Monday 8 October 1973
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Half-Breed by Cher.
In UK Eye Level by Simon Park Orchestra was in the top 5 hits.
Badlands, directed by Terrence Malick, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while The Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1973.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 October 1973!
Which were the important events of 8 October 1973 ?
- French Republican Calendar - Citrouille (Pumpkin) Day, seventeenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 8 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Bolivia - reportedly, Che Guevara is honoured on this day at which he was captured in La Higuera, as San Ernesto, answering prayers for rain.
- Wales and Cornwall - Saint Keyne
- RC Saints - Saint Susan of Blois
- Donnie Abraham: Cornerback (Tampa Bay Buccaneers).
- Toby Haenen: Hobart, Tasmania -- Backstroke swimmer (1996 Olympics).
- Tracy Bonner: Webster, Texas -- Diver (1996 Olympics).
- Jim Fairchild: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Grandaddy and Modest Mouse).
- Kari Korhonen: Finnish cartoonist.
- Gabriel Marcel: French philosopher, dramatist, drama critic, playwright and musician, usually regarded as the first French Existential philosopher.
- Spyris Markezinis forms government in Greece
- Yom Kippur War: Gabi Amir's armored brigade attacks Egyptian occupied positions on the Israeli side of the Suez Canal, in hope of driving them away. The attack fails, and over 150 Israeli tanks are destroyed.
- LBC Radio begins broadcasting on 97.3 FM in London.
- Spiro T. Agnew resigns as Vice President of the United States and then, in federal court in Baltimore, Maryland, pleads no contest to charges of income tax evasion on $29,500 he received in 1967, while he was governor of Maryland. He is fined $10,000 and put on 3 years' probation.
- The New York Mets win baseball's National League pennant, defeating the heavily favored Cincinnati Reds 3 games to 2.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1973 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Cher - Half-Breed
- The Allman Brothers Band - Ramblin Man
- Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
- Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
- The Rolling Stones - Angie
- The Isley Brothers - That Lady (Part 1)
- Paul Simon - Loves Me Like A Rock
- Gladys Knight and the Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia
- Eddie Kendricks - Keep On Truckin' (Part 1)
- Grand Funk - We're An American Band
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?