Saturday 5 May 2012
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.
Hick, directed by Derick Martini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 2012 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 05 May
- A U.S. drone attack kills at least nine insurgents in Pakistan's North Waziristan. (NineMSN)
- Five prisoners of the United States at Guantanamo Bay, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (a reported subject of torture by U.S. authorities), appear before a military judge. (Al Jazeera)
- Arab Spring:
- Bahrain Centre for Human Rights's president Nabeel Rajab is arrested by representatives of Bahrain's Interior Ministry on arrival at Manama airport from Lebanon ahead of his scheduled court appearance. (Al Jazeera)
- Several people are killed or injured in a blast in Syria's second city of Aleppo. (BBC)
- 300 people are arrested in Egypt following yesterday's violent clashes outside the Defense Ministry in Cairo. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- Japan shuts down its last nuclear reactor, leaving the country without nuclear power for the first time since 1970. (Reuters)
- At least 14 people are killed at a fire at a drug rehabilitation centre in Lima. (Al Jazeera)
- At least 13 people are killed and dozens of others are declared missing as a result of a Nepal flash flood after a mountain river burst its banks. (BBC)
- At least nine people are killed in a fire at a karaoke venue in Busan, South Korea. (Yonhap News)
- The Cambodian government closes an investigation into the shooting of anti-logging activist Chhut Vuthy and a military policeman after the arrest of a security guard. (''Straits Times'')
- A super moon is formed as the moon gets closest to the earth for the year. (''Herald Sun'')
- In US horse racing, I'll Have Another wins the 2012 Kentucky Derby. (NBC Sports)
- In English soccer, Chelsea defeat Liverpool in the 2012 FA Cup Final. (BBC)
- In Spanish soccer, Lionel Messi scores all the goals, including a Spanish league-record 50th goal, to take his season tally to an unprecedented 72 in the 4-0 defeat of rivals Espanyol. (AP via ''The Guardian'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?