Monday 8 August 1960
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Feret Patrick and Cheyne Horan.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini by Brian Hyland.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Ocean's Eleven, directed by Lewis Milestone, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1960!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1960 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Feret Patrick: French homicide; stabbed then hanged his rival 10/10/1987.
- Cheyne Horan: Australian pro surfer from Sydney's Bondi Beach; runner-up to the world championship in 1978, 1979, 1981, and 1982.
- Mustafa Balbay: Turkish journalist and politician.
- Ulrich Maly: German politician 16th Mayor of Nuremberg.
- Danton Walker: Columnist (Broadway Spotlight), dies at 61.
- Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini hits #1
- Ivory Coast declares independence
- South Kasai secedes from the Congo.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 August 1960
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Hollywood Argyles - Alley-Oop
- Safaris - Image Of A Girl
- The Ventures - Walk -- Don't Run
- Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her
- Hank Locklin - Please Help Me, I'm Falling
- Fats Domino - Walking To New Orleans
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?