Tuesday 8 August 1944
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1944.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1944!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1944 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Hans van Eijk: Dutch rock guitarist (Jumping Jewels).
- Smokey the Bear: Named after NYC fireman Smokey Joe Martin.
- John Holmes: American porno star who was reputed to have 13" of qualification and who once boasted of having sex with 14,000 women.
- Jean-Paul Kauffman: French hostage, kidnapped in Lebanon with Michel Seurat, in 1985.
- Brooke Bundy: American actress.
- Uli Derickson: Czech-American flight attendant (d. 2007)
- Michael Johnson: American singer-songwriter guitarist and producer
- John Renbourn: English-Scottish guitarist and songwriter (Pentangle) (d. 2015)
- Simon Taylor: English journalist and author
- Canada / Polish troops occupy Cramesnil / Secqueville / Cintheaux / St-Aignan
- Germans raid Achterhuis, home of Anne Frank and family
- US 15th Army corp occupies Le Mans
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Time Waits For No One - Helen Forrest
- It Had To Be You - Betty Hutton
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?