1986 was a memorable year for many reasons, particularly for space exploration, and sadly for mixed reasons. While humankind did make some advances in space, notably with NASA’s Voyager 2 passing by the icy planet Uranus, and with the launch of the Soviet Union’s space station, Mir, there was a major disaster that occurred this year.
1986 will unfortunately be remembered in no small part due to the Challenger disaster. On January 28th, NASA’s Space Shuttle Challenger broke apart over the Atlantic Ocean, less than two minutes after launching from Cape Canaveral, Florida, with no crewmembers surviving the crash.
In another disaster for the other major power in the Cold War, on April 26th, the Chernobyl disaster occurred at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, near Pripyat in what was at the time part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic of the Soviet Union. The explosion and fires caused unfathomable damage and killed thousands of people.
1986 was not all bad news, however. This was the year that Pixar Animation Studios opened in California, a company that would bring joy to millions with their films and animated creations. In television news, this was the year that The Oprah Winfrey Show premiered in syndication.
This was also a significant year for gamers, as Nintendo released The Legend of Zelda in Japan. This game would become an international sensation and, as part of Nintendo’s foundation, it would become a great gaming franchise, spanning decades. 1986 was also the year that Nintendo released Dragon Quest in Japan. This game would be released as Dragon Warrior in North America a few years later, after the localization process had been completed. This game is significant because it laid the foundation for the Role Playing Game (RPG) genre for gaming consoles.
1986 was also a big year for theatre and film. This was the year that The Phantom of the Operaopened in London. It holds the distinction of being the longest-running show in Broadway history. In film, Top Gun, Crocodile Dundee, Platoon, Aliens, and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off were all notable films this year.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 59th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1986?
Which were the most popular books released in 1986 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1986
- Elie Wiesel
- Wole Soyinka
- Ernst Ruska
- Gerd Binnig
- Heinrich Rohrer
- James M. Buchanan
- Dudley R. Herschbach
- Yuan T. Lee
- John Polanyi
Physiology or Medicine
- Stanley Cohen
- Rita Levi-Montalcini
Which were the top hits of 1986?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Boris Gardiner - I Want To Wake Up With You
- Berlin - Take My Breath Away (Love Theme From 'Top Gun')
- The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way
- Europe - The Final Countdown
- A-ha - The Sun Always Shines On TV
- Cliff Richard & The Young Ones - Living Doll
- Diana Ross - Chain Reaction
- Billy Ocean - When The Going Gets Tough (The Tough Get Going)
- Wham! - The Edge Of Heaven
- Madonna - Papa Don't Preach
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1986
- Total population: 5.0 billion (4,960,567,912 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.1 billion, that is 42.0% of the total population of 1986 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +89.6 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.84%
- Average density: 33.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1986?
- 01 Jan 1986 Barbra Striesand and Jon Peters relationship breaks up
- 02 Jan 1986 191.66 million shares traded in New York Stock Exchange
- 06 Jan 1986 STS 61-C scrubbed at T-31sec because of liquid oxygen valve problem
- 07 Jan 1986 Chicago Bears defeat New England Patriots 46-10 in Super Bowl XX
- 08 Jan 1986 US President Ronald Reagan freezes Libyan assets in the US.
- 09 Jan 1986 After losing a patent battle with Polaroid, Kodak leaves the instant picture camera business.
- 10 Jan 1986 STS 61-C mission scrubbed T -9m because of bad weather at Kennedy
- 11 Jan 1986 1st black lt gov since reconstruction sworn in (Douglas Wilder of Va)
- 12 Jan 1986 24th space shuttle mission STS 61-C Columbia 7 is launched with the first Hispanic-American astronaut, Dr. Franklin Chang-Diaz.
- 13 Jan 1986 NCCA institutes eligibility requirements based on college exams.
- 14 Jan 1986 Vinicio Cerezo becomes the second freely elected President of Guatemala since the US Central Intelligence Agency-sponsored coup in 1954.
- 15 Jan 1986 Living Seas opens (Disneyland)
- 16 Jan 1986 Police arrest three Irish Republican Army-terrorists in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- 17 Jan 1986 Tim Witherspoon beats Tony Tubbs in 15 to regain WBA heavyweight title.
- 18 Jan 1986 24th Space Shuttle (61-C) Mission - Columbia 7 - returns to Earth.
- 19 Jan 1986 Israeli premier Simon Peres visits Netherlands.
- 20 Jan 1986 1st federal holiday honoring Martin Luther King Jr
- 21 Jan 1986 Bomb attack in East-Beirut, 27 killed.
- 22 Jan 1986 Ghorbanifar 1st suggests diversion of cash to contras, says North
- 23 Jan 1986 Jerome Kern Goes to Hollywood opens at Ritz Theater NYC for 13 performances
- 24 Jan 1986 Voyager 2 makes 1st fly-by of Uranus (81,593 km), finds new moons
- 25 Jan 1986 The National Resistance Movement topples the government of Tito Okello in Uganda.
- 26 Jan 1986 Super Bowl XX: Chicago Bears beat New England Patriots, 46-10 in New Orleans, Louisiana; Most Valuable Player: Richard Dent, Defensive End.
- 27 Jan 1986 13th American Music Awards: Whitney Houston, Huey Lewis and Crystal Gayle.
- 28 Jan 1986 25th Space Shuttle mission (51L) - Challenger 10 explodes 73 seconds after liftoff. Killed are: Christa McAuliffe (teacher), Dr Judith Arlene Resnik, US Air Force Major Ellison S Onizuka, US Air Force Francis R Scobee, payload specialist Gregory B. Jarvis, US Navy Commander Michael J Smith, Ronald E McNair.
- 29 Jan 1986 193.8 million shares traded in New York Stock Exchange
- 31 Jan 1986 In Ohio, a magnitude 5.0 earthquake occurs.
- 01 Feb 1986 KHJ-AM in Los Angeles CA changes call letters to KRTH
- 02 Feb 1986 Jerome Kern Goes to Hollywood closes at Ritz NYC after 13 performances
- 03 Feb 1986 US President Ronald Reagan announces formation of Committee on Challenger Accident.
- 04 Feb 1986 Israeli fighters intercept Libyan airliner (passenger plane).
- 05 Feb 1986 Corazon Aquino and Ferdinand Marcos appear on Nightline
- 06 Feb 1986 New Jersey Devils' Peter McNab becomes the 42nd NHL player to score 350 goals.
- 07 Feb 1986 Philippine Corazon Aquino defeats incumbent dictator Ferdinand Marcos but fraudulent returns give the election to Marcos.
- 08 Feb 1986 US male Figure Skating championship won by Brian Boitano.
- 09 Feb 1986 Marvin Johnson wins record third time, light heavyweight boxing title.
- 10 Feb 1986 John Lennon: Live in NYC album is released
- 11 Feb 1986 Activist Anatoly Scharansky released by USSR, leaves country
- 15 Feb 1986 Philippines National Assembly authorizes 6 more years for Ferdinand Marcos
- 16 Feb 1986 French air force bombs Ouadi Doum airport in Chad
- 17 Feb 1986 Howard Stern radio show returns to NYC morning radio (WXRK 92.3 FM)
- 19 Feb 1986 USSR launches Mir space station into Earth orbit
- 20 Feb 1986 Mike Tyson sexually harasses a woman in Albany, New York
- 21 Feb 1986 AIDS patient Ryan White returns to classes at Western Middle School
- 22 Feb 1986 Start of the People Power Revolution in the Philippines.
- 23 Feb 1986 Mary Beth Zimmerman wins LPGA Standard Register / Samaritan Golf Classic
- 24 Feb 1986 Texas Air buys Eastern Airlines for US$676 million.
- 25 Feb 1986 28th Grammy Awards: "We Are the World", Sade, Phil Collins win.
- 26 Feb 1986 Evert van Benthem wins 14th Frisian 11-Cities skating race (6:55:16).
- 27 Feb 1986 The United States Senate allows its debates to be televised on a trial basis.
- 28 Feb 1986 European Economic Community signs "Special Act" for Europe free trade.
- 02 Mar 1986 Protesters try to stop Land Rover motor company being sold to US.
- 04 Mar 1986 The Soviet Vega 1 begins returning images of Halley's Comet and the first images of its nucleus.
- 06 Mar 1986 Georgia O'Keeffe, American painter (Flowers), dies at age 98 (born 1887).
- 07 Mar 1986 Wayne Gretzky breaks own NHL season record with 136th assist.
- 08 Mar 1986 Martina Navratilova is first tennis player to earn US$10 million.
- 09 Mar 1986 NASA announces searchers found remains of Challenger Astronauts
- 10 Mar 1986 Ernie Lombardi, National League Most Valuable Player in 1938, and Bobby Doerr, elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 11 Mar 1986 1 million days since traditional foundation of Rome, 4 / 21 / 753 BC
- 12 Mar 1986 210.25 million shares traded in New York Stock Exchange
- 13 Mar 1986 Soyuz T-15 carries 2 Cosmonauts to Soviet space station Mir
- 15 Mar 1986 Funeral services held for Swedish Prime Minister Olaf Palme.
- 16 Mar 1986 Chris Johnson wins LPGA GNA / Glendale Federal Golf Classic
- 17 Mar 1986 Haemers gang robs gold transport in Belgium of 35 million Belgian francs.
- 18 Mar 1986 US Treasury Department announces plans to alter paper money.
- 21 Mar 1986 199.22 million shares traded in New York Stock Exchange
- 22 Mar 1986 Ice Pairs Championship at Geneva won by Gordeeva and Grinkov (URS)
- 23 Mar 1986 6th Golden Raspberry Awards: Rambo; First Blood Part II wins.
- 24 Mar 1986 58th Academy Awards - Out of Africa, William Hurt and G Page win
- 25 Mar 1986 Kurt Browning (Canada) becomes 1st skater to land a quadruple jump
- 26 Mar 1986 Geffen records signs Guns and Roses
- 27 Mar 1986 Disney-MGM Studio Tour ground breaking
- 28 Mar 1986 John N McMahon, ends term as Deputy Director of CIA
- 30 Mar 1986 Tango Argentino closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 198 performances
- 31 Mar 1986 English Hampton Court palace destroyed by fire, 1 dead
- 01 Apr 1986 World oil prices dip below US$10 a barrel.
- 02 Apr 1986 NCAA adopts 3-point basketball rule (19 feet 9 inch distance).
- 03 Apr 1986 US national debt hits $2,000,000,000,000
- 04 Apr 1986 Wayne Gretzky sets NHL record with 213th point of season.
- 05 Apr 1986 Two US soldiers and a Turkish woman killed, 230 injured, in West Berlin discotheque bombing.
- 06 Apr 1986 15th Nabisco Dinah Shore Golf Championship won by Pat Bradley.
- 07 Apr 1986 Wrestlemania II at three locations, Hulk Hogan beats King Kong Bundy.
- 08 Apr 1986 Clint Eastwood elected Mayor of Carmel California, Make his day
- 09 Apr 1986 Dallas announces it will revive killed Bobby Ewing character
- 10 Apr 1986 Big Deal opens at Broadway Theater NYC for 70 performances
- 11 Apr 1986 A Canadain 1921 50 cent piece auctioned in NYC for $22,000
- 12 Apr 1986 20,000 mine workers protest closing of Hasselt Belgium mines.
- 13 Apr 1986 Patty Sheehan wins LPGA Kyocera Inamori Golf Classic.
- 14 Apr 1986 US aircraft attacks 5 terrorist locations in Libya
- 15 Apr 1986 US air raids Libya, responding to La Belle disco, Berlin bombing
- 16 Apr 1986 West Indies complete 5-0 demolition of England.
- 17 Apr 1986 Pulitzer prize awarded to Larry McMurtry for Lonesome Dove
- 18 Apr 1986 Titan rocket explodes seconds after liftoff from Vandenberg Air Force Base.
- 19 Apr 1986 Michael Spinks beats Larry Holmes in 15 rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
- 20 Apr 1986 Vladimir Horowitz performs in his Russian homeland
- 21 Apr 1986 Bob Hering sets Formula One power boat record (165.338 mph, Arizona).
- 22 Apr 1986 Consumer Price Index drops .04% for 2nd month in a row
- 23 Apr 1986 Grand Floridian Beach Resort groundbreaking
- 25 Apr 1986 ETA bomb attacks Madrid killing 5
- 26 Apr 1986 Actor / body builder Arnold Schwarzenegger weds newscaster Maria Shriver
- 27 Apr 1986 Sweet Charity opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 368 performances
- 28 Apr 1986 The United States Navy aircraft carrier USS Enterprise becomes the first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier to transit the Suez Canal, navigating from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean Sea to relieve the USS Coral Sea.
- 29 Apr 1986 Boston Red Sox Roger Clemens strikes out 20 Seattle Mariners
- 30 Apr 1986 Ashrita Furman peforms 8,341 somersaults over 12 miles.
- 01 May 1986 Bill Elliott sets stock car speed record of 212.229 mph.
- 02 May 1986 Dynamo Kiev wins 26th Europe Cup II.
- 03 May 1986 New York Yankees' Don Mattingly is sixth to hit three sacrifice flies in a game.
- 04 May 1986 President Babrak Karmal resigns as party leader of Afghanistan.
- 06 May 1986 Donald E Pelotte becomes first native American bishop.
- 07 May 1986 In Andreanof Islands, Alaska, a magnitude 7.9 earthquake occurs. Tsunami generated with observed wave heights up to 175 cm.
- 08 May 1986 Óscar Arias is inaugurated into his first term as President of Costa Rica.
- 11 May 1986 Muffin Spencer-Devlin wins LPGA United Virginia Bank Golf Classic.
- 12 May 1986 Bicycle is pedaled 65 mph
- 14 May 1986 Institute for War documents publishes Anne Frank's complete diary.
- 15 May 1986 Argentine ex-President Galtieri sentenced to 12 years.
- 16 May 1986 Top Gun, premieres
- 17 May 1986 Chicken Song by Spitting Image hit #1 on the UK pop chart
- 18 May 1986 David Goch finishes swimming 55,682 miles in a 25-yard pool.
- 20 May 1986 Flintstones 25th Anniversary Celebration airs on CBS-tv
- 21 May 1986 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 22 May 1986 Cher called David Letterman an asshole on Late Night on NBC
- 23 May 1986 US and West Europeans veto heavier sanctions against South Africa.
- 24 May 1986 Reginald Huffstetler treds water for 985 hours.
- 25 May 1986 30,000,000 watch Live Aid, a massive benefit concert
- 26 May 1986 The European Community adopts the European flag.
- 27 May 1986 Norway Showcase groundbreaking
- 28 May 1986 Democratic Labor Party wins parliamentary election in Barbados.
- 29 May 1986 59th National Spelling Bee: Jon Pennington wins spelling "odontalgia".
- 30 May 1986 Bobby Rahal is first to average over 170 mph in the Indianapolis 500.
- 01 Jun 1986 32nd LPGA Championship won by Pat Bradley
- 02 Jun 1986 Regular TV coverage of US Senate sessions begins.
- 03 Jun 1986 Battles in Beirut; 53 killed
- 04 Jun 1986 Jonathan Pollard, spy for Israel, pleads guilty in US court to espionage for selling top secret United States military intelligence.
- 05 Jun 1986 SD Padre Steve Garvey ejected for 1st time
- 06 Jun 1986 Kathy Ormsby, a 21-year-old member of the North Carolina State track team jumps off a bridge permanently paralyzing herself.
- 07 Jun 1986 118th Belmont: Chris McCarron aboard Danzig Connect wins in 2:29.8
- 08 Jun 1986 Big Deal closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 70 performances
- 09 Jun 1986 20th Music City News Country Awards: Statler Brothers and Loretta Lynn
- 11 Jun 1986 Amnesty International megaconcert
- 12 Jun 1986 P W Botha declares South African national emergency.
- 13 Jun 1986 US President Ronald Reagan criticizes South African state of emergency.
- 15 Jun 1986 86th US Golf Open: Ray Floyd shoots a 279 at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club - New York
- 16 Jun 1986 1 day general strike in South Africa
- 17 Jun 1986 US Chief Justice Warren Earl Burger resigns; Antonin Scalia nominated.
- 18 Jun 1986 52 die in plane / helicopter collision over Grand Canyon
- 19 Jun 1986 Len Bias, American basketball player (Boston Celtics), suffers fatal cocaine-induced seizure (born 1963).
- 20 Jun 1986 Jim Fregosi replaces Tony LaRussa as White Sox manager
- 21 Jun 1986 Living on Video by Trans-X peaks at #61
- 22 Jun 1986 Judy Dickinson wins LPGA Rochester Golf International
- 23 Jun 1986 Pedro Morales swims world record 100m butterfly (52.84)
- 24 Jun 1986 US Senate approves tax reform
- 25 Jun 1986 Former Belgium Premier Vanden Boeynants sentenced for fraud
- 27 Jun 1986 World Court rules US aid to Nicaraguan contras illegal.
- 28 Jun 1986 Irish population condemns divorce
- 29 Jun 1986 Argentina becomes world champion soccer team (3-2 against W-Germany)
- 30 Jun 1986 Georgia sodomy law upheld by Supreme Court (5-4)
- 01 Jul 1986 CSX Transportation is established.
- 02 Jul 1986 After 14 wins, Roger Clemens suffer his 1st loss of year
- 03 Jul 1986 U.S. President Ronald Reagan presides over the relighting of the renovated Statue of Liberty.
- 05 Jul 1986 93rd Wimbledon Womens Tennis: M Navratilova beats H Mandlikova (76 63)
- 06 Jul 1986 100th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Boris Becker beats Ivan Lendl (64 63 75)
- 07 Jul 1986 IBM-PC DOS Version 3.2 (updated) released
- 08 Jul 1986 Zimbabwe beats Netherlands by 25 runs to win ICC Trophy
- 09 Jul 1986 Padres trade pitcher Tim Stoddard to Yankees for pitcher Ed Whitson
- 11 Jul 1986 Mary Beth Whitehead christens surrogate Baby M, Sara
- 13 Jul 1986 In the California - Mexico border region, a magnitude 5.3 earthquake occurs.
- 14 Jul 1986 10 killed and 60 injured at ETA-bomb attack in Madrid
- 15 Jul 1986 57th All Star Baseball Game: AL wins 3-2 at Astrodome, Houston
- 17 Jul 1986 Emmy 13th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 7th time
- 18 Jul 1986 115th British Golf Open: Greg Norman shoots a 280 at Turnberry Scotld
- 19 Jul 1986 Indian pitcher Phil Niekro wins his 307th game tying him with
- 20 Jul 1986 Jane Geddes wins LPGA Boston Five Golf Classic
- 21 Jul 1986 Barbara Palacios Teyde, 22, of Venezuela, crowned 35th Miss Universe
- 22 Jul 1986 House of Representatives impeaches Judge Harry E Claiborne on tax evasion.
- 23 Jul 1986 King Hassan II meets with Israeli Premier Simon Peres
- 24 Jul 1986 San Francisco Federal jury convicts navy radioman Jerry Whitworth of espionage.
- 25 Jul 1986 Sikhs extremist kill 16 hindus in Muhktsar India
- 26 Jul 1986 Lebanese kidnappers released Reverend Lawrence Martin Jenco.
- 27 Jul 1986 14th du Maurier Golf Classic: Pat Bradley
- 28 Jul 1986 Bomb attack in East Beirut, 25 killed
- 29 Jul 1986 Bomb attack in West-Beirut, 30 killed
- 01 Aug 1986 Bert Blyleven becomes 10th pitcher to strike out 3,000
- 02 Aug 1986 TODAY / PC born today
- 03 Aug 1986 Amy Alcott wins LPGA National Golf Pro-Am
- 04 Aug 1986 OPEC lowers oil production 20%
- 05 Aug 1986 Steve Carlton is 2nd to pitch 4,000 strikeout
- 06 Aug 1986 Phil Katz releases PKARC version 1.0, for IBM
- 07 Aug 1986 Honky Tonk Nights opens at Biltmore Theater NYC for 4 performances
- 08 Aug 1986 Record 3 grandslams in a game- (Harrah-Tex, Sheets & Dwyer-Orioles)
- 09 Aug 1986 Honky Tonk Nights closes at Biltmore Theater NYC after 4 performances
- 10 Aug 1986 Me & My Girl opens at Marquis Theater NYC for 1420 performances
- 11 Aug 1986 68th PGA Championship: Bob Tway shoots a 276 at Inverness Club Toledo
- 12 Aug 1986 Don Baylor gets hits by a pitch for a record 25th time in a season.
- 13 Aug 1986 KRE-AM in Berkeley CA changes call letters to KBLX (now KBFN)
- 14 Aug 1986 Pakistani opposition leader Benazir Bhutto arrested
- 15 Aug 1986 US President Ronald Reagan decides to support a replacement for the space shuttle Challenger.
- 17 Aug 1986 Cindy Mackey wins LPGA MasterCard International Golf Pro-Am
- 18 Aug 1986 Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in Philadelphia PA on WYSP 94.1 FM
- 19 Aug 1986 Car bomb kills 20 in Tehran Iran
- 20 Aug 1986 Mail carrier Patrick Sherrill, Edmond Ok, shot 14 fellow workers dead
- 21 Aug 1986 Rags opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 4 performances
- 22 Aug 1986 Gas from Volcano Chamberoen kills 1,734 (Cameroon)
- 23 Aug 1986 Rags closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 4 performances
- 24 Aug 1986 Juli Inkster wins Atlantic City LPGA Golf Classic
- 26 Aug 1986 Rosa Mota wins Stuttgart female marathon (2:28:38)
- 27 Aug 1986 Emmy News and Documentaries Award presentation
- 28 Aug 1986 Bolivia President Victor Paz Estensoro calls state of siege
- 29 Aug 1986 Morocco King Hassan II signs unity treaty with Libya
- 30 Aug 1986 Gelindo Bordin wins Stuttgart marathon (2:10:54)
- 31 Aug 1986 Russian cargo ship crashes into cruise ship Admiral Nakhimov; 398 die
- 01 Sep 1986 Betsy King wins LPGA Rail Charity Golf Classic
- 02 Sep 1986 Cathy Evelyn Smith sentenced to three years for death of John Belushi.
- 03 Sep 1986 Astros and Cubs use a record 53 players in an 18 inning game
- 04 Sep 1986 189.42 million shares traded in New York Stock Exchange
- 05 Sep 1986 3rd MTV Awards: Whitney Houston wins
- 06 Sep 1986 Attack on synagogue in Istanbul, 23 killed
- 07 Sep 1986 100th US Womens Tennis: M Navratilova beats Helena Sukova (63 62)
- 08 Sep 1986 Westinghouse sells Muzak
- 09 Sep 1986 At the Palladium in Manhattan, New York, Compaq Computer introduces the Compaq Deskpro 386, the first 80386-based personal computer offered by a major computer manufacturer. The Model 40 features a 16 MHz Intel 80386 and 40 MB hard drive, for US$6449. The Model 130 has a 130 MB hard drive, for US$8799.
- 10 Sep 1986 Bryan O'Connor named chairman of US Space Flight Safety Panel.
- 11 Sep 1986 President Mubarak receives Israeli Premier Peres
- 12 Sep 1986 240.49 million shares traded in New York Stock Exchange
- 13 Sep 1986 Kellye Cash (Tenn), 21, crowned 60th Miss America 1987
- 14 Sep 1986 Bomb attack in Paris, 2 killed
- 15 Sep 1986 1st broadcast of LA Law on NBC-TV
- 16 Sep 1986 Fire in Kinross gold mine, Transvaal South Africa, 177 killed
- 17 Sep 1986 Bomb attack in Paris, 6 killed
- 18 Sep 1986 Motorola announces the Motorola 68030 microprocessor. It incorporates about 300,000 transistors.
- 19 Sep 1986 Captain EO with Michael Jackson premieres
- 20 Sep 1986 Wichita State Shockers blow a 35-3 lead; lose 36-35 to Morehead State.
- 21 Sep 1986 38th Emmy Awards: Golden Girls, Cagney and Lacey and Michael J Fox win
- 22 Sep 1986 35 countries signs disarmament accord in Stockholm
- 23 Sep 1986 Astro Jim Deshaies strikes out 1st 8 Dodger of game (ends with 10)
- 25 Sep 1986 Antonin Scalia appointed to Supreme Court
- 26 Sep 1986 William Hubbs Rehnquist, sworn in as Chief Justice of Supreme Court
- 27 Sep 1986 US Senate joins House of Representatives voting for sweeping tax reforms.
- 28 Sep 1986 Tight end Brian Foster of RI catches NCAA record 18 passes for 327 yards
- 29 Sep 1986 Airwolf, TV Adventure
- 30 Sep 1986 US releases Soviet spy Gennadiy Zakharov.
- 01 Oct 1986 U.S. President Ronald Reagan signs the Goldwater-Nichols Act into law, making official the largest reorganization of the United States Department of Defense since the Air Force was made a separate branch of service in 1947.
- 02 Oct 1986 Failed assassination attempt on India Premier Rajiv Gandhi
- 03 Oct 1986 Baltimore loses assuring Orioles of their 1st last-place finish
- 04 Oct 1986 New York Yank Dave Righetti saves doubleheader for then record 46 saves
- 05 Oct 1986 London Sunday Times reports Israel is stocking nuclear arms.
- 06 Oct 1986 Russian nuclear sub sinks in Atlantic Ocean
- 07 Oct 1986 1st edition British newspaper Independent begins publishing
- 08 Oct 1986 RUN DMC calls for a day of peace among LA street gangs
- 09 Oct 1986 Phantom of the Opera premeires in London
- 10 Oct 1986 7.5 Earthquake strikes San Salvador, El Salvador
- 11 Oct 1986 Reagan and Gorbachev open talks at a summit in Reykjavik, Iceland
- 12 Oct 1986 California Angels, within one pitch of pennant victory lose to Boston Red Sox.
- 13 Oct 1986 20th Country Music Association Award
- 14 Oct 1986 IOC decides to stagger Winter and Summer Olympic schedule
- 15 Oct 1986 Longest post-season game, New York Mets beat Houston Astros 7-6 in 16 innings and win National League pennant.
- 16 Oct 1986 Raggedy Ann opens at Nederlander Theater NYC for 5 performances
- 17 Oct 1986 Yitzak Rabin forms Israeli government
- 19 Oct 1986 Flamenco Puro opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 40 performances
- 20 Oct 1986 Tupolev-134 crashes in Southern Africa
- 21 Oct 1986 IBM re-forms in South Africa
- 22 Oct 1986 Into the Light opens at Neil Simon Theater NYC for 6 performances
- 24 Oct 1986 Great Britain drops diplomatic relations with Syria
- 25 Oct 1986 Trailing 5-3 with 2 out and no one on in bottom of 10th, New York rallies to win Game 6 of the World Series, 6-5, Bill Buckner misplays a ball
- 26 Oct 1986 Into the Light closes at Neil Simon Theater NYC after 6 performances
- 27 Oct 1986 New York Mets beat Boston Red Sox, 4 games to 3 in 83rd World Series
- 28 Oct 1986 KOB-AM in Albuquerque NM changes call letters to KKOB
- 29 Oct 1986 Kirk Muller scores New Jersey Devil record 6 point, beat Penguins, 8-6
- 30 Oct 1986 Discovery moves to OPF where more than 200 modification are made
- 01 Nov 1986 Fire in Sandoz-factory Basel, 30 tons of chemicals in the Rhine
- 02 Nov 1986 17th NYC Marathon won by Gianni Poli in 2:11:06
- 03 Nov 1986 Federated States of Micronesia signs Compact of Free Association with US
- 04 Nov 1986 Democrats regain control of the United States Senate for the first time in six years.
- 05 Nov 1986 USS Rentz, USS Reeves and USS Oldendorf visit Qingdao (Tsing Tao) China -- the first US Naval visit to China since 1949.
- 06 Nov 1986 Rev Donald Wildmon begins a campaign against Howard Stern
- 08 Nov 1986 Song & Dance closes at Royale Theater NYC after 474 performances
- 09 Nov 1986 Ai-Yu Tu wins LPGA Mazda Japan Golf Classic
- 10 Nov 1986 Bangladesh Constitution restored
- 11 Nov 1986 Suriname government proclaims gold purification
- 12 Nov 1986 Roger Clemens wins AL Cy Young Award unanimously
- 13 Nov 1986 Giselle Jeanne-Marie LaRonde of Trinidad, 23, crowned 36th Miss World
- 14 Nov 1986 Doubleday Publishing sells New York Mets to Nelson Doubleday and Fred Wilpon
- 15 Nov 1986 2nd time Saturday Night Live uses a time delay (Sam Knison hosts)
- 17 Nov 1986 Oh Coward! opens at Helen Hayes Theater NYC for 56 performances
- 18 Nov 1986 Roger Clemens wins AL MVP
- 19 Nov 1986 Phillies 3rd baseman Mike Schmidt wins NL MVP
- 20 Nov 1986 Afghanistan President Babrak Karmal flees
- 21 Nov 1986 Central African Republic adopts constitution
- 22 Nov 1986 Wayne Gretzky, of Edmonton Oilers, became 13th NHL player to score 500 goals.
- 24 Nov 1986 Smile opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 48 performances
- 25 Nov 1986 Iran-Contra affair erupts, President Reagan reveals secret arm deal
- 26 Nov 1986 U.S. President Ronald Reagan announces that former Senator John Tower, former Secretary of State Edmund Muskie, and former National Security Adviser Brent Scowcroft will serve as members of the Special Review Board looking into the Iran-Contra arms scandal (they became known as the Tower Commission). Reagan denies involvement in the scandal.
- 28 Nov 1986 Hilbert van der Duim skates 1 hour world record 39.4928 km
- 30 Nov 1986 Flamenco Puro closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 40 performances
- 01 Dec 1986 Paul McCartney releases Only Love Remains
- 02 Dec 1986 Dow-Jones index hits record 1955.57
- 03 Dec 1986 Sri Lanka all out 55 versus West Indies in one-dayer Walsh 5-1 in four 3 overs.
- 04 Dec 1986 NASA launches Fltsatcom-7.
- 06 Dec 1986 52nd Heisman Trophy Award: Vinny Testaverde, Miami Florida (quarterback).
- 07 Dec 1986 Juli Inkster / Tom Purtzer wins LPGA J C Penney Golf Classic
- 08 Dec 1986 US House Democrats select majority leader Jim Wright as 48th speaker.
- 10 Dec 1986 Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel accepts 1986 Nobel Peace Prize.
- 11 Dec 1986 South Africa censors press.
- 12 Dec 1986 Russian Tupolev-134 crashes in East Berlin, 70 killed.
- 14 Dec 1986 Voyager experimental aircraft, piloted by Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager, takes off from Edwards Air Force Base, California on first non-stop, non-refueled flight around the world.
- 15 Dec 1986 CIA director William Casey suffers a cerebral seizure
- 16 Dec 1986 Revolt in Kazakhstan against Communist Party of Kazakhstan, known as Zheltoksan, which becomes the first sign of ethnic strife during Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev's tenure
- 17 Dec 1986 US Congress forms "Irangate" committee.
- 18 Dec 1986 Mr Gates, serves as acting Director of CIA
- 19 Dec 1986 USSR frees dissident Andrei Sakharov from internal exile
- 20 Dec 1986 White teenagers beat blacks in Howard Beach, New York
- 21 Dec 1986 Amy Alcott / Bob Charles wins LPGA Mazda Golf Championship
- 23 Dec 1986 Rutan andYeager make 1st around-the-world flight without refueling
- 24 Dec 1986 French hostage Aurel Cornea, held in Lebanon for 9 months, released.
- 26 Dec 1986 Captured Iraqi Airways Boeing-737 in Saudi Arabia, about 60 killed
- 27 Dec 1986 Les Miserables opens at Kennedy Center, Washington DC
- 28 Dec 1986 Pat Davis, ranked 412th among world tennis competitors, wins Davis Cup.
- 30 Dec 1986 US begins military exercises in Honduras.
- 31 Dec 1986 Dupont Plaza Hotel fire in San Juan, Puerto Rico kills 97