Saturday 1 October 1938
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Room Service, directed by William A. Seiter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1938!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1938 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Tunç Başaran: Turkish actor director producer and screenwriter.
- Tony Epper: American actor and stuntman (d. 2012).
- Stella Stevens: American actress and director.
- Mary McFadden: American fashion designer who introduced her first collection in 1973, astonishing the fashion industry with styles that seemed more suited to the art gallery than to the haute couture salon.
- J Bert Sonnier: Race horse trainer.
- Les Scheinflug: Australian Soccer Assistant Coach (Olyroos, Olympics - 1996)
- Dick Brouwer: Dutch astrologer and computer programmer. Brouwer followed the humanistic astrology of Dane Rudhyar, did consultations, gave lectures and wrote a book about Chiron, as well as being a co-author of others. He lived and practiced in the USA for some time: died April 13,1996 at age 57.
- Cubs clinch NL pennant
- Germany annexes Sudetenland (1 / 3 of Czechoslovakia)
- German troops march into the Sudetenland. The Polish government gives the Czech government an ultimatum stating that Zaolzie region must be handed over within twenty-four hours. The Czechs have little choice but to comply. Polish forces occupy Zaolzie.
- Tiberias massacre: Arabs murder 20 Jews.
- Disgusted with Neville Chamberlain's conduct at Munich, Duff Cooper resigns his post as First Lord of the Admiralty. With his resignation, formal debate begins in the Parliament of the United Kingdom on the Munich Agreement, but with Chamberlain at the peak of his popularity, there can be little doubt His Majesty's Government will receive a vote of confidence.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 October 1938 and get them!