Friday 14 January 1972
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Michael Davis and Raimondas Rumsas.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to American Pie (Parts 1 and 2) by Don McLean.
In UK I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony) by The New Seekers was in the top 5 hits.
The Cowboys, directed by Mark Rydell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Boney.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hunt the Wumpus or Pong.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 January 1972!
Which were the important events of 14 January 1972 ?
- Day of St. Basil the Great in Eastern Orthodoxy, January 1 on the Julian Calendar.
- Feast of Divina Pastora, in Barquisimeto, Venezuela.
- Makar Sankranti in India. The event is marked by flying kites. Also Pongal in South India.
- New Year's Day in Eastern Orthodoxy, see Julian Calendar.
- Festum Asinorum, medieval burlesque festival celebrating the Flight into Egypt.
- Michael Davis: NFL cornerback (Cleveland Browns).
- Raimondas Rumsas: Lithuanian cyclist.
- Kyle Brady: American football player and sportscaster.
- Dion Forster: South African minister theologian and author.
- James Key: English engineer.
- Sanford & Son starring Redd Foxx premieres on NBC TV
- WMAH TV channel 19 in Biloxi, MS (PBS) begins broadcasting
- WMAU TV channel 17 in Bude, MS (PBS) begins broadcasting
- WMAW TV channel 14 in Meridian, MS (PBS) begins broadcasting
- Queen Margrethe II of Denmark ascends the throne, the first Queen of Denmark since 1412 and the first Danish monarch not named Frederick or Christian since 1513.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Don McLean - American Pie (Parts 1 and 2)
- Melanie - Brand New Key
- Al Green - Let's Stay Together
- Jonathan Edwards - Sunshine
- Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair
- Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band - Scorpio
- The New Seekers - I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony)
- Michael Jackson - Got To Be There
- Donny Osmond - Hey Girl
- Betty Wright - Clean Up Woman
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?