Set during the third year of Barack Obama’s presidency, 2011 was an important time for the world. It was also the year, per various sources, that the world first reached 7 billion citizens.
These 365 days introduced things we’ve come to know, love, and that signal the way to a brighter future. It might also be a year that gave birth to many future world-changers. As they were the most popular names of 2011, those who do become celebrities will likely bear the name Jacob or Sophia.
However, 2011 saw the end of some notable people. These included Frank Buckles, the last surviving American WWI veteran; Osama Bin Laden, the former leader of Al-Qaeda; Elizabeth Taylor, the fashion icon; Steve Jobs, the Apple CEO; and Kim Jong-Il, the former head of North Korea. People were reading The Art of Fielding, State of Wonder, and The Marriage Plot. Meanwhile, on the silver screen, people huddled around Hugo, The Descendants, and War Horse.
This was a year of many changes in world leadership and an onslaught of new innovations. It was designated by the UN as “The International Year of Forests” and “The International Year of Chemistry”.
Additionally, 2011 marked the kickoff of what would come to be known as the “Arab Spring”, the 10th anniversary of Wikipedia and the last airing of the Oprah show. One tragedy held the attention of the news for weeks on end: the magnitude 9.0 earthquake that struck Sendai on March 11th of 2011. On the brighter end of the spectrum, however, many homosexual Americans looked upon this year with pride; these twelve months saw the end of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy. Off the public events stage, and in laboratories the world over, a wide variety of discoveries were being made.
Scientists discovered the first planet in the “goldilocks” zone that might be habitable for life: Kepler 22-B. Additionally, the theory of the accelerating expansion of the universe was finally proven. The introduction of Siri opened a whole new dimension to human-phone interaction. With the invention of Zero Liquid Discharge, a more efficient way to filter sewage, and lab-grown meat, 2011 might just have set the stage for a more efficient and humane future. So, when you’re yelling at your phone’s to correct “currant” to “current”, you can tip your hat to 2011.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 84th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 2011?
Which were the most popular books released in 2011 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 2011
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
- Leymah Gbowee
- Tawakel Karman
- Tomas Tranströmer
- Saul Perlmutter
- Adam G. Riess
- Brian Schmidt
- Thomas J. Sargent
- Christopher A. Sims
- Dan Shechtman
Physiology or Medicine
- Bruce Beutler
- Jules A. Hoffmann
- Ralph M. Steinman
Which were the top hits of 2011?
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 2011
- Total population: 7.0 billion (7,041,194,301 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 3.7 billion, that is 52.0% of the total population of 2011 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +84.2 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.21%
- Average density: 47.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 2011?
- 01 Jan 2011 Estonia officially adopts the euro currency and becomes the seventeenth eurozone country.
- 02 Jan 2011 International mediators propose the establishment of a regional authority for Darfur, as a compromise between the Sudanese government and rebels’ demands, in a diplomatic effort to respond to Sudanese President Bashir’s order last week to withdraw the Sudanese government delegation from talks in Doha. (Radio Dabanga)
- 03 Jan 2011 A further 35 officers in Bangladesh are sentenced over their involvement in a mutiny in February 2009. (Xinhua)
- 04 Jan 2011 Pink Floyd sign a new five-year record deal with EMI after winning a lawsuit regarding digital distribution. (BBC)
- 05 Jan 2011 (to January 9) In Tampa, Florida, Heritage Numismatic Auctions conducts coin auctions at the FUN convention.
- 06 Jan 2011 (to January 8) Heritage Auction Galleries conducts its Heritage Auctions Signature Currency Auction at the Florida United Numismatists convention in Tampa, Florida. A Series 1861 US10 demand note, handwritten "for the", only one known, VG-8, sells for $109,250.
- 07 Jan 2011 A suicide bomber kills 17 people and wounds at least 20 others in a public bathhouse in Kandahar province, Afghanistan; the Taliban claims responsibility for the attack. (The Washington Post) (AP via Google News)
- 08 Jan 2011 An attempted assassination of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and subsequent shooting in Casas Adobes, Arizona at a Safeway grocery store kills 6 people and wounds 13, including Giffords.
- 09 Jan 2011 US Mint Director Edmund Moy resigns.
- 10 Jan 2011 Aftermath of the 2011 Tucson shooting:
- 11 Jan 2011 Flooding and mudslides in the Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro kills 903.
- 12 Jan 2011 Attacks by men armed with rifles and machetes kill 19 people in three villages, including Kuru Station and Fagawon in central Nigeria. (IOL)
- 13 Jan 2011 Protests in Tunisia:
- 14 Jan 2011 Ben Ali, former Tunisian president, fled the country to Saudi Arabia after popular protests (dubbed as Jasmine Revolution) requesting his departure.
- 15 Jan 2011 2010–2011 Tunisian protests:
- 16 Jan 2011 2010–2011 Tunisian protests:
- 17 Jan 2011 An explosion destroys a bus in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan, killing 18. (''The Guardian'')
- 18 Jan 2011 War in North-West Pakistan:: A US drone attack kills five militants in a compound in northwest Pakistan. (AP)
- 19 Jan 2011 An army commander in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is accused of leading a recent mass rape in Fizi of at least 50 women. (BBC)
- 20 Jan 2011 At least 50 people are killed and more than 150 others are injured in two bomb attacks near Karbala. (BBC) (Al Jazeera) (Times of India)
- 21 Jan 2011 21 people are killed in a clash between the Sudanese army and two rebel factions in Darfur. (Reuters)
- 22 Jan 2011 Malaysian navy commandos foil a ship hijack attempt by Somali pirates, rescuing 23 crew and capturing 7 pirates in the Gulf of Aden. (BBC)
- 23 Jan 2011 U.S. drone attacks on Pakistan:
- 24 Jan 2011 At least 35 died and 180 injured in a bombing at Moscow's Domodedovo airport.
- 25 Jan 2011 Egyptian Revolution of 2011 begins in Egypt, with a series of street demonstrations, marches, rallies, acts of civil disobedience, riots, labour strikes, and violent clashes in Cairo, Alexandria, and throughout other cities in Egypt.
- 26 Jan 2011 Three muslim rebels are killed following a clash with government security forces in the Southern Philippines. (China Xinjiang)
- 27 Jan 2011 An 18-year old Palestinian, Fadi Kaddous, is shot to death during a clash with Israeli settlers in the West Bank. (''Haaretz'')
- 28 Jan 2011 Hundreds of thousands of protesters filled up the Egyptian's streets in demonstrations referred to as ''Friday of Anger'' against the Mubarak regime.
- 29 Jan 2011 2011 Egyptian protests:
- 30 Jan 2011 2011 Egyptian protests:
- 31 Jan 2011 2011 Egyptian protests:
- 01 Feb 2011 2011 Egyptian protests
- 02 Feb 2011 2011 Egyptian protests:
- 03 Feb 2011 All available blocks of IPv4 internet addresses are officially distributed to regional authorities.
- 04 Feb 2011 2011 Egyptian protests:
- 05 Feb 2011 2011 Egyptian protests:
- 06 Feb 2011 2011 Egyptian protests:
- 07 Feb 2011 Cambodian–Thai border stand-off
- 08 Feb 2011 A suspected US spy drone crashes near the south Yemen town of Loder with witnesses claiming that Al-Qaeda removed the wreckage. (AFP via Google News)
- 09 Feb 2011 Somali pirates seize an oil supertanker off the coast of Oman. (BBC)
- 10 Feb 2011 2011 Egyptian protests:
- 11 Feb 2011 Egyptian Revolution culminates in the resignation of Hosni Mubarak and the transfer of power to the Supreme Military Council after 18 days of protests.
- 12 Feb 2011 2010–2011 Algerian protests:
- 13 Feb 2011 India plans to withdraw 10,000 troops from Jammu and Kashmir this year and renew peace talks. (AFP via Google News) (Hindustan Times)
- 14 Feb 2011 The 2011 Bahraini uprising commenced.
- 15 Feb 2011 The US Mint launches the 2011 Sacagawea, Native American dollar in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- 16 Feb 2011 Piracy
- 17 Feb 2011 2011 Bahraini protests:
- 18 Feb 2011 A thousand or more non-citizen residents of Kuwait demonstrated yesterday demanding rights given to Kuwaiti citizen. (Reuters)(Al Jazeera English)(CNN)
- 19 Feb 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 20 Feb 2011 Arab Spring:
- 21 Feb 2011 Arab Spring:
- 22 Feb 2011 A 6.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Christchurch, New Zealand at only 5 kilometers from the surface, causing widespread damage and hundreds of fatalities.
- 23 Feb 2011 2011 Libyan civil war
- 24 Feb 2011 Final Launch of Space Shuttle Discovery (OV-103).
- 25 Feb 2011 In the Irish general election, the Fianna Fail-led government suffered the worst defeat of a sitting government since the formation of the Irish state in 1921.
- 26 Feb 2011 2011 Libyan civil war
- 27 Feb 2011 Six people are killed in a failed coup attempt on the presidential palace in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. (Reuters)
- 28 Feb 2011 Arab Spring:
- 01 Mar 2011 2011 Iranian protests: Tear gas is fired on anti-government demonstrators during clashes in the capital Tehran. (BBC) (AFP via Google News)
- 02 Mar 2011 2011 Libyan civil war
- 03 Mar 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 04 Mar 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 05 Mar 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 06 Mar 2011 Following rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip on southern Israel, Israeli air force planes bomb Hamas and Islamic Jihad targets in the Gaza Strip. (Ynet) (Xinhua) (Al Jazeera)
- 07 Mar 2011 2011 Libyan civil war
- 08 Mar 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 09 Mar 2011 Space Shuttle Discovery makes its final landing after 39 flights.
- 10 Mar 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 11 Mar 2011 An earthquake measuring 9.0 in magnitude strikes 130 km (80 miles) east of Sendai, Japan, triggering a tsunami killing thousands of people. This event also triggered the second largest nuclear accident in history, and one of only two events to be classified as a Level 7 on the International Nuclear Event Scale.
- 12 Mar 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 13 Mar 2011 Arab Spring
- 14 Mar 2011 Arab Spring
- 15 Mar 2011 Arab Spring: Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, King of Bahrain declares a three-month state of emergency as troops from the Gulf Co-operation Council are sent to quell the civil unrest.ref name=quotBBCBahr15Marquot
- 16 Mar 2011 Arab Spring:
- 17 Mar 2011 Arab Spring and the Libyan civil war: The United Nations Security Council votes 10-0 to create a no-fly zone over Libya in response to allegations of government aggression against civilians.
- 18 Mar 2011 Response to Datta Khel airstrike:
- 19 Mar 2011 Libyan Uprising: A coalition of countries intervene and commence military action in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 1973.
- 20 Mar 2011 Arab Spring
- 21 Mar 2011 The King of Bahrain Hamad ibn Isa Al Khalifa claims that the 2011 Bahraini protests were a foreign plot defeated by the intervention of forces from neighbors Saudi Arabia and the UAE of the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf's Peninsula Shield Force. (Reuters)
- 22 Mar 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 23 Mar 2011 2011 Syrian protests
- 24 Mar 2011 Arab Spring
- 25 Mar 2011 Arab Spring
- 26 Mar 2011 March for the Alternative in London as around 400,000 people march against british government spending cuts and participate in direct action against tax avoiding companies.
- 27 Mar 2011 Arab Spring:
- 28 Mar 2011 Arab Spring:
- 29 Mar 2011 Arab Spring:
- 30 Mar 2011 India beats Pakistan by 29 runs in the Semi Finals of the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup in Mohali.
- 31 Mar 2011 Arab Spring:
- 01 Apr 2011 After protests against the burning of the Quran turned violent, a mob attacked a United Nations compound in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan and killed thirteen people, including eight foreign workers.
- 02 Apr 2011 India crowned World Champions after defeating Sri Lanka in the final of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011.
- 03 Apr 2011 2011 Bahraini protests:
- 04 Apr 2011 2010–2011 Ivorian crisis:
- 05 Apr 2011 2010–2011 Ivorian crisis:
- 06 Apr 2011 2011 Yemeni protests: six people are killed and hundreds injured in Yemen violence. (CNN)
- 07 Apr 2011 A Mexican Drug War-related march inspired by the killing of seven people, one of whom was the son of prominent poet and journalist Javier Sicilia, occur in more than 20 Mexican cities, with marchers chanting ampquotNo more blood!ampquot. (LA Times)
- 08 Apr 2011 At least 12 Palestinians, including 3 civilians, are killed by Israeli air strikes in Gaza in response to numerous mortar and rocket attacks. (BBC)
- 09 Apr 2011 A gunman murdered five people, injured eleven, and committed suicide in a mall in the Netherlands.
- 10 Apr 2011 United Nations and French forces open fire on the residence of the President of Côte d'Ivoire Laurent Gbagbo in response to recent attacks. (AP via ''Times Union'')
- 11 Apr 2011 2011 Minsk Metro bombing
- 12 Apr 2011 2011 Libyan civil war: Muammar Gaddafi's forces attack the eastern front line and shell the city of Misrata. (MSNBC)
- 13 Apr 2011 2011 Libyan civil war
- 14 Apr 2011 Ugandan opposition leader Kizza Besigye is shot and injured during a protest against rising food and oil prices in the capital Kampala; tear gas is also fired by police to disperse protesters. (BBC) (Capital FM Kenya)
- 15 Apr 2011 2011 Cirebon bombing : a suicide bomber attacked a mosque in an Indonesian Police compound in Cirebon, West Java, Indonesia.
- 16 Apr 2011 Burkina Faso unrest
- 17 Apr 2011 At least four people are shot dead by security forces during anti-government protests in Syria. (CBC) (AFP via Channel News Asia)
- 18 Apr 2011 A 16-year-old Israeli boy injured by a Palestinian missile attack on his school bus on April 7 dies. (''BBC'') (''Wikinews'')
- 19 Apr 2011 Hamas fatally shoots two of the suspects in last weeks' murder of Italian pro-Palestinian activist Vittorio Arrigoni in Gaza. (Al Jazeera)
- 20 Apr 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 21 Apr 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 22 Apr 2011 Cambodia and Thailand exchange fire across their mutual border; with casualties on both sides. (The Hindu) (Bangkok Post) (BBC)
- 23 Apr 2011 Cambodia and Thailand clash on their border. (BBC) (Al Jazeera)
- 24 Apr 2011 More than 500 people are killed in Nigeria. (BBC) (Al Jazeera)
- 25 Apr 2011 Guantánamo Files: (Al Jazeera)
- 26 Apr 2011 Arab Spring:
- 27 Apr 2011 The deadliest day of the 2011 Super outbreak of tornadoes, the largest tornado outbreak, in United States history.
- 28 Apr 2011 Arab Spring:
- 29 Apr 2011 Wedding of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Kate Middleton.
- 30 Apr 2011 2011 Syrian protests:
- 01 May 2011 Pope John Paul II is beatified.
- 02 May 2011 Osama Bin Laden, the suspected mastermind behind the September 11 attacks and the FBI's most wanted man, is killed by US Special Forces.
- 03 May 2011 Reaction to the death of Osama bin Laden:
- 04 May 2011 2011 Syrian uprising
- 05 May 2011 2011 Libyan civil war
- 06 May 2011 2011 Yemeni protests: Protests continue in Yemen. (Al Jazeera)
- 07 May 2011 2011 Syrian uprising
- 08 May 2011 2011 Syrian protests:
- 09 May 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Heavy shooting is heard in a western suburb of Damascus as the Syrian Army advances against anti-government protesters. (BBC)
- 10 May 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 11 May 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Syrian Army tanks shell the suburb of Bab Amro in the city of Homs, killing at least five people. (Reuters via Alertnet) (Al Jazeera)
- 12 May 2011 The Syrian military continues to crack down on protesters, with students in the city of Aleppo the latest target. (Al Jazeera)
- 13 May 2011 In India, The Communist Party of India (Marxist) lost Assembly elections in West Bengal to Trinamool Congress, ending world's longest democratically elected Communist government's 34 year rule in the State.
- 14 May 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 15 May 2011 2011 Bahraini uprising:
- 16 May 2011 The European Union agree to €78ampnbspbillion rescue deal for Portugal. The bailout loan will be equally split between the European Financial Stabilisation Mechanism, the European Financial Stability Facility, and the International Monetary Fund.
- 17 May 2011 Queen Elizabeth II's historic first visit to the Republic of Ireland. The first visit of a British monarch to Ireland since the visit of George V and Queen Mary in 1911.
- 18 May 2011 Three Tunisian security officers are killed in a clash with gunmen in the north of the country. (IOL)
- 19 May 2011 Syria condemns the decision by the United States to impose sanctions on President Bashar al-Assad in response to ongoing anti-government protests. (Al Jazeera)
- 20 May 2011 2011 Syrian protests:
- 21 May 2011 ''Dawn'', Pakistan's largest English-language newspaper, begins publication of thousands of U.S. diplomatic cables it has obtained in a deal with WikiLeaks and Julian Assange. The cables show that the Pakistani military asked the United States to increase its drone attacks against insurgents on Pakistani territory, a request Pakistani authorities have not admitted in public. (Al Jazeera)
- 22 May 2011 2011 Yemen protests:
- 23 May 2011 The death toll from a Pakistani Taliban attack on a Pakistan Navy station in Karachi rises as the attack continues, with several explosions reported. (NDTV) (Sky News) (AFP via SBS World News)
- 24 May 2011 Clashes break out in southern Tunisia between local residents and Libyan refugees fleeing that country's civil war. (Reuters)
- 25 May 2011 A Pakistani Taliban suicide bomber attacks a police station in Peshawar, killing at least seven people. (AFP via Yahoo! News), (AFP via France 24) (CNN)
- 26 May 2011 Former Bosnian Serb Army commander Ratko Mladić, wanted for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity, is arrested in Serbia.
- 27 May 2011 2011 Libyan civil war
- 28 May 2011 2011 Libyan civil war: Fresh explosions are heard in the Libyan capital Tripoli as NATO bombing continues. (Al Jazeera)
- 29 May 2011 NATO killing of civilians in Afghanistan:
- 30 May 2011 An explosion at an army barrack in northern Nigeria kills 12 people. (Reuters)
- 31 May 2011 War in Afghanistan:
- 01 Jun 2011 Arab Spring:
- 02 Jun 2011 Almost 100 civilians are killed in the disputed Abyei region between North and South Sudan since northern troops seized the area on 21 May. (Reuters)
- 03 Jun 2011 Yemeni uprising:
- 04 Jun 2011 Chile's Puyehue volcano erupts, causing air traffic cancellations across South America, New Zealand, Australia and forcing over 3,000 people to evacuate.
- 05 Jun 2011 Arab Spring: Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh travels to Saudi Arabia for treatment of an injury sustained during an attack on the presidential palace. Protesters celebrate his transfer of power to his Vice-President Abd al-Rab Mansur al-Hadi.
- 06 Jun 2011 2011 Libyan civil war: Rebels retake the town of Yafran in the west of the country. (New York Times) (al Jazeera)
- 07 Jun 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 08 Jun 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 09 Jun 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 10 Jun 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 11 Jun 2011 At least 4,300 Syrians flee into Turkey amid a government crackdown on protests. (Al Jazeera)
- 12 Jun 2011 Arab Spring: Thousands of Syrians flee to Turkey as Syrian troops lay siege to Jisr ash-Shugur.
- 13 Jun 2011 2011 Jordanian protests: The motorcade of King Abdullah II of Jordan is attacked by bottles and stones thrown by protesters in Tafilah. (BBC) (The Guardian)
- 14 Jun 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 15 Jun 2011 Greek unions initiate a general strike, with protesters vowing to surround the Hellenic Parliament as it prepares to discuss its plans for financial cuts. (Reuters via France 24) (Xinhua) (euronews)
- 16 Jun 2011 Ayman al-Zawahiri is selected as the successor of leadership of al-Qaeda succeeding Osama bin Laden (CNN)
- 17 Jun 2011 The Yonhap news agency reports that South Korea has deployed precision-guided missiles capable of hitting the North Korean capital, Pyongyang. (Yonhap News)
- 18 Jun 2011 Burma accuses the Kachin Independence Army of starting deadly fighting near the Chinese border. (AFP via Google News) (Asian Correspondent) (BBC)
- 19 Jun 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 20 Jun 2011 Arab Spring:
- 21 Jun 2011 2011 Yemeni uprising: 2,000 Ethiopian migrants are evacuated from the country. (BBC)
- 22 Jun 2011 2011 Bahraini uprising: The Bahraini government sentences 10 pro-democracy activists to life in prison for their role in the uprising. (The Guardian) (Al Jazeera) (BBC)
- 23 Jun 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Syrian forces mass along the Turkish border near where thousands of refugees are camped. (Reuters) (BBC)
- 24 Jun 2011 ''The New York Times'' reports that a cell phone belonging to Osama bin Laden's courier contains contacts with Harakat-ul-Mujahedeen indicating possible ties with Pakistan's intelligence agencies. (''The New York Times'')
- 25 Jun 2011 Arab Spring:
- 26 Jun 2011 Arab Spring:
- 27 Jun 2011 Arab Spring:
- 28 Jun 2011 U.S. drone attacks on North Waziristan:
- 29 Jun 2011 Arab Spring:
- 30 Jun 2011 Arab Spring:
- 01 Jul 2011 The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights claims the Congo government troops raped 121 women between June 11 and 13 then pillaged their villages. (AP via ''The Washington Post'')
- 02 Jul 2011 Arab Spring:
- 03 Jul 2011 Dozens of people are arrested and tear gas is used during Independence Day celebrations in Belarus after a ampquotclappingampquot protest. (BBC)
- 04 Jul 2011 Arab Spring:
- 05 Jul 2011 Arab Spring:
- 06 Jul 2011 Arab Spring:
- 07 Jul 2011 The world's first artificial organ transplant is achieved, using an artificial windpipe coated with stem cells.
- 08 Jul 2011 Former First Lady Betty Ford, wife of former U.S. President Gerald R. Ford, dies at 93. (''USA Today'')
- 09 Jul 2011 South Sudan secedes from Sudan, per the result of the independence referendum held in January.
- 10 Jul 2011 Bangladeshi police fire tear gas at Islamist activists trying to enforce a general strike in the town of Keraniganj with dozens hurt in the riots. (AP via Washington Post), (Reuters)
- 11 Jul 2011 Protesters loyal to President Bashar al-Assad in the 2011 Syrian uprising break into the United States embassy in Damascus and try to break into the French embassy. (''The Australian'')
- 12 Jul 2011 7 people are killed and 3 others are injured by a United States drone attack in Pakistan's South Waziristan region. (''Dawn'')
- 13 Jul 2011 13 July 2011 Mumbai bombings:
- 14 Jul 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Several deaths are reported as a security crackdown continues against anti-government protests in Syria. (Al Jazeera)
- 15 Jul 2011 Indian troops report three deaths in Maidanpora, Kupwara, Kashmir. (BBC)
- 16 Jul 2011 Arab Spring
- 17 Jul 2011 Arab Spring
- 18 Jul 2011 Arab Spring:
- 19 Jul 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Security forces shoot dead at least 10 people in Homs. (Emirates 24/7) (AP via Google News)
- 20 Jul 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Troops surround the Harasta suburb of the capital Damascus. (Al Jazeera)
- 21 Jul 2011 Space Shuttle Atlantis lands successfully at Kennedy Space Center after completing STS-135, concluding NASA's space shuttle program.ref name=quotlanding timesquot
- 22 Jul 2011 Anders Behring Breivik kills 77 people in twin terrorist attacks in Norway after a bombing in the Regjeringskvartalet government center in Oslo and a shooting at a political youth camp on the island of Utøya.
- 23 Jul 2011 2011 Norway attacks: The death toll from the shootings on Utøya and bombing in Oslo reaches at least 92. (AP via MSNBC)
- 24 Jul 2011 A Thai military helicopter crashes near the Myanmar border, the third in a week, with three people feared dead in the latest crash. (AP via MSNBC)
- 25 Jul 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: State media announce a new law permitting the formation of political parties. (BBC)
- 26 Jul 2011 The Reserve Bank of India increases interest rates to 8% in an effort to contain inflation which is currently at 9.44%. (BBC)
- 27 Jul 2011 2011 Norway attacks
- 28 Jul 2011 At least seven Philippine Army soldiers are killed and 21 injured in a confrontation with Abu Sayyaf militants on Jolo Island. (DPA via Monsters and Critics)
- 29 Jul 2011 2011 Syrian uprising
- 30 Jul 2011 Libyan Civil War:: (NATO claims to have destroyed three television distribution facilities in an airstrike on Tripoli, Libya. (NATO)
- 31 Jul 2011 At least 9 people including a suspect are killed and 28 others are injured in a knife attack in Kashgar, west Xinjiang, China, marking the second attack of the month in Xinjiang. (CRI) (Xinhua) (The Washington Post)
- 01 Aug 2011 At least 11 people, including 5 suspects, are killed and 15 others are injured on Sunday's violence in China's Xinjiang region, raising the death toll to 20 over the weekend attacks in Kashgar. (CRI) (The Guardian)
- 02 Aug 2011 2011 Libyan civil war: Seven rebels are killed and 50 injured in fighting in the town of Zlitan. (Xinhua) (Reuters)
- 03 Aug 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:: Syrian forces shell and advance on the city of Hama. (Al Jazeera)
- 04 Aug 2011 War in Afghanistan (2001–present):: A senior intelligence officer in Afghanistan's National Directorate of Security, Payenda Khan, is killed in a bombing in Kunduz Province. (CNN)
- 05 Aug 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:: Turkey confirms it has seized an Iranian arms shipment to Syria. (Today's Zaman)Tens of thousands of people again protest across the country, amid a government crackdown. (BBC)
- 06 Aug 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: The Gulf Co-operation Council urges an end to the ampquotbloodshedampquot in Syria, and calls for reforms. (Al Arabiya)
- 07 Aug 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 08 Aug 2011 2011 Syrian uprising
- 09 Aug 2011 Australians fill out the 2011 Australian census. (ABC News Australia)
- 10 Aug 2011 The People's Republic of China's first aircraft carrier, the refitted Soviet aircraft carrier Varyag, commences its first sea trial under the Chinese flag. (Bloomberg) (Reuters)
- 11 Aug 2011 Karen Drambjan, a left-wing Estonian lawyer, storms the Defense Ministry in Tallinn and takes two hostages, but is killed when special police forces storm the building. (RT)
- 12 Aug 2011 Two bombers kill themselves in an attempted attack in the Philippines city of Kidapawan in Cotabato province. (Philippines Star)
- 13 Aug 2011 Stage rigging collapses at the Indiana State Fair, killing at least five and injuring dozens of fans of the musical group Sugarland and singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles. (CNN)
- 14 Aug 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Syrian Navy gunboats fire heavy machine guns targeting waterfront districts in Latakia, as ground troops and security agents backed by armor storm several neighborhoods. Up to 26 people are killed. (Haaretz) (Ynet News)
- 15 Aug 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 16 Aug 2011 2011 Libyan civil war
- 17 Aug 2011 A rocket is fired into the compound of the President of Afghanistan in Kabul. (AP via Salon)
- 18 Aug 2011 At least fourteen people die after a minibus hits a roadside bomb in Afganistan's Herat province. (Voice of America)
- 19 Aug 2011 A Taliban attack on a British Council centre in Kabul, Afghanistan, results in the death of at least eight people. (BBC) (CNN) (Reuters) (AFP via The Strait Times)
- 20 Aug 2011 28 ampndash Arab Spring and the Libyan civil war: In the Battle of Tripoli, Libyan rebels take control of the nation's capital, effectively overthrowing the government of Muammar Gaddafi.
- 21 Aug 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 22 Aug 2011 2011 Libyan civil war, 2011 Battle of Tripoli:
- 23 Aug 2011 2011 Battle of Tripoli
- 24 Aug 2011 2011 Battle of Tripoli
- 25 Aug 2011 More than 50 people are killed in an attack on a casino in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico. (BBC News) (AP via Youtube)
- 26 Aug 2011 Al Arabiya television reports that three rockets have hit the border area between Kuwait and Iraq. (Reuters)
- 27 Aug 2011 Dozens of dead bodies are found at the Abu Salim Hospital in Tripoli which had been abandoned by medical staff earlier in the week when it came under heavy gunfire. (NPR)
- 28 Aug 2011 At least 29 people are killed in an suicide bombing in Baghdad's largest Sunni mosque including Khalid al-Fahdawi, a member of the Council of Representatives of Iraq. (AP via Google News)
- 29 Aug 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 30 Aug 2011 Three suicide bombings leave 9 dead and 20 wounded in Grozny, the capital of the Republic of Chechnya, Russia. (CNN)
- 31 Aug 2011 Tripoli doctor Gassem Baruni tells the Associated Press that Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's daughter Hana Moammar Gadafi - thought to have been killed in 1986 US airstrikes - worked for him as a surgeon before she disappeared on August 25. (CBS News)
- 01 Sep 2011 At least four people, including a high-ranking security service officer, are killed in a series of bombings and shootings across Russia's North Caucasus. (''Voice of America'')
- 02 Sep 2011 The South Korean military resumes building a naval base on the island of Jeju-do after police clear the site of protesters. (Yonhap)
- 03 Sep 2011 2011 Chilean Air Force CASA 212 crash:
- 04 Sep 2011 At least 24 people are killed in violence across Syria. (''The Times of India'')
- 05 Sep 2011 India and Bangladesh sign a pact to end their 40-year border demarcation dispute.
- 06 Sep 2011 English musician PJ Harvey wins her second Mercury Prize for best album from the United Kingdom and Ireland for her album Let England Shake. (New York Times)
- 07 Sep 2011 At least eleven people are killed following bombings in the Pakistan city of Quetta. (Dawn)
- 08 Sep 2011 North Caucasus insurgency/Ingushetia civil war:
- 09 Sep 2011 Arab Spring:
- 10 Sep 2011 Zanzibar ferry sinking: The ''MVampnbspSpice IslanderampnbspI'', carrying at least 800 people, sinks off the coast of Zanzibar, killing 240 people.ref name=quotxinhuaquot 197 bodies retrieved in Tanzania ferry accident: Minister Xinhua 11th September 2011
- 11 Sep 2011 Tenth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks:
- 12 Sep 2011 Approximately 100 people die after a petrol pipeline explodes in Nairobi.
- 13 Sep 2011 Investigators in Gothenburg, Sweden, now think that the four men arrested for the 2011 failed Gothenburg terrorist attack have links to the terrorist network Al-Qaida. (CBC)
- 14 Sep 2011 Taliban attack on Kabul:
- 15 Sep 2011 Japanese automaker Toyota resumes full production at its North American plants, having finally overcome parts shortages caused by the March 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. (Bloomberg via ''Japan Times'')
- 16 Sep 2011 Authorities in South Korea arrest a North Korean citizen for an alleged assassination attempt against Park Sang-hak, a noted defector and activist. (Yonhap)
- 17 Sep 2011 Occupy Wall Street protests begin in the United States. This develops into the Occupy movement which spreads to 82 countries by October.ref name=quotcnnquot
- 18 Sep 2011 Arab Spring:
- 19 Sep 2011 With 434 dead, the United Nations launches a $357 million appeal for victims of the 2011 Sindh floods in Pakistan.
- 20 Sep 2011 2011 Yemeni uprising: Rockets hit a protest camp in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, killing at least two people. (Reuters)
- 21 Sep 2011 2011 Yemeni uprising: Yemeni government forces break a recently-established ceasefire by firing mortar rounds at mourners at the funerals of protesters. (AP via ''The Australian'')
- 22 Sep 2011 At least five people are killed in a bus bombing in Pakistan's Bajaur Agency. (Xinhua)
- 23 Sep 2011 2011 Yemeni uprising: The President of Yemen, Ali Abdullah Saleh, returns from Saudi Arabia after a three-month absence, amid an increase in political unrest and violence in Yemen. (Al-Jazeera)
- 24 Sep 2011 Arab Spring:
- 25 Sep 2011 A suicide bombing near a church in Central Java, Indonesia, kills at least two people and injures several others. (BBC)
- 26 Sep 2011 2011 Libyan civil war: Forces loyal to the National Transitional Council (NTC) enter Muammar Gaddafi's stronghold of Sirte, as the NTC's three-day assault on the city intensifies. (BBC)
- 27 Sep 2011 North Caucasus insurgency:
- 28 Sep 2011 The Prime Minister of New Zealand John Key announces that a second New Zealand Special Air Service soldier has died in fighting in Afghanistan. (Xinhua)
- 29 Sep 2011 2011 Yemeni uprising: Heavy fighting is reported in the northern suburbs of Sanaa, Yemen's capital. (Reuters)
- 30 Sep 2011 Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula leader and U.S. citizen Anwar al-Awlaki is reported killed in Yemen. (CNN)
- 01 Oct 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 02 Oct 2011 In horseracing, Danedream wins the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe with speed record 2:24.49, becoming the second German horse winner since 1975. (BBC)
- 03 Oct 2011 North Caucasus insurgency:
- 04 Oct 2011 Gunmen kill 12 Shiite Muslims near the Pakistani city of Quetta in an apparent sectarian killing. (AP via ABC News)
- 05 Oct 2011 Arab Spring:
- 06 Oct 2011 Swedish poet Tomas Tranströmer is awarded the 2011 Nobel Prize in Literature. (Nobel Foundation) (The Guardian) (The Washington Post)
- 07 Oct 2011 The ongoing allied war in Afghanistan marks its tenth anniversary, with the death toll among ISAF personnel reaching 2,670. (AFP via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- 08 Oct 2011 2011 Libyan civil war: After a lengthy and bloody siege, National Transitional Council forces approach the center of the city of Sirte, facing heavy resistance from troops loyal to the ousted dictator Muammar Gaddafi. (Channel 4 News)
- 09 Oct 2011 2011 Libyan civil war: ousted Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi's stronghold of Sirte is reportedly close to being conquered by the forces of the National Transitional Council, who have captured the city's airport, hospital, university and conference centre. (BBC)
- 10 Oct 2011 Iranian actress Marzieh Vafamehr is sentenced to 90 lashes of the cane and a year's jail in Tehran for appearing in the film ''My Tehran For Sale'' which criticises the Government of Iran's harsh policies on the arts. (ABC News Australia)
- 11 Oct 2011 China follows Russian admonishment of the Syrian government while the opposition Syrian National Council gains support in Egypt and is recognized by Libya. (CNN)
- 12 Oct 2011 Burmese comedian, actor and dissident Zarganar is released as part of an amnesty by the government of Myanmar for over 6,000 dissidents. (AP via Google News)
- 13 Oct 2011 A US drone attack in Pakistan's North Waziristan region destroys a Haqqani network militant compound, with four people reported killed. (AFP via Google News)
- 14 Oct 2011 U.S. President Barack Obama authorizes the deployment of up to 100 American soldiers to Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo to assist in operations against the Lord's Resistance Army insurgency. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- 15 Oct 2011 2011 Yemeni protests: At least nine people are killed and dozens injured in the Yemeni capital Sana'a after security forces use tear gas and live ammunition to disperse anti-government protesters. (VoA) (BBC)
- 16 Oct 2011 Libyan Civil War (2011): Fighting continues in the city of Bani Walid, one of the few remaining towns loyal to the ousted dictator Muammar Gaddafi, between pro-Gaddafi fighters and besieging forces loyal to the National Transitional Council. (BBC)
- 17 Oct 2011 2011 Libyan civil war: National Transitional Council forces gain control of Muammar Gaddafi's former stronghold of Bani Walid, after a bloody six-week siege. (''The Guardian'')
- 18 Oct 2011 Israel and the Palestinian militant organization Hamas begin a major prisoner swap, in which the captured Israeli Army soldier Gilad Shalit is released by Hamas in exchange for 1,027 Palestinian and Israeli-Arab prisoners held in Israel. Among the prisoners released are 280 prisoners serving life sentences for planning and perpetrating terror attacks. (CNN) (The Guardian) (The Jerusalem Post)
- 19 Oct 2011 Turkey launches a military operation against Kurdish militants in northern Iraq, in response to attacks by the Kurdistan Workers Party that killed at least 24 Turkish soldiers in southeastern Turkey. (Hurriyet Daily News) (BBC)
- 20 Oct 2011 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 21 Oct 2011 Libyan civil war:
- 22 Oct 2011 North Korea agrees, for the first time in 6 years, to let the United States search for the remains of American soldiers killed during the Korean War. (BBC)
- 23 Oct 2011 A magnitude 7.2 Msubw/sub earthquake jolted eastern Turkey near the city of Van, killing 604 people, and damaging about 2,200 buildings.
- 24 Oct 2011 Kenyan-Somalian military operation:
- 25 Oct 2011 A Philippine civil defence official estimates that approximately 10,000 people in the southern Philippines have fled their homes due to fighting between Abu Sayyaf rebels and government forces. (AFP via News Limited)
- 26 Oct 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: At least 17 people are reported dead in Syria, as fighting continues between the government and opposition groups. (CNN)
- 27 Oct 2011 After an emergency meeting in Brussels, the European Union announced an agreement to tackle the European sovereign debt crisis which includes a writedown of 50% of Greek bonds, a recapitalisation of European banks and an increase of the bailout fund of the European Financial Stability Facility totaling to €1 trillion.ref name=BBCleaders
- 28 Oct 2011 A Wahhabi Islamist armed with hand grenades and an automatic weapon opens fire outside the United States embassy in the Bosnian capital Sarajevo, resulting in two people being injured, including the gunman. (AP via Google)
- 29 Oct 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 30 Oct 2011 A United States drone attack kills six militants in Pakistan's North Waziristan region. (AP via Google News)
- 31 Oct 2011 Three people are killed in attacks on the offices of the International Relief and Development (IRD) in the Afghan city of Kandahar. (AFP via Yahoo News)
- 01 Nov 2011 The President of the United States, Barack Obama, makes Fort Monroe in Hampton, Virginia, a National Monument. (Reuters)
- 02 Nov 2011 French author Alexis Jenni wins France's literary Prix Goncourt for his novel L'Art français de la guerre. (BBC) (Bloomberg)
- 03 Nov 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 04 Nov 2011 The Israeli Navy boards two ships carrying pro-Palestinian activists en route to the Gaza Strip. (BBC/Reuters via ABC News Australia)
- 05 Nov 2011 The Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram claims responsibility for a series of bomb and gun attacks in the north-eastern Nigerian town of Damaturu that have killed at least 63 people. (BBC)
- 06 Nov 2011 A 5.6 magnitude earthquake, the largest in the state's history, strikes 21 miles NNE of Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA, causing significant damage. (USGS) (Fox News)
- 07 Nov 2011 The Swedish Enforcement Administration (''Kronofogden'') announces the public auction of seven paintings originally believed to be painted by German leader Adolf Hitler. (TT via ''Dagens Nyheter'') (Swedish)
- 08 Nov 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 09 Nov 2011 A British soldier is killed in a bomb attack in Afghanistan. (BBC)
- 10 Nov 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 11 Nov 2011 Arab Spring:
- 12 Nov 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 13 Nov 2011 At least six people are dead and four injured after a bomb in a donkey cart explodes in Mastak in Pakistan. (AFP via Google News)
- 14 Nov 2011 British television soap ''Coronation Street'' becomes the first prime time television show in the UK to use product placement after signing a deal with the Nationwide Building Society. A Nationwide cash machine is seen on screen in an episode. (Sky News)
- 15 Nov 2011 A suspected drone attack in Pakistan's North Waziristan province kills six militants. (BBC)
- 16 Nov 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 17 Nov 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Explosions and gunfire are reported in the Syrian capital Damascus. (CNN)
- 18 Nov 2011 Hewlett-Packard adds Ralph Whitworth of Relational Investors, the corporate-governance activistsmdashto its board of directors. (Bloomberg)
- 19 Nov 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: At least 19 people are killed across Syria by security forces as protests continue against the regime of President Bashar al-Assad. (CNN)
- 20 Nov 2011 At least 13 people are killed and as many as 900 injured as violent protests continue in Cairo's Tahrir Square against Egypt's ruling military government. Security forces attempt to disperse the crowds with tear gas and baton charges. (BBC)
- 21 Nov 2011 2011 Egyptian revolution:
- 22 Nov 2011 2011 Egyptian revolution: Three American University in Cairo students are arrested after throwing firebombs at security forces amid ongoing protests in Cairo, Egypt. (CBS News)
- 23 Nov 2011 Egypt protests: Violent anti-regime protests enter their fifth day in Cairo's Tahrir Square, with 35 people killed and over 3,200 injured to date in clashes between protesters and security forces. (CNN)
- 24 Nov 2011 Three roadside bombs detonate in the Iraqi city of Basra, killing at least 19 people and injuring 67. (CNN)
- 25 Nov 2011 Voters in Morocco go to the polls for a parliamentary election with the Justice and Development Party claiming victory. (CNN) (Reuters)
- 26 Nov 2011 The Mars Science Laboratory rover Curiosity, the most elaborate Martian exploration vehicle to date, is launched from the Kennedy Space Center. It lands on Mars on August 5, 2012.
- 27 Nov 2011 The cargo ship MV ''Swanland'' founders in the Irish Sea two of her eight crew members are rescued. (BBC)
- 28 Nov 2011 2011 Yemeni uprising: At least 25 people are killed in fighting between Sunni and Shia groups in Yemen. (Al-Jazeera)
- 29 Nov 2011 American Airlines, the world's fourth-largest airline, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. (CNN) (Reuters)
- 30 Nov 2011 Up to two million public sector workers in the United Kingdom commence a 24-hour strike over pension reforms, affecting schools, hospitals, airports, ports and government offices nationwide. (BBC)
- 01 Dec 2011 A mass shooting occurs in east Texas, United States. Four children are killed, all less than 5 years old. ( CNN)
- 02 Dec 2011 Muslim rioters attack liquor stores and massage parlours in Zakho in the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq after Friday prayers. The attacks later extended to include Christian owned shops and businesses in other cities including Dohuk and Simele. (''USA Today'')
- 03 Dec 2011 At least 23 people are killed in Syria. (BBC)
- 04 Dec 2011 45,000 citizens of Koblenz, Germany, are allowed to return home after bomb squads defused World War II bombs that were hidden under the Rhine River for almost 65 years. (CNN)
- 05 Dec 2011 There are reports of more than 60 bodies being taken to hospitals in the Syrian town of Homs. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- 06 Dec 2011 Afghanistan terror attacks
- 07 Dec 2011 The United States commemorates the 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawai'i. (AP via WVEC)
- 08 Dec 2011 An oil pipeline near the Syrian city of Homs is blown up. (''The Telegraph'')
- 09 Dec 2011 Credit rating agency Moody's downgrades the ratings of France's three biggest banks, Crédit Agricole, BNP Paribas and Société Générale. (BBC)
- 10 Dec 2011 The Syrian government gives the city of Homs 72 hours to stop anti-government protests, or face an offensive, raising fears of a massacre against civilians. (''Daily Telegraph'')
- 11 Dec 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 12 Dec 2011 Credit rating agency Moody's in its weekly credit report dismisses the significance of last week's EU agreement, saying it ampquotdoes not change our view that risks to the cohesion of the euro area continue to rise.ampquot (Reuters)
- 13 Dec 2011 Pakistan police rescues 50 boys from a dungeon in Karachi, Pakistan. Police reports say that the dungeon was equipped with shackles and hooks. The prisoners say they were beaten and threatened and that, if they had tried to escape, they would have been forced to join Jihad militants. (The Telegraph)
- 14 Dec 2011 Thirteen people are killed in Hama, Syria, during the latest violence in the ongoing uprising. (Al Jazeera)
- 15 Dec 2011 The United States formally declares an end to the Iraq War. While this ends the insurgency it begins another.
- 16 Dec 2011 Tropical Storm Washi causes 1,268 flash flood fatalities in the Philippines with 85 people officially listed as missing.ref name=quotwashi officialquot
- 17 Dec 2011 Egyptian Army soldiers beat protesters in Cairo's Tahrir Square in a second day of clashes which have resulted in 10 deaths and hundreds injured. (Reuters)
- 18 Dec 2011 The Arab League threatens to take Syria to the United Nations within two weeks if the country does not accept its proposals to end the crackdown on the uprising. (Xinhua)
- 19 Dec 2011 Fighting continues in Cairo's Tahrir Square for a fourth successive day. (Al-Jazeera)
- 20 Dec 2011 Syria says it will execute anyone who participates in ampquotterrorist actsampquot, under a new law. (CNN)
- 21 Dec 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Syria's opposition urge the United Nations and Arab League to hold emergency meetings after an alleged massacre took place in the northwest of the country, before Arab League monitors enter the country. (''Straits Times'')
- 22 Dec 2011 At least 72 people are killed and 169 wounded in a series of 16 bombing attacks in the Iraqi capital Baghdad, shortly after the final withdrawal of American forces from Iraq. (BBC) (CNN)
- 23 Dec 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Syrian state media report the deaths of at least 40 people in two car bombings in the capital Damascus. (BBC)
- 24 Dec 2011 Arab League monitors meet Syria's foreign minister, a day after deadly bombings occurred in the capital Damascus. (Al Jazeera)
- 25 Dec 2011 The Sudanese People's Armed Forces claim that the leader of the Justice and Equality Movement in Darfur, Khalil Ibrahim, has been killed. (Xinhua)
- 26 Dec 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: Renewed violence takes place in the city of Homs as Arab League observers arrive in Syria to monitor the country's ongoing uprising. (BBC)
- 27 Dec 2011 Helen Frankenthaler, who developed Color Field painting, dies at age 83. (''The New York Times'')
- 28 Dec 2011 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 29 Dec 2011 Samoa and Tokelau move from east to west of the International Date Line, thereby skipping December 30, in order to align their time zones better with their main trading partners.ref name=quotwashi officialquot
- 30 Dec 2011 Five fighters from the militant group al-Shabab and one Kenyan Army soldier die in a clash. (AP via Google News)
- 31 Dec 2011 2011 Syrian uprising: An Arab League observer witnesses snipers in the Syrian city of Deraa and calls for their immediate removal. (Al Jazeera)