast news developments around the world and for people to eventually see entertainment programming from foreign countries. Later this year, in July, Baird would go on to put on a demonstration of the world’s first color television transmission.
This was also a major year for the aeronautics field. In March, American aviator Charles Lindbergh was formally honored for his famous transatlantic flight by being presented with the Medal of Honor. In June of this year, aviator Amelia Earhart became the first woman to make a transatlantic flight, although she did make this flight as a passenger – not a pilot.
There were also some important developments on the international political stage. In January, a major internal rift in Soviet political circles reared its head when Leon Trotsky was exiled from Soviet territory. Trotsky was a major Marxist theorist, politician, and a founder of the Red Army. He was also a major rival to Joseph Stalin and was exiled for his opposition efforts.
A historic treaty was also signed this year – the Kellogg-Briand Pact. This was the first international agreement to make wars of aggression unlawful under international law. While this treaty would not, of course, actually achieve its ends, it is still noteworthy in that it was a significant step in international peace-building efforts. Conflicts were to be resolved through diplomacy first, which brought signatories closer to putting into practice traditional Western notions of “just war theory.”
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 1st edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1928?
All Nobel Prize winners of 1928
- Sigrid Undset
- Owen Willans Richardson
- Adolf Otto Reinhold Windaus
Physiology or Medicine
- Charles Nicolle
Which were the top hits of 1928?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Frank Crumit - A Gay Caballero
- Ted Weems & His Orchestra - You're the Cream in My Coffee
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1928?
- 01 Jan 1928 Algemeene Vereeniging Radio Omroep (AVRO) begins broadcasting (Neth)
- 06 Jan 1928 Pope Pius XI publishes encyclical Mortalium animos (against oecumene)
- 07 Jan 1928 The moat at the Tower of London, previously drained in 1843 (and planted with grass), is completely refilled by a tidal wave.
- 10 Jan 1928 Soviet Union orders exile of Leon Trotsky.
- 12 Jan 1928 U.S. murderer Ruth Snyder is executed at Ossining.
- 17 Jan 1928 The OGPU arrests Lev Trotsky in Moscow he assumes a status of passive resistance.
- 23 Jan 1928 Abenteuer of brave Soldier Schwejk premieres in Berlin
- 26 Jan 1928 The volcanic island Anak Krakatau appears.
- 28 Jan 1928 Christopher Hornsrud is chosen Prime Minister of Norway at age 101.
- 30 Jan 1928 Bradman scores 134 not out (225 mins, 13 fours) NSW vs. Vic
- 31 Jan 1928 Scotch tape first marketed by 3-M Company.
- 07 Feb 1928 1st solo England to Australia flight takes off (Bert Hinkler)
- 08 Feb 1928 Scottish inventor J Blaird demonstrates color-TV.
- 11 Feb 1928 2nd Winter Olympic games opens in St. Moritz, Switzerland
- 12 Feb 1928 Heavy hail kills 11 in England.
- 19 Feb 1928 2nd Winter Olympic games close at St. Moritz, Switzerland
- 20 Feb 1928 A hung parliament is produced in Japan after the general election.
- 25 Feb 1928 Charles Jenkins Laboratories of Washington, D.C. becomes the first holder of a television license from the Federal Radio Commission.
- 28 Feb 1928 C.V. Raman discovers Raman effect.
- 04 Mar 1928 Bunion Run race from LA to NYC begins
- 11 Mar 1928 Netherlands and Belgium tie 1-1 (soccer match in Amsterdam)
- 12 Mar 1928 In California, the St. Francis Dam fails; the resulting floods kill over 600 people.
- 13 Mar 1928 450 die in St. Francisquito Valley Dam burst (California)
- 15 Mar 1928 March 15 incident: Japanese government crackdown on socialists and communists.
- 19 Mar 1928 Amos and Andy debuts on radio (NBC Blue Network-WMAQ Chicago).
- 21 Mar 1928 Charles Lindbergh is presented the US Congressional Medal of Honor for his first trans-Atlantic flight.
- 26 Mar 1928 The China Academy of Art is founded in Hangzhou, Republic of China (first named the National Academy of Art).
- 27 Mar 1928 KGB-AM in San Diego CA begins radio transmissions
- 29 Mar 1928 Yeshiva College chartered (New York City, New York).
- 09 Apr 1928 Top-Oss soccer team forms in Oss
- 10 Apr 1928 quotPineapple Primaryquot: The U.S. Republican Party primary elections in Chicago are preceded by assassinations and bombings.
- 12 Apr 1928 Assassination attempt on King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy.
- 13 Apr 1928 First trans-atlantic flight, Europe-US (Fitzmaurice-von Hnnefeld-K�hl).
- 14 Apr 1928 Maddus Airlines starts first regular passenger flights between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
- 19 Apr 1928 Japanese troops occupies Sjantung-schiereiland
- 22 Apr 1928 An earthquake destroys 200,000 buildings in Corinth.
- 24 Apr 1928 Fathometer, which measures underwater depth, patented.
- 25 Apr 1928 Buddy, a German Shepherd, becomes first guide dog for the blind.
- 26 Apr 1928 Los Angeles City Hall dedicated.
- 28 Apr 1928 28ampnbspinches of snow fall in southern-central Pennsylvania.
- 30 Apr 1928 Cherkess Autonomous Region is established in RSFSR (until 1957).
- 01 May 1928 Drunken fascist Erich Wichman attacks VARA-radio transmitter
- 02 May 1928 KPQ-AM in Wenatchee WA begins radio transmissions
- 03 May 1928 Japanese atrocities in Jinan, China.
- 07 May 1928 Pulitzer prize awarded to Thornton Wilder for (Bridge of San Luis Rey)
- 10 May 1928 WGY, Schenectady begins regular TV programming
- 11 May 1928 54th Kentucky Derby: Chick Lang aboard Reigh Count wins in 2:10.4
- 12 May 1928 Opium laws enforced
- 14 May 1928 John McGraw is knocked down by a taxicab and suffers a broken leg
- 15 May 1928 Mickey Mouse premiered in his first cartoon, Plane Crazy
- 17 May 1928 9th modern Olympic games opens in Amsterdam
- 19 May 1928 Explosion in coal mine in Mather, Pennsylvania, 195 die
- 22 May 1928 US Congress accepts Jones-White Merchant Naval Act.
- 23 May 1928 Bomb attack on Italian embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina; 22 die.
- 24 May 1928 Umberto Nobile flies airship over North Pole again
- 25 May 1928 Amelia Earhart (as a passenger) is 1st woman to fly Atlantic Ocean
- 28 May 1928 Dodge Brothers Inc and Chrysler Corp merged
- 29 May 1928 Fritz von Opel reaches 200 kph in experimental rocket car.
- 30 May 1928 A rescue expedition leaves for the North Pole.
- 31 May 1928 First aerial cross of the Pacific takes off from Oakland, California.
- 02 Jun 1928 Velveeta Cheese created by Kraft
- 03 Jun 1928 The American serial killer Albert Fish kidnaps and kills 10-year-old Grace Budd.
- 04 Jun 1928 President of the Republic of China Zhang Zuolin is assassinated by Japanese agents.
- 08 Jun 1928 First US-to-Australia flight lands (Sir Charles Kingford).
- 09 Jun 1928 60th Belmont: Clarence Kummer aboard Vito wins in 2:33.2
- 11 Jun 1928 A medical doctors' strike begins in Vienna.
- 12 Jun 1928 New York Yankee Lou Gehrig hits 2 triples and 2 HRs to be White Sox 15-7
- 14 Jun 1928 Republican National Convention in Kansas City nominates Herbert Hoover for US President.
- 15 Jun 1928 Ty Cobb, 41, steals home for 50th and final time
- 17 Jun 1928 Amelia Earhart leaves Nfld to become 1st woman (passenger) to fly Atlantic (as a passenger in a plane piloted by Wilmer Stultz)
- 18 Jun 1928 Amelia Earhart becomes 1st female to fly across Atlantic Ocean
- 20 Jun 1928 Puniša Račić shoots 3 opposition representatives in the Yugoslavian Parliament, and injures 3 others.
- 24 Jun 1928 32nd US Golf Open: Johnny Farrell shoots a 294 at Olympia Fields - Illinois
- 25 Jun 1928 New York Giants' Fred Lindstrom ties record of 9 hits in a doubleheader.
- 28 Jun 1928 Friedrich Schmiedl attempted rocket mail in Austria (unsuccessful)
- 29 Jun 1928 The Outerbridge Crossing and Goethals Bridge in Staten Island, New York are both opened.
- 30 Jun 1928 Radio Service Bulletin lists radio stations call signs that are to be changed to conform with international standards
- 02 Jul 1928 British parliament accept female sufferage
- 03 Jul 1928 1st color TV broadcast in London (John Logic Baird)
- 06 Jul 1928 World's largest hailstones 1.5 pounds (17 inch diameter) fall in Potter, Nebraska, USA.
- 07 Jul 1928 41st Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Helen Moody beats L de Alvarez (62 63)
- 10 Jul 1928 Senator Milt Gaston hurls record tying 14-hit shutout
- 12 Jul 1928 Mexican aviator Emilio Carranza dies in a solo plane crash in the New Jersey Pine Barrens, while returning from a goodwill flight to New York City.
- 17 Jul 1928 José de León Toral assassinates Álvaro Obregón, president of Mexico.
- 19 Jul 1928 King Fuad of Egypt grabs power / disbands parliament
- 20 Jul 1928 The government of Hungary issues a decree ordering Gypsies to end their nomadic ways, settle permanently in one place, and subject themselves to the same laws and taxes as other Hungarians.
- 21 Jul 1928 1st woman to win an olympic gold medal - Halina Knonpacka of Poland
- 25 Jul 1928 The United States recalls its troops from China.
- 26 Jul 1928 Gene Tunney TKOs Tom Heeney in 11 for heavyweight boxing title
- 27 Jul 1928 AVRO, General Vereniging Radio Omroep, forms
- 28 Jul 1928 9th Olympic Games open in Amsterdam
- 29 Jul 1928 Cleveland Indians score 17 in 1st 2 inns to beat Yanks 24-6 at Dunn Field they also set a record with 24 singles in 1 game
- 30 Jul 1928 George Eastman shows 1st color motion pictures (US)
- 01 Aug 1928 Babe Ruth hits HR # 42 and is 4 weeks ahead of his 1927 pace
- 02 Aug 1928 Mussolini signs peace treaty with Abyssinia (Ethiopia)
- 03 Aug 1928 Ray Barbuti saves US team from defeat in Amsterdam Olympics track events by winning 400m (47.8 seconds).
- 11 Aug 1928 Georges Ronsse becomes world champion cyclists
- 12 Aug 1928 9th Olympic Games close in Amsterdam
- 13 Aug 1928 Soviet Union's Spartacan Games begin.
- 21 Aug 1928 WRNY began regularly scheduled television broadcasts in New York City.
- 22 Aug 1928 Alfred E. Smith accepts the Democratic presidential nomination, with ''WGY/W2XB'' simulcasting the event on radio and television.
- 25 Aug 1928 Tri-City Rugby Football Union forms consisting of Moose Jaw, Regina andWinnipeg
- 26 Aug 1928 May Donoghue finds the remains of a snail in her gingerbeer, launching Donoghue v. Stevenson.
- 27 Aug 1928 42nd US Womens Tennis: Helen W Moody beats Helen Hull Jacobs (62 61)
- 29 Aug 1928 The Club Deportivo Motagua of Honduras is founded.
- 30 Aug 1928 Jawaharlal Nehru requests independence of India
- 31 Aug 1928 Brecht and Weils Dreigroschenoper premieres
- 01 Sep 1928 Albania becomes a kingdom, with Zogu I as King
- 03 Sep 1928 Baseball Hall of Famer Ty Cobb got his 4,191th and final career hit
- 06 Sep 1928 USSR signs Briand-Kellogg-pact
- 11 Sep 1928 Ty Cobb last hitting appearance, pops out against Yankees
- 13 Sep 1928 KOH-AM in Reno NV begins radio transmissions
- 15 Sep 1928 400 kg Fournier-albums (forged postage stamps) burn in Geneva
- 16 Sep 1928 Hurricane hits West Palm Beach-Lake Okeechobee Florida; 3,000 die
- 17 Sep 1928 48th US Mens Tennis: Henri Cochet beats F T Hunter (46 64 36 75 63)
- 18 Sep 1928 Cards beat Phillies for 20th of 22 games in 1928
- 21 Sep 1928 My Weekly Reader magazine made its debut
- 25 Sep 1928 Paul Galvin and his brother Joseph incorporate the Galvin Manufacturing Corporation (now known as ''Motorola'').
- 27 Sep 1928 US recognizes Nationalist Chinese government.
- 28 Sep 1928 Prussia forbids speech from Adolf Hitler
- 29 Sep 1928 Cardinals win NL pennant with a 3-1 win at Boston
- 30 Sep 1928 Le Sifflet publishes 1st precursor of Kuifje (Tintin)
- 01 Oct 1928 Paavo Nurmi runs world record 15m (46:49.6)
- 02 Oct 1928 The ''Prelature of the Holy Cross and the Work of God'', commonly known as Opus Dei, is founded by Saint Josemaria Escriva.
- 03 Oct 1928 French sun Ondine sinks returning to Toulon, drowning 42
- 04 Oct 1928 25th World Series begins, New York Yankees vs. St. Louis Cardinals
- 06 Oct 1928 11th PGA Championship: Leo Diegel at Five Farms Country Club - Baltimore
- 07 Oct 1928 Race Tafari Makonnen crowned King of Abyssinia
- 08 Oct 1928 Eastern Soccer League forms in US.
- 09 Oct 1928 New York Yankees sweep Saint Louis Cardinals in 25th World Series; Babe Ruth hits three home run in game - New York Yankees become first to sweep consecutive World Series.
- 12 Oct 1928 An iron lung respirator is used for the first time at Children's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts.
- 15 Oct 1928 German dirigible Graf Zeppelin lands in Lakehurst, New Jersey
- 16 Oct 1928 Mickey Cochrane wins AL MVP honors, edging Heinie Manush by 2 points
- 19 Oct 1928 William Edward Hickman is executed at San Quentin prison for the 1927 murder of Marion Parker.
- 22 Oct 1928 China expels all Russian instructors and civil servants
- 26 Oct 1928 International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (ICRM) formally established with the adoption of “Statutes of the International Red Cross”
- 28 Oct 1928 Bradman scores 131 NSW vs. Queensland, 212 mins, 14 fours
- 01 Nov 1928 Graf Zeppelin sets airship distance record of 6384 km
- 03 Nov 1928 Turkey switches from Arabic to Roman alphabet.
- 04 Nov 1928 Jose Moncada elected President of Nicaragua
- 06 Nov 1928 Clevelanders vote to build a stadium with city bonds
- 07 Nov 1928 Herbert Hoover (R) elected President
- 10 Nov 1928 Hirohito ascended throne as Emperor of Japan
- 11 Nov 1928 KXO-AM in El Centro CA begins radio transmissions
- 12 Nov 1928 British steamer Vestris capsizes and sinks off Virginia, USA, kills 110.
- 17 Nov 1928 Boston Garden officially opens
- 18 Nov 1928 Release of the animated short Steamboat Willie, the first fully synchronized sound cartoon, directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks, featuring the third appearances of cartoon characters Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. This is also considered by the Disney corporation to be Mickey's birthday.
- 19 Nov 1928 1st issue of Time magazine, Japanese Emperor Hirohito on cover
- 20 Nov 1928 Boston Gardens opens, Montreal Canadiens beat Boston Bruins, 1-0
- 22 Nov 1928 Bolero by Maurice Ravel, 1st performed publicly (Paris)
- 01 Dec 1928 CFL Grey Cup: Ham Tigers beats Regina, 30-0 at Hamilton
- 02 Dec 1928 Cardinals 1B Jim Bottomley is voted NL MVP
- 03 Dec 1928 In Rio de Janeiro, a seaplane sent to greet Alberto Santos-Dumont crashes near Cap Arcona, killing all on board.
- 05 Dec 1928 MW Miklas elected President of Austria.
- 06 Dec 1928 The government of Colombia sent military forces to suppress a month-long strike by United Fruit Company workers, resulting in an unknown number of deaths.
- 11 Dec 1928 NL President John Heydler proposes designated hitter for pitchers
- 12 Dec 1928 Nichols / Brownes Wings over Europe, premieres in New York City
- 13 Dec 1928 Clip-on tie designed
- 19 Dec 1928 First autogiro (predecessor of helicopter) flight in US.
- 20 Dec 1928 Ethel Barrymore Theater opens at 243 W 47th St, New York City
- 21 Dec 1928 The U.S. Congress approves the construction of Boulder Dam, later renamed Hoover Dam.
- 23 Dec 1928 NBC sets up a permanent, coast-to-coast radio network.
- 24 Dec 1928 George Abbott Theater (Adelphi, 54 St) opens at 152 W 54th St, New York City
- 25 Dec 1928 New South Wales (versus Victoria) go from 8-74 to 9-113 to be 9-367 at stumps.
- 26 Dec 1928 Johnny Weissmuller announces his retirement from amateur swimming.
- 28 Dec 1928 Last recording of Ma Rainey, Mother of the Blues, made