1984 marks the year the world became aware of the famine in Ethiopia, prompting the European Economic Community to make £1.8 million available for humanitarian aid, and leading Irish musician Bob Geldof to form the Band Aid group, which would donate its profits to help fight the famine.
On October 31st, Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi is assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards, sparking murderous Anti-Sikh riots throughout the country. That same year, the Bhopal disaster occurs in the Madhya Pradesh region of India when a gas leak causes the death of over 8000 people in history’s worst industrial accident.
In Latin America, over a million people, led by politician Tancredo Neves, march in the streets of Sao Paulo to demand democratic elections in the largest demonstration in Brazilian history.
On November 6th, Ronal Reagan re-elected, a few months after calling for a ban on chemical weapons following Iran’s denunciation of Iraq’s use of such weapons.
In sports, the 1984 Summer Olympics are held in Los Angeles with the notable absence of the Soviet Union, who had announced their boycott of the event a few months before. On May 8th, the Chicago White Sox defeat the Milwaukee Brewers in the longest game in the history of Major League baseball, clocking in at eight hours.
In the arts, Bruce Springsteen released Born in the USA on June 4th and Terms of Endearment won five Oscars, including Best Picture.
In science and technology, Apple Computers released the Macintosh Personal Computer on January 4th, a day after airing the famous advertisement inspired by George Orwell’s 1984 and, later that year, U.S. scientists announce the discovery of the AIDS virus. Notable births in 1984 include American actress and comedian Kate McKinnon, American entrepreneur Mark Zuckerberg and South African comedian and television host Trevor Noah.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 57th edition of the Oscar ceremony
F. Murray Abraham
Best supporting actor
Haing S. Ngor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1984?
Which were the most popular books released in 1984 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1984
- Desmond Tutu
- Jaroslav Seifert
- Carlo Rubbia
- Simon van der Meer
- Richard Stone
- Robert Bruce Merrifield
Physiology or Medicine
- Niels Kaj Jerne
- Georges J. F. Köhler
- César Milstein
Which were the top hits of 1984?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Prince - When Doves Cry
- Kenny Loggins - Footloose
- Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters
- Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It
- Phil Collins - Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)
- Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You
- Lionel Richie - Hello
- Van Halen - Jump
- Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
- Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes
- Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters
- Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You
- Wham! - Freedom
- Phil Collins - Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)
- Lionel Richie - Hello
- Nena - 99 Red Balloons
- Black Lace - Agadoo
- George Michael - Careless Whisper
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1984
- Total population: 4.8 billion (4,784,011,621 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.0 billion, that is 41.0% of the total population of 1984 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +84.6 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.8%
- Average density: 32.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1984?
- 01 Jan 1984 New York City transit fare rises from 75 cents to 90 cents
- 02 Jan 1984 Riot in Tunis kills over 100.
- 03 Jan 1984 Syria frees captured US pilot after appeal from Jesse Jackson.
- 04 Jan 1984 Night Court starring Harry Anderson premieres on NBC TV
- 05 Jan 1984 Adrian Dantly (Utah Jazz), ties NBA record of 28 free throws.
- 06 Jan 1984 Challenger moves to Vandenberg AFB for mating of STS 41 B mission
- 07 Jan 1984 Brunei becomes the sixth member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- 08 Jan 1984 Washington Capitals Bengt Gustafsson scores 5 goals to beat Philadelphia 7-1
- 09 Jan 1984 EAA moves operations to Oshkosh
- 10 Jan 1984 Argentine ex-President / general Bignone arrested
- 11 Jan 1984 STS 41-B vehicle moves to launch pad
- 13 Jan 1984 TV anchor Christine Craft wins $325,000 in her case against KMBC-TV
- 14 Jan 1984 Madonna 1st sings Holiday on American Bandstand
- 16 Jan 1984 Paul and Linda McCartney arrested in Barbados-possession of cannabis
- 17 Jan 1984 US Supreme Court rules (5-4) private use of home VCRs to tape TV programs for later viewing does not violate federal copyright laws.
- 18 Jan 1984 The Mitsui Miike coal mine explosion at Ōmuta, Fukuoka, Japan kills 83.
- 19 Jan 1984 Francesco Moser bicycles world record time 50,808 km (he is the first man to break the 50 km/h barrier).
- 20 Jan 1984 US female Figure Skating championship won by Rosalynn Sumners.
- 21 Jan 1984 US male Figure Skating championship won by Scott Hamilton.
- 22 Jan 1984 Super Bowl XVIII: LA Raiders beat Washington Redskins, 38-9 in Tampa Super Bowl MVP: Marcus Allen, LA Raiders, RB
- 23 Jan 1984 Hulk Hogan defeats Iron Sheik to become World Wrestling Federation champ.
- 24 Jan 1984 Apple Computer introduces the Apple Macintosh computer. It features 7.83 MHz 32-bit Motorola 68000 processor, built-in 9-inch 512x342 graphics monochrome monitor, 3.5-inch diskette drive, and 128 kB RAM. Price is $2500, well above the original $1000 target.
- 26 Jan 1984 US navy exhibits Piasecki helistat-4 helicopters and a blimp able to lift 26 tons in Lakehurst, New Jersey.
- 27 Jan 1984 John andYoko release Milk andHoney album
- 28 Jan 1984 Record 295,000 dominoes toppled, Fuerth, West Germany.
- 29 Jan 1984 Actress Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman) marries Robert Altman
- 31 Jan 1984 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 01 Feb 1984 China and Netherlands regain diplomatic relations.
- 02 Feb 1984 8th Soap Opera Digest Poll Awards
- 03 Feb 1984 10th Space Shuttle Mission (41B) - Challenger 4 launched
- 04 Feb 1984 9 closes at 46th St. Theater NYC after 739 performances
- 05 Feb 1984 Patty Sheehan win LPGA Elizabeth Arden Golf Classic.
- 07 Feb 1984 Bruce McCandless makes 1st untethered space walk (US)
- 08 Feb 1984 14th Winter Olympic games opens in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia
- 09 Feb 1984 Rink opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 204 performances
- 11 Feb 1984 10th space shuttle mission (41-B) - Challenger 4-returns to Earth
- 12 Feb 1984 Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean skate Bolero at Olympics
- 13 Feb 1984 Six-year-old Texan Stormie Jones gets first heart and liver transplant.
- 14 Feb 1984 Singer Elton John marries Renate Blauel in Sydney Australia
- 15 Feb 1984 500,000 Iranian soldiers move into Iraq.
- 16 Feb 1984 New Jersey Devils' first overtime goal, Jan Ludvig beats Hartford Whalers 6-5.
- 18 Feb 1984 Revised concordat between Italy and the Vatican signed.
- 19 Feb 1984 Doonesbury closes at Biltmore Theater NYC after 104 performances
- 21 Feb 1984 Timex withdraws from the home computer business. Timex introduced the British Sinclair Research ZX81 computer to North America as the Timex/Sinclair 1000 in 1982. Priced at $100, then dropped to $50, a lack of software and physical size and memory size limitations dampened initial public enthusiasm.
- 24 Feb 1984 Iraq resumes air attack on Iran.
- 25 Feb 1984 Oil fire in Cubatao, Brazil kills 500.
- 26 Feb 1984 Reverend Jesse Jackson acknowledges that he called New York City "Hymietown".
- 27 Feb 1984 WRC-AM in Washington DC changes call letters to WWRC
- 28 Feb 1984 26th Grammy Awards: "Beat It", Michael Jackson wins eight.
- 29 Feb 1984 Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau announces he will retire as soon as the Liberals can elect another leader.
- 01 Mar 1984 Landsat 5 and ham satellite Oscar 11 launched into polar orbit
- 02 Mar 1984 John Long (Detroit) begins NBA free throw streak of 51 games
- 03 Mar 1984 Peter Ueberroth is elected baseball commissioner (Effective October 1).
- 04 Mar 1984 Nancy Lopez wins Uniden LPGA Golf Invitational.
- 05 Mar 1984 US accuse Iraq of using poison gas
- 06 Mar 1984 A year-long strike action begins in the British coal industry (see UK Miners' Strike (1984-1985)).
- 09 Mar 1984 John Lennon releases Borrowed Time
- 10 Mar 1984 Heavyweight Tim Witherspoon KOs Greg Page
- 11 Mar 1984 Chris Johnson wins LPGA Samaritan Turquoise Golf Classic.
- 12 Mar 1984 National Union of Mine Workers in England begin a 51 week strike
- 14 Mar 1984 Challenger moves to Vandenberg AFB for mating of STS 41-C mission
- 15 Mar 1984 10th People's Choice Awards: Brooke Shields wins.
- 16 Mar 1984 Gunmen kidnap William Buckley, CIA station chief in Beirut
- 18 Mar 1984 Chris Johnson wins LPGA Tucson Conquistadores Golf Open.
- 19 Mar 1984 Kate & Allie, premieres
- 20 Mar 1984 US Senate rejects amendment to permit spoken prayer in public schools.
- 21 Mar 1984 NFL owners passed the infamous anti-celebrating rule
- 22 Mar 1984 Teachers at the McMartin preschool in Manhattan Beach, California are charged with satanic ritual abuse of the children in the school. The charges are later dropped as completely unfounded.
- 23 Mar 1984 Ice Dance Championship at Ottawa won by J Torvill and Chris Dean (GRB)
- 24 Mar 1984 IOC agrees to 6-team exhibition baseball tournament in Olympics
- 29 Mar 1984 NFL Baltimore Colts move to Indianapolis under cover of night.
- 30 Mar 1984 US ends participation in multinational Lebanon peace force.
- 31 Mar 1984 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 01 Apr 1984 American singer Marvin Gaye shot to death by his father Marvin Gaye Sr in Los Angeles, California at age 44 (born 1939).
- 02 Apr 1984 46th NCAA Mens Basketball Championship: Georgetown beats Houston 84-75.
- 03 Apr 1984 Soyuz T-11 carries 3 Cosmonauts (1 Indian-Rakesh Sharma) to Salyut 7
- 04 Apr 1984 U.S. President Ronald Reagan calls for an international ban on chemical weapons.
- 05 Apr 1984 Human Comedy opens at Royale Theater NYC for 13 performances
- 06 Apr 1984 11th Space Shuttle Mission (41-C)- Challenger 5 is launched; first time 11 people in space.
- 07 Apr 1984 Frank Church, American politician (Senator-Democrat-Ohio, 1957-81), dies at age 59.
- 08 Apr 1984 4th Golden Raspberry Awards: Lonely Lady wins.
- 09 Apr 1984 56th Academy Awards - Terms of Endearment, R Duvall and S Maclaine win
- 10 Apr 1984 Damaged Solar Max satellite snared by Challenger shuttle
- 11 Apr 1984 Challenger Astronauts complete 1st in space satellite repair
- 13 Apr 1984 11th Space Shuttle Mission (41C) - Challenger 5-returns to Earth
- 14 Apr 1984 Farewell concert of Doe Maar in Den Bosch Neth
- 15 Apr 1984 Human Comedy closes at Royale Theater NYC after 13 performances
- 16 Apr 1984 Pulitzer prize awarded to Mary Oliver for American Primitive
- 17 Apr 1984 Libyan embassy demonstration, 1 shot dead
- 18 Apr 1984 Challenger flies back to Kennedy Space Center via Kelly AFB
- 19 Apr 1984 Nemesis, death star of dinosaurs 1st appears in print (Nature Magazine)
- 20 Apr 1984 Russian offensive in Panshirvallei, Afghanistan.
- 21 Apr 1984 After 37 weeks, Thriller is knocked off as top album by Footloose
- 22 Apr 1984 Ansel Adams, American photographer, dies at age 82 (born 1902).
- 23 Apr 1984 AIDS-virus identified (acquired immune deficiency syndrome)
- 24 Apr 1984 In Morgan Hill, California, a magnitude 6.1 earthquake occurs.
- 25 Apr 1984 Rock group Wings disbands.
- 26 Apr 1984 US President Ronald Reagan visits China.
- 27 Apr 1984 Cleveland Indians beat Detroit Tigers, 8-4, in 19 innings.
- 28 Apr 1984 La Tragedie de Carmen closes at Beaumont Theater NYC after 187 performances
- 29 Apr 1984 Oliver! opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 17 performances
- 30 Apr 1984 Strong winds cause a 30 min delay in Toronto Blue Jays game
- 01 May 1984 Mick Fleetwood (of Fleetwood Mac) files for bankruptcy
- 02 May 1984 Sunday in the Park with George opens at Booth NYC for 604 performances
- 05 May 1984 110th Kentucky Derby: Laffit Pincay Jr aboard Swale wins in 2:02.4.
- 06 May 1984 Baltimore Orioles' player Cal Ripken Jr hits for the cycle.
- 07 May 1984 Sharon Barrett wins LPGA Potamkin Cadillac Golf Classic.
- 08 May 1984 USSR announces it will not participate in LA Summer Olympics
- 09 May 1984 White Sox and Brewers play 8:06, game, longest timed baseball game
- 10 May 1984 International Court of Justice rules on US blockade of Nicaragua.
- 11 May 1984 Transit of Earth as seen on Mars
- 12 May 1984 Discovery moves to Vandenberg AFB for mating of STS 41-D
- 13 May 1984 Oliver! closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 17 performances
- 14 May 1984 19th Academy of Country Music Awards: Alabama wins.
- 16 May 1984 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 17 May 1984 Cincinnati Reds' Mario Soto throws four strikeouts in one inning.
- 19 May 1984 King Of Suede by Weird Al Yankovic hits #62
- 20 May 1984 On Your Toes closes at Virginia Theater NYC after 505 performances
- 21 May 1984 Atari introduces the Atari 7800 ProSystem video game system. It features higher resolution graphics than the Atari 5200, optional keyboard to make it a home computer, and compatibility with Atari 2600 cartridges. Price is US$149.
- 23 May 1984 Detroit Tigers win 16th straight road game, tying American League record.
- 24 May 1984 Wiz opens at Lunt Fontanne Theater NYC for 13 performances
- 25 May 1984 Detroit Tigers loss to Seattle Mariners 7-3 ends record-tying 17 consecutive wins.
- 26 May 1984 Floods kill 14 in Tulsa Okla
- 27 May 1984 Joanne Carner wins LPGA Corning Golf Classic.
- 29 May 1984 Boston Red Sox retires number 9 (Ted Williams) and number 4 (Joe Cronin).
- 30 May 1984 NL suspends Mario Soto 5 days for Reds-Cubs fight on May 27th
- 31 May 1984 57th US National Spelling Bee: Daniel Greenblatt wins spelling "luge".
- 01 Jun 1984 Douglas H Mitchell, QC of Calgary becomes 6th CFL Commissioner
- 02 Jun 1984 Welcome To Fun Zone hosted by Dr Demento airs on NBC-TV
- 03 Jun 1984 Wiz closes at Lunt Fontanne Theater NYC after 13 performances
- 04 Jun 1984 18th Music City News Country Awards: Statler Brothers
- 05 Jun 1984 Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi orders an attack on the Golden Temple, the holiest site of the Sikh religion.
- 06 Jun 1984 1,200 die in Sikh Golden Temple uprising India
- 08 Jun 1984 A deadly F5 tornado nearly destroys the town of Barneveld, Wisconsin, killing 9 people, injuring nearly 200, and causing over US$25 million in damage.
- 09 Jun 1984 Laserphonic Fantasy premieres
- 10 Jun 1984 38th NBA Championship: Boston Celtics beat LA Lakers, 4 games to 3
- 11 Jun 1984 Funeral for S Nakagawa and burial of half of his ashes
- 14 Jun 1984 Southern Baptist convention decide on no women clergy members
- 15 Jun 1984 Thicke Of The Night, TV Talk Show last airs in syndication
- 16 Jun 1984 Matt de Waal finishes 14,290-mi round trip from Salt Lake City (106d)
- 17 Jun 1984 Ayako Okamoto wins LPGA Mayflower Golf Classic
- 18 Jun 1984 84th US Golf Open: Fuzzy Zoeller shoots a 276 at Winged Foot Golf Club - New York
- 19 Jun 1984 Weird Al Yankovic gives free live performance at Del Mar Fair
- 20 Jun 1984 The official name of the Turkish city Urfa is changed into Şanlıurfa.
- 22 Jun 1984 Calvin Griffith signs letter of intent to sell ownership of Twins
- 24 Jun 1984 Laurie Rinker wins LPGA Boston Five Golf Classic
- 25 Jun 1984 Lydia Garrett, 24, crowned 17th Miss Black America
- 26 Jun 1984 1st flight of Shuttle Discovery (41-D) scrubbed at T -4
- 27 Jun 1984 Emmy 11th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 5th time
- 28 Jun 1984 Richard Ram?rez, aka the "Night Stalker," performs his first recorded murder.
- 29 Jun 1984 Orel Hershiser begins string of making every sched start until 1990
- 30 Jun 1984 Failed coup by cocaine growers in Bolivia
- 01 Jul 1984 Baby closes at Barrymore Theater NYC after 241 performances
- 02 Jul 1984 Standard Oil of California changes its company name to Chevron.
- 03 Jul 1984 Dolphin rocket launched off San Clemente Island.
- 04 Jul 1984 Funeral for S Nakagawa and burial half his ashes next to N Senzaki
- 05 Jul 1984 Supreme Court weakens 70-year-old exclusionary rule-evidence seized with defective court warrants can now be used in criminal trials
- 06 Jul 1984 Warner Communications sells off the home video game and computer systems business of Atari to Jack Tramiel for US$240 million in long-term loans. Warner has the option to purchase up to 32 percent interest in the new company for US$2 per share.
- 07 Jul 1984 91st Wimbledon Womens Tennis: M Navratilova beats Chris Evert (76 62)
- 08 Jul 1984 98th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: John McEnroe beats J Connors (61 61 62)
- 09 Jul 1984 12th minster of York destroyed in lightening storm
- 11 Jul 1984 55th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 3-1 at Candlestick Park, San Francisco
- 12 Jul 1984 Geraldine Ferraro, New York becomes 1st woman major-party VP candidate
- 13 Jul 1984 Eddie Van Halen joins in, in a Jacksons concert
- 14 Jul 1984 STS 41-D vehicle moves to Vandenberg AFB for remanifest of payloads
- 17 Jul 1984 Pierre Mauroy resigns as Premier of France
- 18 Jul 1984 Walter F Mondale wins Democratic presidential nomination in San Francisco
- 19 Jul 1984 1st female to captain a 747 across Atlantic (Lynn Rippelmeyer)
- 20 Jul 1984 Vanessa Williams is asked to resign as Miss America
- 21 Jul 1984 1st documented case of a robot killing a human in US
- 22 Jul 1984 113th British Golf Open: Seve Ballesteros shoots a 276 at St. Andrews
- 23 Jul 1984 Kansas City Royals Dan Quisenberry gets his 200th career save
- 25 Jul 1984 Cosmonaut Svetlana Savitskaya becomes 1st woman to walk in space
- 26 Jul 1984 Expos Pete Rose ties Ty Cobb with his 3,052nd single
- 28 Jul 1984 23rd modern Olympic games opens in Los Angeles
- 29 Jul 1984 12th du Maurier Golf Classic: Juli Inkster
- 30 Jul 1984 Holly Roffey (11 days) gets heart transplant
- 31 Jul 1984 Venz commandos terminate hijacking of an aircraft, 2 killed
- 01 Aug 1984 Commercial peat-cutters discovers a the preserved bog body of a man, called Lindow Man, at Lindow Moss, Cheshire, North West England.
- 03 Aug 1984 365.7 million shares traded in New York Stock Exchange
- 04 Aug 1984 Republic of Upper Volta becomes Bourkina Fasso (National Day)
- 05 Aug 1984 Alice Miller wins West Virginia LPGA Golf Classic
- 06 Aug 1984 203.05 million shares traded in New York Stock Exchange
- 07 Aug 1984 Jim Deshales becomes 1,000th playing New York Yankees.
- 08 Aug 1984 Rink closes at Martin Beck Theater NYC after 204 performances
- 09 Aug 1984 STS 41-D vehicle again moves out to launch pad
- 10 Aug 1984 Mary Decker trips on heel of Zola Budd during 3,000m Olympic run.
- 11 Aug 1984 During a radio voice test President Reagan joked he signed legislation that would outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in 5 minutes
- 12 Aug 1984 23rd Olympic games close at Los Angeles, California
- 13 Aug 1984 Morocco and Libya sign Arabic-African Union treaty
- 14 Aug 1984 West Indies complete 5-0 series annihilation of England
- 15 Aug 1984 The PKK in Turkey starts a campaign of armed attacks upon the Turkish military
- 16 Aug 1984 LA federal jury acquits auto maker John Z DeLorean on cocaine charges
- 17 Aug 1984 Pete Rose returns to Cincinnati Reds as player-manager (gets two hits).
- 18 Aug 1984 Triangle Oil Corp, above-ground storage tank at Jacksonville Florida, spills 2.5 million gallons of oil burned after lightning sparked a fire.
- 19 Aug 1984 66th PGA Championship: Lee Trevino shoots a 273 at Shoal Creek Ala
- 22 Aug 1984 Last Volkswagen Rabbit produced
- 24 Aug 1984 Pat Bradley set the LPGA record for 9 holes with a 28 at Denver, Colorado.
- 25 Aug 1984 French airship capsizes
- 26 Aug 1984 Betsy King wins LPGA Columbia Savings Golf Classic
- 27 Aug 1984 US President Ronald Reagan announces the Teacher in Space project.
- 28 Aug 1984 Josef Fritzl drugs and incarcerates his daughter Elisabeth in a secret cellar, in Amstetten, Austria she was released only after 24 years of sexual abuse and mental ordeal.
- 30 Aug 1984 12th Space Shuttle Mission (41-D) - Discovery 1 - launched (6 days).
- 31 Aug 1984 Pinklon Thomas beats Tim Witherspoon in 12 for heavywgt boxing title
- 02 Sep 1984 Zorba closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 362 performances
- 03 Sep 1984 Bruce Sutter breaks NL record for saves in a season with his 38th
- 04 Sep 1984 Nigerian singer Fela Kuti sentenced to 2 years
- 05 Sep 1984 12th Space Shuttle Mission (41-D) - Discovery 1 - lands at Edwards Air Force Base.
- 06 Sep 1984 Today Show begins live remote telecasts from Moscow
- 08 Sep 1984 98th US Womens Tennis: M Navratilova beats Chris E L Mills (46 64 64)
- 09 Sep 1984 104th US Mens Tennis: John McEnroe beats Ivan Lendl (63 64 61)
- 10 Sep 1984 Discovery returns to Kennedy Space Center via Altus AFB, Okla
- 12 Sep 1984 Country singer Barbara Mandrell is badly injured in a car accident
- 13 Sep 1984 Simon Peres forms Israeli government with Likoed
- 14 Sep 1984 1st MTV awards-Bette Midler and Dan Aykroyd host
- 15 Sep 1984 Morocco Showcase opens
- 16 Sep 1984 Emmy Creative Arts Award presentation
- 17 Sep 1984 Dwight Gooden ties record of 32 strikeouts in consecutive games
- 18 Sep 1984 Tigers clinch AL East championship (spent all year in 1st place)
- 19 Sep 1984 Britain and China complete a proposed agreement to transfer Hong Kong to China by 1997
- 20 Sep 1984 Cosby Show premieres on NBC-TV
- 21 Sep 1984 NASA launches Galaxy-C.
- 22 Sep 1984 Brussels Princess Astrid marries Archduke Lorenz of Austrian-Este
- 23 Sep 1984 36th Emmy Awards: Hill St. Blue, Cheers, John Ritter and Tyne Daly
- 24 Sep 1984 Cubs clinch NL East title
- 25 Sep 1984 Quilters opens at Jack Lawrence Theater NYC for 24 performances
- 26 Sep 1984 Berlin appeals court clears Paul McCartney in a paternity suit
- 28 Sep 1984 1st floodlit ODI outside of Australia (India vs. Aust, New Delhi)
- 29 Sep 1984 (What) In Name Of Love by Naked Eyes peaks at #39
- 30 Sep 1984 Browns set a team record for allowing most sacks (11), Kansas City wins 10-6
- 01 Oct 1984 Peter Ueberroth replaces Bowie Kuhn as 6th commissioner of baseball.
- 02 Oct 1984 In 1st LCS game played with replacement umps, Cubs cbeat Padres 13-0
- 04 Oct 1984 Yanks clinch AL East
- 05 Oct 1984 13th Space Shuttle Mission (41-G) - Challenger 6 - launched. Marc Garneau becomes the first Canadian in space.
- 06 Oct 1984 Ayako Okamoto wins LPGA Hitachi Ladies British Golf Open
- 07 Oct 1984 Striking umps return for Game 5 of NLCS, SD Padres win pennant
- 08 Oct 1984 18th Country Music Association Award: Alabama wins
- 09 Oct 1984 Kathy Sullivan becomes 1st US woman to walk in space
- 11 Oct 1984 1st space walk by US woman (Dr Kathryn D Sullivan)
- 12 Oct 1984 IRA bombs hotel where Margaret Thatcher is staying, 5 die
- 13 Oct 1984 John Henry becomes first thoroughbred to win US$6 million.
- 14 Oct 1984 Quilters closes at Jack Lawrence Theater NYC after 24 performances
- 15 Oct 1984 Centrum party expels 2nd Member of parliament Janmaat due to fraud
- 16 Oct 1984 Baboon heart transplanted into a 15-day-old baby girl
- 17 Oct 1984 Nobel prize for chemistry awarded to Bruce Merrifield
- 18 Oct 1984 Discovery moves to Vandenberg AFB for mating of STS 51A mission
- 21 Oct 1984 Niki Lauda becomes 3rd time motor racing world champ
- 22 Oct 1984 Paul McCartney releases Give My Regards to Broad Street soundtrack
- 23 Oct 1984 Cubs Rick Sutcliffe, selected as a unanimous choice as NL Cy Young
- 24 Oct 1984 Steffi Graf plays her 1st pro tennis match
- 25 Oct 1984 Give My Regards to Broad Street premieres (Gotham Theater-NYC)
- 26 Oct 1984 "Baby Fae" gets baboon heart transplant, lives 21 days.
- 28 Oct 1984 15th NYC Marathon won by Orlando Pizzolato in 2:14:53
- 29 Oct 1984 Orlando Pizzolato (2:14:53) and Greta Weitz (2:29:30) win New York Marathon.
- 30 Oct 1984 Tigers reliever Willie Hernandez wins AL Cy Young Award
- 31 Oct 1984 Puerto Rican tanker, San Francisco explodes spilling 2 million gallons of oil as ship caught fire
- 01 Nov 1984 1st NBA game at LA Memorial Sports Arena - Clipper beat Knick, 107-105
- 02 Nov 1984 Velma Barfield, American convicted murderer (Born 1932)
- 03 Nov 1984 3,000 die in 3 day anti-Sikh riot in India
- 04 Nov 1984 Nayoko Yoshikawa wins LPGA Mazda Japan Golf Classic
- 06 Nov 1984 President Reagan (R) landslide (won 49 states) re-election over Mondale (D)
- 07 Nov 1984 STS 51-A launch scrubbed because of high shear winds
- 08 Nov 1984 Anna Fisher becomes 1st mom to go into orbit
- 09 Nov 1984 Larry Holmes TKOs Bonecrusher Smith in 12 for heavyweight boxing title
- 10 Nov 1984 Miami Hurricanes blow 31-0 lead in third quarter, lose to Maryland Terrapins 42-40.
- 11 Nov 1984 3 Musketeers opens at Broadway Theater NYC for 9 performances
- 12 Nov 1984 Paul McCartney releases We All Stand Together
- 13 Nov 1984 David Levy finds his 1st comet
- 14 Nov 1984 Astronauts aboard Discovery pluck a second satellite from orbit.
- 15 Nov 1984 Baby Fae, who received a baboon's heart, dies at California medical center.
- 16 Nov 1984 14th Shuttle Mission (51A) - Discovery 2 - lands at Kennedy Center.
- 17 Nov 1984 Golden State Warriors' player scores 59 points losing to New Jersey Nets 124-110.
- 18 Nov 1984 3 Musketeers closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 9 performances
- 19 Nov 1984 Liquid gas tank in Mexico City explodes; 334 die
- 20 Nov 1984 Mets pitcher Dwight Gooden wins NL Rookie of Year
- 23 Nov 1984 Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie throws a game-winning 48-yard Hail Mary pass to Gerard Phelan to defeat the University of Miami Hurricanes 45-41. It is one of the most famous plays in American college football history.
- 25 Nov 1984 Julio M Sanguinetti wins Uruguay presidential election
- 26 Nov 1984 After 518 goals and 14 years with Montreal Canadiens, Guy LaFleur retires
- 27 Nov 1984 Under the Brussels Agreement signed between the governments of the United Kingdom and Spain, the former agreed to enter into discussions with Spain over Gibraltar, including sovereignty.
- 28 Nov 1984 Over 250 years after their deaths, William Penn and his wife Hannah Callowhill Penn are made Honorary Citizens of the United States.
- 30 Nov 1984 December – A peace agreement between Kenya and Somalia is signed in the Egyptian capital Cairo. With this agreement, in which Somalia officially renounces its historical territorial claims, relations between the two countries began to improve.
- 01 Dec 1984 Greg Page knocks out Gerrie Coetzee in 8 rounds for WBA heavyweight boxing title.
- 02 Dec 1984 4th meeting of Giants-Jets, Giants even series at 2 with 20-10 win
- 03 Dec 1984 2,000 die from Union Carbide poison gas emission in Bhopal, India
- 04 Dec 1984 Hijackers commandeered a Kuwaiti airliner
- 05 Dec 1984 French colonies kill ten Kanaken in New Caledonia.
- 06 Dec 1984 Hijackers aboard Kuwaiti jetliner kill second hostage.
- 08 Dec 1984 Ringo appears on Saturday Night Live
- 09 Dec 1984 6 day hijack of Kuwaiti jet ends
- 10 Dec 1984 WNSY-AM in Newport News VA returns from WGH
- 11 Dec 1984 Doug Henning & His World... opens at Lunt-Fontanne NYC for 60 performances
- 12 Dec 1984 Maaouiya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya becomes the third president of Mauritania after a coup d'etat against Mohamed Khouna Ould Haidalla while the latter is attending a summit.
- 13 Dec 1984 Artificial heart recipient William Schroeder suffers first stroke.
- 14 Dec 1984 Nigeria recognizes the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR).
- 18 Dec 1984 73rd Davis Cup: Sweden beats USA in Gothenburg (4-1).
- 19 Dec 1984 China PR Premier Zhao Ziyang and Margaret Thatcher sign Hong Kong Treaty
- 20 Dec 1984 33 unknown keyboard (piano) works of Johann Sebastion Bach are found in the Yale library.
- 22 Dec 1984 Bernhard Goetz shoots 4 black muggers on NYC subway train
- 24 Dec 1984 Palace coup in Mauritania.
- 26 Dec 1984 Belgian princess Astrid marries arch duke Otto L van Austrian-Este.
- 28 Dec 1984 TV soap Edge of Night ends 28 year run
- 29 Dec 1984 5th United Negro College Fund
- 30 Dec 1984 Miss Elizabeth (Hulette) and Macho Man Randy Savage (Poffo) wed.
- 31 Dec 1984 US leaves UNESCO.