Wednesday 9 November 1938
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tove Dahl and Claude Durand.
The Lady Vanishes, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
On TV people were watching Guest Night.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1938.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 November 1938!
Which were the important events of 9 November 1938 ?
- Roman Catholicism - Dedication of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Cathedral of the Pope (memorial feast day)
- Also see November 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Cambodia - Independence Day (1953)
- Pakistan - Allama Iqbal Day (1877)
- Germany - November 9th is often called Germany's Schicksalstag (day of fate) due to the events of 1848, 1918, 1923, 1938, and 1989.
- Europe - Inventor's Day - in honor of Hedy Lamarr's birthday
- United States - World Freedom Day, to commenerate the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989
- Tove Dahl: Norwegian legal scholar, criminologist, Professor of Law at the Faculty of Law, University of Oslo, from 1988 until her death, and a pioneer of feminist jurisprudence.
- Claude Durand: French editor, writer and translator of English and Spanish into French.
- Philippe Gueneley: French Catholic bishop, the Bishop Emeritus of Langres since January 2014.
- Ti-Grace Atkinson: American author and critic.
- Vasily Blyukher: Soviet military commander (Born 1889).
- Crystal Night - Germans break windows owned by Jews
- Al Capp, cartoonist of Lil' Abner creates Sadie Hawkins Day.
- Nazi German diplomat Ernst vom Rath dies from the fatal gunshot wounds of Jewish resistance fighter Herschel Grynszpan, an act which the Nazis used as an excuse to instigate the 1938 national pogrom, also known as Kristallnacht.
- On the eve of Armistice Day, Kate Smith sings Irving Berlin's ''God Bless America'' for the first time on her weekly radio show.
- İsmet İnönü becomes the second president of Turkey.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?