Saturday 1 April 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Surrender by Elvis Presley.
In UK Walk Right Back / Ebony Eyes by The Everly Brothers was in the top 5 hits.
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, directed by Karel Reisz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Last Of The Just by Andre Schwarz-Bart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1961!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1961 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Jim Jeffcoat: NFL defensive end (Buffalo Bills).
- Bruno Dellinger: French businessman (manager of a consulting society working in one of the twin towers), he survived after the WTC Attack on 11 September 2001 and published: "World Trade Center 47th floor".
- Mark White: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (ABC).
- Susan Boyle: Scottish singer who rose to fame on a British talent show.
- Florence Bouhier: French novelist, who died on 7 May 2004 in Paris.
- Jennifer Runyon: Actress (Cindy-A Very Brady Christmas)
- Jim Bakker marries Tammy Faye
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - Surrender
- Chubby Checker - Pony Time
- The Shirelles - Dedicated To The One I Love
- Jorgen Ingmann and His Guitar - Apache
- Marty Robbins - Don't Worry
- The Marcels - Blue Moon
- The Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back
- The String-A-Longs - Wheels
- Connie Francis - Where The Boys Are
- Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz (Look At His Eyes)
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?