Saturday 8 August 1942
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Bambi, directed by James Algar, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1942 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Jay David: Rocker (Dr Hook & Medicine Show).
- Dennis Canavan: Scottish politician; Labour Member of Parliament returned at General Election 6/11/1987.
- John Gustafson: English singer-songwriter and bass player (Roxy Music Ian Gillan Band The Big Three Quatermass and Episode Six) (d. 2014).
- Vardo Rumessen: Estonian pianist and musicologist (d. 2015).
- Monty appointed Commandant of British 8th Army at Alamein
- 6 convicted Nazi saboteurs who landed in US executed in Washington DC
- Dianthus sinks U-379
- Russ anti-offensive of Voronezh under marshal Timosjenko
- Six convicted German saboteurs who landed in US are executed in Washington DC.
- Walt Disney's animated film, Bambi is released in United Kingdom
- Indian leader, Mohandas Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces.
- ''Start'', led by the goalkeeper Nikolai Trusevich, play football against the German Luftwaffe team Flakelf in Nazi-occupied Kiev. Against all odds, they win 5–3. Eight of them are later arrested and tortured, and at least four are killed.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 August 1942 and get them!