1982 is the year that people were excited by new technology, leading to a significant change in their buying habits.
There was an introduction of smaller and cheaper electronic gadgets to the market such as the first CD player. It was also the beginning of a new type of industry whereby a Genetically Engineered human insulin, which is produced by bacteria, was put to use and sold for the first time.
On the other end in Europe, there was an invasion in Falkland by Argentina, which in turn led to a serious war between Argentina and British over the Island. Consequently, British took victory in the Falkland war after a long battle. It is also the year that Israel invaded Lebanon in the famous PLO attack, and at the same time Lebanese Christian Phalangists killed hundreds of people in West Beirut in two major Palestinian refugee camps.
1982 also saw the death of Princes Grace at the age of 52 after sustaining serious injuries when the car she was in plunged off Mountain Road. Stephanie, her daughter, who was also in the same car suffered serious injuries but survived.
Soviet leader, Leonid I. Brezhnev, died at the age of 75, which led to the 68-year-old Yuri V. Andropov being chosen as the successor.
In the USA, the jury decided that President Reagans’ shooter, John W. Hinckley Jr. was not guilty of the shooting due to his insanity. Then again, Alexander M. Haig, Jr. proffered his resignation as the Secretary of State while the Equal Rights Amendment’s endorsement was failing.
This was the year that Michael Jackson’s career was at its peak. He released the famous Thriller and it sold a record 25 million-plus copies making it history’s biggest-selling album. Contrariwise, John Belushi takes a drug overdose and dies at the age of 33. Cats, the longest running play on Broadway, also opened in 1982.
In the health and nutrition sector, this was the year that saw the first ever implantation of a permanent artificial heart in Dr. Barney B. Clark who was 61 at the time, in Salt Lake at the University of Utah Medical Center. Britain also introduces the first magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) diagnostic machines.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 55th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1982?
Which were the most popular books released in 1982 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1982
- Alva Myrdal
- Alfonso García Robles
- Gabriel García Márquez
- Kenneth G. Wilson
- George Stigler
- Aaron Klug
Physiology or Medicine
- Sune Bergström
- Bengt I. Samuelsson
- John Vane
Which were the top hits of 1982?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- John Cougar - Hurts So Good
- Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger
- The Steve Miller Band - Abracadabra
- Chicago - Hard To Say I'm Sorry
- The Human League - Don't You Want Me
- The J. Geils Band - Centerfold
- Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - I Love Rock 'N Roll
- Paul McCartney - Ebony And Ivory
- Rick Springfield - Don't Talk To Strangers
- Toto - Rosanna
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger
- Madness - House Of Fun
- Culture Club - Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?
- Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder - Ebony And Ivory
- Irene Cara - Fame
- Dexy's Midnight Runners With The Emerald Express - Come On Eileen
- Goombay Dance Band - Seven Tears
- Imagination - Just An Illusion
- Tight Fit - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Shakin' Stevens - Oh Julie
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1982
- Total population: 4.6 billion (4,617,386,542 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.8 billion, that is 40.0% of the total population of 1982 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +80.3 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.77%
- Average density: 31.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1982?
- 01 Jan 1982 30 Something stars Ken Olin and Patricia Wettig meet, later they marry
- 02 Jan 1982 Camelot closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 48 performances
- 04 Jan 1982 ABC Direction Network (57 affiliates) and ABC Rock Network (40 affiliates) become the 5th and 6th ABC radio network
- 05 Jan 1982 Arkansas judge rules against obligatory teaching of creation.
- 06 Jan 1982 William Bonin is convicted of being the Freeway Killer.
- 07 Jan 1982 Fame premieres on NBC TV
- 08 Jan 1982 Johnny Cash Parkway opens in Hendersonville Tennessee
- 09 Jan 1982 5.9 earthquake in New England and Canada; first since 1855.
- 10 Jan 1982 Petra Schneider swims world record 1500 metre freestyle (15:43.31).
- 11 Jan 1982 Honduras adopts constitution.
- 13 Jan 1982 Air Florida 737 took off in a snowstorm, crashes into 14th St. Bridge in Washington, DC, and falls into Potomac River, killing 78
- 15 Jan 1982 Forbidden Broadway by / with Gerard Alessandrini premieres in New York City
- 17 Jan 1982 Mauno Koivisto is elected President of Finland.
- 19 Jan 1982 Heater explodes at Star Elementary School-Oklahoma, kills six kids and teacher.
- 20 Jan 1982 Honduras constitution goes into effect.
- 21 Jan 1982 New York Islanders begin then NHL record 15 game winning streak
- 22 Jan 1982 75% of North America is covered by snow
- 23 Jan 1982 World Airways DC-10 skids at Boston Logan Airport killing two.
- 24 Jan 1982 Super Bowl XVI at the Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan: San Francisco 49ers beat Cincinnati Bengals, 26-21; Most Valuable Player: Joe Montana, Quarterback.
- 25 Jan 1982 9th American Music Awards: Kenny Rogers win.
- 26 Jan 1982 Islanders score 4 goals within 1:38, 5 within 2:37 vs. Penguins
- 27 Jan 1982 Joseph & the Amazing Dreamcoat opens at Royale NYC for 747 performances
- 28 Jan 1982 US General Dozier freed from Red Brigade of Padua Italy
- 29 Jan 1982 Wayne Garland, baseball first millionaire free agent, waived by Cleveland Indians.
- 30 Jan 1982 Richard Skrenta writes the first PC virus code, which is 400 lines long and disguised as an Apple boot program called ''Elk Cloner''.
- 31 Jan 1982 12th AFC-NFC pro bowl, AFC wins 16-13
- 01 Feb 1982 Late Night With David Letterman, debuts on NBC-TV
- 02 Feb 1982 Late Night with David Letterman premieres on NBC
- 03 Feb 1982 Columbia Shuttle moves to Vandenberg AFB for mating for STS-3 mission
- 04 Feb 1982 Pump Boys & Dinettes opens at Princess Theater NYC for 573 performances
- 05 Feb 1982 Chin A Sen ends term as President of Suriname
- 06 Feb 1982 Centerfold by J Geils Band hit #1 on pop chart
- 07 Feb 1982 Joanne Carner wins LPGA Elizabeth Arden Golf Classic.
- 09 Feb 1982 34th NHL All-Star Game: Wales beat Campbell 4-2 at Washington.
- 11 Feb 1982 Ozzie Smith for Garry Templeton trade finally goes through
- 12 Feb 1982 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 13 Feb 1982 Dark Side of the Moon, is on charts for 402nd week
- 14 Feb 1982 Hollis Stacy wins LPGA S&H Golf Classic.
- 15 Feb 1982 Dan Issel (NBA-Nuggets), begins streak of 63 consecutive free throw
- 16 Feb 1982 Assembled STS-3 vehicle moves from Vandenberg AFB to launch pad
- 19 Feb 1982 The DeLorean Car factory in Belfast is put into receivership.
- 20 Feb 1982 New York Islanders wins then NHL record 15th straight game
- 21 Feb 1982 Beth Daniel wins LPGA Bent Tree Ladies Golf Classic.
- 22 Feb 1982 New York City Mayor Koch announces he will run for New York Governor (unsuccessful)
- 24 Feb 1982 Wayne Gretzky of the Edmonton Oilers scores his 77th goal of the National Hockey League season, breaking the previous record of 76.
- 25 Feb 1982 Final episode of The Lawrence Welk Show airs
- 27 Feb 1982 Wayne Williams found guilty of murdering 2 of 28 blacks in Atlanta
- 28 Feb 1982 Ayako Okamoto wins LPGA Arizona Copper Golf Classic.
- 01 Mar 1982 5th Emmy Sports Award presentation
- 02 Mar 1982 Terror group "The Illuminated Path" frees 260 prisoners in Peru.
- 03 Mar 1982 US Senate begins debate on expulsion of Senator Harrison Williams (Democrat-New Jersey).
- 05 Mar 1982 Gaylord Perry (with 297 wins) signs with Seattle Mariners.
- 06 Mar 1982 Ayn Rand, Russian-born author-philosopher (The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged), dies in New York at age 77 (born 1905).
- 07 Mar 1982 NCAA Tournament Selection televised live for first time.
- 09 Mar 1982 The United States places an embargo on Libyan oil imports, alleging Libyan support for terrorist groups.
- 10 Mar 1982 President Reagan proclaims economic sanctions against Libya
- 11 Mar 1982 Failed military coup under Rambocus / Hawker in Suriname
- 12 Mar 1982 PLO chief Yassar Arafat appears on Nightline
- 13 Mar 1982 Elaine Zayak, lands 6 triple jumps to win world skating championship
- 14 Mar 1982 Sally Little wins LPGA Olympia Gold Golf Classic.
- 15 Mar 1982 Actress Theresa Saladana, stabbed repeatedly by obsessed fan
- 16 Mar 1982 In Newport, Rhode Island, Claus von Bnlow is found guilty of the attempted murder of his wife.
- 17 Mar 1982 4 Dutch TV crew members shot dead in El Salvador
- 19 Mar 1982 National Guard jet tanker crashes killing 27.
- 21 Mar 1982 Little Johnny Jones opens and closes at Alvin Theater, New York City
- 22 Mar 1982 Iran offensive against Iraq.
- 23 Mar 1982 Guatemala military coup under General Rios Montt, President Romeo Lucas flees.
- 24 Mar 1982 US submarine Jacksonville collides with a Turkish freighter near Virginia.
- 25 Mar 1982 Wayne Gretzky becomes first NHL player to score 200 points in a season.
- 26 Mar 1982 Ground-breaking in Washington, DC for Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- 27 Mar 1982 Best Little Whorehouse... closes at 46th St. NYC after 1577 performances
- 28 Mar 1982 12th Easter Seal Telethon raises US$19,500,000.
- 29 Mar 1982 54th Academy Awards - Chariots of Fire, Henry Fonda and K Hepburn win
- 30 Mar 1982 Third space shuttle mission - Columbia 3 lands at White Sands New Mexico.
- 31 Mar 1982 Rock group Doobie Brothers split up.
- 01 Apr 1982 US formally transfers Canal Zone to Panam�.
- 02 Apr 1982 Argentina seizes Malvinas (Falklands) Islands
- 03 Apr 1982 Buffalo Sabres' Gil Perrault scores his 1,000th NHL point.
- 04 Apr 1982 11th Nabisco Dinah Shore Golf Championship won by Sally Little.
- 05 Apr 1982 British fleet sails to Falkland Islands
- 06 Apr 1982 Columbia returns to Kennedy Space Center from White Sands
- 07 Apr 1982 Iran minister of Foreign affairs Ghotbzadeh arrested.
- 08 Apr 1982 Penguins 2-Isles 4-Preliminary-Isles hold 2-0 lead
- 10 Apr 1982 LA Kings losing 5-0 to Edmonton in 3rd period, win in OT 6-5
- 11 Apr 1982 Penguins 5-Isles 2-Preliminary-Series tied at 2-2
- 12 Apr 1982 3 CBS employees shot to death in NYC parking lot
- 13 Apr 1982 Penguins 3-Isles 4 (OT) - Preliminary-Isles win series (3-2)
- 15 Apr 1982 Apollo Computer announces DN400, DN420, and landscape display
- 17 Apr 1982 Canada adopts its constitution
- 18 Apr 1982 Canada Constitution Act replaces British North America Act
- 19 Apr 1982 Guinon Bluford announced as 1st black Astronaut
- 20 Apr 1982 Atlanta Braves become 1st team to win 1st 12 games of the season
- 21 Apr 1982 Dr Michael E Bakey performs 1st successful heart implant
- 22 Apr 1982 Launch of STS-3-Lousma and Fullerton [03 / 23]
- 23 Apr 1982 Dennis Wardlow, Mayor of Key West, Florida, declares the independent Conch Republic for a day.
- 24 Apr 1982 Cards win 12th game in a row; 7-4 over Phillies
- 25 Apr 1982 In accordance with Camp David, Israel completes Sinai withdrawal
- 26 Apr 1982 Rod Stewart is mugged, gunman steals his $50,000 Porsche
- 27 Apr 1982 Nordiques 1-Isles 4 - Semifinals - Isles hold 1-0 lead
- 29 Apr 1982 Alfredo Magana elected President of El Salvador
- 30 Apr 1982 Atlanta Braves win record 12th straight from beginning of season.
- 01 May 1982 Nordiques 4 - Isles 5 (OT) - Semifinals - Isles hold 3-0 lead
- 02 May 1982 Falklands War: Argentine cruiser General Belgrano sunk by British submarine Conqueror, killing more than 350 men
- 03 May 1982 US President Ronald Reagan begins five-minute weekly radio broadcasts.
- 04 May 1982 British torpedo boat Sheffield off Falkland hit by Exocet rocket
- 05 May 1982 A Unabomber bomb explodes in the computer science department at Vanderbilt University; secretary Janet Smith is injured.
- 06 May 1982 Seattle Mariners' Gaylord Perry becomes 15th pitcher to win 300 games.
- 07 May 1982 Is There Life after High School? opens at Barrymore NYC for 12 performances
- 08 May 1982 Canucks 5-Isles 6 (OT) - Stanley Cup - Isles hold 1-0 lead
- 09 May 1982 9 opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 739 performances
- 11 May 1982 Canucks 4-Isles 6-Stanley Cup-Isles hold 2-0 lead
- 12 May 1982 In Fatima Portugal, a Spanish priest with a bayonet is stopped prior to his attempt to attack Pope John Paul II
- 13 May 1982 Braniff Airlines files for bankruptcy
- 14 May 1982 Hugh Beaumont, American actor (Ward - Leave it to Beaver), dies at age 73 (born 1909).
- 16 May 1982 Barnum closes at St. James Theater NYC after 854 performances
- 18 May 1982 Unification Church founder Reverend Sun Myung Moon convicted of tax evasion.
- 19 May 1982 Sophia Loren jailed in Naples for tax evasion
- 21 May 1982 British troops lands on Falkland Islands
- 23 May 1982 Cathy Morse wins LPGA Chrysler-Plymouth Charity Golf Classic.
- 24 May 1982 Liberation of Khorramshahr: Iranians recapture of the port city of Khorramshahr from the Iraqis during the Iran : Iraq War.
- 25 May 1982 Ferguson Jenkins becomes 7th pitcher to strike out 3,000 batters
- 26 May 1982 British ship Atlantic Conveyor and Coventry were hit in Falkland war
- 27 May 1982 Do Black Patent Leather Shoes... opens at Alvin NYC for 5 performances
- 28 May 1982 Pope John Paul II is first pope to visit Great Britain since 1531.
- 29 May 1982 I Know What Boys Like, by The Waitresses hits #62
- 30 May 1982 Do Black Patent Leather Shoes... closes at Alvin NYC after 5 performances
- 01 Jun 1982 Rickey Henderson is fastest to reach 50 stolen bases in a year
- 02 Jun 1982 Blues in the Night opens at Rialto Theater NYC for 53 performances
- 03 Jun 1982 55th National Spelling Bee: Molly Dieveney wins spelling psoriasis
- 04 Jun 1982 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, released in USA
- 05 Jun 1982 114th Belmont: Laffit Pincay Jr aboard Conquistador Cielo wins in 2:28
- 06 Jun 1982 36th Tony Awards: Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby and Nine win
- 07 Jun 1982 16th Music City News Country Awards: Barbara Mandrell
- 08 Jun 1982 36th NBA Championship: LA Lakers beat Philadelphia 76ers, 4 games to 2
- 09 Jun 1982 General Efrain Rios Montt declares himself President of Guatemala
- 10 Jun 1982 Taxi, last airs on ABC, moves to NBC in the fall
- 11 Jun 1982 Movie ET The Extra-Terrestrial is released (highest grossing film).
- 12 Jun 1982 750,000 anti-nuclear demonstrators, rally in Central Park, New York City
- 13 Jun 1982 28th LPGA Championship won by Jan Stephenson
- 14 Jun 1982 Argentina surrenders to Britain on Falkland Islands, ends 74-day conflict.
- 15 Jun 1982 Riots in Argentina after Falklands / Malvinas defeat
- 16 Jun 1982 Britain requests Argentina arrange for return of prisoners.
- 17 Jun 1982 President Reagan 1st UN General Assembly address (evil empire speech)
- 18 Jun 1982 Voting Rights Act of 1965 extended by Senate by 85-8 vote
- 19 Jun 1982 In one of the first militant attacks by Hezbollah, David S. Dodge, president of the American University in Beirut, is kidnapped.
- 20 Jun 1982 82nd US Golf Open: Tom Watson shoots a 282 at Pebble Beach GL, California
- 21 Jun 1982 Paul McCartney releases Take it Away
- 22 Jun 1982 Manhattan institutes bus-only lanes
- 23 Jun 1982 Cleavage opens and closes at Playhouse Theater, New York City
- 24 Jun 1982 Equal Rights Amendment goes down to defeat
- 25 Jun 1982 Porn star John Holmes acquitted on murder charges
- 26 Jun 1982 Carlos Lopes runs Europe record 10k (27:34.39)
- 27 Jun 1982 Play Me a Country Song opens and closes at Virginia Theater, New York City
- 29 Jun 1982 US Voting Rights Act of 1965 is extended.
- 30 Jun 1982 Lena Horne: Lady, Music closes at Nederlander NYC after 333 performances
- 01 Jul 1982 ABC national music radio network scheduled premiere (never happened)
- 02 Jul 1982 Larry Walters, a.k.a. Lawn Chair Larry, flies 16,000 feet above Long Beach, California in lawn chair with weather balloons attached.
- 03 Jul 1982 89th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: M Navratilova beats C Evert (61 36 62)
- 04 Jul 1982 10th du Maurier Golf Classic (Peter Jackson Classic): Sandra Haynie
- 05 Jul 1982 Challenger flies to Kennedy Space Center via Ellington AFB, Texas
- 06 Jul 1982 A lunar eclipse (umbral duration 236 min and total duration 106 min, the longest of the 20th century) occurs.
- 07 Jul 1982 David Moorcroft of United Kingdom sets record for 5000m, 13:00.41.
- 08 Jul 1982 7 Brides for 7 Brothers opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 5 performances
- 09 Jul 1982 Botham scores 208 in 225 balls, England vs. India at The Oval
- 10 Jul 1982 Rangers Larry Parrish hits his 3rd grand slam of the week
- 11 Jul 1982 7 Brides for 7 Brothers closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 5 performances
- 12 Jul 1982 Britain announces it is returning 593 Argentine POWs
- 13 Jul 1982 53rd All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 4-1 at Olympic Stadium, Montreal
- 15 Jul 1982 Columbia flies to Kennedy Space Center via Dyess AFB, Texas
- 16 Jul 1982 George P Shultz sworn in as Minister of Foreign Affairs
- 18 Jul 1982 Blues in the Night closes at Rialto Theater NYC after 53 performances
- 19 Jul 1982 1st annual Cracker Jack Oldtimers Classic 75-year-old Luke Appling hits a 250-foot HR off Warren Spahn, AL beats NL 7-2
- 20 Jul 1982 Bombs planted by Irish Republican Army explode in 2 London parks
- 21 Jul 1982 HMS ''Hermes'', the Royal Navy flagship during the Falklands War, returns home to Portsmouth to a hero's welcome.
- 22 Jul 1982 Biggest mass wedding, Rev Sun Myung Moon weds 2,200 couples in New York City
- 23 Jul 1982 FCC approves AM stereo radio, KTSA San Antonio goes stereo
- 24 Jul 1982 KHJ (LA) and KFRC (San Francisco) become 2nd and 3rd stereo AM stations
- 25 Jul 1982 20th Tennis Federation Cup: USA beats Germany in Santa Clara USA (3-0)
- 26 Jul 1982 Karen Dianne Baldwin, 18, of Canada, crowned 31st Miss Universe
- 27 Jul 1982 Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's first visit to US in almost 11 years.
- 29 Jul 1982 Andy Taylor of rock group Duran Duran weds Tracie Wilson
- 30 Jul 1982 Atlanta Braves remove Chief Noc-A-Homa to make room for more seats
- 31 Jul 1982 46 kids and 7 adults die as 2 buses and several cars collide in France
- 01 Aug 1982 Beth Daniel wins LPGA Columbia Savings Golf Classic
- 03 Aug 1982 Clyde King replaces Gene Michaels as New York Yankees' manager.
- 04 Aug 1982 New York Mets' Joel Youngblood singles in Chicago Cubs' day game, then singles for Montreal Expos in Philadelphia night game. (He was traded in between).
- 05 Aug 1982 Stephabue Hix, of Alabama, 18, crowned Miss National Teen-Ager
- 06 Aug 1982 California Doug DeCinces hits 3 HRs again in game (did it 5 days ago also)
- 07 Aug 1982 Italian Prime Minister Giovanni Spadolini resigns.
- 08 Aug 1982 64th PGA Championship: Ray Floyd shoots a 272 at Southern Hills Tulsa
- 11 Aug 1982 Twins Terry Felton loses and runs career to 0-14 (en route to 0-16)
- 12 Aug 1982 Heavy Israeli bombardement of Beirut
- 13 Aug 1982 In Hong Kong, health warnings on cigarette packets are made statutory.Clarence Tsui, ''South China Morning Post'', 12/12/99, webpage: ITobacco330.
- 14 Aug 1982 Atlanta snaps an 11-game losing streak with a 6-5 win over Padres
- 15 Aug 1982 Beth Daniel wins LPGA WUI Golf Classic
- 17 Aug 1982 LA Dodgers beat Chicago Cubs, 6-5, in 21 innings (game completed 8 / 18)
- 18 Aug 1982 1st time NYSE tops 100 M figure, 132.69 M shares traded
- 19 Aug 1982 Renaldo Nehemiah of US sets record for 110 m hurdles, 12.93 seconds.
- 20 Aug 1982 US marines land in Beirut Lebanon
- 21 Aug 1982 Palestinian terrorists are dispersed from Beirut, Lebanon.
- 23 Aug 1982 Lebanese falangist leader Bechir Gemayel elected as President
- 26 Aug 1982 NASA launches Telesat-F.
- 27 Aug 1982 Soyuz T-7 returns to Earth.
- 28 Aug 1982 Sugar Babies closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 1208 performances
- 29 Aug 1982 George Brett gets his 1,500th hit
- 30 Aug 1982 PLO leader Yasser Arafat leaves Beirut
- 01 Sep 1982 Max speedometer reading mandated at 85 mph
- 02 Sep 1982 Tom Baker, American actor, dies of a drug overdose at age 42 (born 1940).
- 04 Sep 1982 Arson fire engulfs apt-hotel in LA, 25 die
- 05 Sep 1982 82nd US Golf Amateur Championship won by Jay Sigel
- 06 Sep 1982 Dutch Internal Minister Mr M Red assigns BVD to spy on communists
- 08 Sep 1982 Dutch social dem party wins elections, fascist enters Dutch parliament
- 09 Sep 1982 Your Arms are Too Short... opens at Alvin NYC for 69 performances
- 10 Sep 1982 Decca releases Beatle audition Complete Silver Beatles album
- 11 Sep 1982 96th US Womens Tennis: C E L Mills beats Hana Mandlikova (63 61)
- 12 Sep 1982 102nd US Mens Tennis: Jimmy Connors beats Ivan Lendl (63 62 46 64)
- 13 Sep 1982 Joe Lefevre gets six hits in one baseball game.
- 14 Sep 1982 36 snow (Red Lodge, MT)
- 15 Sep 1982 Pope John Paul II receives PLO leader Yasser Arafat
- 16 Sep 1982 Massacre of 1000+ Palestinian refugees at Chatila and Sabra begins.
- 17 Sep 1982 New Jersey Devils' first exhibition game, beating the Washington Capitals 3-1 in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
- 18 Sep 1982 Christian militia begin killing six-hundred Palestinians in Lebanon.
- 19 Sep 1982 34th Emmy Awards: Hill St. Blue, Barney Miller, Alan Alda and Carol Kane
- 20 Sep 1982 Jalaluddin takes a one-day hat-trick Pakistan vs. Australia
- 21 Sep 1982 STS-5 vehicle moves to launch pad
- 23 Sep 1982 Amin Gemayel, brother of Bachir, is elected president of Lebanon.
- 24 Sep 1982 US, Italian, and French peacekeeping troops begin arriving in Lebanon.
- 25 Sep 1982 Northwestern ends 34 football game losing streak, beats No Ill 31-6
- 26 Sep 1982 Patty Sheehan wins LPGA SAFECO Golf Classic
- 27 Sep 1982 Cards clinching NL East title
- 28 Sep 1982 1st reports appear of death from cyanide-laced Tylenol capsules
- 29 Sep 1982 1st broadcast of Cheers on NBC-TV
- 30 Sep 1982 National railroad strike in Belgium
- 01 Oct 1982 Sony launches the first consumer compact disc player (model CDP-101).
- 02 Oct 1982 Bomb attack in Teheran, kills 60, injures 700
- 03 Oct 1982 Milwaukee whips Baltimore 10-2 to win AL East championship
- 04 Oct 1982 Helmut Kohl elected chancellor of German FR
- 05 Oct 1982 Hernan Siles Zuazo appointed President of Bolivia
- 07 Oct 1982 Olof Palme forms Swedish government
- 08 Oct 1982 Poland bans Solidarity after having suspended it on 13 December 1981.
- 09 Oct 1982 Attack on synagouge in Rome, 1 dead
- 10 Oct 1982 Brewers beat Angels in ALCS
- 11 Oct 1982 16th Country Music Association Award: Willie Nelson and Ricky Skagg
- 12 Oct 1982 38.6 cm (15.2 inches) of rainfall, Angoon, Alaska (state record).
- 13 Oct 1982 IOC restores 2 gold medals from 1912 Olympics to Jim Thorpe
- 14 Oct 1982 President Reagan proclaims war against drugs
- 15 Oct 1982 The Garn - St Germain Depository Institutions Act deregulates the U.S. savings and loan industry.
- 16 Oct 1982 Devils 1st road victory 6-5 over Penguins
- 17 Oct 1982 1st live orchestra on commerical network since 1954 (National Symphony)
- 19 Oct 1982 Automaker John DeLorean arrested on cocaine charges (Not guilty)
- 20 Oct 1982 Nobel prize for economy awarded to George Stigler
- 22 Oct 1982 Gene Mauch resigns as manager of Angels
- 24 Oct 1982 13th NYC Marathon won by Alberto Salazar in 2:09:29
- 26 Oct 1982 US budget deficit reaches more than $110 trillion for fiscal year 1982
- 27 Oct 1982 IBM ROM is capable of EGA graphics
- 28 Oct 1982 NASA launches RCA-E.
- 29 Oct 1982 Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson release Girl is Mine
- 30 Oct 1982 Portugal revises constitution
- 31 Oct 1982 Pope John Paul II becomes first pontiff to visit Spain.
- 01 Nov 1982 Andrew Dice Clay & George Wendt appear in Trick or Treatment
- 02 Nov 1982 Fire in Salung tunnel, Afghanistan, 1,000+ Russians die
- 03 Nov 1982 The Dow Jones Industrial Average surges 43.41 points, or 4.25 prercent, to close at 1,065.49, its first all-time high in more than nine years.
- 04 Nov 1982 Ruud Lubbers becomes Dutch Premier
- 05 Nov 1982 George Harrison releases Gone Troppo album
- 06 Nov 1982 Joe Altobelli succeeds Earl Weaver as Oriole manager
- 07 Nov 1982 Your Arms are Too Short to Box closes at Alvin NYC after 69 performances
- 08 Nov 1982 In Wethersfield, Connecticut, USA a falling meteorite pierces the roof of a house.
- 09 Nov 1982 Sugar Ray Leonard retires for the first time.
- 10 Nov 1982 IMF lends Mexico $3.8 billion due to threatened bankrupcy
- 11 Nov 1982 5th space shuttle mission-Columbia 5-launches first commercial flight.
- 12 Nov 1982 USSR KGB-chief Yuri V Andropov succeeds Leonid Brezhnev as USSR leader
- 13 Nov 1982 Vietnam War Memorial dedicated in Washington DC
- 14 Nov 1982 Polish Solidarity Chairman Lech Walesa freed
- 16 Nov 1982 5th Space Shuttle Mission-Columbia 5-lands at Edwards Air Force Base.
- 17 Nov 1982 Dale Murphy wins NL MVP
- 18 Nov 1982 Mariasela Alvarez of Dominican Republic, crowned 32nd Miss World
- 20 Nov 1982 Drew Barrymore at age 7 hosts Saturday Night Live
- 22 Nov 1982 Columbia returns to Kennedy Space Center via Kelly AFB, Texas
- 23 Nov 1982 Challenger moves to Vandenberg AFB and mated for STS-6
- 24 Nov 1982 Orioles Cal Ripken is named AL Rookie of Year
- 25 Nov 1982 The Minneapolis Thanksgiving Day Fire destroys an entire city block, including the Northwestern National Bank building and the recently closed Donaldson's Department Store.
- 26 Nov 1982 Yasuhiro Nakasone elected Prime Minister of Japan succeeding Zenko Suzuki
- 27 Nov 1982 5th time Rangers shut-out Islanders 3-0
- 28 Nov 1982 Pirates of Penzance closes at Uris Theater NYC after 772 performances
- 30 Nov 1982 STS-6 vehicle moves to launch pad
- 01 Dec 1982 Dentist Barney B Clark gets 1st artificial heart
- 02 Dec 1982 1st permanent artificial heart successfully implanted (University of Utah) in retired dentist Barney Clark; lived 112 days with Jarvic-7 heart
- 03 Dec 1982 New Jersey Devils 1st hat trick (Steve Tambellini)
- 04 Dec 1982 China adopts its constitution
- 05 Dec 1982 Herschel Walker of Georgia wins Heisman Trophy
- 06 Dec 1982 Bomb attack on Londonderry, North Ireland disco, 17 killed
- 07 Dec 1982 Suriname army under Desi Bouterse fires on radio station building.
- 08 Dec 1982 Herman Van Veen: All of Him opens at Ambassador NYC for 6 performances
- 09 Dec 1982 Mary-Beth and William Hurt divorce
- 10 Dec 1982 Freeman "Amos" Gosden, US radio actor (Amos 'n' Andy), dies at age 83.
- 12 Dec 1982 Herman Van Veen: All of Him closes at Ambassador NYC after 6 performances
- 13 Dec 1982 Earthquake hits Northern Yemen; 2,000 die
- 14 Dec 1982 Marcel Dionne, Los Angeles, California, becomes 9th NHL player to score 500 goals.
- 15 Dec 1982 Bill Parcells becomes the 12th head coach of the New York Giants.
- 16 Dec 1982 Tom Seaver agrees to new contract with New York Mets.
- 22 Dec 1982 William Mastrosimones Extremities, premieres in New York City
- 23 Dec 1982 Jack Webb, actor (Joe Friday - Dragnet), dies of a heart attack at age 62.
- 24 Dec 1982 Chaminade, with a student body of only 850 students, beats #1 ranked Virginia 77-72 in a Honolulu holiday basketball classic.
- 25 Dec 1982 Mudassar Nazar scores century, then Imran rips through Indians.
- 26 Dec 1982 A brief but severe recession begins in the United States.
- 27 Dec 1982 Imran Khan 8-60 to bring innings victory versus India at Karachi.
- 29 Dec 1982 Bob Marley postage stamp issued in Jamaica
- 30 Dec 1982 Anthony Shaffers Whodunnit, premieres in New York City
- 31 Dec 1982 TV soap Doctors ends 19 year run