Wednesday 1 March 1961
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Davis Daniel in Arlington Heights and Mike Rozier NFL halfback (Heisman Trophy-1983.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Pony Time by Chubby Checker.
In UK Are You Lonesome Tonight? by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
L'avventura, directed by Michelangelo Antonioni, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Whiplash.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1961!
Which were the important events of 1 March 1961 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Davis Daniel in Arlington Heights: Illinois, USA; country singer.
- Mike Rozier NFL halfback (Heisman Trophy-1983: Houston Texans, Atlanta Falcons).
- US President John Kennedy establishes the Peace Corps.
- Uganda becomes self-governing and holds its first elections.
- President of the United States John F. Kennedy establishes the Peace Corps.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Chubby Checker - Pony Time
- Lawrence Welk - Calcutta
- Elvis Presley - Surrender
- Marty Robbins - Don't Worry
- The Shirelles - Dedicated To The One I Love
- Connie Francis - Where The Boys Are
- The Miracles - Shop Around
- The Capris - There's A Moon Out Tonight
- The Everly Brothers - Ebony Eyes
- The String-A-Longs - Wheels
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?