Near the turn of a new millennium, 1996 was a year that, while significant in its own right, would ultimately hold great historical and cultural significance in the coming years.
In a major technological development, the chess computer, “Deep Blue,” defeated world chess champion, Garry Kasparov, for the first time. Kasparov would go on to best the computer in a six game series, though. Still, this computer developed by IBM pushed the bounds of technology and prompted the world to think about the budding relationship between humans and technology.
In another development regarding technology, specifically gaming technology, 1996 was the year that the Nintendo 64, or N64, was released. Named because of its 64-bit central processing unit, this gaming system represented another step in game console development and gave the world several memorable games, such as Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye 007, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
There were some developments that occurred this year in which the true significance would not be apparent for some time. In literature, author George R.R. Martin published A Game of Thrones, the first novel in his series, A Song of Ice and Fire. While the series of novels would be successful, the world created by Martin would become hugely popular with the production of the HBO series: Game of Thrones, which premiered in 2011.
In television history, Comedy Central’s The Daily Show premiered in 1996, hosted by Craig Kilborn. The show would eventually become an anchor for Comedy Central’s programming after Jon Stewart took over hosting duties in 1999, winning great popular and critical acclaim.
Another, more serious, political development also occurred in 1996: Osama bin Laden declared war against the United States. As a founder of the Al Qaeda terrorist group, bin Laden would go on to lead several attacks against the United States and American allies, the worst of which was the devastating attacks of September 11, 2001.
Which were the most popular movies released this year ?
Which were the top hits of 1996 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Tony Rich Project - Nobody Knows
- Los Del Rio - Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)
- Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High
- Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me
- Keith Sweat - Twisted
- Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason
- Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
- Eric Clapton - Change The World
- Celine Dion - It's All Coming Back To Me Now
- C'Mon N' Ride It (The Train) - Quad City DJ's
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Fugees - Killing Me Softly
- Peter Andre featuring Bubbler Ranx - Mysterious Girl
- The Spice Girls - Wannabe
- Gina G - Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit
- Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack
- Robert Miles - Children
- Three Lions - Baddiel & Skinner and The Lightning Seeds
- Say You'll Be There - The Spice Girls
- The Prodigy - Breathe
- Babylon Zoo - Spaceman
Which were the most popular books released in 1996 ?
Which were the top popular names given to babies born in 1996 in the USA ?
Top #10 male names
Top #10 female names
What happened in each day of 1996
Click on the dates below to find out what the world looked like in each day of 1996