Near the turn of a new millennium, 1996 was a year that, while significant in its own right, would ultimately hold great historical and cultural significance in the coming years.
In a major technological development, the chess computer, “Deep Blue,” defeated world chess champion, Garry Kasparov, for the first time. Kasparov would go on to best the computer in a six game series, though. Still, this computer developed by IBM pushed the bounds of technology and prompted the world to think about the budding relationship between humans and technology.
In another development regarding technology, specifically gaming technology, 1996 was the year that the Nintendo 64, or N64, was released. Named because of its 64-bit central processing unit, this gaming system represented another step in game console development and gave the world several memorable games, such as Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye 007, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
There were some developments that occurred this year in which the true significance would not be apparent for some time. In literature, author George R.R. Martin published A Game of Thrones, the first novel in his series, A Song of Ice and Fire. While the series of novels would be successful, the world created by Martin would become hugely popular with the production of the HBO series: Game of Thrones, which premiered in 2011.
In television history, Comedy Central’s The Daily Show premiered in 1996, hosted by Craig Kilborn. The show would eventually become an anchor for Comedy Central’s programming after Jon Stewart took over hosting duties in 1999, winning great popular and critical acclaim.
Another, more serious, political development also occurred in 1996: Osama bin Laden declared war against the United States. As a founder of the Al Qaeda terrorist group, bin Laden would go on to lead several attacks against the United States and American allies, the worst of which was the devastating attacks of September 11, 2001.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 69th edition of the Oscar ceremony
The English Patient
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1996?
Which were the most popular books released in 1996 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1996
- Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo
- José Ramos-Horta
- Wisława Szymborska
- David Lee
- Douglas Osheroff
- Robert Coleman Richardson
- James Mirrlees
- William Vickrey
- Robert F. Curl Jr.
- Harry Kroto
- Richard Smalley
Physiology or Medicine
- Peter C. Doherty
- Rolf M. Zinkernagel
Which were the top hits of 1996?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Tony Rich Project - Nobody Knows
- Los Del Rio - Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)
- Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High
- Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me
- Keith Sweat - Twisted
- Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason
- Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
- Eric Clapton - Change The World
- Celine Dion - It's All Coming Back To Me Now
- Quad City DJ's - C'Mon N' Ride It (The Train)
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Fugees - Killing Me Softly
- Peter Andre featuring Bubbler Ranx - Mysterious Girl
- The Spice Girls - Wannabe
- Gina G - Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit
- Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack
- Robert Miles - Children
- Baddiel & Skinner and The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions
- The Spice Girls - Say You'll Be There
- The Prodigy - Breathe
- Babylon Zoo - Spaceman
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1996
- Total population: 5.8 billion (5,824,891,951 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.6 billion, that is 45.0% of the total population of 1996 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +80.4 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.4%
- Average density: 39.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1996?
- 01 Jan 1996 After 27 years, Betty Rubble debuts as a Flintstone vitamin
- 03 Jan 1996 Motorola introduces the Motorola StarTAC Wearable Cellular Telephone, the world's smallest and lightest mobile phone at that time.
- 04 Jan 1996 Father opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 52 performances
- 05 Jan 1996 Miami Dolphins' coach Don Shula announces his retirement.
- 07 Jan 1996 Crazy after You closes at Shubert Theater NYC after 1622 performances
- 08 Jan 1996 Blizzard buries eastern US causing at least 50 deaths
- 09 Jan 1996 First Chechen War: Chechen separatists launch a raid against the helicopter airfield and later a civilian hospital in the city of Kizlyar in the neighbouring Republic of Dagestan, which turns into a massive hostage crisis involving thousands of civilians.
- 10 Jan 1996 Israel frees hundreds of Palestinian prisoners.
- 11 Jan 1996 Space Shuttle program: STS-72 launches from the Kennedy Space Center marking the start of the 74th Space Shuttle mission and the 10th flight of Endeavour.
- 12 Jan 1996 Russian troops arrive in Bosnia (joint operation with US).
- 13 Jan 1996 Italy's prime minister, Lamberto Dini, resigns after the failure of all-party talks to confirm him. New talks are initiated by president Oscar Luigi Scalfaro to form a new government.
- 14 Jan 1996 Holiday closes at Circle in the Square Theater NYC after 49 performances
- 16 Jan 1996 President of Sierra Leone Valentine Strasser is deposed by the chief of defence, Julius Maada Bio. Bio promises to restore power following elections scheduled for February.
- 17 Jan 1996 The Czech Republic applies for membership of the European Union.
- 18 Jan 1996 Lisa Marie Presley files for divorce from Michael Jackson in New York.
- 19 Jan 1996 NHL approves move of Winnipeg Jets to Phoenix.
- 20 Jan 1996 WPAT FM NYC radio station switches to English-Spanish format
- 21 Jan 1996 Karrie Webb wins LPGA HealthSouth Inaugural Golf Tournament.
- 23 Jan 1996 Chris Cairns scores 120, 96 balls, 10x4, 9x6 in Test New Zealand versus Zimbabwe.
- 24 Jan 1996 Polish Premier Jozef Oleksy resigns amid charges that he spied for Moscow.
- 25 Jan 1996 Billy Bailey became the last person to be hanged in the United States of America.
- 26 Jan 1996 Les Miserables, opens at Musichall Theatre, Duisburg
- 27 Jan 1996 Monica Seles beats Anke Huber to win Australian Open
- 28 Jan 1996 Hello Dolly! closes at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC after 118 performances
- 29 Jan 1996 23rd American Music Awards: Garth Brooks wins.
- 30 Jan 1996 Gino Gallagher, the suspected leader of the Irish National Liberation Army, is killed while waiting in line for his unemployment benefit.
- 31 Jan 1996 Colombo Central Bank bombing: an explosives-filled truck rams into the gates of the Central Bank in Colombo, Sri Lanka, killing at least 86 people and injuring 1,400.
- 01 Feb 1996 The Communications Decency Act is passed by the U.S. Congress.
- 02 Feb 1996 Ali Landry, 22, (Louisiana), crowned 45th Miss USA.
- 03 Feb 1996 The Lijiang earthquake in Lijiang, Yunnan, China.
- 04 Feb 1996 NFL Pro Bowl: NFC beats AFC 20-13.
- 06 Feb 1996 Heidi Fleiss scheduled to begin her 7 year jail sentence
- 07 Feb 1996 René Préval succeeds Jean-Bertrand Aristide as President of Haiti, in the first peaceful handover of power since the nation achieved independence 192 years earlier; in 1804.
- 08 Feb 1996 The massive Internet collaboration ''24 Hours in Cyberspace'' takes place.
- 09 Feb 1996 WYNY-FM in NYC changes calls to WKTU-FM
- 10 Feb 1996 IBM's chess computer "Deep Blue" defeats world chess champion Gary Kasparov in the first game of a regulation six-game match.
- 11 Feb 1996 46th NBA All-Star Game: East beats West 129-118 at San Antonio.
- 13 Feb 1996 Howard Stern announces he will be making the film Private Parts
- 14 Feb 1996 Violent clashes erupt between Filipino soldiers and Vietnamese boat people, as the Philippines government attempts to forcibly repatriate hundreds of Vietnamese asylum seekers.
- 15 Feb 1996 At the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in China, a Long March 3 rocket, carrying an Intelsat 708, crashes into a rural village after liftoff, killing many people.
- 16 Feb 1996 1996 Maryland train collision: A Chicago-bound Amtrak train, the Capitol Limited, collides with a MARC commuter train bound for Washington, D.C., killing 11 people.
- 17 Feb 1996 In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, world champion Garry Kasparov beats the Deep Blue supercomputer in a chess match.
- 18 Feb 1996 Daytona 500 race
- 19 Feb 1996 Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in York PA on WQXA 105.7 FM
- 21 Feb 1996 Soyuz TM-23 launched into orbit.
- 22 Feb 1996 Bus Stop opens at Circle in the Square Theater NYC for 29 performances
- 23 Feb 1996 Mark Waugh scores 130 in World Cup versus Kenya, 207 with brother Steve.
- 24 Feb 1996 Cuba downs two US planes.
- 25 Feb 1996 Father closes at Criterion Theater NYC after 52 performances
- 26 Feb 1996 Silicon Graphics makes a cash tender offer of US$30 per share for 75 percent of Cray Research stock, for a total cost of US$576 million. The merger is expected to be completed by June.
- 27 Feb 1996 Mark Waugh scores 126 in World Cup against India.
- 28 Feb 1996 38th Grammy Awards: "Jagged Little Pill" - Alanis Morisette wins.
- 29 Feb 1996 Soyuz TM-23, lands
- 01 Mar 1996 Plans approved allowing traffic cameras High Harrington and Shap England
- 02 Mar 1996 Copeland swimming pool re-opened by Gladiator
- 03 Mar 1996 26th Easter Seal Telethon
- 04 Mar 1996 A derailed train in Weyauwega, Wisconsin, US, causes the emergency evacuation of 2,300 people for 16 days.
- 05 Mar 1996 Earl Weaver and Jim Bunning elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 06 Mar 1996 10th American Comedy Award
- 07 Mar 1996 Magic Johnson is second NBA player to reach 10,000 career assists.
- 08 Mar 1996 The People's Republic of China begins surface-to-surface missile testing and military exercises off Taiwanese coastal areas. The United States government condemns the act as provocation, and the Taiwanese government warns of retaliation.
- 09 Mar 1996 STS 75 (Columbia 19), lands
- 10 Mar 1996 New York City Mayor Guiliani visits Israel
- 11 Mar 1996 Mark Waugh scores 110 versus New Zealand for his third century of the World Cup.
- 12 Mar 1996 Leeward Islands beat Trinidad by 73 runs to win Red Stripe Trophy.
- 13 Mar 1996 Thomas Hamilton kills 16 kindergardeners, their teacher and himself
- 14 Mar 1996 Crufts show at NEC Birmingham, (1995 winner, Joshua, an Irish setter)
- 16 Mar 1996 Mike Tyson knocks out Frank Bruno in second round.
- 17 Mar 1996 Bus Stop closes at Circle in the Square Theater NYC after 29 performances
- 18 Mar 1996 A nightclub fire in Quezon City, Philippines kills 162.
- 19 Mar 1996 Winnie Mandela divorces Nelson after 38 years of marriage.
- 20 Mar 1996 Love Thy Neighbor, opens at Booth Theater, New York City
- 21 Mar 1996 Night of the Iguana opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 68 performances
- 22 Mar 1996 STS 76 (Atlantis 16), launches into orbit.
- 23 Mar 1996 Taiwan holds its first direct elections and chooses Lee Teng-hui as President.
- 24 Mar 1996 16th Golden Raspberry Awards: Showgirls wins.
- 25 Mar 1996 68th Academy Awards - Braveheart, Nicholas Cage and Susan Sarandon win
- 26 Mar 1996 Fire breaks out at the Pasar Anyar shopping centre in Bogor, West Java. The first death toll estimate is 78 until rescuers notice that 68 of them are mannequins.
- 27 Mar 1996 State Fair, opens at Music Box Theater NYC for 118 performances
- 28 Mar 1996 Katie Beam, 17, of Oklahoma, crowned 35th Miss Teenage America.
- 29 Mar 1996 New York Yankees beats New York Mets 7-3 in an exhibition game.
- 30 Mar 1996 Prince Edward and girl-friend Sophie visited Graystoke Castle
- 31 Mar 1996 Getting Away With Murder closes at Broadhurst NYC after 17 performances
- 01 Apr 1996 Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in Boston MA on WBCN 104.1 FM (morn)
- 02 Apr 1996 U.S. Mafioso John Gotti is found guilty of murdering Paul Castellano.
- 03 Apr 1996 Suspected ''Unabomber'' Theodore Kaczynski is arrested at his cabin in Montana, United States.
- 04 Apr 1996 Inherit the Wind opens at Royale Theater NYC for 45 performances
- 05 Apr 1996 John Bobbitt is put under house arrest in Las Vegas for 120 days
- 06 Apr 1996 Albert Belle shows off his arm by hitting Sports Illustrated photographer Tony Tomsic in the hand prior to a game
- 07 Apr 1996 Kelly Robbins wins Sacramento 12 Bridges LPGA Golf Classic.
- 08 Apr 1996 Bruce Seldon TKOs Tony Tucker in 7 to win vacated WBA boxing title.
- 09 Apr 1996 In a common statement, the European Union officially recognises the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
- 11 Apr 1996 Detroit Red Wings become second NHL team to win 60 games in a season.
- 12 Apr 1996 Jessica Dubroff, aged 7, is killed in a crash near Cheyenne, Wyoming, while attempting to set a record as the youngest person to pilot an airplane across the United States.
- 13 Apr 1996 En route to NHL record 62 victories Detroit Red Wings win #61
- 14 Apr 1996 Detroit Red Wings win NHL record 62 games.
- 15 Apr 1996 100th Boston Marathon won by Moses Tanui of Kenya in 2:09:15.9.
- 18 Apr 1996 Funny Thing Happened, opens at St. James Theater NYC for 715 performances
- 19 Apr 1996 Rangers scores 16 in 8th vs. Orioles
- 20 Apr 1996 Chicago Bulls win record 72 games in a season.
- 21 Apr 1996 Delicate Balance, opens at Plymouth Theater, New York City
- 23 Apr 1996 Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in Reno NV on KRZQ 96.5 FM
- 24 Apr 1996 Jack-Night on Town with John Barrymore opens at Belasco for 12 performances
- 25 Apr 1996 Bring in Da Noise, Bring in Da Funk, opens at Ambassador Theater, New York City
- 26 Apr 1996 Sotherby ends 4 day auction of Jackie O stuff-take in $34.5 million
- 27 Apr 1996 The 1996 Lebanon war ends.
- 28 Apr 1996 Big, opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 193 performances
- 29 Apr 1996 Rent, opens at Nederlander Theater, New York City
- 30 Apr 1996 Buried Child, opens at Atkinson Theater NYC for 77 performances
- 01 May 1996 Ideal Husband opens at Barrymore Theater NYC for 308 performances
- 03 May 1996 Martin Moxon and Michael Vaughan make 362 first wickett Yorks versus Glam.
- 04 May 1996 ABC Bud Light Masters Bowling Tournament won by Ernie Schlegel.
- 05 May 1996 Jack-Night on Town with J Barrymore closes at Belasco after 12 performances
- 06 May 1996 Alvaro Arzu aimed at ending 35 years of civil war
- 07 May 1996 Comedian Martin Lawrence suffers a nervous breakdown
- 08 May 1996 New York Yankees' pitcher Dwight Gooden wins his first American League game beating Detroit Tigers 10-3.
- 09 May 1996 South Africa's National Party pulls out of the coalition government formed two years earlier, and the African National Congress assumes full political control.
- 10 May 1996 Twister premieres
- 11 May 1996 Valujet DC-9 crashes in Miami, 109 die
- 12 May 1996 Inherit the Wind closes at Royale Theater NYC after 45 performances
- 13 May 1996 OJ Simpson appears on British TV discussing his not guilty verdict.
- 14 May 1996 New York Yankees pitcher Dwight Gooden no-hits Seattle Mariners 2-0.
- 15 May 1996 Nine hostages held by the Free Papua Organization in Irian Jaya are rescued after an operation by the Indonesian military; two other hostages are later found dead.
- 16 May 1996 Sammy Sosa is first Chicago Cubs player to hit two homeruns in one inning.
- 17 May 1996 Alicia Machado, 18, of Venezuela crowned 45th Miss Universe.
- 18 May 1996 WIBC Bowling Queens won by Lisa Wagner.
- 19 May 1996 STS 77 (Endeavour 11), launches into orbit
- 20 May 1996 Gay rights: The Supreme Court of the United States rules in Romer v. Evans against a law that would have prevented any city, town or county in the state of Colorado from taking any legislative, executive, or judicial action to protect the rights of gays and lesbians.
- 21 May 1996 Blackout in many areas of Queens, New York
- 22 May 1996 Tartuffe: Born Again, opens at Circle in the Square Theater NYC for 29 performances
- 23 May 1996 Fred Norris of the Howard Stern show changes his name legally to Eric
- 24 May 1996 Spy Hard, starring Leslie Nielsen is released
- 25 May 1996 Jennifer Maria Holsten, 18, crowned Miss Filipino-American.
- 26 May 1996 Laura Davies wins J C Penney / LPGA Skins Golf Game
- 28 May 1996 U.S. President Bill Clinton's former business partners in the Whitewater land deal, James McDougal and Susan McDougal, and the Governor of Arkansas Jim Guy Tucker, are convicted of fraud.
- 29 May 1996 Space Shuttle STS 77 (Endeavour 11), lands.
- 30 May 1996 69th US National Spelling Bee: Wendy Guey wins spelling "vivisepulture".
- 31 May 1996 Mark Van Thillo and Abigail Alling, former biospherian win $100,000 lawsuit against Biospheric Development for Space Biospheres Ventures.
- 01 Jun 1996 MTV Movie Awards
- 02 Jun 1996 50th Tony Awards: Master Class and Rent win
- 04 Jun 1996 The first flight of Ariane 5 explodes after roughly 20 seconds. It was a Cluster mission.
- 05 Jun 1996 Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in Memphis TN on WMFS 92.9 FM
- 06 Jun 1996 Leighton W. Smith, Jr. resigns as NATO commander in the face of increasing criticism.
- 07 Jun 1996 Julia and Noah wed on All My Children
- 08 Jun 1996 66th French Womens Tennis: Steffi Graf beats A S Vicario (63, 67, 108)
- 09 Jun 1996 66th French Mens Tennis: Yevgeny Kafelnikov beats M Stich (76, 75, 76)
- 10 Jun 1996 30th Music City News Country Awards: Alan Jackson
- 11 Jun 1996 Bob Dole, (Sen-R-KS), resigns from US Senate to run for President
- 12 Jun 1996 3 Philadelphia Federal Court judges overturn US indecency ban on internet
- 13 Jun 1996 Freeman in Montana give up to FBI after 81 days
- 14 Jun 1996 Cable Guy starring Jim Carrey is released
- 15 Jun 1996 The Provisional Irish Republican Army explodes a large bomb in the middle of Manchester, England.
- 16 Jun 1996 1st competitive game played on turf in Holland (in third grade)
- 17 Jun 1996 Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in Syracuse New York on WAQX 95.7 FM
- 18 Jun 1996 Ted Kaczynski, suspected of being the Unabomber, is indicted on ten criminal counts.
- 19 Jun 1996 Boris Yeltsin emerges as the winner in Russia's first round of presidential elections.
- 20 Jun 1996 Space Shuttle STS 78 (Columbia 20), launches into space
- 22 Jun 1996 Michael Moorer beats Axel Shultz in 11 for IBF heavywgt boxing title
- 23 Jun 1996 Tartuffe: Born Again closes at Circle in the Square Theater NYC after 29 performances
- 25 Jun 1996 The Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia kills nineteen U.S. servicemen.
- 26 Jun 1996 Irish Journalist Veronica Guerin is shot in her car while in traffic in the outskirts of Dublin
- 28 Jun 1996 Nutty Professor, starring Eddie Murphy opens in theaters in the USA
- 29 Jun 1996 An explosion in a firecrackers factory in Sichuan Province, China kills at least 36 people and injures 52 others.
- 30 Jun 1996 Buried Child closes at Brook Atkinson Theater NYC after 77 performances
- 01 Jul 1996 Kevan James scores 103 and takes 4 wkts in 4 balls, Hants vs. Ind
- 02 Jul 1996 In Los Angeles, Lyle and Erik Menendez are sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
- 03 Jul 1996 Stone of Scone is returned to Scotland.
- 04 Jul 1996 Hot Mail, a free internet E-mail service begins
- 05 Jul 1996 Dolly the sheep, the first mammal to be successfully cloned from an adult cell, is born at the Roslin Institute in Midlothian, Scotland, UK.
- 06 Jul 1996 103rd Wimbledon Womens Tennis: S Graf beats Aranxta S Vicaro (63, 75)
- 07 Jul 1996 110th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: R Krajicek beats M Washington (63 64 63)
- 08 Jul 1996 A schizophrenic man armed with a machete wounds three children and four adults at a primary school in Wolverhampton, England. Teacher Lisa Potts received the George Medal for protecting her pupils, despite being severely injured.
- 09 Jul 1996 67th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 6-0 at Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia
- 10 Jul 1996 Harriet the Spy, the first film made by Nickelodeon Movies, is released in cinemas.
- 11 Jul 1996 Legislation is introduced in Congress to propose the 50 States Coin Program.
- 12 Jul 1996 Kirby Puckett, retires from Minn Twins
- 13 Jul 1996 Cigar wins record 16th straight win, (ties Citation in 1940)
- 14 Jul 1996 How To Succeed in Business... closes at R Rodgers NYC after 548 performances
- 15 Jul 1996 After 2,216 consecutive games at shortstop, Cal Ripkin goes to 3rd
- 16 Jul 1996 An outbreak of E. coli food poisoning in Japan reaches 6,000 fatalities, after a group of school children who have eaten contaminated lunches die.
- 17 Jul 1996 230 people die when TWA 800 crashes outside of New York City
- 18 Jul 1996 Battle of Mullaitivu. The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam capture the Sri Lanka Army's base, killing over 1200 Army soldiers.
- 19 Jul 1996 Ireland beats Netherlands in 1st European Championship Final
- 20 Jul 1996 In Spain, an ETA bomb at Reus Airport injures 53
- 21 Jul 1996 125th British Golf Open: Tom Lehman shoots a 271 at Royal Lytham
- 24 Jul 1996 The Dehiwala train bombing kills 56 commuters outside Colombo.
- 25 Jul 1996 Kim LaPlante of Washington state crowned Mrs United States
- 27 Jul 1996 Bomb explodes at Atlanta Olympic Park, 1 killed, 110 injured
- 28 Jul 1996 New York Yankee Darryl Strawberry hits his 300th HR
- 29 Jul 1996 Sarah Balabagan returns to the Philippines.
- 30 Jul 1996 Tommy Lasoda retires as LA Dodger manager
- 01 Aug 1996 Michael Johnson breaks the 200m world record by 0.30 seconds with a time of 19.32 seconds at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 04 Aug 1996 24th du Maurier Golf Classic: Laura Davies
- 05 Aug 1996 Dallas Cowboys play Kansas City Chiefs in Monterrey Mexico
- 06 Aug 1996 NASA announces that the Allan Hills 84001 meteorite, thought to originate from Mars, may contain evidence of primitive lifeforms.
- 09 Aug 1996 Boris Yeltsin is sworn in at the Kremlin for a second term as President of Russia.
- 10 Aug 1996 Bob Dole picks Jack Kemp as his Republican VP running mate
- 11 Aug 1996 Thousand Clowns, closes at Criterion Theater NYC after 32 performs
- 12 Aug 1996 Breakfast on Fox premieres
- 13 Aug 1996 Microsoft releases Internet Explorer 3.0
- 14 Aug 1996 A rocket ignited during a fireworks display in Arequipa, Peru knocks down a high-tension power cable into a dense crowd, electrocuting 35 people.
- 15 Aug 1996 Bob Dole is nominated for President of the United States, and Jack Kemp for Vice President, at the Republican National Convention in San Diego, California.
- 16 Aug 1996 Brookfield Zoo, Chicago, Illinois. After a three year old boy falls into the deep gorilla enclosure, Binti Jua, a female silverback gorilla sits with the injured boy until his rescue. Video of the ape's actions make her world famous.
- 17 Aug 1996 Soyuz TM-24, launched into orbit
- 18 Aug 1996 The San Jose Mercury News publishes Gary Webb's three-part series on the Reagan CIA's role in crack cocaine importation to fund the Contras.
- 20 Aug 1996 A thousands-large protest in Seoul, calling for reunification with North Korea, is broken up by riot police.
- 21 Aug 1996 Hughie, opens at Circle in the Square Theater, New York City
- 22 Aug 1996 Bill Clinton signs welfare reform into law, representing major shift in US welfare policy
- 23 Aug 1996 Osama bin Laden allegedly writes "The Declaration of Jihad on the Americans Occupying the Country of the Two Sacred Places," his first open call for war.
- 24 Aug 1996 Microsoft releases Windows NT 4.0, with graphical user interface similar to that of Windows 95. The software comprises 16.5 million lines of code. Code-name during development was Cairo.
- 25 Aug 1996 96th US Golf Amateur Championship won by Tiger Woods
- 26 Aug 1996 Chun Doo-hwan is sentenced to death, after being found guilty of mutiny and treason.
- 28 Aug 1996 Liam Botham takes 5-67 on 1st-class debut Hants vs. Middlesex
- 29 Aug 1996 U.S. President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore are re-nominated at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Illinois.
- 30 Aug 1996 The attempted raising of a 15-tonne section of the RMS Titanic fails, as 1,700 spectators, including survivors of the wreckage, watch.
- 01 Sep 1996 Baltimore Ravens (Cleveland Browns) 1st NFL game, beat Oakland Raiders, 17-14
- 02 Sep 1996 Michelle McGann wins LPGA State Farm Rail Golf Classic
- 03 Sep 1996 Nintendo releases the Game Boy Pocket portable game system in the USA.
- 04 Sep 1996 13th MTV Awards: Alanis Morrisett and Smashing Pumpkins wins
- 05 Sep 1996 Summer & Smoke opens at Criterion Theater, New York City
- 07 Sep 1996 American Hip-Hop star Tupac Shakur is fatally shot four times on the Las Vegas strip after leaving the Tyson-Seldon boxing match.
- 08 Sep 1996 7 Guitars closes at Walter Kerr Theater, New York City
- 10 Sep 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) signed (it will be ratified 180 days after ratification by 44 Annex 2 countries).
- 11 Sep 1996 Union Pacific Railroad purchases Southern Pacific Railroad.
- 12 Sep 1996 Ricardo López sends a package, containing an acid bomb, to Icelandic singer Björk with the intention to kill or disfigure her, and then commits suicide. The package is intercepted by the Scotland Yard four days later, before doing any harm.
- 13 Sep 1996 Phil Simmons scores 171 and takes 6-14 for Leics vs. Durham
- 14 Sep 1996 New York Met Todd Huntley sets record of 41 HRs by a catcher
- 15 Sep 1996 Bangladesh beat UAE by 104 runs to win the ACC Trophy Final
- 16 Sep 1996 1st one-day international in Canada, India vs. Pakistan at Toronto
- 17 Sep 1996 Dodger Hideo Nomo no-hits Colo Rockies, 9-0 at Coors Field
- 18 Sep 1996 Roger Clemens ties his own major league record with 20 strikeouts
- 19 Sep 1996 Skylight opens at Royale Theater, New York City
- 20 Sep 1996 Leader of Pakistani opposition party Pakistan Peoples Party Murtaza Bhutto is killed during a gun battle with police.
- 21 Sep 1996 Christie Brinkey gets married for 4th time, she marries Peter Cook
- 22 Sep 1996 4th Solheim Cup: US beats Europe 17-11 at St. Pierre Wales
- 23 Sep 1996 Howard Stern radio show premieres in West Palm Beach Florida (WCLB 95.5 FM)
- 24 Sep 1996 U.S. President Bill Clinton signs the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty at the United Nations.
- 25 Sep 1996 IBM launches OS/2 Warp 4, in San Francisco, California. New features include Java technology, voice recognition software, and Open32 Win32 APIs. Price is US$249; upgrade is US$149. It is the first operating system to include built-in speech navigation and recognition.
- 26 Sep 1996 Space Shuttle STS 79 (Atlantis 17), lands
- 27 Sep 1996 Baltimore Oriole Roberto Alomar spits in face of umpire John Hirschbeck
- 28 Sep 1996 1st ODI played in Kenya between home team and Sri Lanka
- 29 Sep 1996 Delicate Balance closes at Plymouth Theater, New York City
- 30 Sep 1996 Congress passes the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997; the Bureau of the Mint is renamed the United States Mint.
- 01 Oct 1996 Yasser Arafat and Benjamin Netanyahu meet with US President Bill Clinton in Washington DC.
- 02 Oct 1996 30th Country Music Association Award: Brooks and Dunn win
- 03 Oct 1996 Thunderdome in Tampa Bay renamed Tropicana Field
- 04 Oct 1996 BPAA US Bowling Open by Dave Husted
- 05 Oct 1996 Caroline Pierce wins LPGA JAL Big Apple Golf Classic
- 06 Oct 1996 Bob Dole and President Bill Clinton meet in their 1st debate
- 07 Oct 1996 President Bill Clinton wins the first TV debate with Republican rival Bob Dole.
- 08 Oct 1996 Irish Republican Army terrorists plant bombs at a heavily secured British army base south-west of Belfast: 31 soldiers and civilians are injured.
- 10 Oct 1996 Sex & Longing opens at Cort Theater, New York City
- 11 Oct 1996 Ford buys rights to named Detroit domed stadium for $40 million
- 13 Oct 1996 Big, closes at Shubert Theater NYC after 193 performances
- 14 Oct 1996 Braves blow out St. Louis, 14-0 in an NLCS game
- 15 Oct 1996 Several large strikes begin in various industries across Belgium in protest to the dismissal of the magistrate Jean-Marc Connerotte by the Supreme Court.
- 16 Oct 1996 Eighty-four people are killed and more than 180 injured as 47,000 football fans attempt to squeeze into the 36,000-seat Estadio Mateo Flores in Guatemala City.
- 17 Oct 1996 Taking Sides, opens at Atkinson Theater, New York City
- 19 Oct 1996 Braves beat the New York Yanks by record tying 11 runs, 12-1 in a World Series
- 20 Oct 1996 Summer & Smoke closes at Criterion Theater, New York City
- 22 Oct 1996 New York Yankee Bernie Williams hits record tying 7th post season HR, as Yanks tie record of 6th straight post season road win (en route to 8)
- 23 Oct 1996 New York Yankees set record by coming back from 6-0 in World Series game to beat Atlanta Braves 8-6, also set record of 7th straight road win
- 24 Oct 1996 Last game at Atlanta County Fulton Stadium. Yanks win record 8th straight road post season win (with no loses)
- 25 Oct 1996 Frank, Brother of Yank manager Joe Torre, receives a heart transplant
- 26 Oct 1996 The New York Yankees win the World Series for the first time since 1978, defeating the Atlanta Braves 3–2 to win the series in 6 games.
- 31 Oct 1996 A Fokker F100 operating as TAM Transportes Aereos Regionais Flight 402 crashes into several houses in Sao Paulo, Brazil killing 98 including 2 on the ground.
- 01 Nov 1996 Al Jazeera, known as a multi-language news channel, begins regular service in Doha, Qatar.
- 02 Nov 1996 Hughie, closes at Circle in the Square Theater, New York City
- 03 Nov 1996 27th NYC Marathon won by Giacomo Leone of Italy in 2:09:54
- 05 Nov 1996 Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is the unanimous choice as AL Rookie of
- 06 Nov 1996 LA Dodger Todd Hollandsworth wins NL Rookie of Year
- 07 Nov 1996 3 Sisters opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater, New York City
- 08 Nov 1996 All 141 people on board a Nigerian-owned Boeing 727 die when the aircraft crashes into the Atlantic Ocean while approaching Lagos airport.
- 10 Nov 1996 Rapper Yaki Kadafi, born Yafeu Fula, is shot to death in New Jersey at the age of 19.
- 11 Nov 1996 Braves John Smoltz wins NL Cy Young Award
- 12 Nov 1996 A Saudi Arabian Airlines Boeing 747 and a Kazakh Ilyushin Il-76 cargo plane collide in mid-air near New Delhi, killing 349. The deadliest mid-air collision to date.
- 13 Nov 1996 Three Sisters, closes at Lunt-Fontanne Theater, New York City
- 14 Nov 1996 Chicago, opens at Richard Rodgers Theater, New York City
- 15 Nov 1996 Into the Whirlwind opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 2 performances
- 16 Nov 1996 Into the Whirlwind closes at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 2 performances
- 17 Nov 1996 Present Laughter opens at Walter Kerr Theater, New York City
- 18 Nov 1996 Frederick Chiluba is re-elected as President of Zambia.
- 19 Nov 1996 God Said, Ha!, opens at Lyceum Theater NYC for 22 performances
- 20 Nov 1996 The 1996 Garley Building fire occurred in Hong Kong, resulting in 41 deaths and 81 injuries.
- 21 Nov 1996 Rehearsal opens at Criterion Theater, New York City
- 22 Nov 1996 OJ Simpson takes stand as hostile witness in the wrongful death lawsuit filed against him, saying it is absolutely not true
- 23 Nov 1996 Irebe Skliva, 18, of Greece, crowned 46th Miss World
- 24 Nov 1996 Juan Darien - A Carnival Mass, opens at Vivian Beaumont Theater, New York City
- 25 Nov 1996 After 24 years, Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade, ends
- 26 Nov 1996 Baseball owners approve interleague play, 26-4
- 30 Nov 1996 Herbert Khaury (aka "Tiny Tim") dies of a heart attack at age 64 while performing "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" at a Minneapolis fund raiser.
- 01 Dec 1996 85th Davis Cup: France beats Sweden in Malmo (3-2).
- 02 Dec 1996 U.S. President Bill Clinton signs the Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments.
- 04 Dec 1996 7th Billboard Music Awards
- 05 Dec 1996 Dreams & Nightmares, opens at Martin Beck Theater, New York City
- 06 Dec 1996 Mashonaland defeats England in first-class tour match.
- 07 Dec 1996 Space Shuttle STS 80 (Columbia 21) lands.
- 08 Dec 1996 God Said, Ha! closes at Lyceum Theater NYC after 22 performances
- 09 Dec 1996 Jerry Rawlings is reelected president of Ghana.
- 11 Dec 1996 Tung Chee Hwa is appointed to become the new leader of Hong Kong after it reverts to Chinese rule in 1997.
- 12 Dec 1996 Uday Hussein is seriously injured in an assassination attempt.
- 13 Dec 1996 Free agent Roger Clemens signs with Toronto Blue Jays.
- 14 Dec 1996 12th Soap Opera Digest Awards
- 15 Dec 1996 A ski lift accident in the Swiss resort of Riederalp leaves one dead and 18 injured.
- 17 Dec 1996 At the Sandia National Laboratory in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the "Option Red" supercomputer is started up, performing one trillion floating-point operations per second, making it the fastest computer in the world. The US$55 million computer uses 9072 Intel Pentium Pro processors with 600 GB memory and 2 terabyte disc storage.
- 18 Dec 1996 American TV industry executives agree to adopt a ratings system.
- 19 Dec 1996 Once Upon a Matress, opens at Broadhurst NYC for 187 performances
- 20 Dec 1996 Apple Computer announces it will buy the NeXT Software company for about US$400 million in cash and Apple stock. NeXT Software CEO Steve Jobs will become an advisor to Apple chairman and CEO Gilbert Amelio.
- 21 Dec 1996 Pakistan all out 67 to lose to Tasmania by an inning.
- 25 Dec 1996 Six-year-old JonBenét Ramsey is murdered in the basement of her parents' home in Boulder, Colorado.
- 26 Dec 1996 Start of the largest strike in South Korean history.
- 27 Dec 1996 Carquest Bowl 7: Miami beats Virginia, 31-21.
- 29 Dec 1996 Dreams & Nightmares closes at Martin Beck Theater, New York City
- 30 Dec 1996 Lew Ayres, American screen actor (Salem's Lot, State Fair), dies at age 88 (born 1908).
- 31 Dec 1996 The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway is merged with the Burlington Northern Railroad to form the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, making it one of the largest railroad mergers in U.S. history.