Thursday 9 November 1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Allegheny Uprising, directed by William A. Seiter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 November 1939!
Which were the important events of 9 November 1939 ?
- Roman Catholicism - Dedication of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Cathedral of the Pope (memorial feast day)
- Also see November 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Cambodia - Independence Day (1953)
- Pakistan - Allama Iqbal Day (1877)
- Germany - November 9th is often called Germany's Schicksalstag (day of fate) due to the events of 1848, 1918, 1923, 1938, and 1989.
- Europe - Inventor's Day - in honor of Hedy Lamarr's birthday
- United States - World Freedom Day, to commenerate the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989
- Barbara Watterson: British scientist who is well known as the foremost Egyptologist in Europe.
- Paul Cameron: American psychologist and academic.
- Bryan Davies: Baron Davies of Oldham English academic and politician.
- Alain Giletti: France sport Champion.
- Björn Engholm: German politician, Minister-President of Schleswig-Holstein from 1988-1993.
- Matti Paananen: Finnish pro musician; lost a daughter to drugs when she overdosed.
- Marco Bellocchio: Italian film director of short subjects and documentaries prior to an auspicious debut feature in 1965, "First in His Pocket." The film was an award winner that established him as a major talent in the Italian cinema. At the 1967 Venice Festival, Bellocchio won both the Special Jury Prize and the International Critics Prize for his film, "China Is Near." He was less successful with subsequent films, which were, at times, tainted with an overdose of leftist ideology. His film, "Leap Into Void," r
- Dirk Klop: Dutch intelligence lt, shot by German Abwehr.
- Ninotchka, with Greta Garbo premieres
- Nobel for physics awarded to Ernest O Lawrence (cyclotron)
- Venlo-incident: German Abwehr kills 2 English agents
- WWII: Venlo Incident: Two British agents of SIS are captured by the Germans.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?