Characterized by big hair bands and great socioeconomic change, the 1980s laid the foundation for many things we now take for granted.
While 1983 follows many of these trends, the year possesses some notable events all its own. To set the scene, imagine a year with a population of just under 4.7 billion and a lot of babies named Michael or Jennifer. Stephen King’s horror novelsChristine and Pet Sematary dominated the bookshelves and The Color Purple took home the Pulitzer.
On the big screen, Flashdance, Star Wars Episode VI, Scarface, and A Christmas Story garnered the highest ticket sales.
In the world of music, David Bowie hit the number one chart with his single ‘“Let’s Dance”. In 1983, while we gained Carrie Underwood and Amy Winehouse, we lost both playwright Tennessee Williams and professional boxer Jack Dempsey. Outside of media and births, 1983 offered plenty of interesting events.
The year was marked by a variety of firsts: Sally Ride became the first woman in space. The UK introduced its first one pound coin. The US Congress initiated its War Powers Act for the first time. India launched its first rocket. The world also saw its first reconstruction of the human head via a CT scan.
In 1963, the Supreme Court also struck down many abortion restrictions. In a bit less of a controversial move, the US government established Martin Luther King Jr Day. To allow Japanese families to take a different kind of holiday, Tokyo opened its own version of Disneyland on April 15th. In one of the world’s biggest illusion acts, David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty vanish in front of an audience on April 8th. Basically, whether you love Flashdance or have been helped by a CT scan, 1983 had plenty to offer the world.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 56th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Terms of Endearment
James L. Brooks
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1983?
Which were the most popular books released in 1983 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1983
- Lech Wałęsa
- William Golding
- Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
- William Alfred Fowler
- Gérard Debreu
- Henry Taube
Physiology or Medicine
- Barbara McClintock
Which were the top hits of 1983?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Irene Cara - Flashdance...What A Feeling
- The Police - Every Breath You Take
- Kenny Rogers - Islands In The Stream
- Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
- Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart
- Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
- Michael Jackson - Beat It
- Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
- David Bowie - Let's Dance
- Patti Austin - Baby, Come To Me
Top #1 songs in the UK
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1983
- Total population: 4.7 billion (4,699,569,304 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.9 billion, that is 41.0% of the total population of 1983 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +82.2 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.78%
- Average density: 32.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1983?
- 01 Jan 1983 World Communications Year begins
- 02 Jan 1983 Annie closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 2,377 performances
- 03 Jan 1983 Kilauea begins slowly erupting on the Big Island of Hawaii and is still flowing as of 2008.
- 04 Jan 1983 US Football League holds its first player draft.
- 07 Jan 1983 US President Ronald Reagan ends US arms embargo against Guatemala.
- 08 Jan 1983 A riot breaks out at Sing Sing prison, New York.
- 09 Jan 1983 British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher visits the Falkland Islands.
- 10 Jan 1983 New York Supreme Court issues a preliminary injunction barring New York Yankees from playing season-opening series against Detroit Tigers in Denver, Colorado.
- 12 Jan 1983 NCAA creates the football Kickoff Classic to begin in August.
- 15 Jan 1983 Javed Miandad and Mudassar Nazar make 451 stand versus India.
- 17 Jan 1983 10th American Music Awards: Kenny Rogers.
- 18 Jan 1983 The International Olympic Committee restores Jim Thorpe's Olympic medals to his family.
- 19 Jan 1983 Klaus Barbie, SS chief of Lyon in Nazi-France, arrested in Bolivia
- 21 Jan 1983 Bollingen Prize for poetry awarded to Anthony E Hecht.
- 22 Jan 1983 Houston is 1st NBA team to be held scoreless in an overtime Portland Trail Blazers out score them 17-0 and win 113-96
- 23 Jan 1983 A-Team with Mr T premieres on NBC
- 24 Jan 1983 George Cukor, American film director, dies of stroke and heart attack at age 83 (born 1899).
- 25 Jan 1983 Infrared telescope satellite launched into polar orbit
- 26 Jan 1983 Dutch / British infrared satellite IRAS launched from California
- 27 Jan 1983 The pilot shaft of the Seikan Tunnel, the world's longest sub-aqueous tunnel (53.85 km) between the Japanese islands of Honshu and Hokkaido, breaks through.
- 29 Jan 1983 40th Golden Globes: Gandhi, ET and Tootsie win.
- 30 Jan 1983 Hilbert van Thumb becomes European skating champion.
- 02 Feb 1983 Chicago Absp Joseph L Bernardin is among 18 new cardinals invested
- 03 Feb 1983 US female Figure Skating championship won by Rosalynn Sumners.
- 04 Feb 1983 Jose Happart becomes Mayor of Voeren Belgium
- 05 Feb 1983 Former Nazi Gestapo official Klaus Barbie brought to trial
- 06 Feb 1983 Nancy Lopez wins LPGA Elizabeth Arden Golf Classic.
- 07 Feb 1983 1st female secretary of transportation sworn-in (Elizabeth Dole)
- 08 Feb 1983 Wayne Gretzky sets NHL all star record of four goals in one period.
- 09 Feb 1983 Belgium buys 44 F-16 fighter jets.
- 10 Feb 1983 Anglican synod vote 338-100 against unilateral United Kingdom nuclear disarmament.
- 11 Feb 1983 Weird Al Yankovic records Ricky andBuckingham Blues debut LP
- 13 Feb 1983 Merlin opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 199 performances
- 14 Feb 1983 United American Bank of Knoxville, Tennessee collapses. Its president, Jake Butcher is later convicted of fraud.
- 16 Feb 1983 Nellie massacre: over 2,000 people, mostly Bangladeshi Muslims, are massacred in Assam, India, during the Assam agitation.
- 17 Feb 1983 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 18 Feb 1983 NBA Indiana Pacers begin a 28 game road losing streak
- 19 Feb 1983 Vladimir Salnikov (USSR) sets 400-metre freestyle swimming record.
- 20 Feb 1983 Japan launches Tenma satellite to study x-rays (450 / 570 km)
- 21 Feb 1983 NBA San Diego Clippers begin a 29-game road losing streak.
- 22 Feb 1983 Hindus kill 3000 Muslims in Assam, India.
- 23 Feb 1983 US immigration judge Gordon Sacks orders Feodor Fedorenko deported to the Soviet Union, his birthplace. Fedorenko had served as a guard in a German death camp in Treblinka, Poland, between 1942 and 1945.
- 24 Feb 1983 A special commission of the Congress of the United States releases a report critical of the practice of Japanese internment during World War II.
- 26 Feb 1983 Shortwave pirate Radio USA (Wellsville, NY) begins transmission
- 27 Feb 1983 Eamonn Coghlan sets indoor mile record of 3:49.78.
- 28 Feb 1983 Final TV episode of MASH airs (CBS); record 125 million watch.
- 01 Mar 1983 Tamara McKinney becomes first US woman skier to win the World Cup.
- 02 Mar 1983 Final episode of M*A*S*H; 125,000,000 viewers
- 04 Mar 1983 Bertha Wilson is appointed the first woman to sit on the Supreme Court of Canada.
- 05 Mar 1983 New South Wales beats Western Australia by 54 runs to win Sheffield Shield.
- 06 Mar 1983 On Your Toes opens at Virginia Theater NYC for 505 performances
- 07 Mar 1983 TNN (The Nashville Network) begins on Cable TV.
- 08 Mar 1983 IBM releases PC DOS version 2.0
- 09 Mar 1983 Anne Burford resigns as head of the United States Environmental Protection Agency amid scandal.
- 10 Mar 1983 Walter Alston, Los Angeles Dodgers manager, elected to Hall of Fame.
- 11 Mar 1983 Ice Dance Championship at Helsinki Finland won by Torvill and Dean (GRB)
- 12 Mar 1983 Don Ritchie runs world record 50 mile (4:01:09).
- 13 Mar 1983 Woman of the Year closes at Palace Theater NYC after 770 performances
- 15 Mar 1983 JosT Luis Sert, Spanish-US architect/urban developer, dies at age 80.
- 16 Mar 1983 Smallest crowd (1814) at Cleveland Coliseum for NBA game, Cleveland Caviliers versus New Jersey Nets.
- 17 Mar 1983 70th hat trick in New York Islanders' history-Mike Bossy.
- 21 Mar 1983 Only known typo on Time Magazine cover ("contol" instead of "control"), all recalled.
- 22 Mar 1983 Chaim Herzog elected Israeli president.
- 23 Mar 1983 US President Ronald Reagan introduces Star Wars-plan (SDI)
- 24 Mar 1983 The redesigned 1984 model Corvette sports car goes on sale in California, USA.
- 25 Mar 1983 Pavel Pegov skates world record 1000 metre (1:12.58).
- 26 Mar 1983 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 27 Mar 1983 13th Easter Seal Telethon
- 31 Mar 1983 Earthquake in Colombia kills some 5,000 people
- 01 Apr 1983 Anti-nuke demonstrators link arms in 14-mile human chain in England.
- 03 Apr 1983 12th Nabisco Dinah Shore Golf Championship won by Amy Alcott.
- 04 Apr 1983 6th space shuttle mission, Challenger 1 launched.
- 05 Apr 1983 France throws out 47 Soviet diplomats.
- 06 Apr 1983 Caps 2-Isles 5 - Patrick Division Semifinals - Isles hold 1-0 lead
- 07 Apr 1983 Caps 4-Isles 2 - Patrick Division Semifinals - series tied 1-1
- 09 Apr 1983 6th Space Shuttle Mission-Challenger 1 returns to Earth.
- 10 Apr 1983 Caps 3-Isles 6 - Patrick Division Semifinals - Isles win series 3-2
- 11 Apr 1983 3rd Golden Raspberry Awards: Inchon! wins
- 13 Apr 1983 Undefeated middleweight boxer Tony Ayala gets 35 years on sex assault
- 14 Apr 1983 Isles tie own rec with 2 shorthanded playoff goals in a pd vs. Ranger
- 15 Apr 1983 Rangers 0-Isles 5 - Patrick Division Finals - Isles hold 2-0 lead
- 16 Apr 1983 Steve Garvey sets NL record by playing in 1,118 consecutive games
- 17 Apr 1983 In Warsaw, Poland, police route 1,000 Solidarity supporters.
- 18 Apr 1983 A lone suicide bomber kills 63, at US Embassy in Lebanon
- 20 Apr 1983 President Reagan signs a $165B bail out for Social Security
- 21 Apr 1983 Soyuz T-8 is launched [04-20?]
- 22 Apr 1983 Rangers 2-Isles 5 - Patrick Division Finals - Isles win series 4-2
- 24 Apr 1983 Show Boat opens at Uris Theater NYC for 73 performances
- 25 Apr 1983 Yuri Andropov invites US schoolgirl Samantha Smith to USSR
- 26 Apr 1983 Bruins 2-Isles 5-Wales Conference Championship-Isles hold 1-0 lead
- 27 Apr 1983 Nolan Ryan becomes strikeout King (3,509), passing Walter Johnson
- 28 Apr 1983 Bruins 4-Isles 1-Wales Conference Championship-Series tied 1-1
- 30 Apr 1983 Bruins 3-Isles 7-Wales Conference Championship-Isles hold 2-1 lead
- 01 May 1983 My One & Only opens at St. James Theater NYC for 767 performances
- 02 May 1983 6.7 earthquake injures 487 in Coalinga, California
- 03 May 1983 Bruins 3-Isles 8-Wales Conference Championship-Isles hold 3-1 lead
- 05 May 1983 Bruins 5-Isles 1-Wales Conference Championship-Isles hold 3-2 lead
- 06 May 1983 The Hitler diaries are revealed as a hoax after examination by experts.
- 07 May 1983 August Hoffman performs record 29,051 consecutive sit-ups.
- 08 May 1983 Janet Coles wins LPGA Lady Michelob Golf Tournament.
- 09 May 1983 18th Academy of Country Music Awards: Alabama and Willie Nelson win.
- 10 May 1983 Laverne & Shirley, last airs on ABC-TV
- 11 May 1983 Dance a Little Closer opens and closes at Minskoff Theater, New York City
- 12 May 1983 Julie Lynne Hayek, (California), crowned 32nd Miss USA
- 13 May 1983 Reggie Jackson is first major league player to strike out 2,000 times.
- 14 May 1983 She Blinded Me with Science by Thomas Dolby hits #5
- 15 May 1983 Madison Hotel (Boston, Massachusetts) destroyed by implosion.
- 16 May 1983 Lebanese parliament accepts peace accord with Israel.
- 17 May 1983 Israel and Lebanon sign a peace treaty
- 18 May 1983 US Senate revises immigration laws, gives millions of illegal aliens legal status under an amnesty program.
- 19 May 1983 Weird Al Yankovic gives live performance at Wax Museum in Washington DC
- 20 May 1983 Larry Holmes beats Tim Witherspoon in 12 rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
- 21 May 1983 Bang The Drum All Day by Todd Rundgren hits #63
- 22 May 1983 Toronto Blue Jays' Cliff Johnson hits record 18th pinch hit homerun.
- 23 May 1983 Radio Moscow announcer Vladimir Danchev praises Afghanistan Muslims standing up to Russia; he is removed from the air.
- 24 May 1983 US Supreme Court rules government can deny tax breaks to schools that racially discriminate against students.
- 25 May 1983 Return of the Jedi (Star Wars VI) released to theaters.
- 26 May 1983 Challenger moves to launch pad for STS-7
- 27 May 1983 Former EPA official Rita Lavelle indicted for contempt of US Congress.
- 28 May 1983 Ricky by Weird Al Yankovic hits #63
- 29 May 1983 Patty Sheehan wins LPGA Corning Golf Classic.
- 30 May 1983 Surrey all out for 14 versus Essex, their lowest score ever.
- 31 May 1983 37th NBA Championship: Philadelphia 76ers sweep Los Angeles Lakers in four games.
- 02 Jun 1983 1980 movie Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, released in Germany
- 04 Jun 1983 53rd French Womens Tennis: Chris Evert beats Mima Jausovec (61 62)
- 05 Jun 1983 37th Tony Awards: Torch Song Trilogy and Cats win
- 06 Jun 1983 17th Music City News Country Awards: Marty Robbins and Roy Acuff
- 07 Jun 1983 Steve Carlton of the Philadelphia Phillies strikes out Lonnie Smith for his 3,522nd career strikeout to pass Nolan Ryan as the all-time strikeout leader.
- 08 Jun 1983 Trading Places, Ghostbusters, and Gremlins premieres
- 09 Jun 1983 56th National Spelling Bee: Blake Giddens wins spelling purim
- 10 Jun 1983 Texas Instruments announces that poor sales of TI 99/4A computers, software, and peripherals would result in a second quarter loss of US$100 million. The news drives the company's stock price down almost US$50.
- 11 Jun 1983 Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes peaks at #8
- 12 Jun 1983 29th LPGA Championship won by Patty Sheehan
- 13 Jun 1983 ''Pioneer 10'' becomes the first man-made object to leave the solar system.
- 14 Jun 1983 5 killed in a fire at a Ramada Inn in Fort Worth, Texas
- 15 Jun 1983 Cards trade Keith Hernandez to Mets for Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey
- 16 Jun 1983 Pope John Paul II visits Poland
- 18 Jun 1983 Pump Boys & Dinettes closes at Princess Theater NYC after 573 performances
- 19 Jun 1983 Octopussy premieres in US
- 20 Jun 1983 83rd US Golf Open: Larry Nelson shoots a 280 at Oakmont Country Club - Pennsylvania
- 21 Jun 1983 Tennis ace Arthur Ashe undergoes double bypass heart surgery
- 22 Jun 1983 First time a satellite is retrieved from orbit by Space Shuttle.
- 23 Jun 1983 Syria throws out PLO leader Arafat
- 24 Jun 1983 7th Space Shuttle Mission-Challenger 2 lands at Edwards AFB
- 25 Jun 1983 Evita closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 1568 performances
- 26 Jun 1983 Loving premieres on TV
- 27 Jun 1983 Mariners bat out of order against White Sox in 2nd inning
- 28 Jun 1983 NASA launches Galaxy-A.
- 29 Jun 1983 Angel Cordero wins his 5,000th horse races
- 30 Jun 1983 Total loss of coolant at Embalse nuclear power plant, Argentina. It was classified as an Accident With Local Consequences ampndash level 4 at the International Nuclear Event Scale
- 01 Jul 1983 A North Korean Ilyushin Il-62M jet en route to Conakry Airport in Guinea crashes into the Fouta Djallon mountains in Guinea-Bissau, killing all 23 people on board.
- 02 Jul 1983 90th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: M Navratilova beats A Jaeger (60 63)
- 03 Jul 1983 11th du Maurier Golf Classic (Peter Jackson Classic): Hollis Stacy
- 04 Jul 1983 New York Yankees' Dave Righetti no-hits the Boston Red Sox.
- 05 Jul 1983 France invades Algeria
- 06 Jul 1983 54th All Star Baseball Game: AL wins 13-3 at Comiskey Park, Chicago
- 07 Jul 1983 11 year old Samantha Smith of Manchester, Maine, leaves for USSR
- 08 Jul 1983 Rudi Koopmans retains European middleweight title
- 11 Jul 1983 Lorraine Elizabeth Downes, 19, of New Zealand, crowned 32nd Miss Universe
- 14 Jul 1983 Crane (Rep-R-Il) and Studds (Rep-D-Mas) admit to sex with pages
- 15 Jul 1983 Linda Ronstadt debuts as Mabel in Pirates of Penzance
- 16 Jul 1983 Sikorsky S-61 disaster: a helicopter crashes off the Isles of Scilly, causing 20 fatalities.
- 17 Jul 1983 112th British Golf Open: Tom Watson shoots a 275 at Royal Birkdale
- 18 Jul 1983 Despite being in 1st place in NL East, Phils fire manager Pat Corrales
- 19 Jul 1983 The first three-dimensional reconstruction of a human head in a CT is published.
- 20 Jul 1983 The Israeli cabinet votes to withdraw troops from Beirut but to remain in southern Lebanon.
- 21 Jul 1983 Polish government ends 19 months of martial law.
- 22 Jul 1983 Angels OF Brian Downing error ends his record streak at 244 games
- 23 Jul 1983 Gimli Glider: Air Canada Flight 143 runs out of fuel and makes a deadstick landing at Gimli, Manitoba.
- 24 Jul 1983 Mame opens at Gershwin Theater NYC for 41 performances
- 25 Jul 1983 Washington Public Power Supply System defaults on US$2.25 billion loan.
- 26 Jul 1983 Challenger moves to Vandenberg AFB for mating for STS-8
- 27 Jul 1983 Gaylord Perry joins Nolan Ryan and Steve Carlton to reach 3,500 career strikeouts this season, he also wins his 1st game as a Royal
- 28 Jul 1983 NASA launches Telstar-3A
- 29 Jul 1983 Friday Night Videos premieres on NBC TV
- 30 Jul 1983 Weight lifter Sergei Didyk of the USSR jerks a record 261 kg
- 31 Jul 1983 B Robinson, J Marichal, G Kell, and W Alston inducted into Hall of Fame
- 01 Aug 1983 America West Airlines begins operations out of Phoenix, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada.
- 02 Aug 1983 STS-8 vehicle moves to launch pad
- 03 Aug 1983 John Sain of South Bend, Indiana builds 3.91m house of cards.
- 04 Aug 1983 Bettino Craxi sworn in as Premier of Italy
- 06 Aug 1983 Supertanker Castillo de Bellvar crashes at South Africa
- 07 Aug 1983 Merlin closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 199 performances
- 08 Aug 1983 Jury in KC, Mo, awards TV anchorwoman Christine Craft $500,000 in sex discrimination suit against KMBC-TV (later overturned)
- 12 Aug 1983 General Manuel A Noriega becomes commander of Panamanian army
- 14 Aug 1983 Patty Sheehan wins LPGA Henredon Golf Classic
- 15 Aug 1983 Ramones guitarist Joey Ramone, beaten in fight-undergoes brain surgery
- 16 Aug 1983 Paul Simon weds Carrie Fisher
- 18 Aug 1983 Royals defeat Yanks, 5-4, completing pine-tar game (12 minutes). Hal McRae strikes out and Dan Quisenberry retires Yankees in order
- 19 Aug 1983 Dodgers trade Dave Stewart and Ricky Wright to Texas for Rick Honeycut
- 20 Aug 1983 Miss National Teen-Ager
- 21 Aug 1983 La Cage aux Folles opens at Palace Theater NYC for 1761 performances
- 24 Aug 1983 Cin Red Pete Rose ends consecutive games played streak at 745
- 25 Aug 1983 US and the USSR sign $10 billion grain pact
- 26 Aug 1983 Heavy rain triggers flooding at Bilbao (Spain) and surrounding areas, killing 45 people and causing millions in damages.
- 27 Aug 1983 Haiti adopts constitution
- 28 Aug 1983 Mame closes at Gershwin Theater NYC after 41 performances
- 30 Aug 1983 8th Space Shuttle Mission-Challenger 3-launched (6 days)
- 31 Aug 1983 Edwin Moses of USA sets the 400m hurdle record (47.02) in Koblenz.
- 01 Sep 1983 Korean Boeing 747 strays into Siberia and is shot down by a Soviet jet
- 02 Sep 1983 Yitzhak Shamir (Herut) endorsed by Menachem Begin for Israeli Prime Minister.
- 04 Sep 1983 Joseph & the Amazing Dreamcoat closes at Royale NYC after 747 performances
- 05 Sep 1983 8th Space Shuttle Mission-Challenger 3-lands at Edwards AFB
- 06 Sep 1983 Czech tennis star Martina Navratilova requests political asylum in New York
- 07 Sep 1983 Drury Gallagher sets fastest swim around Manhattan (6:41:35).
- 08 Sep 1983 NASA launches RCA-6.
- 09 Sep 1983 Challenger returns to Kennedy Space Center via Sheppard AFB, Texas
- 10 Sep 1983 97th US Womens Tennis: M Navratilova beats Chris Evert L Mills (61 63)
- 11 Sep 1983 103rd US Mens Tennis: Jimmy Connors beats Ivan Lendl (63 67 75 60)
- 12 Sep 1983 Security guard Victor Gerena robs West Hartford company of US$7 million.
- 13 Sep 1983 Dan Quisenberry record 39th season save
- 14 Sep 1983 US House of Representatives votes, 416 to 0, in favor of a resolution condemning Russia for shooting down a Korean jetliner
- 15 Sep 1983 Cops beat to death Michael Stewart for graffiting NYC subway
- 16 Sep 1983 Arnold Schwarzenegger becomes a US citizen
- 17 Sep 1983 Chicago White Sox clinch their 1st-ever AL West championship
- 18 Sep 1983 Juli Inkster wins LPGA SAFECO Golf Classic
- 19 Sep 1983 St. Kitts and Nevis declares independence from the UK
- 20 Sep 1983 Cryptographic Communications System and Method (RSA) patented
- 21 Sep 1983 11 killed in anti Marcos demonstrations in Manila
- 22 Sep 1983 Everly Brothers reunite after 10 years (Royal Albert Hall)
- 23 Sep 1983 Argentina milt regime gives amnesty to military / political assassins
- 24 Sep 1983 Braves Dale Murphy is 6th to hit 30 HRs and steal 30 bases in season
- 25 Sep 1983 35th Emmy Awards: Hill St. Blue, Cheers, Ed Flanders and Shelley Long
- 26 Sep 1983 Lebanon Premier Chafiq Wazzan offers to resigns
- 27 Sep 1983 Tim Raines is 1st since Ty Cobb to steal 70 and drive in 70 runs
- 28 Sep 1983 STS-9 vehicle moves to launch pad
- 29 Sep 1983 A Chorus Line 3,389 performance to become longest running Broadway show
- 01 Oct 1983 Denise Wallace, 18, of Virginia crowned Miss Teen of America
- 02 Oct 1983 Art Monk begins NFL streak of 136 plus consecutive game receptions
- 03 Oct 1983 Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson release Say, Say, Say in the UK
- 04 Oct 1983 Richard Noble sets a new land speed record of 1019 kph (633.468 mph), driving Thrust 2 jet-powered car at the Black Rock Desert, Nevada.
- 05 Oct 1983 Lech Walesa of Poland wins the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 06 Oct 1983 New York Jets announce they are leaving Shea Stadium for the Meadowlands Coliseum.
- 07 Oct 1983 In New York, a magnitude 5.3 earthquake occurs.
- 08 Oct 1983 1st regular season Islander OT game beat Caps 8-7
- 09 Oct 1983 4 South Korean government ministers assassinated in Rangoon Burma
- 10 Oct 1983 17th Country Music Association Award: Alabama wins
- 11 Oct 1983 Last hand-cranked telephones in the US go out of service as 440 telephone customers in Bryant Pond, Maine, are switched over to direct-dial.
- 12 Oct 1983 5225 Loral and 5424 Covington
- 13 Oct 1983 Ameritech Mobile Communications (now AT&T) launched the first US cellular network in Chicago, Illinois.
- 14 Oct 1983 US Marine peacekeeper Sargeant Allen Soifert killed by sniper in Beirut, Lebanon.
- 15 Oct 1983 Black Hawks and Maple Leafs combine for fastest 5 goals (84 seconds)
- 16 Oct 1983 Zorba opens at Broadway Theater NYC for 362 performances
- 17 Oct 1983 Nobel prize for economy awarded to Gerard Debreu
- 19 Oct 1983 Columbia moves to Orbiter Processing Facility
- 20 Oct 1983 IBM-PC DOS Version 2.1 released
- 21 Oct 1983 Pope John Paul II names 3 new Dutch bishops
- 22 Oct 1983 Two correctional officers are killed by inmates at the United States Penitentiary in Marion, Illinois. The incident inspires the Supermax model of prisons.
- 23 Oct 1983 14th NYC Marathon won by Rod Dixon in 2:08:59
- 25 Oct 1983 US invades Grenada, a country 1 / 2,000 its population (US Wins!)
- 29 Oct 1983 550,000 Dutch demonstrate against cruise missile
- 30 Oct 1983 The first democratic elections in Argentina after seven years of military rule are held.
- 31 Oct 1983 Paul McCartney releases Pipes of Peace album
- 01 Nov 1983 President Reagan established Dr Martin Luther King Jr holiday
- 02 Nov 1983 President Reagan signs a bill establishing Martin L King day
- 03 Nov 1983 Jesse Jackson launches his 1st campaign for presidency (D)
- 04 Nov 1983 Bomb attack on Israeli headquarter in Tyrus Lebanon, 60 killed
- 05 Nov 1983 New York Rangers and Quebec Nordiques both score in 1st 14 seconds of 3rd period
- 06 Nov 1983 Chako Higuchi wins LPGA Sports Nippon Team Match Golf Tournament
- 07 Nov 1983 Ali Haji-Sheikh kicks his second New York Giants' record 56-yard field goal.
- 08 Nov 1983 Martha Layne Collins (D) elected 1st female Governor of Kentucky
- 09 Nov 1983 Amsterdam brewer Freddie Heineken kidnapped
- 10 Nov 1983 Amen Corner opens at Nederlander Theater NYC for 83 performances
- 11 Nov 1983 1st US cruise missiles arrive in Great Britain
- 12 Nov 1983 New Jersey Devils, first overtime game, lose to Calgary Flames 4-3.
- 13 Nov 1983 Pat Bradley wins LPGA Mazda Japan Golf Classic
- 14 Nov 1983 1st cruise missile placed (Greenham Common England)
- 15 Nov 1983 75th hat trick in Islander history-Mike Bossy
- 16 Nov 1983 Kapil Dev takes 9-83 vs. WI at Ahmedabad, but India still lose
- 17 Nov 1983 La Tragedie de Carmen opens at Beaumont Theater NYC for 187 performances
- 19 Nov 1983 Edmonton Oilers beat New Jersey Devils, 13-4, Wayne Gretzky calls the Devils a Mickey Mouse organization
- 20 Nov 1983 Marilyn: An American Fable opens at Minskoff NYC for 16 performances
- 21 Nov 1983 Doonesbury opens at Biltmore Theater NYC for 104 performances
- 23 Nov 1983 Soyuz T-9 lands
- 24 Nov 1983 PLO exchanges 6 Israeli prisoners for 4,500 Palestinians and Lebanese
- 25 Nov 1983 Larry Holmes TKOs Marvis Frazier in 1 for heavyweight boxing title
- 26 Nov 1983 Heathrow Airport, robbed of 6,800 gold bars worth $38.7 million
- 27 Nov 1983 71st CFL Grey Cup: Toronto Argonauts defeats BC Lions, 18-17
- 28 Nov 1983 9th Space Shuttle Mission - Columbia 6 - is launched.
- 29 Nov 1983 Soviet war in Afghanistan: The United Nations General Assembly passes a resolution stating that Soviet Union forces should withdraw from Afghanistan.
- 30 Nov 1983 6th Emmy Sports Award presentation
- 01 Dec 1983 Rita Lavelle, former head of EPA, convicted of perjury.
- 02 Dec 1983 Michael Jackson's music video for "Thriller" is broadcast for the first time.
- 03 Dec 1983 Marilyn: An American Fable closes at Minskoff NYC after 16 performances
- 04 Dec 1983 Amen Corner closes at Nederlander Theater NYC after 83 performances
- 05 Dec 1983 Dissolution of the Military Junta in Argentina.
- 06 Dec 1983 A bomb planted on a bus in Jerusalem explodes, killing six Israelis.
- 07 Dec 1983 2 jets collided at Madrid Airport killing 93
- 08 Dec 1983 9th Space Shuttle Mission - Columbia 6 - lands at Edwards Air Force Base.
- 09 Dec 1983 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 10 Dec 1983 Danuta Walesa, wife of Lech Walesa, accepts his Nobel Peace Prize.
- 11 Dec 1983 Jan Stephens / Fred Couples wins LPGA J C Penney Golf Classic
- 12 Dec 1983 A truck bomb explodes at the US Embassy in Kuwait.
- 13 Dec 1983 9,655 see highest-scoring NBA game: Detroit 186, Denver 184 (3 OT)
- 14 Dec 1983 Peg opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 5 performances
- 15 Dec 1983 Columbia flies to Kennedy Space Center via El Paso, Kelly AFB
- 16 Dec 1983 Yogi Berra named Yankee manager for 2nd time
- 17 Dec 1983 Peg closes at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC after 5 performances
- 18 Dec 1983 NBA San Diego Clippers end 29-game road losing streak.
- 19 Dec 1983 The original FIFA World Cup trophy, the Jules Rimet Trophy, is stolen from the headquarters of the Brazilian Football Confederation in Rio de Janeiro.
- 20 Dec 1983 PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat and 4,000 loyalists evacuate Lebanon
- 21 Dec 1983 Tap Dance Kid opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 669 performances
- 22 Dec 1983 Egyptian President Mubarak meets with PLO leader Yasser Arafat
- 23 Dec 1983 Journal Science publishes first report on nuclear winter.
- 25 Dec 1983 1st live telecast of Christmas Parade
- 27 Dec 1983 Pope John Paul II pardons man who shot him (Mehmet Ali Agca).
- 28 Dec 1983 72nd Davis Cup: Australia beats Sweden in Melbourne (3-2).
- 29 Dec 1983 US announced withdrawal from UNESCO
- 31 Dec 1983 Brunei gains complete independence from Britain