1988 was a year of many important shifts in global affairs, especially in the Middle East. This was the year that the Soviet Union agreed to withdraw troops from Afghanistan under the Geneva Accords. After years of bitter fighting, the quagmire that the Soviets found themselves in became too costly and they eventually withdrew from Afghan territory, reminding the world once again that Afghanistan is the Graveyard of Empires.
In a related development, this is also the year that the international terrorist group, Al Qaeda, was formed by Osama bin Laden and other veterans of the Soviet-Afghan War.
At the same time that the Soviet-Afghan conflict was drawing to a close, another war was coming to an end. In August of 1988, the brutal Iran-Iraq War came to an end after eight years of fighting. While it is difficult to say with any certainty how many people died in the war, the figure is likely well into the hundreds of thousands. The political result was a stalemate, and would set the stage for future conflict in the region as both of the rival countries vied for superior geopolitical positioning.
The Cold War was, at this point, beginning to come to a close, and some Soviet leaders saw the need for a change in economic policy. Dubbed “perestroika” or “restructuring,” the idea was to begin the restructuring process of the political and economic system of the Soviet Union. Led by Mikhail Gorbachev, these liberalizing reforms were meant to provide some semblance of a market economy that could allow for greater productivity in the Soviet economy, thereby increasing the standard of living for the average Soviet consumer. As the reforms went on, however, it seemed that people saw this as the beginning of the end of the old command economy. Indeed, it is possible that this restructuring helped bring down the Soviet system.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 61st edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1988?
Which were the most popular books released in 1988 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1988
- United Nations Peace-Keeping Forces
- Naguib Mahfouz
- Leon M. Lederman
- Melvin Schwartz
- Jack Steinberger
- Maurice Allais
- Johann Deisenhofer
- Robert Huber
- Hartmut Michel
Physiology or Medicine
- James W. Black
- Gertrude B. Elion
- George H. Hitchings
Which were the top hits of 1988?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Steve Winwood - Roll With It
- Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car
- Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror
- Gloria Estefan - Anything For You
- Chicago - Look Away
- Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
- Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
- George Michael - One More Try
- Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me
- The Escape Club - Wild, Wild West
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Kylie Minogue - Got To Be Certain
- Enya - Orinoco Flow
- The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
- Yazz & The Plastic Population - The Only Way Is Up
- Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky
- Brother Beyond - The Harder I Try
- Bros - I Owe You Nothing
- Aswad - Don't Turn Around
- Robin Beck - First Time
- Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1988
- Total population: 5.1 billion (5,145,426,008 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.2 billion, that is 42.0% of the total population of 1988 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +93.0 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.84%
- Average density: 35.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1988?
- 01 Jan 1988 Year of the Reader begins
- 02 Jan 1988 Mulroney and Reagan sign Canada-US free trade agreement
- 03 Jan 1988 Israel orders nine Palestinian "instigators" deported from West Beirut.
- 08 Jan 1988 Dow Jones down 140.58 points
- 09 Jan 1988 English Earl of Saint Andrews marries Sylvana Tomaselli.
- 11 Jan 1988 Test debut of Phil Simmons, West Indies versus India, Madras.
- 12 Jan 1988 Willie Stargell (Pittsburgh Pirates player), elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 13 Jan 1988 LA Dodger / SD Padre Steve Garvey retires
- 15 Jan 1988 Narendra Hirwani takes 16-136 (8-61 and 8-75) versus West Indies on Test debut.
- 16 Jan 1988 4th Soap Opera Digest Awards - Days of Our Live wins
- 17 Jan 1988 Teddy & Alice closes at Minskoff Theater NYC after 77 performances
- 18 Jan 1988 Airliner crashes in southwest China, killing all 108 on board.
- 19 Jan 1988 48 Hours premiers on CBS-TV
- 20 Jan 1988 Arizona committee opens hearing on impeachment of Governor Evan Mecham.
- 21 Jan 1988 US accepts immigration of 30,000 US-Vietnamese children.
- 22 Jan 1988 Mike Tyson TKOs Larry Holmes in four rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
- 23 Jan 1988 45th Golden Globes: The Last Emperor, Sally Kirkland, Michael Douglas.
- 24 Jan 1988 9th ACE Cable Awards
- 25 Jan 1988 George Harrison releases When We Was Fab
- 26 Jan 1988 Phantom of the Opera opens at Majestic Theater in New York City, New York for 4,000+ performances.
- 27 Jan 1988 US Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approves nomination of Judge Anthony M Kennedy to US Supreme Court.
- 28 Jan 1988 Saratina! opens at Cort Theater NYC for 597 performances
- 29 Jan 1988 Largest NBA crowd-Boston Celtics at Detroit Pistons (61,938).
- 30 Jan 1988 Hansie Cronje gets a pair in second first-class game (OFS versus N Tvl).
- 31 Jan 1988 Barge sinks near Anacortes, Washington, USA, spills 70,000 gallons of oil.
- 01 Feb 1988 Heather O'Rourke, American actress (Poltergeist), dies of intestinal ailment at age 12 (born 1975).
- 03 Feb 1988 The Democrat-controlled United States House of Representatives rejects President Ronald Reagan's request for $36.25 million to support the Nicaraguan Contras.
- 04 Feb 1988 Panamanian leader Manuel Noriega indicted on drug charges
- 05 Feb 1988 Arizona House of Representatives votes to impeach Republican Governor Evan Mecham.
- 07 Feb 1988 38th NBA All-Star Game: East beats West 138-133 at Chicago, Illinois.
- 08 Feb 1988 NASA launches DOD-2.
- 09 Feb 1988 39th NHL All-Star Game: Wales beat Campbell 6-5 (overtime) at Saint Louis, Missouri.
- 10 Feb 1988 Three-judge panel of 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, California strikes down Army's ban on homosexuals (later overturned by appeal).
- 11 Feb 1988 Anthony M Kennedy appointed to Supreme Court
- 12 Feb 1988 Anthony M. Kennedy is appointed to the Supreme Court of the United States.
- 13 Feb 1988 15th Winter Olympic games open at Calgary, Canada
- 14 Feb 1988 General hospital star Jackie Zeman marries Glenn Gorden
- 15 Feb 1988 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 16 Feb 1988 First documented combat action by US military advisors in El Salvador.
- 17 Feb 1988 Lebanese terrorists kidnap UN truce observer Lt Col William Higgins
- 18 Feb 1988 Anthony M Kennedy sworn in as US Supreme Court Justice.
- 19 Feb 1988 Helga Arendt, Silke-Beate Knoll, Mechthild Kluth, and Gisela Kinzel walk indoor female world record 4x200 metre (1:32.55).
- 20 Feb 1988 Peter Kalikow purchases New York Post from Rupert Murdoch for US$37.6 million.
- 21 Feb 1988 Televangelist Jimmy Swaggert confesses his sins to his congregation
- 22 Feb 1988 Bonnie Blair skates world record 500 metre (39.10 seconds).
- 23 Feb 1988 15th Winter Olympic games opens in Calgary, Alberta
- 24 Feb 1988 Supreme Ct votes 8-0 Jerry Falwell cannot collect for Hustler parody
- 25 Feb 1988 Bruce Springsteen Tunnel of Love Tour, begins in Worcester, Massachusetts
- 26 Feb 1988 Christa Rotherburger (German Democratic Republic) skates ladies world record 1000 metre (1:17.65).
- 27 Feb 1988 Gulfstream G-IV jet goes around the world 36:08:34.
- 28 Feb 1988 15th Winter Olympic games close at Calgary, Canada
- 29 Feb 1988 KWK-FM in St. Louis Missouri changes call letters to WKBG
- 01 Mar 1988 Joe Besser, American comedian (The Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello), dies at age 80 (born 1907).
- 02 Mar 1988 Dutch Liberal Party merges with SDP.
- 05 Mar 1988 The Constitution of Turks and Caicos Islands is restored and revised.
- 06 Mar 1988 3 IRA suspects were shot dead in Gibraltar by SAS officers
- 07 Mar 1988 Jim Abbott, one-handed pitcher, wins 58th James E Sullivan Award.
- 08 Mar 1988 U.S. presidential candidate George Herbert Walker Bush defeats Robert Dole in numerous Republican primaries and caucuses on "Super Tuesday."
- 09 Mar 1988 President Reagan presides at unveiling of Knute Rockne stamp
- 10 Mar 1988 Avalanche at Swiss ski resort "Klosters" nearly kills Prince Charles.
- 11 Mar 1988 Utrecht conservatory destroyed by fire.
- 13 Mar 1988 14th People's Choice Awards: Fatal Attraction, Bill Cosby win.
- 15 Mar 1988 NASA reports accelerated breakdown of ozone layer by chlorofluorocarbons.
- 16 Mar 1988 North-Ireland Protestant fires on Catholic funeral, three killed.
- 17 Mar 1988 Les Miserables, opens at Det Norske Teatret, Oslo
- 19 Mar 1988 2 British soldiers lynched in Belfast North Ireland
- 20 Mar 1988 Mike Tyson knocks out Tony Tubbs in two rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
- 21 Mar 1988 23rd Academy of Country Music Awards: Randy Travis and Hank Williams Jr.
- 22 Mar 1988 US Congress overrides Reagan's veto of sweeping civil rights bill.
- 24 Mar 1988 Gospel at Colonus opens at Lunt Fontanne Theater NYC for 61 performances
- 25 Mar 1988 Les Miserables, opens at Chunichi Theatre, Nagoya Japan
- 26 Mar 1988 Janet B Evans swims 1500 metre freestyle female world record (15:02.10).
- 27 Mar 1988 Ice Dance Championship at Budapest won by Bestemianova and Bukin (URS)
- 29 Mar 1988 Oba Oba opens at Ambassador Theater NYC for 46 performances
- 30 Mar 1988 2nd Soul Train Music Awards
- 31 Mar 1988 Pulitzer prize awarded to Toni Morrison for Beloved
- 03 Apr 1988 17th Nabisco Dinah Shore Golf Championship won by Amy Alcott.
- 04 Apr 1988 Last broadcast of Crossroads on British TV
- 05 Apr 1988 Democratic Convention picks Michael Dukakis as their Presidential Candidate
- 06 Apr 1988 Black pole explorer M Henson buried next to R Peary in Arlington
- 07 Apr 1988 Devils 3-2 over Isles, 1st round tied 1-1
- 09 Apr 1988 Les Miserables, opens at Umeda-Koma Theatre, Osaka
- 10 Apr 1988 8th Golden Raspberry Awards: Leonard Part 6 wins.
- 11 Apr 1988 Royal Concert building in Amsterdam reopens.
- 12 Apr 1988 Former pop singer Sonny Bono is elected mayor of Palm Springs, California.
- 13 Apr 1988 Italy government of De Mita forms.
- 14 Apr 1988 Mail opens at Music Box Theater NYC for 36 performances
- 15 Apr 1988 Meteorite explodes above Indonesia.
- 17 Apr 1988 Nancy Lopez wins LPGA AI Star / Centinela Hospital Golf Classic
- 18 Apr 1988 Barbra Streisand records Warm All Over
- 20 Apr 1988 Yanks HR 9,999 (D Winfield) 10,000 (C Washington) 10,001 (J Clarke)
- 22 Apr 1988 New Jersey Devils' Patrik Sundstrom ties NHL playoff record of eight points in a playoff game (hat trick and five assists) in 10-4 rout over the Washington Capitals.
- 23 Apr 1988 Karolina Szabo runs female world record 25km (1:29:30)/30km (1:47:06).
- 24 Apr 1988 Rosie Jones wins LPGA USX Golf Classic.
- 25 Apr 1988 Nightline goes on location to Jerusalem Israel
- 26 Apr 1988 NBA approves addition of third referee in the 1988-89 season.
- 28 Apr 1988 Chess opens at Imperial Theater NYC for 68 performances
- 29 Apr 1988 60 Minutes newscaster Diane Sawyer weds Mike Nichols
- 30 Apr 1988 World Expo '88 opens in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. The exhibition runs for six months, hosting pavilions from over 70 countries.
- 01 May 1988 Romance / Romance opens at Helen Hayes Theater NYC for 297 performances
- 02 May 1988 Baltimore Orioles sign a 15-year lease to remain in Baltimore and get a new park.
- 03 May 1988 4,200kg Colombian cocaine is seized at Tarpon Springs, Florida.
- 04 May 1988 A major explosion at an industrial solid-fuel rocket plant in Henderson, Nevada, causes damage extending up to 10 miles away, including Las Vegas's McCarran International Airport.
- 05 May 1988 Eugene A Marino installed as 1st black US Archbishop
- 06 May 1988 Graeme Hick scores 405 for Worcestershire versus Somerset 35 fours 11 sixes.
- 07 May 1988 114th Kentucky Derby: Gary Stevens on Winning Colors wins in 2:02.2.
- 08 May 1988 Oba Oba closes at Ambassador Theater NYC after 46 performances
- 09 May 1988 Belgium: 8th government of Martens forms
- 11 May 1988 KV Mechelen wins 28th Europe Cup II.
- 12 May 1988 Carrie opens at Virginia Theater NYC for 5 performances
- 14 May 1988 Mail closes at Music Box Theater NYC after 36 performances
- 15 May 1988 Carrie closes at Virginia Theater NYC after 5 performances
- 16 May 1988 Surgeon General C Everett Koop reports nicotine as addictive as heroin
- 18 May 1988 Bayer Leverkusen wins 17th UEFA Cup at Leverkusen.
- 19 May 1988 Carlos Lehder Rivas, of Colombia's Medell?n drug cartel, is convicted in Florida for smuggling more than three tons of cocaine into US.
- 20 May 1988 Mike Schmidt hits his 535th homerun, moving into 8th place.
- 21 May 1988 Fat by Weird Al Yankovic hits #99
- 22 May 1988 34th LPGA Championship won by Sherri Turner.
- 23 May 1988 Maryland stops sale of cheap pistols on Jan 1, 1990
- 24 May 1988 Porntip Nakhirunkanok, 19, of Thailand, crowned 37th Miss Universe.
- 25 May 1988 PSV wins Europe Cup.
- 27 May 1988 US Senate ratifies a treaty eliminating medium-range nuclear missiles.
- 28 May 1988 Genie Francis (General Hospital) weds Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek TNG)
- 29 May 1988 President Zia ul-Haq fires government / disbands parliament in Pakistan
- 31 May 1988 U.S. President Ronald Reagan addresses 600 Moscow State University students, during his visit to the Soviet Union.
- 01 Jun 1988 Les Miserables, opens at Shubert Theatre, LA
- 02 Jun 1988 61st National Spelling Bee: Rageshree Ramachandran wins spelling elegiacal
- 03 Jun 1988 Big, premieres in US
- 04 Jun 1988 Cabaret closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 262 performances
- 05 Jun 1988 58th French Mens Tennis: Mats Wilander beats Henri Leconte (75 62 61)
- 06 Jun 1988 22nd Music City News Country Awards: Randy Travis and Statler Brothers
- 08 Jun 1988 Nippon Airways announces that painting eyeballs on Jets cut bird collisions by 20%
- 09 Jun 1988 Bloodsport (1987), premieres in Germany
- 10 Jun 1988 Greatest number of participants (31,678) on a bicycle tour (London, England).
- 11 Jun 1988 Everything Your Heart Desires by Daryl Hall and John Oates peaks at #3
- 12 Jun 1988 6th Seniors Players Golf Championship: Billy Casper
- 13 Jun 1988 45th time opposing pitchers hit HRS, Mark Davis (Padres) / Mike Krukow
- 14 Jun 1988 Woman sues Chuck Berry for $5,000,000 alleges he hit her
- 15 Jun 1988 NASA launches space vehicle S-213.
- 16 Jun 1988 Boston Red Sox Barrett steals home
- 17 Jun 1988 Bruce Springsteen separates from Juliette Phillips
- 18 Jun 1988 Jeff Hamilton, hits 8,000th Dodger home run
- 19 Jun 1988 88th US Golf Open: Curtis Strange shoots a 278 at Country Club, Massachusetts
- 20 Jun 1988 Curtis Strange wins US Open golf tournament
- 21 Jun 1988 42nd NBA Championship: LA Lakers beat Detroit Pistons, 4 games to 3
- 22 Jun 1988 Disney releases the Touchstone Pictures animated and live-action feature film Who Framed Roger Rabbit? to theaters. It cost US$50.6 million to make, and another US$30 million for marketing. This film marks the first-ever on-screen meeting of Donald Duck and Daffy Duck. The film is based on the book Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary Wolf.
- 23 Jun 1988 Charlotte Hornets and Miami Heat begin their NBA expansion draft.
- 24 Jun 1988 Red Sox begin AL record 23rd consecutive home win streak
- 25 Jun 1988 Chess closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 68 performances
- 26 Jun 1988 Air France Flight 296 crashes into the tops of trees beyond the runway on a demonstration flight at Habsheim, France three passengers are killed.
- 27 Jun 1988 Reds bat out of order against Padres in 1st inning
- 28 Jun 1988 Mike Tyson sues to break contract with manager Bill Cayton
- 29 Jun 1988 Emmy 15th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 9th time
- 30 Jun 1988 Sledge Hammer! last aires on ABC-TV
- 02 Jul 1988 95th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Steffi Graf beats Navratilova (57 62 61)
- 03 Jul 1988 16th du Maurier Golf Classic: Sally Little
- 04 Jul 1988 102nd Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Stefan Edberg beats Becker (46 76 64 62)
- 05 Jul 1988 Malcolm Marshall takes 7-22 at Old Trafford, England all out 93
- 06 Jul 1988 North Sea oil platform Piper Alpha explodes, 166 die
- 07 Jul 1988 Soviet Union launches Phobos 1 to probe Martian moon (unsuccessful).
- 08 Jul 1988 Miami Arena opens
- 09 Jul 1988 Facts of Life, Lisa Whelchel weds Steve Cauble
- 10 Jul 1988 Terry-Jo Myers wins LPGA Mayflower Golf Classic
- 11 Jul 1988 Mike Tyson hires Donald Trump as an advisor
- 12 Jul 1988 59th All Star Baseball Game: AL wins 2-1 at Riverfront Stadium, Cin
- 13 Jul 1988 9th Emmy Sports Award presentation
- 14 Jul 1988 WYHY radio offers $1M to anyone who can prove Elvis is still alive
- 16 Jul 1988 Carl Lewis runs a wind-assisted 100 m in 9.78 sec
- 17 Jul 1988 117th British Golf Open: Seve Ballesteros shoots 273 at Royal Lytham
- 18 Jul 1988 Abu Nidal terrorists kill 9 on City of Poros cruise ship
- 20 Jul 1988 Michael Dukakis selected Democratic presidential nominee
- 21 Jul 1988 Mass Gov Michael Dukakis accepts Democratic nomination for President
- 22 Jul 1988 500 US scientists pledge to boycott Pentagon germ-warfare research.
- 23 Jul 1988 General Ne Win, effective ruler of Burma since 1962, resigns after pro-democracy protests.
- 24 Jul 1988 US and Jamaica play scoreless tie, in second round of 1990 world soccer cup.
- 25 Jul 1988 Mindy Duncan, 16, of Oregon, crowned 6th Miss Teen USA
- 26 Jul 1988 Mike Schmidt sets NL record appearing in 2,155 games at 3rd base, as Phillies and New York Mets end that game at 2:13 AM
- 27 Jul 1988 General Sein Lwin succeeds Ne Win as President of Burma
- 28 Jul 1988 IBM announces price hike on older models
- 29 Jul 1988 Baltimore trades Mike Boddicker to the Red Sox for Brady Anderson and Curt Schilling
- 30 Jul 1988 Harry Drake shoots arrow record 1873m
- 31 Jul 1988 Ayako Okamoto wins LPGA Greater Washington Golf Open
- 01 Aug 1988 Deep Rover one-man research submarine unveiled at Crater Lake, Oregon.
- 02 Aug 1988 Raymond Acevedo is retired from singing group Menudo
- 03 Aug 1988 Skip Storch swims 246 km of Hudson River from Albany to New York City
- 04 Aug 1988 US Congress votes $20,000 to each Japanese-American interned in WW II.
- 05 Aug 1988 Mario Biaggi (Representative-Democrat-New York), convicted of racketeering, resigns seat.
- 06 Aug 1988 Oakland Athletics Jose Canseco becomes 11th to hit 30 HRs and steal 30 bases
- 07 Aug 1988 Martha Nause wins Planters Pat Bradley International Golf Tournament
- 08 Aug 1988 9th US Seniors Golf Open: Gary Player
- 09 Aug 1988 Just one day after 8/8/88 New York lottery's daily number is 888.
- 10 Aug 1988 Matt Biondi swims world record 100m free style (48.42 seconds)
- 11 Aug 1988 225 at bats after #299, Met Gary Carter is 59th to hit 300th HR
- 12 Aug 1988 Movie Last Temptation of Christ is released
- 13 Aug 1988 Palace of Auburn Hills in Detroit Opens
- 14 Aug 1988 70th PGA Championship: Jeff Sluman shoots a 272 at Oak Tree Golf Club - Edmond
- 15 Aug 1988 At 4PM LILCO consumers used a record 3,813 megawatts
- 16 Aug 1988 IBM introduces software for artificial intelligence
- 17 Aug 1988 LIRR says Penn station will get air conditioning in 1991
- 18 Aug 1988 Largest house (130 rooms) on Long Island, New York sells for $22 million.
- 19 Aug 1988 Iran-Iraq begin a cease-fire in their 8-year-old war (11pm EDT)
- 20 Aug 1988 6.5 earthquake strikes India / Nepal, 1,000s killed
- 21 Aug 1988 Cease fire between Iran and Iraq takes effect after 8 years of war
- 22 Aug 1988 NBC premieres Later with Bob Costas (1st guest Linda Ellerbee)
- 23 Aug 1988 Mike Tyson and Mitch Green brawl at 4 A.M. in Harlem
- 25 Aug 1988 Challenger Center opens its classroom doors in Houston
- 27 Aug 1988 Dodger Tommy Lasorda wins 1,000th game as manager tops Philadelphia, 4-2
- 28 Aug 1988 40th Emmy Awards: 30something, Wonder Years and Richard Kiley
- 29 Aug 1988 USSR launches 3 Cosmonauts (Valery Polyakav, 1 Afghan) to station Mir
- 30 Aug 1988 Julianne Philips files for divorce from Bruce Springsteen
- 31 Aug 1988 5-day power blackout of downtown Seattle begins
- 01 Sep 1988 Nintendo releases the Super Mario Bros. 2 video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System in the US.
- 04 Sep 1988 Mike Tyson crashes a silver BMW into a tree near Catskills, New York
- 05 Sep 1988 Betsy King wins LPGA Rail Charity Golf Classic
- 06 Sep 1988 Thomas Gregory (11) swims English Canal
- 07 Sep 1988 5th MTV Awards
- 08 Sep 1988 Emmy News and Documentaries Award presentation
- 09 Sep 1988 Braves Bruce Sutter joins Fingers and Gossage to save 300 games
- 10 Sep 1988 102nd US Womens Tennis: Steffi Graf beats Gabriela Sabatini (63 36 61)
- 11 Sep 1988 1 / 3 of population argues for Estonia autonomy
- 12 Sep 1988 1st NFL regular-season game played in Phoenix; Cowboys beat Card
- 13 Sep 1988 9 hard / software manufacturers announce EISA computer bus in New York
- 15 Sep 1988 Les Miserables, opens at Raimund Theatre, Vienna
- 16 Sep 1988 Cin Reds Tom Browning pitches a perfect game, beats Dodgers, 1-0
- 17 Sep 1988 24th Olympic games open at Seoul, Korea
- 18 Sep 1988 Juli Inkster wins LPGA SAFECO Golf Classic
- 19 Sep 1988 US Olympic diver Greg Louganis hits his head on diving board
- 20 Sep 1988 Darrell Evans hits his 400th career home run
- 21 Sep 1988 Mike Tyson smashes TV camera outside his Bernardsville New Jersey home
- 22 Sep 1988 Canada begins production of a $5 silver Maple Leaf bullion coin
- 23 Sep 1988 Rosa Mota wins 2nd female olympic marathon (2:25:39)
- 24 Sep 1988 Barbara C Harris of Mass, elected 1st woman Episcopal Bishop
- 25 Sep 1988 Christopher Jacobs, Troy Dalbey, Tom Hunter and Matt Biondi, swim world record 4x100 m freestyle (3:16.53)
- 26 Sep 1988 US space shuttle STS-26 launched
- 27 Sep 1988 Grand jury evidence shows Tawana Brawley fabricated rape story
- 28 Sep 1988 LA Dodger Orel Hershiser sets record for consecutive scoreless inns
- 29 Sep 1988 26th Space Shuttle mission, Discovery 7 launched
- 30 Sep 1988 Andrei A Gromyko retires
- 01 Oct 1988 Bradley Center in Milwaukee opens
- 02 Oct 1988 24th Olympic games close at Seoul, Korea
- 03 Oct 1988 Criterion Center Theater opens at Broadway bet 44th and 45th Sts, New York City
- 04 Oct 1988 Pillsbury stock soars $18.37 to $57.37 on takeover bid.
- 05 Oct 1988 Brazil adopts its Constitution
- 06 Oct 1988 Oakland Athletics sweep Boston Red Sox in four games for American League pennant.
- 07 Oct 1988 Dallas Green replaces Lou Pinella as New York Yankee manager
- 08 Oct 1988 Jay Howell ejected in NLCS game 3 for having pine tar on his glove
- 09 Oct 1988 17% vote extremely-right Flemish Block in Belgium
- 10 Oct 1988 22nd Country Music Association Award: Highway 101, K T Oslin win
- 12 Oct 1988 George Bush and Michael Dukakis meet in 2nd debate
- 13 Oct 1988 Nobel prize for literature awarded to Naguib Mahfouz
- 14 Oct 1988 Mike Tyson countersues Robin Givens for divorce and annulment
- 15 Oct 1988 NCAA record rushing yardage (768 yards-Oklahoma).
- 16 Oct 1988 Smile Jamaica concert for Hurricane Gilbert victims held in London
- 17 Oct 1988 Lyndon LaRouche pleads innocent to fraud, conspiracy indictment
- 19 Oct 1988 Roxette releases Roxette Look Sharp! album
- 20 Oct 1988 Dodgers win World Series, LA 1st to have both NBA and baseball champs as LA beats Oakland Athletics, 4 games to 1 in 85th World Series
- 21 Oct 1988 Boston Celtics beat Yugoslavia 113-85 in Madrid, Spain.
- 22 Oct 1988 Elton John sells out Madison Square Garden for a record 26th time
- 23 Oct 1988 Boston Celtics play Spain in Madrid.
- 24 Oct 1988 Traveling Wilburys Volume One is released
- 26 Oct 1988 Donald Trump bills Mike Tyson $2,000,000 for 4 month advisory service
- 27 Oct 1988 ET released to home video (14 million presold)
- 28 Oct 1988 Jurors award $147,000 to Tacoma parishioner seduced by her minister
- 29 Oct 1988 Jim Elliott (US) begins 24-hr paced outdoor race for 548.9 mi
- 30 Oct 1988 Beth Daniel wins Nichirei Ladies Cup US-Japan Team Golf Championship
- 31 Oct 1988 Journalists demand greater press freedom in Yugoslavia.
- 01 Nov 1988 Actor Jeff Goldblum and actress Gena Davis wed in Las Vegas
- 02 Nov 1988 1st Mrs America beauty pageant
- 03 Nov 1988 Reagan signs credit-card disclosure-bill
- 04 Nov 1988 1st NBA game at Charlotte Coliseum - Hornets lose to Cavs, 133-93
- 05 Nov 1988 1st NBA game at Palace of Auburn Hills, Pistons beat Hornets 94-85
- 06 Nov 1988 19th NYC Marathon won by Steve Jones in 2:08:20
- 07 Nov 1988 MLB all stars beats Japan 16-8 (Game 3 of 7)
- 08 Nov 1988 900 die as earthquake hits China
- 09 Nov 1988 Prince of Central Park opens at Belasco Theater NYC for 4 performances
- 10 Nov 1988 China confirms earthquake death toll will rise above current 938
- 11 Nov 1988 Oldest known insect fossils (390 million yrs) reported in Science
- 12 Nov 1988 Japan beats Major League Baseball All-Star team 5-4 in Tokyo (Game 6 of 7).
- 13 Nov 1988 Mulugeta Seraw, an Ethiopian law student in Portland, Oregon is beaten to death by members of the Neo-Nazi group East Side White Pride.
- 15 Nov 1988 Dodgers outfielder Kirk Gibson wins NL MVP Award
- 16 Nov 1988 Benazir Bhutto wins 1st free Pakistani elections in 11 years
- 17 Nov 1988 Linda Petursdottir of Iceland, 18, crowned 38th Miss World
- 18 Nov 1988 Canadian federal election, 1988: Brian Mulroney and the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada win a second majority government.
- 19 Nov 1988 Serbian communist representative and future Serbian and Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic publicly declares that Serbia is under attack from Albanian separatists in Kosovo as well as internal treachery within Yugoslavia and a foreign conspiracy to destroy Serbia and Yugoslavia.
- 20 Nov 1988 Les Miserables, opens a Bus and Truck tour in Tampa
- 21 Nov 1988 Ted Turner officially buys Jim Crockett Promotions, known as NWA Crockett, and turns it into World Championship Wrestling (WCW).
- 22 Nov 1988 In Palmdale, California, the first prototype B-2 Spirit stealth bomber is revealed.
- 23 Nov 1988 Wayne Gretzky scores his 600th NHL goal.
- 24 Nov 1988 The popular American cult television comedy Mystery Science Theater 3000 makes its debut on KTMA.
- 25 Nov 1988 Chuck Berry pays $250 fine to resolve NYC assault charges
- 26 Nov 1988 Alexander Volkov, Sergei Krikalev, and Jean-Loup Chretien launch.
- 27 Nov 1988 76th CFL Grey Cup: Winnipeg Blue Bombers defeats BC Lions, 22-21
- 30 Nov 1988 New York City furrier sues Mike Tyson for $92,000 for non payment of purchase
- 01 Dec 1988 New York Islanders greatest shutout loss (8-0) versus Saint Louis Blues.
- 02 Dec 1988 STS-27 Atlantis launched (Secret military mission)
- 03 Dec 1988 New York Lotto pays US$45 million to twelve winners (numbers are 1-8-13-18-28-48).
- 04 Dec 1988 Actor Gary Busey critically injured in motorcycle crash
- 05 Dec 1988 North Carolina federal grand jury indicts PTL founder Jim Bakker on fraud and conspiracy.
- 06 Dec 1988 Agnes Neil Williams purchases Baltimore Orioles for $70 million Eli Jacobs becomes CEO of Baltimore Orioles
- 07 Dec 1988 6.9 earthquake in Armenia, Spitak destroyed, 60,000 killed
- 08 Dec 1988 Famous vocalist Roy Orbison dies of a heart attack
- 09 Dec 1988 The last Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant roll off the assembly line in a Chrysler factory.
- 10 Dec 1988 Washington Capitals' first NHL scoreless tie, versus Montreal Canadiens.
- 12 Dec 1988 3 trains collide in London, 40 die
- 13 Dec 1988 Arafat addresses UN in Geneva
- 14 Dec 1988 US agrees to talk to Palestine Liberation Organization (first time in 13 years).
- 15 Dec 1988 Lori Davis of Long Island sues Mike Tyson for grabbing her buttocks
- 16 Dec 1988 Political cult leader Lyndon LaRouche convicted of tax, mail fraud.
- 17 Dec 1988 USS Tennessee, first submarine to carry Trident 2 missiles, commissioned.
- 18 Dec 1988 Seattle Seahawks win their first ever division title with 9-7 record.
- 19 Dec 1988 NASA unveils plans for lunar colony and manned missions to Mars.
- 20 Dec 1988 NBC signs lease to stay in New York City for 33 more years.
- 21 Dec 1988 New York bound Pan Am jumbo jet explodes over Scotland all 258 aboard die
- 22 Dec 1988 Tug hits oil barge, spreads 231,000 gallons on 300 miles of Western Australia and British Columbia coast.
- 26 Dec 1988 Legs Diamond opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 64 performances
- 27 Dec 1988 Bulgaria stops jamming Radio Free Europe after more than three decades.
- 28 Dec 1988 John Tarrant, 1st Aust born Zen teacher, receives Dharma Transmission
- 29 Dec 1988 Soviet Red Army hockey team edges New York Islanders, 3-2 at Nassau Coliseum.
- 30 Dec 1988 Oliver North subpoenas Ronald Reagan and George Bush as defense witnesses for upcoming trial.