In 1987, the world saw several developments across politics and in various fields of the entertainment industry.
On the political front, 1987 was the year that American President Ronald Reagan made a trip to Berlin, giving a speech in which he famously challenged Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall, ending the heavily guarded partition between the eastern and western parts of the city.
As Ronald Reagan made his challenge to the Soviet Union, Europe was moving to greater centralization of power. This was the year that the Single European Act was passed by the European Community. The Act, as a revision to the 1957 Treaty of Rome, set out to establish a single market in Europe by 1992, and also put forth language aimed at a single monetary and foreign policy for the Community members.
1987 was a major year for gaming as well. This was the year that Konami released their action-adventure game, Metal Gear for the MSX2 computer system in Japan. The game would eventually be released in North America and Europe through various systems throughout the years, but the innovative stealth aspect of the game was revolutionary and sparked a series of games that have entertained gamers across the world for many years. This was also the year that The Legend of Zelda was released in North America by Nintendo.
In television developments this year, Full Houseaired its first episode. This sitcom would build a devoted fan base, and would eventually inspire a nostalgic sequel series, Fuller House. The second Star Trek series, The Next Generation premiered in syndication this year, as well. In another major development in television history, the iconic animated series, The Simpsons, first appeared on television, albeit these first appearances were in shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show.
In music, U2 released their famous album, The Joshua Tree. This was also the year that the “King of Pop,” Michael Jackson, released what was then his first album in five years, Bad. The highly anticipated album was a hit, living up to expectations with songs like “Bad,” “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” and “The Way You Make Me Feel.”
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 60th edition of the Oscar ceremony
The Last Emperor
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1987?
Which were the most popular books released in 1987 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1987
- Óscar Arias
- Joseph Brodsky
- Johannes Georg Bednorz
- Karl Alexander Müller
- Robert Solow
- Donald J. Cram
- Jean-Marie Lehn
- Charles J. Pedersen
Physiology or Medicine
- Susumu Tonegawa
Which were the top hits of 1987?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
- Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
- Heart - Alone
- U2 - With Or Without You
- U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- Los Lobos - La Bamba
- Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
- Atlantic Starr - Always
- George Michael - Faith
- Whitney Houston - Didn't We Almost Have It All
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
- Mel & Kim - Respectable
- Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
- The Bee Gees - You Win Again
- T'Pau - China In Your Hand
- Judy Boucher - Can't Be With You Tonight
- MARRS - Pump Up The Volume / Anitina (The First Time I See She Dance)
- Ben E King - Stand By Me
- Madonna - Who's That Girl
- Madonna - La Isla Bonita
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1987
- Total population: 5.1 billion (5,052,522,147 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.1 billion, that is 42.0% of the total population of 1987 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +91.8 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.85%
- Average density: 34.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1987?
- 01 Jan 1987 60 bodies recovered in Dupont Plaza Hotel fire in Puerto Rico
- 03 Jan 1987 Oh Coward! closes at Helen Hayes Theater NYC after 56 performances
- 04 Jan 1987 16 die in a train crash in Chase, Maryland
- 05 Jan 1987 Surrogate Baby M case begins in Hackensack, New Jersey
- 06 Jan 1987 Astronomers at University of California see first sight of birth of a galaxy.
- 07 Jan 1987 Kapil Dev takes his 300th Test wicket, at age 28 the youngest.
- 08 Jan 1987 Dow Jones Industrial Index closes above 2,000 for first time (2,002.25).
- 09 Jan 1987 Chinese / Vietnamese border fights, 1500 killed
- 11 Jan 1987 Largest crowd (76,633) at NFL New York Giants Stadium (beat Washington Redskins 17-0).
- 13 Jan 1987 7 top New York Mafia bosses sentenced to 100 years in prison each
- 14 Jan 1987 Catfish Hunter and Billy Williams are elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 16 Jan 1987 León Febres Cordero, president of Ecuador, is kidnapped by followers of imprisoned general Frank Vargas, who successfully demand the latter's release.
- 17 Jan 1987 US President Ronald Reagan signs secret order permitting covert sale of arms to Iran.
- 18 Jan 1987 11th Soap Opera Digest Poll Awards - Days of Our Live wins
- 19 Jan 1987 Guy Hunt becomes Alabama's first Republican governor since 1874.
- 20 Jan 1987 Anglican Church envoy Terry Waite taken hostage in Beirut, Lebanon
- 21 Jan 1987 BB King donates his 7,000 record collection to University of Mississippi.
- 22 Jan 1987 Blizzard in New Jersey, as 334 attend the New Jersey Devils - Calgary Flames NHL game, New Jersey wins 7-5.
- 23 Jan 1987 Dow Jones rises 64 points then drops 110 points (44.15 pt loss)
- 24 Jan 1987 61st Australian Women's Tennis: H Mandlikova beat M Navratilova (7-5, 7-6).
- 25 Jan 1987 Super Bowl XXI: New York Giants beat Denver Broncos, 39-20 in Pasadena Super Bowl MVP: Phil Simms, New York Giants, QB
- 26 Jan 1987 Hart Foundation beats British Bulldogs for WWF tag team title.
- 27 Jan 1987 Midnight Rockers beat Buddy Rose and Doug Somers for AWA World Tag Team.
- 28 Jan 1987 Wrestler Jim Neidhart indicted for assaulting a flight attendant
- 29 Jan 1987 Lisa files for separation from husband New York Met Darryl Strawberry
- 31 Jan 1987 44th Golden Globes: Platoon, Marlee Matlin win.
- 01 Feb 1987 NFL Pro Bowl: AFC beats NFC 10-6.
- 02 Feb 1987 Kansas City Royals' pitcher Dennis Leonard (3X 20 game winner), retires.
- 04 Feb 1987 Liberace, American pianist (Liberace Show), actor (Evil Chandell - Batman), dies at age 67 (born 1919).
- 05 Feb 1987 Dow Jones Industrial Average average closes above 2,200 for first time.
- 06 Feb 1987 No-smoking rules take effect in US federal buildings.
- 07 Feb 1987 Ronnies Rap by Ron and DC Crew peaks at #93
- 08 Feb 1987 37th NBA All-Star Game: West beats East 154-149 (overtime) at Seattle, Washington.
- 09 Feb 1987 New York Stock Exchange installs ladies restroom in the Exchange Luncheon Club
- 10 Feb 1987 Philippine troops murder 17 civilians-Lupao Massacre.
- 11 Feb 1987 England beats Australia 2-0 to win the World Series Cup.
- 12 Feb 1987 Survivors of a black man murdered by KKK members awarded US$7 million damages.
- 14 Feb 1987 53,745 largest NBA crowd to date - Philadelphia 76ers at Detroit Pistons.
- 15 Feb 1987 ABC-TV begins broadcasting Amerika mini-series
- 16 Feb 1987 John Demjanjuk, accused of being Ivan the Terrible trial begins
- 17 Feb 1987 Don Mattingly wins highest salary arbitration ($1,975,000 per year)
- 19 Feb 1987 Stardust opens at Biltmore Theater NYC for 102 performances
- 20 Feb 1987 Bomb blamed on Unabomber explodes by computer store in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 21 Feb 1987 Cindy Rarick wins LPGA Tsumura Hawaiian Ladies Golf Open.
- 22 Feb 1987 Andy Warhol, American pop artist/director/writer, dies from complications following gall bladder surgery at age 58 (born 1928).
- 23 Feb 1987 Supernova 1987A in LMC first seen; first naked-eye supernova since 1604.
- 24 Feb 1987 Radio personality Larry King suffers a heart attack
- 25 Feb 1987 Michael Jordan, scores Chicago Bull record 58 points in a game
- 26 Feb 1987 1st release of Beatles compact discs
- 27 Feb 1987 Washington Week In Review, 20th anniversary on PBS
- 28 Feb 1987 Nora Kaye, US ballet dancer, dies at age 67.
- 02 Mar 1987 American Motors Corporation is acquired by the Chrysler Corporation.
- 03 Mar 1987 Ray Dandridge, third baseman in Negro Leagues, elected to Hall of Fame.
- 04 Mar 1987 U.S. President Ronald Reagan addresses the American people on the Iran-Contra Affair, acknowledging that his overtures to Iran had 'deteriorated' into an arms-for-hostages deal.
- 06 Mar 1987 6.8 earthquake hits Ecuador, kills 100
- 08 Mar 1987 Jane Geddes wins LPGA GNA / Glendale Federal Golf Classic
- 09 Mar 1987 Chrysler Corp offered to buy American Motors Corp for $1 billion
- 11 Mar 1987 Wayne Gretzky scores 1,500th NHL point.
- 12 Mar 1987 Les Miserables opens at Broadway/Imperial theater in New York City for 4000+ performances.
- 13 Mar 1987 Ice Dance Championship at Cincinnati won by Bestemianova and Bukin (URS)
- 14 Mar 1987 Worlds Ladies Figure Skating Champ in Cincinnati won by Katarina Witt
- 15 Mar 1987 Starlight Express opens at Gershwin Theater NYC for 761 performances
- 17 Mar 1987 IBM releases PC-DOS version 3.3.
- 18 Mar 1987 Gerber survey find most popular names for newborns in USA: Jessica and Matthew.
- 19 Mar 1987 PTL leader Jim Bakker resigns after sex scandal with Jessica Hahn
- 20 Mar 1987 Soap opera Capitol final episode
- 22 Mar 1987 Betsy King wins LPGA Circle K Tucson Golf Open.
- 23 Mar 1987 Soap Bold and the Beautiful premieres
- 24 Mar 1987 First Soul Train Music Awards: Janet Jackson, Luther Vandross win.
- 25 Mar 1987 US Supreme Court rules women/minorities may get jobs if less qualified.
- 26 Mar 1987 NASA launches Fltsatcom-6, it fails to reach orbit.
- 29 Mar 1987 7th Golden Raspberry Awards: Howard the Duck wins.
- 30 Mar 1987 59th Academy Awards - Platoon, Paul Newman and Marlee Matlin win
- 02 Apr 1987 Mikado opens at Virginia Theater NYC for 46 performances
- 03 Apr 1987 Bill Elliott sets NASCAR qualifying record of 212.809 mph at Talladega.
- 04 Apr 1987 Dow Jones up 69.89 points, ending at record 2,390.34 pts
- 05 Apr 1987 Fox TV network premieres showing Married With Children and Tracey Ullman
- 06 Apr 1987 Al Campanis appears on Niteline saying blacks may not be equiped to be in baseball management, sparking a racial controversy
- 07 Apr 1987 Al Campanis, Dodger executive for more than 40 years, resigns, after making racial remarks on Nightline
- 09 Apr 1987 For 3rd time, Wayne Gretzky, scores 7 goals in a Stanley Cup game Wayne Gretzky passes Jean Beliveau as all time playoff scoring champ
- 11 Apr 1987 Zoja Ivanova wins second female World Cup marathon (2:30:39).
- 12 Apr 1987 Texaco files for bankruptcy.
- 13 Apr 1987 1st 3 SD Padres hit HRs off SF starter Roger Mason
- 14 Apr 1987 Turkey asks to join European market.
- 15 Apr 1987 Barbara Cook: A Concert... opens at Ambassador NYC for 13 performances
- 16 Apr 1987 FCC imposes a broader definition of indecency over airwaves
- 17 Apr 1987 Richard Wilbur appointed as US poet laureate.
- 18 Apr 1987 An unconscious skydiver is rescued by another diver in mid-air
- 19 Apr 1987 Gregory Robertson does 200-mph free fall to save unconscious skydiver.
- 20 Apr 1987 US deports Karl Linnas, charged with German war crimes, to USSR.
- 21 Apr 1987 Milwaukee Brewers lose, ending American League season-opening winning streak at 13 games.
- 22 Apr 1987 Sri Lanka Air Force bombs Tamil rebels; 100s killed.
- 23 Apr 1987 28 construction workers die when the L'Ambiance Plaza apartment building collapses while under construction in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
- 24 Apr 1987 Howard Stern holds a free speech rally at Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, New York City
- 26 Apr 1987 Barbara Cook: A Concert... closes at Ambassador NYC after 13 performances
- 27 Apr 1987 US Justice Department bars Austrian Chancellor Kurt Waldheim from entering US, due to his aid of Nazi Germany during WWII
- 28 Apr 1987 NBA announces expansion to Charlotte, North Carolina and Miami, Florida in 1988 and Minneapolis, Minnesota and Orlando, Florida in 1989.
- 29 Apr 1987 Japan's premier Nakasone visits the US.
- 30 Apr 1987 New York Islanders' Mike Bossy plays his final game.
- 01 May 1987 Pope John Paul II beatifies Edith Stein, a Jewish-born Carmelite nun who was gassed in the Nazi concentration camp at Auschwitz.
- 02 May 1987 113th Kentucky Derby: Chris McCarron aboard Alysheba wins in 2:03.4.
- 03 May 1987 Mikado closes at Virginia Theater NYC after 46 performances
- 05 May 1987 Congress begins Iran-Contra hearings
- 06 May 1987 Gary Hart denies affair with model Donna Rice
- 08 May 1987 Gary Hart quits democratic presidential race (Donna Rice affair)
- 09 May 1987 183 die aboard a Polish jetliner that crashes in Warsaw
- 10 May 1987 Jody Rosentha wins LPGA United Virginia Bank Golf Classic.
- 11 May 1987 Corazon Aquino is elected President in the Philippines.
- 13 May 1987 Ajax wins 27th Europe Cup II.
- 14 May 1987 Little Shop of Horrors is released in Germany
- 15 May 1987 1st Energiya Launch (USSR)
- 16 May 1987 Bobro 400, a barge carrying 3,200 tons of garbage, sets sail from New York, beginning an unsuccesful eight-week search for a dumping site.
- 17 May 1987 Stardust closes at Biltmore Theater NYC after 102 performances
- 19 May 1987 1st American Comedy Award
- 20 May 1987 Wrestler Jerry Lawler sues WWF and Harley Race for trademark name king
- 21 May 1987 Xignals PC Board BBS begins in Alabama
- 22 May 1987 30 killed in a Texas tornado.
- 24 May 1987 Al Unser Sr, 47, wins his 4th Indy 500
- 26 May 1987 Cecilia Bolocco, age 22, of Chile, crowned 36th Miss Universe.
- 27 May 1987 Jim and Tammy Bakker appear on Nightline after PTL scandal
- 28 May 1987 Mathias Rust, 19, W German pilot, makes unauthorized landing in the USSR
- 29 May 1987 Twilight Zone director John Landis found innocent in death of actor Vic Morrow.
- 30 May 1987 West German Mathias Rust lands airplane on Red Square
- 31 May 1987 Saul Ballesteros drives 3 golf balls off Mt McKinley, Alaska
- 01 Jun 1987 Phil Niekro 314th combines with Joe to have most wins by bros (530)
- 02 Jun 1987 Mariners draft Ken Griffey Jr #1
- 03 Jun 1987 Little Shop of Horrors, released in France
- 04 Jun 1987 Danny Harris beats Edwin Moses, ends streak of 122 consecutive hurdle wins.
- 05 Jun 1987 Dwight Gooden returns from drug rehabilitation and allows wins game
- 06 Jun 1987 119th Belmont: Craig Perret aboard Bet Twice wins in 2:28.2
- 07 Jun 1987 41st Tony Awards: Fences and Les Miserables win
- 08 Jun 1987 21st Music City News Country Awards: Randy Travis
- 10 Jun 1987 In Illinois, a magnitude 5.1 earthquake occurs.
- 11 Jun 1987 Margaret Thatcher is first British Prime Minister in 160 years to win third consecutive term.
- 12 Jun 1987 During a visit to Berlin, Germany, U.S. President Ronald Reagan challenges Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.
- 13 Jun 1987 Daniel Buettner, Bret Anderson, Martin Engel, and Anne Knabe complete cycling journey of 15,266 miles from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Argentina.
- 14 Jun 1987 41st NBA Championship: LA Lakers beat Boston Celtics, 4 games to 2
- 15 Jun 1987 Michael Spinks TKOs Gerry Cooney in 5 for heavyweight boxing title
- 16 Jun 1987 Subway gunman Bernhard Goetz acquitted on all but gun possession charges after shooting 4 black youths who tried to rob him
- 17 Jun 1987 With the death of the last individual, the Dusky Seaside Sparrow becomes extinct.
- 18 Jun 1987 Charles Glass, ABC journalist, kidnapped in Lebanon
- 19 Jun 1987 ETA bomb attack in Barcelona, 15 killed
- 20 Jun 1987 Johnny Carson marries 4th wife Alexis Mass
- 21 Jun 1987 87th US Golf Open: Scott Simpson shoots a 277 at Olympic Club in San Francisco
- 22 Jun 1987 Tom Seaver retires after third try with New York Mets.
- 24 Jun 1987 Salt Lake City Trappers begin pro baseball record 29 consecutive win streak
- 25 Jun 1987 Pope John Paul II receives Austrian President Kurt Waldheim.
- 26 Jun 1987 Supreme Court Justice Lewis F Powell Jr announces his retirement
- 27 Jun 1987 US Supreme Court Justice Powell retires.
- 28 Jun 1987 Dreamgirls opens at Ambassador Theater NYC for 177 performances
- 29 Jun 1987 South Korean president Roh Tae-Woo makes a speech promising a wide program of nationwide reforms, the result of June Democracy Movement.
- 30 Jun 1987 Emmy 14th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 8th time
- 01 Jul 1987 Bork nominated to Supreme Court, rejected in October by Senate
- 02 Jul 1987 Jim Eisenreich, comeback after nervous disorder in 1984
- 03 Jul 1987 New York Met Darryl Strawberry threatens teammates Wally Backman and Lee Mazzilli for criticizing his play
- 04 Jul 1987 94th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: M Navratilova beats Steffi Graf (75 63)
- 05 Jul 1987 101st Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Pat Cash beats Ivan Lendl (76 62 75)
- 06 Jul 1987 Pakistan score their 1st innings win over England, at Leeds
- 07 Jul 1987 Lt Col Oliver North began public testimony at Iran-Contra hearing
- 08 Jul 1987 Kitty Dukakis, revealed addiction to amphetamines for 26 years
- 09 Jul 1987 1 million South Koreans demonstrate against Chun Doo Hwan regime
- 11 Jul 1987 Orioles Cal Ripkin becomes 1st to manage 2 sons, as Billy joins Cal
- 12 Jul 1987 15th du Maurier Golf Classic: Jody Rosenthal
- 14 Jul 1987 58th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 2-0 in 13 at Oakland - Alameda Stadium
- 15 Jul 1987 Boy George barred from British TV show, he may be a bad influence
- 16 Jul 1987 Don Mattingly hits his 4th grand slam of season and ties AL record of homers in 6 straight games (on way to tie major league record of 8)
- 17 Jul 1987 Don Mattingly is 2nd to hit HRs in 7 straight AL games (en route to 8)
- 18 Jul 1987 Molly Yard elected new president of US National Organization for Women.
- 19 Jul 1987 116th British Golf Open: Nick Faldo shoots a 279 at Muirfield Gullane
- 20 Jul 1987 Don Mattingly ties 1st base fielding record with 22 put-outs
- 21 Jul 1987 Kristi Addis, of Mississippi, crowned 5th Miss Teen USA
- 22 Jul 1987 US begins escorting re-flagged Kuwaiti tankers in Persian Gulf.
- 23 Jul 1987 Red Sox waive Bill Buckner, the goat of last years World Series
- 24 Jul 1987 IBM-PC DOS Version 3.3 (updated) released
- 25 Jul 1987 USSR launches Kosmos 1870, 15-ton Earth-study satellite.
- 26 Jul 1987 Catfish Hunter Billy Williams and Ray Dandridge inducted in Baseball HOF
- 27 Jul 1987 Salt Lake City Trappers lose 7-5 to Billings Mustangs, ending their professional-record winning streak at 29 consecutive
- 28 Jul 1987 Angel Cordero Jr becomes 4th jockey to win 6,000 races
- 29 Jul 1987 Ben and Jerry's ice cream parlour and Jerry Garcia agree on a new flavor: Cherry Garcia.
- 31 Jul 1987 Living Daylights premieres in US
- 01 Aug 1987 Nurse Mary R Stout chosen chairperson of Vietnam Veterans of America
- 02 Aug 1987 25th Tennis Federation Cup: Germany beats USA in Vancouver Canada (2-1)
- 03 Aug 1987 Discovery in Orbital Processing Facility is powered up for STS-26
- 04 Aug 1987 At the Kingdome, Ruppert Jones hits a foul ball that sticks in speaker
- 07 Aug 1987 Javed Miandad scores 260 vs. England at The Oval, 28 fours 1 six
- 08 Aug 1987 Pakistan all out 708 vs. England at The Oval, Botham 3-217
- 09 Aug 1987 Les Miserables, opens at Cameri Theatre, Tel Aviv
- 10 Aug 1987 Kevin Gross is 2nd pitcher in 8 days to be ejected for scuffing ball
- 11 Aug 1987 France and Great-Britain send minesweepers to Persian Gulf
- 13 Aug 1987 Cards outfield sets record of no putouts in a 4-2 in 13 inning
- 14 Aug 1987 Les Miserables, opens at Rock Theatre, Szeged Hungary
- 15 Aug 1987 At Pan Am games in Indianapolis, USA and Cuba are tied with 2 outs in 9th, Ty Griffin HR, Cuba 1st loss in 20 years of Pan Am competition
- 16 Aug 1987 Val Skinner wins LPGA MasterCard International Golf Pro-Am
- 17 Aug 1987 Bunt single gives Paul Molitor longest hit streak of 1980s at 32 games
- 18 Aug 1987 Houston Oiler Earl Campbell, retires from NFL
- 19 Aug 1987 ABC News Chief Middle East Correspondent Charles Glass escapes his Hizballah kidnappers in Beirut, Lebanon, after sixty-two days in captivity.
- 21 Aug 1987 Clayton Lonetree, first US Marine court-martialed for spying, convicted.
- 22 Aug 1987 Nintendo releases The Legend of Zelda for the NES in North America.
- 23 Aug 1987 15-years old boy hijacks KLM B737, demands $1 billion
- 24 Aug 1987 Announcement of possible Martian tornadoes.
- 25 Aug 1987 Dow Jones Industrial Stock Average reaches record 2722.42
- 26 Aug 1987 Paul Molitor goes 0-for-4 ends hitting streak at 39 consecutive games
- 28 Aug 1987 Mike Schmidt passes Ted Williams and Willie McCovey with 522 HRs
- 29 Aug 1987 Nolan Ryan passes the 200-strikeout barrier for record 11th time
- 30 Aug 1987 87th US Golf Amateur Championship won by Billy Mayfair
- 31 Aug 1987 South Africa longest mine strike in history ends
- 01 Sep 1987 15 yr old Michael Chang is youngest man to win US Tennis Open match
- 02 Sep 1987 Donald Trump takes out a full page New York Times ad lambasting Japan.
- 03 Sep 1987 Coup in Burundi suspends constitution
- 05 Sep 1987 Carlton Fisk clubs his 300th career HR off Danny Jackson
- 06 Sep 1987 Benjamin and Patrick Binder separated at John Hopkins Hospital
- 07 Sep 1987 Netherlands routes 2 minesweepers to Persian Gulf
- 08 Sep 1987 Emmy News and Documentaries Award presentation
- 09 Sep 1987 Gary Hart admits on Nightline, to cheating on his wife
- 11 Sep 1987 4th MTV Awards: Peter Gabriel wins
- 12 Sep 1987 101st US Womens Tennis: Martina Navratilova beats Steffi Graf (76 61)
- 13 Sep 1987 Cesium-137 stolen from abandoned hospital in Rio de Janeiro
- 14 Sep 1987 Les Miserables, opens at Rock Theatre, Vigzinhaz Budapest
- 15 Sep 1987 United States Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign a treaty to establish centers to reduce the risk of nuclear war.
- 16 Sep 1987 The Montreal Protocol is signed to protect the ozone layer from depletion.
- 17 Sep 1987 Philadelphia celebrates 200th anniversary of Constitution
- 18 Sep 1987 US and Russia sign accord to remove mid range missiles
- 19 Sep 1987 Kaye Lani Rae Rafko (Mich), 24, crowned 61st Miss America
- 20 Sep 1987 39th Emmy Awards: LA Law, Bruce Willis and Sharon Gless wins
- 21 Sep 1987 3 Belgian minesweepers depart to Persians Gulf
- 22 Sep 1987 Dow-Jones index rises record 75.23 points
- 25 Sep 1987 2nd coup on Fiji led by Major General Sitiveni Rabuka
- 26 Sep 1987 Padres Benito Santiago sets rookie hitting streak to 28 games
- 27 Sep 1987 27th Ryder Cup: Europe beats US, 15-13 at Muirfield Village Golf Club - Ohio
- 28 Sep 1987 Star Trek: The Next Generation, debuts on syndicated TV
- 29 Sep 1987 thirtysomething, debuts on ABC-TV
- 30 Sep 1987 Suriname constitution ratified
- 01 Oct 1987 Roza opens at Royale Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 03 Oct 1987 Benito Santiago ends longest catcher / rookie hitting streak at 34
- 04 Oct 1987 Blues Jays lose final 7 games allowing Tigers to win AL pennant
- 06 Oct 1987 Military coup leader Major-General Sitiveni Rabuka declares Fiji a Republic
- 09 Oct 1987 Japanese bank buys Lady McGill stamp for $1,100,000
- 10 Oct 1987 Bruce Springsteen releases his 9th album Tunnel of Love
- 11 Oct 1987 200,000 gays march for civil rights in Washington
- 12 Oct 1987 21st Country Music Association Award: Hank William Jr wins
- 13 Oct 1987 First military use of trained dolphins (US Navy in Persian Gulf).
- 14 Oct 1987 St. Louis Cardinals beat SF Giants, 4 games to 3 in NLCS
- 15 Oct 1987 Late Nite Comic opens at Ritz Theater NYC for 4 performances
- 16 Oct 1987 338,500,000 shares traded on New York stock exchange (record)
- 17 Oct 1987 Late Nite Comic closes at Ritz Theater NYC after 4 performances
- 19 Oct 1987 Anything Goes opens at Beaumont Theater NYC for 804 performances
- 20 Oct 1987 Dow-Jones increases 102.27 pts / 608,120,000 shares traded (record)
- 21 Oct 1987 7th Belgium government of Martens forms
- 22 Oct 1987 Cabaret opens at Imperial Theater NYC for 262 performances
- 23 Oct 1987 On a vote of 58-42, the United States Senate rejects President Ronald Reagan's nomination of Robert Bork to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 24 Oct 1987 NBC technicians accept pact, end 118 day strike.
- 25 Oct 1987 Minnesota Twins win their first World Series championship beating Saint Louis Cardinals, 4 games to 3 in 84th World Series.
- 26 Oct 1987 Dow Jones down 156.83 points
- 27 Oct 1987 Lucas Mangopes Democratic Party wins Bophuthatswana elections
- 29 Oct 1987 Thomas Hearns wins unprecidented fourth different weight boxing title.
- 30 Oct 1987 In Japan, NEC releases the first 16-bit home entertainment system, the TurboGrafx-16, known as PC Engine.
- 31 Oct 1987 A pair in Coventry, England ties the world record for the longest singles tennis match at 80 hours 21 minutes.
- 01 Nov 1987 18th NYC Marathon won by Ibrahim Hussein in 2:11:01
- 02 Nov 1987 Entertainer Lola Falona is diagnosed with multiple schlerosis
- 03 Nov 1987 Oakland 1st baseman Mark McGwire wins AL Rookie of Year
- 04 Nov 1987 Benito Santiago, Padres catcher, wins NL Rookie of Year
- 05 Nov 1987 Into the Woods opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 764 performances
- 07 Nov 1987 Tunisian Premier Zine al-Abidine fires President Habib Bourguiba
- 08 Nov 1987 11 die as a bomb planted by Irish Republican Army explodes
- 10 Nov 1987 Steve Bedrosian edges Rick Sutcliffe 57-55 to win NL Cy Young Award
- 11 Nov 1987 Roza closes at Royale Theater NYC after 12 performances
- 12 Nov 1987 Teddy & Alice opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 77 performances
- 13 Nov 1987 1st condom commercial on BBC TV
- 14 Nov 1987 La Cage aux Folles closes at Palace Theater NYC after 1761 performances
- 15 Nov 1987 Carla Beurskens runs Dutch female record marathon (2:26:34)
- 16 Nov 1987 Actress Lisa Bonet marries singer Lenny Kravitz
- 17 Nov 1987 George Bell is 1st Blue Jay ever to win the AL MVP
- 18 Nov 1987 Congressional committee reports on Iran-Contra affair
- 21 Nov 1987 Actress Demi Moore marries actor Bruce Willis
- 22 Nov 1987 Patriots shutout Indianapolis 24-0
- 24 Nov 1987 Li Peng succeeds Premier Zhao Ziyang in China PR
- 25 Nov 1987 Abdul Qadir takes 9-56 against England at Lahore
- 27 Nov 1987 Les Miserables, opens at Theatre Royal, Sydney
- 28 Nov 1987 South African Airways flight 295 crashes into the Indian Ocean, killing all 159 people on-board.
- 29 Nov 1987 Dreamgirls closes at Ambassador Theater NYC after 177 performances
- 30 Nov 1987 Afghanistan Constitution adopted
- 01 Dec 1987 Digging begins to link England and France under the English Channel.
- 02 Dec 1987 Chicago City Council elects Eugene Sawyer acting mayor
- 04 Dec 1987 Karlstad skates world record 10 km (13:48.51).
- 05 Dec 1987 53rd Heisman Trophy Award: Tim Brown, Notre Dame (world record).
- 06 Dec 1987 Jane Crafter / Steve Jones wins LPGA J C Penney Golf Classic
- 07 Dec 1987 43 die in Pacific Southwest Airline crash in California (man shot pilots)
- 08 Dec 1987 Occupied Palestinians start intefadeh (uprising) against Israel
- 09 Dec 1987 Palestine uprising begin in Israeli-occupied West Bank
- 10 Dec 1987 Nightline is seen in the USSR for 1st time
- 11 Dec 1987 Test debut of Carl Hooper, West Indies versus India at Bombay.
- 12 Dec 1987 Mookie Blaylock sets NBA record of 13 steals in a game.
- 13 Dec 1987 Belgium Christian Democrats (CVP) lose parliamentary election.
- 14 Dec 1987 Chrysler pleads no contest to selling driven vehicles as new.
- 15 Dec 1987 Les Miserables opens at Shubert Theatre, Boston
- 16 Dec 1987 Roh Tae Woo wins presidential election in South Korea.
- 17 Dec 1987 Square Co., Ltd. releases ''Final Fantasy'' in Japan for the Famicom.
- 18 Dec 1987 Warne Marsh, jazz saxophonist, dies of a heart attack after collapsing onstage while giving a perfomance at Donte's in North Hollywood, California.
- 19 Dec 1987 Gari Kasparov becomes world chess champion.
- 20 Dec 1987 Nuts with Barbra Striesand premieres
- 21 Dec 1987 3 white New York teens convicted of manslaughter in death of a black man
- 23 Dec 1987 Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, serving a life sentence for attempted assassination of US President Gerald R Ford escapes from Alderson Prison.
- 24 Dec 1987 In the USA, the Illinois State Lottery draw for US$39.5 million is split between four winners.
- 25 Dec 1987 Lynette Squeaky Fromme, who escaped 2 days earlier, recaptured
- 26 Dec 1987 Les Miserables opens at National Theatre of Iceland, Reykjavik
- 27 Dec 1987 Steve Largent sets all-time NFL record for career catches when he catches his 752nd pass.
- 28 Dec 1987 In Arkansas, USA, R Gene Simmons kills two, later bodies of 14 of his relatives are found at his home near Dover.
- 29 Dec 1987 Prozac anti-depressant drug makes its debut in the United States.
- 30 Dec 1987 Australia hangs on for draw versus New Zealand at Melbourne Cricket Ground, one wicket left 17 runs short.