The children born in this year and subsequent are the millennials of today. The heavy metal band Judas Priest was involved in a multimillion-dollar suit after a boy committed suicide after listening to their song “Better by you Better than Me.” Metallica won their first Grammy award for the Best Metal Performance for their song “One.”
Ghost a movie starring Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, and Whoopi Goldberg was the highest-grossing film at the box office.
Three days before Valentine’s Day, Nelson Mandela walked free out of prison. A court sentenced him to 27 years in prison with hard labor in 1964. Mandela served the first 18 years in a prison on Robben Island in a cell that had neither a bed nor plumbing. He would send and receive a letter once every six months with one 30-minute visitation per year as per to the restrictions of the sentencing. F. W. de Klerk became South Africa’s president in 1989 and set about abolishing apartheid and top on his agenda were the freedom of Mandela. Mandela and de Klerk won the Nobel Peace Prize for their efforts in ending apartheid.
Hardly a year after the fall of the Berlin Wall, Germans from the East and West came together for Unity Day on October 3, 1990. A divided Germany was the playing ground of the cold war. The unification of the country was a significant indication that the cold war was ending.
On July 2, a stampede left over 1,400 dead at a pedestrian tunnel in Mecca. The stampede involved Muslim pilgrims in the annual Hajj pilgrimage. This was another of tragedies that have happened at the pilgrimage. The cause of the incident points at law enforcement lacking proper organizational plans and the massive number of people that turned up.
As at 1990, technology advancement was becoming common and more people had color televisions in their homes. It is the same year that Satoshi Tajiri began creating the world-famous Pokémon game.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 63rd edition of the Oscar ceremony
Dances With Wolves
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1990?
Which were the most popular books released in 1990 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1990
- Mikhail Gorbachev
- Octavio Paz
- Jerome Isaac Friedman
- Henry Way Kendall
- Richard E. Taylor
- Harry Markowitz
- Merton Miller
- William F. Sharpe
- Elias James Corey
Physiology or Medicine
- Joseph Murray
- E. Donnall Thomas
Which were the top hits of 1990?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Partners In Kryme - Turtle Power
- Paula Abdul With The Wild Pair - Opposites Attract
- Maria McKee - Show Me Heaven
- The Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody
- Elton John - Sacrifice / Healing Hands
- The Adventures Of Stevie V - Dirty Cash
- Adamski - Killer
- Kylie Minogue - Tears On My Pillow
- The Beautiful South - A Little Time
- Bombalurina - Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1990
- Total population: 5.3 billion (5,327,231,061 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.3 billion, that is 43.0% of the total population of 1990 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +89.6 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.71%
- Average density: 36.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1990?
- 01 Jan 1990 New York City MTA stops token redemption at subway stations
- 02 Jan 1990 Sting joins wrestlings 4 Horsemen (Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson)
- 03 Jan 1990 Former leader of Panama Manuel Noriega surrenders to American forces.
- 04 Jan 1990 Two trains collide in Sangi, Pakistan, killing between 200 and 300 people and injuring an estimated 700 others.
- 05 Jan 1990 J Donald Crump appointed 8th Commissioner of Canadian Football League.
- 06 Jan 1990 New York Lotto pays US$35 million to one winner (numbers are 18-25-26-32-42-44).
- 07 Jan 1990 Tower Of Pisa closed to the public after leaning too far
- 09 Jan 1990 64th US manned space mission STS 32 (Columbia 10) launches into orbit
- 10 Jan 1990 Les Miserables, opens at Mechanic Theatre, Baltimore
- 11 Jan 1990 Actor Joseph Cotton undergoes vocal cancer operation at 84
- 12 Jan 1990 Civil Rights activist Reverand Al Sharpton is stabbed in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn.
- 13 Jan 1990 1st elected US black Governor inaugurated (Douglas Wilder-Virginia)
- 14 Jan 1990 Simpsons premiered on Fox-TV
- 15 Jan 1990 6th Soap Opera Digest Awards - Knots Landing wins
- 17 Jan 1990 5th Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Awards: Bobby Darin
- 18 Jan 1990 Washington, D.C., Mayor Marion Barry is arrested for drug possession in an FBI sting.
- 19 Jan 1990 Test debut of Mushtaq Ahmed, versus Australia at Adelaide.
- 20 Jan 1990 47th Golden Globes: Born on Fourth of July, Driving Miss Daisy win.
- 21 Jan 1990 Bob Goodenow succeeds Alan Eagleson as NHL players association executive director.
- 22 Jan 1990 17th American Music Awards: Milli Vanilli.
- 23 Jan 1990 Allen Larkin Collins, guitarist, dies of pneumonia at age 37. Collins was one of the founding members and guitarists of Southern US rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd.
- 24 Jan 1990 Japanese MUSES-A (Hiten) launched towards moon.
- 25 Jan 1990 Former Panamanian leader Manuel Noriega is transferred to a Miami Florida jail.
- 26 Jan 1990 Annular eclipse visible over Antarctica and South Atlantic.
- 28 Jan 1990 Independent on Sunday begins publishing in London
- 29 Jan 1990 Exxon Valdez Captain Joseph Hazelwood goes on trial due to oil spill
- 31 Jan 1990 1st ever all-sports daily National begins publishing
- 01 Feb 1990 Nintendo ships the Super Mario Bros. 3 video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System in the US.
- 02 Feb 1990 Marina Ogilvy (daughter of Engl Princess Alexandra) weds Paul Mowatt
- 03 Feb 1990 New York Mets' Darryl Strawberry voluntarily enters Smither Center for alcohol rehabilitation.
- 04 Feb 1990 Lyudmila Narozhi-Lenko runs world record 60 metre hurdles indoor (7.69).
- 05 Feb 1990 Notre Dame becomes first team to sell its game to a major network (NBC).
- 06 Feb 1990 Brett Hull becomes first son of NHL 50 goal scorer (Bobby) to score 50.
- 07 Feb 1990 Lisa Leslie of Morningside HS in Inglewood California scores 101 in 1st half, South Torrance HS decides not to play 2nd half and loses 102-24
- 08 Feb 1990 60 Minutes commentator Andy Rooney suspended by CBS for racial remarks attributed to him by a gay magazine
- 09 Feb 1990 Bradys return to TV for 6 episodes on CBS TV
- 10 Feb 1990 6th Largest wrestling crowd (63,900 - Tokyo Dome)
- 11 Feb 1990 US male Figure Skating championship won by Todd Eldredge.
- 12 Feb 1990 Carmen Lawrence becomes the first female Premier in Australian history when she becomes Premier of Western Australia.
- 13 Feb 1990 US, England, France and England give Germany OK to reunify
- 14 Feb 1990 Space probe Voyager 1 takes photograph of entire solar system
- 15 Feb 1990 Baseball owners lock out players
- 16 Feb 1990 Keith Haring, American artist/cartoonist (brilliant baby), dies of AIDS at age 31 (born 1954).
- 18 Feb 1990 Jane Crafter wins LPGA Phar-Mor at Inverrary Golf Tournament.
- 19 Feb 1990 Police kill eight demonstrators for multi-party system in Nepal.
- 21 Feb 1990 32nd Grammy Awards: "Wind Beneath My Wings", Nick of Time win.
- 24 Feb 1990 Beth Daniel wins LPGA Orix Hawaiian Ladies Golf Open.
- 25 Feb 1990 Nicaraguans votes out Sandinistas
- 26 Feb 1990 USSR agrees to withdraw all 73,500 troops from Czechoslovakia by July, 1991.
- 27 Feb 1990 Exxon Corp and Exxon Shipping are indicted on five criminal counts for the grounding and oil spill of the Exxon Valdez.
- 28 Feb 1990 US 65th manned space mission STS 36 (Atlantis 6) launches into orbit
- 01 Mar 1990 Benin nullifies its constitution.
- 02 Mar 1990 Greyhound Bus workers go on strike.
- 03 Mar 1990 Carole Gist, 20, (Michigan 1st black), crowned 39th Miss USA
- 04 Mar 1990 20th Easter Seal Telethon
- 05 Mar 1990 Gloria Carter Spann, President Carter's sister, dies at age 63 from cancer.
- 06 Mar 1990 American SR-71 sets a transcontinental record, flying 2,404 miles in 1:08:17.
- 07 Mar 1990 Three passengers killed and 162 injured as subway train derails in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
- 08 Mar 1990 New York City's Zodiac killer shoots first victim, Mario Orosco.
- 09 Mar 1990 Dr Antonia Novello sworn-in as 1st hispanic / female US surgeon general
- 10 Mar 1990 4th American Comedy Awards: When Harry Met Sally.
- 11 Mar 1990 Maggie Will wins Desert Inn LPGA Golf International.
- 12 Mar 1990 Cold War: Soviet soldiers begin leaving Hungary under terms of an agreement to withdraw all Soviet troops by June 1.
- 13 Mar 1990 Nicholoas Braithwaite elected premier of Grenada.
- 14 Mar 1990 Mikhail S Gorbachev becomes President of the Soviet Congress
- 15 Mar 1990 Tom Harmon, NFL tail back (Heisman Trophy), dies in Los Angeles at age 70.
- 17 Mar 1990 PBA National Championship Won by Jim Pencak.
- 18 Mar 1990 1st free elections in East Germany, Conservatives beat Communists
- 19 Mar 1990 The ethnic clashes of Targu Mures begin four days after the anniversary of the Revolutions of 1848 in the Habsburg areas.
- 20 Mar 1990 Singer Gloria Estefan breaks her collarbone in a bus accident
- 21 Mar 1990 Normal Life starring Moon Unit and Dweezil Zappa premieres on CBS-TV
- 22 Mar 1990 Grapes of Wrath opens at Cort Theater NYC for 188 performances
- 23 Mar 1990 Former Exxon Valdez Captain Joseph Hazelwood ordered to help clean up Prince William Sound and pay $50,000 in restitution for 1989 oil spill.
- 24 Mar 1990 Tom Hunter swims world record 50-metre freestyle (21.81 seconds).
- 25 Mar 1990 Lettice & Lovage opens at Barrymore Theater NYC for 284 performances
- 26 Mar 1990 62nd Academy Awards: Driving Miss Daisy, Daniel Day-Lewis, Jessica Tandy win.
- 27 Mar 1990 Bus accidentally touches high voltage wire in Karagpur, India; 21 die.
- 28 Mar 1990 U.S. President George H. W. Bush posthumously awards Jesse Owens the Congressional Gold Medal.
- 29 Mar 1990 New York City's Zodiac killer shoots second victim, Germaine Montenesdro.
- 30 Mar 1990 Jack Nicklaus makes his debut in the "Seniors" golf tournament.
- 31 Mar 1990 Carol & Company starring Carol Burnette premieres on NBC-TV
- 01 Apr 1990 Jack Nicklaus wins 1st start on Senior PGA tour
- 04 Apr 1990 Marshall Chronicles premieres on ABC-TV
- 05 Apr 1990 Paul Newman wins a court victory over Julius Gold, to keep giving all profits from Newman foods to charity
- 06 Apr 1990 Robert Mapplethorpe's quotThe Perfect Momentquot show of nude and homoerotic photographs opens at the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center, in spite of accusations of indecency by Citizens for Community Values.
- 07 Apr 1990 Farm Aid IV concert
- 08 Apr 1990 Aspects of Love opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 377 performances
- 09 Apr 1990 Capital News starring Lloyd Bridges premieres on ABC-TV
- 10 Apr 1990 CUNY/Lehman College, Bronx, opens a branch campus in Hiroshma, Japan.
- 11 Apr 1990 New York Rangers beat the New York Islanders 6-1, Rangers lead 3-1 in preliminary
- 12 Apr 1990 James Brown moves to a work-release center after serving 15 months
- 13 Apr 1990 New York Rangers beat the New York Islanders 6-5, Rangers win preliminary, 4-1
- 15 Apr 1990 In Living Color premieres on FOX-TV
- 16 Apr 1990 Piano Lesson opens at Walter Kerr Theater NYC for 320 performances
- 17 Apr 1990 Reverend Ralph David Abernathy, American civil rights activist, dies at 64 (born 1926).
- 18 Apr 1990 Birmingham Fire issued an original franchise in the WLAF.
- 19 Apr 1990 Contra guerrillas, leftist Sandinistas and incoming government agree to truce in Nicaragua's civil war.
- 20 Apr 1990 Pete Rose pleads guilty to hiding $300,000 in income.
- 21 Apr 1990 Cartoon All Stars to Rescue shown on all 4 TV networks
- 22 Apr 1990 Truly Blessed opens at Longacre Theater NYC for 33 performances
- 23 Apr 1990 11th Emmy Sports Award presentation
- 24 Apr 1990 US 66th manned space mission STS 31 (Discovery 10) launches into orbit
- 25 Apr 1990 Hubble space telescope is placed into orbit by shuttle Discovery.
- 26 Apr 1990 Accomplice opens at Richard Rodgers Theater NYC for 52 performances
- 27 Apr 1990 50th annual barbershop quartet singing convention held (Michigan).
- 28 Apr 1990 Chorus Line closes at Shubert Theater in New York City after 6,137 performances (15 years).
- 29 Apr 1990 Change in the Heir opens at Edison Theater NYC for 16 performances
- 30 Apr 1990 As Met pitcher David Cone argues a call at 1st base, 2 Braves score
- 01 May 1990 Prelude to a Kiss opens at Helen Hayes Theater, New York City
- 02 May 1990 Some Americans Abroad opens at Vivian Beaumont NYC for 62 performances
- 04 May 1990 Angela Bowie reveals that ex husband David slept with Mick Jagger
- 05 May 1990 ABC Masters Bowling Tournament won by Chris Warren.
- 06 May 1990 Tom Cruise is ticketed for careless operation of a vehicle in SC
- 08 May 1990 Cuyahoga County voters approve sin tax to build Cleveland Gateway.
- 09 May 1990 New York Newsday reporter Jimmy Breslin suspended for a racial slur
- 10 May 1990 Howard Stern holds a mock funeral for rival John DeBella
- 11 May 1990 New York Yankees trade Dave Winfield to California Angels for Mike Witt.
- 12 May 1990 3rd time Saturday Night Live uses time delay (Andrew Dice Clay hosts)
- 13 May 1990 Change in the Heir closes at Edison Theater NYC after 16 performances
- 14 May 1990 Dow Jones Average hits a record 2,821.53
- 15 May 1990 Cemetery Club opens at Brooks Atkinson Theater NYC for 56 performances
- 16 May 1990 Juventus wins 19th UEFA Cup in Avellino.
- 17 May 1990 Dow Jones Average hits a record 2,831.71
- 18 May 1990 Judy Carne arrested at JFK airport on an 11 year old drug warrant
- 19 May 1990 General Elvis, TV Drama last airs on ABC
- 20 May 1990 Truly Blessed closes at Longacre Theater NYC after 33 performances
- 21 May 1990 Dow Jones Average hits a record 2,844.68
- 22 May 1990 Andre Dawson sets record being intentionally walked 5 times
- 23 May 1990 Dow Jones Average hits a record 2,856.26
- 24 May 1990 Andre Dawson receives a record 5 intentional walks in a game
- 27 May 1990 74th Indianapolis 500 runs; Arie Luyendyk wins with an average speed of 185.981 mph.
- 28 May 1990 Dave Thomas Comedy Show, debuts on CBS-TV
- 29 May 1990 An earthquake hit Peru, killing 56
- 30 May 1990 135 die in a (6.4) earthquake in Peru
- 31 May 1990 Seinfeld starring Jerry Seinfeld, debuts on NBC as Seinfeld Chronicles
- 01 Jun 1990 Cemetery Club closes at Brooks Atkinson Theater NYC after 56 performances
- 02 Jun 1990 Turtle Power by Partners In Kryme hits #13
- 03 Jun 1990 44th Tony Awards: Grapes of Wrath and City of Angels win
- 04 Jun 1990 24th Music City News Country Awards: R Van Shelton and Patty Loveless
- 06 Jun 1990 2nd International Rock Awards
- 07 Jun 1990 Michael Jackson hospitalized for chest pains
- 08 Jun 1990 Phil Bradley hits the 18th inside-the-park home run in Baltimore Orioles' history.
- 09 Jun 1990 122nd Belmont: Michael Kinane aboard Go and Go wins in 2:27.2
- 10 Jun 1990 Accomplice closes at Richard Rodgers Theater NYC after 52 performances
- 11 Jun 1990 Federal judge sentenced former national security adviser John M Poindexter to 6 months for making false statements to Congress
- 12 Jun 1990 Egypt (500-1 longshot) ties favorite Netherlands 1-1 in World Cup game
- 13 Jun 1990 Les Miserables, opens at S Alberta Jubilee Centre, Calgary
- 14 Jun 1990 44th NBA Championship: Detroit Pistons beat Por Trailblazers, 4 games to 1
- 15 Jun 1990 Dick Tracy with Warren Beatty and Madonna premieres
- 16 Jun 1990 Nelson andWinnie Mandela visit Leidseplein, Amsterdam
- 17 Jun 1990 Some Americans Abroad closes at Vivian Beaumont NYC after 62 performances
- 19 Jun 1990 The current international law defending indigenous peoples, Indigenous and Tribal Peoples Convention, 1989, is ratified for the first time by Norway.
- 20 Jun 1990 40,000-50,000 die in a (7.6) earthquake in Iran
- 21 Jun 1990 At Yankee Stadium rally, Nelson Mandela dons a New York Yankee baseball cap and proclaims I am a Yankee!
- 22 Jun 1990 Billy Joel performs a concert at Yankee Stadium
- 23 Jun 1990 A rally to save Alien Nation from cancellation held at Stat of Liberty
- 24 Jun 1990 Patty Sheehan wins LPGA Rochester Golf International
- 25 Jun 1990 Dave Thomas Comedy Show, last airs on CBS-TV
- 26 Jun 1990 8 KS and OK radio stations boycott k d lang, due to her anti-meat ad
- 27 Jun 1990 Salman Rushdie, condemned to death by Iran, contributes $8600 to help their earthquake victims
- 28 Jun 1990 17th annual Daytime Emmy Awards
- 29 Jun 1990 Marla Maples father sues National Enquirer for $12M
- 30 Jun 1990 East Germany and West Germany merge their economies.
- 01 Jul 1990 11th US Seniors Golf Open: Lee Trevino
- 02 Jul 1990 Panic in tunnel of Mecca: 1,426 pilgrims trampled to death
- 03 Jul 1990 Members of 2 Live Crew formally charged with obscenity in Florida
- 04 Jul 1990 2 Live Crew release Banned in the USA the lyrics quote Star Spangled Banner and Gettysburg Address
- 05 Jul 1990 Zina Garrison upsets Steffi Graf in Wimbeldon semi-finals.
- 06 Jul 1990 After pitching a no-hitter lose, New York Yankee Andy Hawkins pitches a complete 12 inn game and loses 2-0
- 07 Jul 1990 97th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: M Navratilova beats Z Garrison (64 61)
- 08 Jul 1990 12:34:56 on 7 / 8 / 90 (1234567890)
- 09 Jul 1990 104th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: S Edberg beats B Becker (62 62 36 36 64)
- 10 Jul 1990 61st All Star Baseball Game: AL wins 2-0 at Wrigley Field, Chicago
- 11 Jul 1990 New York City police arrest "Dartman" (stabbed over 50 women with darts).
- 12 Jul 1990 Les Miserables, opens at National Theatre, Washington
- 13 Jul 1990 An earthquake with its epicentre in Afghanistan results in the greatest number of fatalities in a mountaineering accident in High Asian mountains when an avalanche kills 43 climbers in Camp I on Pik Lenina (Lenin Peak).
- 16 Jul 1990 400 die in a (7.7) earthquake in Philippines
- 17 Jul 1990 Minn Twins become 1st team to turn 2 triple plays in a game but lose to Boston Red Sox 1-0
- 19 Jul 1990 Dave Raghetti pitches in his 499th game as a New York Yankee, passing Whitey Ford in most appearances as a New York Yankee
- 20 Jul 1990 Justice William Brennan resigns from the US Supreme Court after 36 years.
- 21 Jul 1990 Goodwill Games opens in Seattle, Washington.
- 22 Jul 1990 119th British Golf Open: Nick Faldo shoots 270 at St. Andrews Scotland
- 23 Jul 1990 Rosie Jones, (St. Louis), 26, crowned 22nd Miss Black America
- 24 Jul 1990 Ms. Magazine hits newstands again after an 8 month hiatus
- 25 Jul 1990 Les Miserables, opens at Princess Elizabeth Theatre, Vancouver
- 26 Jul 1990 General Hospital tapes its 7,000th episode
- 27 Jul 1990 White-Russia declares independence
- 28 Jul 1990 Blackout hits Chicago
- 29 Jul 1990 26th Curtis Cup: US wins 14-4
- 30 Jul 1990 5 Bank of Credit and Commerce members found guilty of money
- 31 Jul 1990 Bosnia-Hercegovina declares independence
- 01 Aug 1990 Soyuz TM-10 launches
- 02 Aug 1990 Iraq invades and occupies Kuwait, Emir flees to Saudi Arabia
- 03 Aug 1990 Little Night Music opens at New York State Theater NYC for 11 performances
- 04 Aug 1990 European community proposes a boycott of Iraq.
- 05 Aug 1990 Barb Mucha wins LPGA Boston Five Golf Classic
- 06 Aug 1990 President Ghulam Ishaq Kahn dismisses Premier Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan
- 07 Aug 1990 Saudi Arabia allows US troops on their soil to stop an Iraqi invasion.
- 08 Aug 1990 Iraq annexes Kuwait as its 19th province
- 10 Aug 1990 American Magellan spacecraft lands on Venus.
- 11 Aug 1990 Egypt and Morocco troops land in Saudi Arabia to prevent Iraqi invasion.
- 12 Aug 1990 72nd PGA Championship: Wayne Grady shoots a 282 at Shoal Creek Ala
- 14 Aug 1990 Denver votes for a 1 percent sales tax to pay for a baseball franchise.
- 15 Aug 1990 51st PGA Seniors Golf Championship: Gary Player
- 16 Aug 1990 Iraq orders 4000 Britons and 2500 Americans in Kuwait to Iraq.
- 17 Aug 1990 Exorcist 3 premieres
- 18 Aug 1990 B.F. Skinner, American psychologist (Skinner Box), dies from Leukemia at age 86 (born 1904).
- 19 Aug 1990 Betsy King wins LPGA JAL Big Apple Golf Classic
- 20 Aug 1990 Gene Michael names New York Yankee VP / GM replacing Harding Peterson
- 21 Aug 1990 Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone send peacekeepers to intervene in the First Liberian Civil War.
- 22 Aug 1990 US President George Bush calls up military reserves.
- 23 Aug 1990 US begins call up of 46,000 reservists to the Persian Gulf
- 24 Aug 1990 3,500 peacekeepers arrive in Liberia
- 26 Aug 1990 Beth Daniel wins LPGA Northgate Golf Classic
- 27 Aug 1990 Brewers-Blue Jays game is delayed 35 minutes due to gnats
- 28 Aug 1990 Stefan Edberg (#1 seeded player) loses in 1st round to Alex Volkov
- 29 Aug 1990 Saddam Hussein declares America can't beat Iraq.
- 30 Aug 1990 Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey Jr become 1st father and son to play on same team (Seattle Mariners), both single in 1st inning
- 31 Aug 1990 Dennis Eckersley saves his 40th game of the season
- 01 Sep 1990 Heidi Chronicles closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 621 performances
- 02 Sep 1990 Grapes of Wrath closes at Cort Theater NYC after 188 performances
- 03 Sep 1990 9th no-hitter of 1990: Blue Jay Dave Steib beats Cleveland 3-0
- 04 Sep 1990 Jerry Lewis' 25th Muscular Dystrophy telethon raises $44,172,186.
- 05 Sep 1990 Iraqi President Saddam Hussein urges Arabs to rise against the West.
- 06 Sep 1990 In Burma, the State Law and Order Restoration Council orders the arrest of Aung San Suu Kyi and five other political dissidents.
- 07 Sep 1990 Street Scene opens at New York State Theater NYC for 6 performances
- 08 Sep 1990 104th US Womens Tennis: Gabriela Sabatini beats Steffi Graf (62 76)
- 09 Sep 1990 110th US Mens Tennis: Pete Sampras beats Andre Agassi (64 63 62)
- 10 Sep 1990 1st time since 1966 that all 8 grand slam tennis champs are different
- 11 Sep 1990 Cold War: The two German states and the Four Powers sign the Treaty on the Final Settlement With Respect to Germany in Moscow, paving the way for German reunification.
- 12 Sep 1990 Les Miserables, opens at Cirkus Theater, Stockholm
- 13 Sep 1990 Commuter train at Johannesburg South Africa attacked, 36 die
- 14 Sep 1990 Ken Griffey, Sr and Jr, hit back-to-back HRs in 1st inning
- 15 Sep 1990 42nd Emmy Awards - LA Law and Murphy Brown win
- 16 Sep 1990 42nd Emmy Awards: LA Law, Murphy Brown, Peter Falk and Patricia Wettig
- 17 Sep 1990 Newspaper Guild votes 242-35 to keep New York Post publishing.
- 18 Sep 1990 Atlanta is chosen to host 1996 (centennial) Summer Olympics
- 20 Sep 1990 Saddam Hussein demands US networks broadcast his message.
- 21 Sep 1990 Pirate Bobby Bond is 2nd to hit 30 HRs and steal 50 bases in a season (so he can play in 6 decades) because it is a publicity stunt
- 22 Sep 1990 Andre Dawson steals his 300th base and is only player other than Willie Mays to have 300 home runs, 300 steals and 2,000 hits.
- 23 Sep 1990 Nancy Lopez wins MBS LPGA Golf Classic
- 24 Sep 1990 East Germany leaves Warsaw Pact
- 25 Sep 1990 Saddam Hussein warns that US will repeat Vietnam experience
- 26 Sep 1990 Motion Picture Association of America creates new NC-17 rating.
- 27 Sep 1990 Dee Dee Ramone arrested on marijuana possession
- 28 Sep 1990 Exiled emir of Kuwait visits White House
- 29 Sep 1990 Love & Affection by Nelson peaks at #1 on pop singles chart
- 30 Sep 1990 Chicago White Sox beat Seattle 2-1 in last game at Comiskey Park
- 01 Oct 1990 10,000 Uganda RPF rebels move into Rwanda
- 02 Oct 1990 Michael Feinstein in Concert - opens at Golden NYC for 30 performances
- 03 Oct 1990 East Germany and West Germany merge to become Germany
- 04 Oct 1990 Stand Up Tragedy opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 13 performances
- 05 Oct 1990 Cincinnati jury acquits art gallery of obscenity (Mapplethorpe photos).
- 06 Oct 1990 Spacecraft Ulysses launched towards pole of Sun
- 07 Oct 1990 Beth Daniel wins LPGA Centel Golf Classic
- 08 Oct 1990 24th Country Music Association Award: George Strait wins
- 09 Oct 1990 David Hackett Souter, sworn in as Supreme Court Justice
- 10 Oct 1990 Oakland Athletics sweep Red Sox in 4 games to win ALCS
- 11 Oct 1990 Miser opens at Circle in the Square Theater NYC for 93 performances
- 13 Oct 1990 Target Center in Minneapolis opens
- 14 Oct 1990 Cathy Gerring wins LPGA Trophee Urban World Golf Championship
- 15 Oct 1990 Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev wins Nobel Peace Prize
- 16 Oct 1990 Stand Up Tragedy closes at Criterion Theater NYC after 13 performances
- 17 Oct 1990 Jackie Mason - Brand New opens at Neil Simon NYC for 216 performances
- 18 Oct 1990 Once on this Island opens at Booth Theater NYC for 469 performances
- 19 Oct 1990 HCA, Helsinki Citizens Assembly, forms in Prague
- 20 Oct 1990 3 members of 2 Live Crew acquitted on obsenity charges in Florida
- 21 Oct 1990 Esther Canseco calls Oakland Athletics manager Tony La Russa a punk for not starting husband Jose in the World Series
- 23 Oct 1990 Iraq announces release of 330 French hostages.
- 24 Oct 1990 Italian prime minister Giulio Andreotti reveals to the Italian parliament the existence of Gladio, the Italian ''stay-behind'' clandestine paramilitary NATO army.
- 25 Oct 1990 New York Daily News goes on strike (lasts through March, 1991).
- 26 Oct 1990 William Anthony Odom, North Carolina 15-year-old, accidentally hangs himself staging a gallows scene at a Halloween party.
- 27 Oct 1990 Michael Feinstein in Concert closes at Golden NYC after 30 performances
- 29 Oct 1990 30 die in a (5.7) earthquake in Algeria
- 30 Oct 1990 England-France complete Chunnel
- 31 Oct 1990 Pakistan make 3-0 drubbing of New Zealand, Waqar Younis 29 series wkts
- 01 Nov 1990 Oh, Kay! opens at Richard Rodgers Theater NYC for 77 performances
- 02 Nov 1990 1st NBA game at Target Center, Minn Timberwolves beat Mavericks 98-85
- 03 Nov 1990 Gro Harlem Brundtland installed as Premier of Norway
- 04 Nov 1990 Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story opens at Shubert NYC for 225 performances
- 05 Nov 1990 Disney's Yacht Club Resort hotel opens in Walt Disney World in Florida.
- 06 Nov 1990 Braves Dave Justice wins NL Rookie of Year
- 07 Nov 1990 Little Night Music closes at New York State NYC after 11 performances
- 08 Nov 1990 6 Degrees of Separation opens at Vivian Beaumont NYC for 496 performances
- 09 Nov 1990 Tanzania government of Malecela forms
- 10 Nov 1990 Lebanon releases two French hostages (Camille Sontag and Marcel Coudari).
- 11 Nov 1990 Shadowlands opens at Brooks Atkinson Theater NYC for 169 performances
- 12 Nov 1990 Crown Prince Akihito is formally installed as Emperor Akihito of Japan, becoming the 125th Japanese monarch.
- 13 Nov 1990 In Aramoana, New Zealand, David Gray shoots dead 13 people, in what becomes known as the Aramoana Massacre.
- 14 Nov 1990 Doug Drabek (22-6) wins NL Cy Young Award
- 15 Nov 1990 US 68th manned space mission STS 38 (Atlantis 7) launches into orbit
- 16 Nov 1990 Manuel Noriega claims US denied him a fair trial.
- 17 Nov 1990 Fugendake, part of the Mount Unzen volcanic complex, Nagasaki prefecture, Japan becomes active again and erupts.
- 18 Nov 1990 Fiddler on the Roof opens at Gershwin Theater NYC for 241 performances
- 19 Nov 1990 Greyhound files reorganization plan so they can be traded publicly.
- 20 Nov 1990 Sacramento Kings last NBA win on the road for over a year
- 21 Nov 1990 Michael Milken is sentenced to ten years for security law violations.
- 22 Nov 1990 George Bush visits US troops in Saudi Arabia
- 23 Nov 1990 Model Cheryl Tiegs marries actor Tony Peck
- 25 Nov 1990 78th CFL Grey Cup: Winn Blue Bombers defeat Edmonton Eskimos, 50-11
- 26 Nov 1990 1st Billboard Music Awards: Janet Jackson wins
- 27 Nov 1990 Women's suffrage was introduced in the last Swiss half canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden.
- 28 Nov 1990 Gulf War: The United Nations Security Council passes UN Security Council Resolution 678, authorizing military intervention in Iraq if that nation does not withdraw its forces from Kuwait and free all foreign hostages by Tuesday, January 15, 1991.
- 29 Nov 1990 Shogun - The Musical opens at Marquis Theater NYC for 72 performances
- 30 Nov 1990 Actor Burt Lancaster suffers a stroke
- 01 Dec 1990 New York Knicks' Patrick Ewing scores 50 points beating Charlotte Hornets 113-96.
- 02 Dec 1990 1st parlimentary election in newly reunified Germany
- 03 Dec 1990 At Detroit Metropolitan Airport, Northwest Airlines Flight 1482 (a McDonnell Douglas DC-9) collides with Northwest Airlines Flight 299 (a Boeing 727) on the runway, killing 8 passengers and 4 crewmembers on Flight 1482.
- 04 Dec 1990 Due to Persian Gulf crisis gas hits $1.60 per gallon price in New York City, New York.
- 05 Dec 1990 Blue Jays trade F McGriff and T Fernandez to SD for R Alomar and J Carter
- 06 Dec 1990 Saddam anounces release of all foreign hostages.
- 07 Dec 1990 Ted Turner and Jane Fonda announce their engagement
- 08 Dec 1990 Galileo Earth-1 Flyby.
- 09 Dec 1990 Houston scores most points against Cleveland, Oilers 58, Browns 14
- 10 Dec 1990 Space Shuttle STS 35 (Columbia 11) lands
- 11 Dec 1990 US 69th manned space mission STS 35 (Columbia 11) returns from space
- 12 Dec 1990 US ambassador to Kuwait, Nathaniel Howell, leaves Kuwait.
- 13 Dec 1990 Peter Pan opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 45 performances
- 14 Dec 1990 Right to Die case permits Nancy Cruzan to have her feeding tube removed, she dies 12 days later
- 15 Dec 1990 Rocker Rod Stewart marries supermodel Rachel Hunter.
- 16 Dec 1990 KUSW, Salt Lake City Utah, final shortwave radio transmissions
- 17 Dec 1990 KTBN, Salt Lake City Utah, begins shortwave radio transmissions
- 18 Dec 1990 NL releases short list of teams for 1993 NL expansion
- 20 Dec 1990 Pentagon warns Saddam Hussein that US air power is ready to attack on January 15.
- 22 Dec 1990 Israeli ferry capsizes killing 21 US servicemen.
- 23 Dec 1990 Lettice & Lovage closes at Barrymore Theater NYC after 284 performances
- 24 Dec 1990 Ramsewak Shankar is ousted as President of Suriname by a military coup .
- 25 Dec 1990 Godfather III premieres
- 26 Dec 1990 Garry Kasparov beats Antatoly Karpov to retain chess championship
- 28 Dec 1990 Two die in a New York City subway accident.
- 29 Dec 1990 Olympic gymnast Mary Lou Retton weds Shannon Kelley.
- 30 Dec 1990 Miser closes at Circle in the Square Theater NYC after 93 performances
- 31 Dec 1990 United Somali Congress seizes Presidential Palace.